Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: The Mad Scientist Lounge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:49 pm 
Hyperkeeper

That Guy wrote:
In order to facilitate in the discussion of all Mad Science Wars and activities, I hereby create this topic for discussion by participants and onlookers, and...

Blah...
blah...
blah...

You get the idea. Here is the place for everyone to discuss the Mad Scientist Wars and the Mad Scientists (Henchmen as well).

So, go ahead. Say something. You know you want to.

This is Lounge topic number 3-- the first and second topics reached 100 pages each and were archived for ease of reading. Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current post:
The diplomat's job is off, by the way.

Last edited by SoItBegins on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Lounge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:36 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Zobot: In response to your rebuttal, I felt it fitting to get Amino on a sugar high and set her loose on Olsen. I'm afraid I can't guarantee he'll be in one piece when she's through, though...
And you don't need to apologize. Amino's more fun to write when she's homicidal. :wink:

To the new guys: Hello there! It's always awesome to see new people getting involved in the Wars! It's great to meet you, and I can't wait to get to know your characters.
Just out of *ahem* innocent curiosity, what would you say is your favorite flavor of pie? *whistles innocuously*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:57 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

Location: What is a location but a point in a world without meaning?
Oh dear oh dear oh dear...

This is, of course assuming you are not figments of my imagination. Of course, it is impossible for you to be, as your imagination is simply the application of things you have learned in new ways. If nothing was real, then I would not have any experiences, and thus no imagination.

"Science does not have a moral dimension. It is like a knife. If you give it to a surgeon or a murderer, each will use it differently."
- Wernher von Braun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:24 am 
Hyperkeeper

A few notes, for the doubled.

CARE AND FEEDING OF YOUR DOPPELGÄNGER

Doppelganger slimes (as Ri-Xean's creatures are known) are a shape-shifting type of slime, able to mimic a human being near-perfectly. After achieving a sample of its target's DNA, it enters a state where it copies its source, becoming an indistinguishable copy. Accuracy (especially mentally) is vastly improved if the slime comes in contact with the person it's planning to copy.

Slimes are impossible to tell from their prey once copied, with a few slight differences. A slime cannot capture any memories farther back than approximately 9 to 12 months (depending on the original copyee's mental acuity), and the simulated thought processes, and thus actions, will be extremely similar, but not perfect. Enough to fool most people, but a loved one of 20 years would catch on quite quickly. Slimes do not have souls, and can be detected by scanning for such.

When a slime spots a person it wishes to copy, the slime will first approach the person in whatever guise it has on, and attempt to collect a sample of that person's DNA. Any sort will do. Tactile contact is preferable, as it allows the slime to get a read on that person's mental structure.... though any method may work-- methods known to be used in the past have included sex, forensic analysis, or both.

Once a slime has the DNA sample, it will be able to emulate that person with a high degree of accuracy. If the slime is aware of an original donor of a form it is wearing, it will attempt to kill the 'donor' by any means it can, then take the donor's place. A slime can gradually accumulate more and more forms as it advances in the world.

If a slime manages to kill someone, it will consume the body, liquefying it quickly. The accumulated nutrients are usually enough to allow the slime to reproduce. Slimes reproduce asexually; when ready, the slime divides, making two. Usually when this happens, one slime will take on the form (and life) of the murdered person, and the other will use another available form.

Slimes are intelligent, and will try to avoid breaking their cover unless otherwise impossible to avoid. They are quite resilient and hard to destroy... fire usually works, as do certain poisons. Of course, if all else fails, slimes will shift to their native form, and either stand and fight, or cut and run...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:49 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Xerox: ... I have *never* been happier that M scans for souls.

Andrew: How do you even...?

Xerox: it;s not that hard. But we did have some trouble when Senator Gregerson tried to make a house call... he;s still a little peeved there. Also, we have to dail it down for Steve or else it unlocks whenever he;s within a mile radius.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:26 pm 

Lost power and internet, be back online in a week or so. Switching Internet providers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:39 pm 

Ok... I have a post up, another one will be up tomorrow night. I'm sorry, Kinestro and Amino's post will have to wait for a bit, but I'm tired and I don't feel great.

Goodnight.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:18 am 
Hyperkeeper

One more thing regarding the slimes: Your slime is up to you to control-- so chicgeek (the writer) gets to write for faux-Chic (the character).
Feel free to cause as much of a ruckus as you like-- physical, emotional-- or social. Think of it as an opportunity to be evil(er) for a while.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:05 am 

SoItBegins wrote:
One more thing regarding the slimes: Your slime is up to you to control-- so chicgeek (the writer) gets to write for faux-Chic (the character).
Feel free to cause as much of a ruckus as you like-- physical, emotional-- or social. Think of it as an opportunity to be evil(er) for a while.

Enjoy!

We do? *Rubs hands together, grinning a evil, maniacal grin* This is going to be fun. But, before I dive in, a few questions-

Specific instructions from Ri-Xean, or just destabalize things, take out key people, misdirection, confusion, throwing Earth's defenses into dissaray?

The slimes have our memories from about a year back, and can act like us. But-for example, could Chic's dopple make a mad device? It could certainly know how to use one, but is it 'mad'?

Do they have their own personalities? Sense of self?

If it remember that Chic was fond of Wally, would the remembered fondess make it hesitate? Or would it's evil little face light up, thinking, 'Excellent! It'll make it easier to get close to this one for assimilation!'

Anything else we need to know, before we dive in?

This is gonna be fun.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:18 pm 

For the reference:

Andrew: Let me know if Cleese would be at the house, and if he isn't, I'll retroactively remove the mention of him from my recent post.

Demothesis: Kinestro and Dave Olsen don't have to know each other if you don't want them to, but Dave Olsen would still probably try this tactic even if they'd never met. I just thought it'd be funny.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:38 pm 
Hyperkeeper

chicgeek wrote:

We do? *Rubs hands together, grinning a evil, maniacal grin* This is going to be fun. But, before I dive in, a few questions-

Specific instructions from Ri-Xean, or just destabilize things, take out key people, misdirection, confusion, throwing Earth's defenses into disarray?

Neither. The slimes' main goal is to reproduce, and to take the place of their hosts, Invasion of the Body Snatchers-style. As a secondary goal, they want to not blow their cover... so, they will do absolutely anything to make sure no one discovers their secret.

Quote:
The slimes have our memories from about a year back, and can act like us. But-for example, could Chic's dopple make a mad device? It could certainly know how to use one, but is it 'mad'?

Sorta. They could try, and they could certