Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MSW con meet
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:37 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

That's right a few of us are hoping to meet up next year during the convention season at one of the many cons to hang out and enjoy the convention.

So far the con of choice is GenCon next august. (my, probably somewhat off, estimate puts three days of con at about $600, so if you want to go start saving now)

Any suggestions on which con we should meet at, how we should all meet when we're there, shared hotel rooms, events we should visit, karaoke bars nearby, etc. go here. Hopefully we can all make it.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

Post subject: Re: MSW con meet
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:53 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

http://www.gencon.com/2010/indy/default.aspx

Oldest, biggest game con. Zobot suggested this one. It's kind of centrally located. I admit, I like it because it's not too terribly far for me.
Tons of stuff to do. It's in early August, so should be doable for those in school. And by planning now, we can get early, cheaper, registration for admission in 2011. Every little bit of savings helps.
We'll have time to scope out places to stay, for the best prices. See who offers discounts for AAA, ect. Hey, between my AARP and you youngin's student discounts, we'll make out like bandits! :)
Zobot also mentioned that Con Suites are something that could possibly be arranged with enough notice.
A webcam or skype for those who can't attend in person.
And...this is a wild idea-but if we did figure out how to run a MSW cafe press store... Thing is, any slogans/art used would have to appeal to folks who like mad science, but have no familiarity with the MSW. I went there, put in mad science as a search term, and found lots of cool stuff already. Again, the cafe press may not be workable at all.
That's my 2 cents for now.

http://www.greyhound.com/HOME/en/DealsA ... Deals.aspx
Looks like Greyhound has discounts for students, advance tickets,military, online tickets...a possible alternative to a plane ticket, for those who have the time for a bus. I haven't taken the greyhound for decades-does anyone here have experiance with them?
Of course, anyone who's driving could meet folks at the airport or bus station to save cab fares.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:54 am 

I like this idea a lot. My only concern for me is this would be at a time I am in the military. If I am stateside during that time then I can easily leave on Friday night and come back to Sunday Afternoon. Course this is all speculation. I might be able to get some time off for those days. But I approve of this and hope that everyone who wants to go try their hardest to make it possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:56 pm 

I'm down for this. Next year's Gen Con would be fun and getting to meet people from MSW is even more fun.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:01 pm 

Advice from someone I know who's been to GenCon. Even if you have preregistered, the line wraps around the building, then splits into about 10 lines once you're in. So plan on being there an hour early, and eating your breakfast in line.
And shopping? If the dealer has a fair amount of what you want, shop on the last day. They'll be marking stuff down, because they don't want to pack it up and take it home.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:18 pm 

Good advice. Does anyone know of any good hotels to stay at over there?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:42 pm 

Found an interesting site with some suggestions and helpful warnings.

Gen Con Survival Guide

Read it, it should help. I'll post any more sites I find that offer helpful info as I find it.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:49 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

I don't think I can do this. =(

I do however have Greyhound experience. Buses are frequently running a little late, but it's usually a comfortable ride and they won't lose your luggage. Buy early and buy online for the cheapest tickets. Make sure to be at the station at least half an hour before you're supposed to leave so you can get everything taken care of quickly, and pack food or bring a little cash for restaurant stops- they don't feed you themselves, but they do make stops at fast food places and large gas stations.

Last edited by Snail on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:15 pm 

Ok, some updates on the con meet.

Next years meet is from August 4th until the 7th

I searched Bing and Greyhound's fares and if you buy soon the fares seem to be better with greyhound, though none of the routes for me include the new WiFi/outlet equipped buses :( , and only if you go for the advance buy option.(Not sure how far in advance it has to be)

For me: Jacksonville Fl to Indianapolis In, round trip. Greyhound advanced purchase: $172, by air: $247. Greyhounds the better financial choice though the time spent going from point A to point B is ridiculous(19 hours at least)

So if you're traveling a fair distance I'd suggest getting tickets at least a few months ahead of time.

Also, if you haven't registered on the GenCon website, the sooner the better. Should make things go faster later on. They'll be opening up badge purchasing and the like in early January according to the website. So someone remind me in January to check the website. XP

Lastly, since I'm always looking for ways to save money: Does anyone want to share rooms? Not sure if it'd be cheaper yet, but splitting the cost of a bigger room to save money for both involved seems like a good idea and makes for a place where we can all meet outside of the con itself.

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:53 pm 

I wouldn't mind sharing. As long as it is separate beds. Since I will be in the airforce by then, I don't know where I will be stationed. It might be overseas (But I won't let THAT stop me)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:12 pm 

Well, it's about a two hour drive for me, but I plan on staying at the con. Two hours there, and two hours back home every day is a bit much. I don't know yet if I'm attending by myself, or with MJ and the geeklet in tow.
Sharing rooms to save money sounds like a smart idea.
Thanks for the heads up, Demo. I do need to register on the site.
Greyhound does offer student discounts, I believe. Whatever you do as far as traveling, check for discounts-Triple A, Student, Military, AARP...oh, the last one's just for me. :)
Eating out adds up fast. I plan on bringing a box of granola bars, or more likely poptarts, maybe a one cup coffee maker, so I can at least get breakfast before hitting the con.
IF, and this is a big if, my whole family attends-we'd be there with the car. So we could possibly pick folks up from airports and bus terminals, ect., save some cab fares.
Every little bit, right?

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:24 pm 
Heh heh heh.

I can't go, but I'll cheer you all on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:33 pm 

I plan on registering this week, so I should be able to do it by thursday.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:31 pm 

Found this link while idly searching the web-on a recipe page, someone asked about cooking in hotel rooms. Now, there's no way I'll go all out and bring a grill! But there's three pages of food ideas for folks saving money at conventions.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=192062.0

C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:06 pm 

Alright, pre-reg starts the 23rd

Also, a few of us, while discussing cooking brought up that we might be able to find a place to stay at that's a bit bigger with a kitchen. Possibly renting a house or something for a couple of days, I know my family used to do that over summers, so I'll see what they know about looking for something like that.

In the meantime, what do you all think of doing that? All of us chipping in to get a place for the con, cooking for each other, and hopefully saving a bit?

Things I know how to cook:

Aroz Amarillo, Tostones, and red beans(that's one meal because it doesn't count when it's just one of them :P )
homemade pizza, including deepdish
and uhm... bowls of cereal?

Share your ideas for possible cooking too!

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:59 pm 

Well, let's see. Hotel registration for Gen Con opens the following day, and I'm sure the good stuff gets snapped up fast, with what's left farther away and or more expensive.
Renting sounds good, but will it cost more than hotel rooms? And keep in mind-someone will have to be over 21 to sign anything. I qualify, not sure who else here. :)
To complicate things, Me, Husband, and Kid are all going-we'd planned on sharing one room. (As most of you know, my husband is Mithral Jack, who was part of the forum briefly.)
The rent a house thing is fun-about 10 years ago I was part of a group of friends who went together to rent a chalet in Gatlinburg during the off season. We brought as much food as possible (It was just a few hour's drive), hit the grocery for a few perishables. Spent the time playing cards, watching movies, walking around and doing touristy stuff, and had one nice restaurant meal together-otherwise, we took turns with meals. May I suggest doing something similar for the next MSW meet up? Claire had the good idea of just finding a cheap place in the middle of nowhere, perhaps with some tourist attractions, for more of a Narbonicon type gathering. (Hey, we'll play geeky board games/roleplaying games and watch cheesy movies and eat-what more could one want?)

If we do the rent a place thing for GenCon-and honestly, I don't know how practical that idea is-
I live perhaps a two hour drive from GenCon, so we're driving. Hitting the grocery will be easy. As a matter of fact, we'll volunteer to pick folks up from the airport/bus depot, to save taking a cab, if possible.
Bring an assortment of tea/coffee/cocoa/sugar/creamer.
We probably wouldn't be leaving the con to go back to the place for lunch.
I make apple oatmeal pancakes that the family likes, and one can never go wrong with bacon, right? Have fresh fruit and instant oatmeal or poptarts and such on hand for breakfast, too.
Heck, even if we just have hotel rooms, I'm bringing a coffeemaker or something that will just heat hot water, instant oatmeal, soup, tea, ect., poptarts and breakfast bars, snacks and the like. So at the least I'll have breakfast before the con, and snack stuff on hand for later. I will be dorky and bring a water bottle. I may bring a cooler for colas and such to keep in the hotel room, and just fill with ice from the machine, too.
But back to the kitchen thing-okay, the pancakes. Baked tilapia with lemon butter dill is easy to do, and sides like salad and bread should be easy. Fruit salad is easy to make, and good for a breakfast side, or to go with dinner. I can make stuff like cookies-chocolate chip, very special sugar cookies, and almond biscotti-and stuff like banana bread and apple bread ahead of time, and pack the treats along. Yay car!
We may have some vegetarians among us, and will want to plan for that if so, so no one is deprived.
Mithral Jack is diabetic, but that just means he skips anything sugary, it won't be a problem.

But honestly, Demo? I wish we'd thought of it earlier. I had planned to make hotel reservations either as soon as they opened,( or more realistically as soon as I have the cash for them). Still, if this is workable, it sounds like it could be both fun and money saving.
The dinners you posted sound yummy!

Guys? How about we followed Claire's suggestion in 2012, for a Narbonicon style get together? It'll be cheaper yet, and still fun.

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:03 pm 

That does sound like a good idea. I'm over 21, so I could be a co-signer for renting something. So, registering starts on the 23rd? Cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:47 pm 

Good points all around Chic. Though 8 months ahead of the event seems pretty early to me, but hey con starts selling tickets then so, still valid point in this case.

As for possibilities:
There will be about 4 to 7
http://www.vrbo.com/155209 Very small, especially considering Chic's bringing the husband and the kid. But about $120 a night

http://www.vrbo.com/295963 Bit bigger $900 a week, $600 a weekend so it may not work.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p156007 $400 a night, but huge. So plenty of room for everyone and even with just 4 of us it's only $100 a piece

These are the ones I've found so far. They're all not exactly cheap. But even splitting them just 4 ways is pretty reductive of price.

I'll look around a bit more, but if I don't find anything that seems just right, then we can do the con individually and rent a place for our own nerdcon next year. ^.^

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:54 pm 

That was fast, Demo! We ought to list some hotel prices, for comparison's sake-but it looks like a house would be cheaper per night. Worth looking into, at least.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 am 

Looks like I will still be in training when Gencon comes around. However, I will still try to find ways to help the others make this a successful meet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:03 pm 

Ok, pre-reg has begun, so if you expect to get hotel rooms at any kind of discount rate, now's the time.

You'll have to register on the website if you want to pre-reg for the event itself.

$68 buys you a four day pass
$38 for a day pass

so unless you're only going to be there one day it's best to get the 4 day.

I'm pretty sure you can get refunds for hotel rooms, so I'd suggest signing up for that until we know whether the house thing is going to work out or not.

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:28 pm 

Demothesis wrote:
Ok, pre-reg has begun, so if you expect to get hotel rooms at any kind of discount rate, now's the time.

You'll have to register on the website if you want to pre-reg for the event itself.

$68 buys you a four day pass
$38 for a day pass

so unless you're only going to be there one day it's best to get the 4 day.

I'm pretty sure you can get refunds for hotel rooms, so I'd suggest signing up for that until we know whether the house thing is going to work out or not.

At the site now, the q &a housing part-"Q: What if I need to cancel my hotel reservation?

Please contact the Gen Con Housing Bureau at 317-262-8191 or housing(at)visitindy.com if you need to cancel your hotel reservation. Reservations cancelled ANY TIME AFTER BOOKING will be charged a $50 cancellation penalty until the Gen Con Housing Bureau deadline July 25, 2011. Cancellations made after that deadline will be charged one night's room and tax by the hotel. The credit card information entered will be used to request a room or guarantee payment of applied cancellation policy. The hotel may require credit card presentation and/or cardholder proof before or upon check-in."

And it looks like rates begin at 149.00 per night, with the lower prices selling out quickly, of course. Will probably be more....

I plan on filling out a volunteer form when they're available, to get part of my hotel money back.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:48 pm 

Double post!
Okay, the house seems like an idea-even the 400$ a night one would be cheaper than the cheapest hotel space. Thing is, we would need to know definitely who is going before we can even think about it. And whichever one of us makes the reservation and pays would have to have money from the others before hand. Say, three nights at $1200.00, using that one for an example. I don't know about the rest of you, but that would be a heck of a bill to be stuck with, if someone had to cancel! And if they want a security deposit, too....
Hotel rooms-well, they're pricier, but a bit safer, since you'd only be responsible for paying for your own. And even if the house is paid for-one of the benefits to that is that MJ and I are driving, and can chauffeur folks around. If we had a family emergency and canceled, you all would have to make due with cabs and such. Which wouldn't be so minor a thing if it's not close at all to the convention site. Come to think of it, the car won't hold more than five people, max.....
This may be one of things that we may want to think about for 2012 instead of this year. Especially since folks could always opt to share a hotel room to save cash. If they felt comfortable with that, considering we've never met. :)
I know, I have to play devil's advocate....
But wheee! Gencon!

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 pm 

ok, since Chic asked for what hotel we're staying at. I've got a reservation for the Indianapolis Marriott East & Conference Center
7202 East 21st St
Indianapolis, IN 46219

still planning on checking the houses out, but odds are that's not happening. maybe next year for what has apparently become officially Nerdcon.

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:51 pm 

As far as hotel stuff goes:

My reservation's

Sleep Inn Airport
5845 Rockville Road
Indianapolis, Indiana 46224

It's the cheapest one that offers free shuttle service to GenCon. There's also a gaming area for GenCon peoples. I think La Quinta Indianapolis East is cheaper, but it doesn't offer free shuttle service, and you can't arrive on Wednesday.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:58 pm 

Okay, we're at the La Quinta. The Mariott was booked up for thursday night already.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:14 pm 

ok, since most of us probably have their passes for gencon, we need to discuss any possibly coordinated events.

I know I'm signing up to be part of the amateur artists alley on the very first day, 8am-4pm for the event. Come by and pester me to draw stuff. :D

a LARP that keeps coming up int he schedule that looks like our sort of thing is: "Devastation to the Highest Bidder" From the description: The world’s most powerful and devious have received word that Tesla’s deadliest invention is up for sale. Suspended high above the earth aboard the smuggler’s airship, only the brave and the clever will triumph. Can the denizens of the auction hold the veneer of civility long enough to get out alive? Step into our fully-immersive steampunk theatrical set complete with special effects to find out. It seems to be a recurring event that occurs pretty much every day of gencon, we just have to find a time when we can all be there at once.

Other than that I see a lot of seminars I like, but I'll leave this up for discussion as to what and when we should do things. And of course there are non gencon things we can do, I'm sure. such as our usual exalted night, or dinner someplace cheap, just to hang out outside the con.

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:18 pm 

You know I haven't even looked at the schedule yet? But that LARP sounds like loads of fun. And yay, artist's ally! We'll be your entourage, okay?

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:20 pm 

Con Report

Welp, it was interesting, and fun. I would do it differently if I had to do it again. The hotel I had wasn't that close to the convention center. Which would have been alright if it had shuttle service. Note to self-get a hotel next to the convention center, and one that offers the shuttle. Arriving at noon on thursday, there was no parking to be had for love or money. MJ finally gave up and dropped me and kid off, and went on to the hotel.
Meeting Claire and Demo was fun!
GenCon is HUGE. Not only was the convention center packed with stuff, events were even spread out among the nearby hotels!
Union Station is AWESOME. There's a real train inside! And fake stairways! It's a mad scientist's dream.
I found I can make ramen, hot chocolate, and ravioli in a tiny hotel coffeepot! There's a trick to it. Always a good life skill!
I missed the costume contest, but frankly seeing everyone dressed up and roaming around the halls was probably as good. Folks went all out, there was some amazing stuff.
We finally quit getting lost!...Just in time to leave for home. And with all the streets named after states, I felt like we were driving around a monopoly board.
Picked up some nice stuff from Flying Buffalo, but kept missing Ken St.Andre. (The folks who do Tunnels and Trolls, fun little game). You name the gaming company, big or small, they were at the con.
The games and art auction was surprisingly fun-this one auctioneer kept everyone laughing, folks showed up just to see him.
Kiddo practically lived in the anime area.
I giggled at the Cthulu parody children's books from Atlas games. Where the Elder Gods Are, The Antarctica Express, and Clifford, the Big Red God.
The Girl Genius larp and the Steampunk/Airship larps were fun. I wish I could have made it to the Cthulu larps run by Elder Entertainment. They run the larps at the local con, too, always run a great story.
I am glad I went. I did have fun. But honestly, I think the little local one I go to was just as much fun, and has its own advantages. I think I may do a comparison post pretty soon.
Because I'm going to try to talk folks into going to that one. ^^

C Valente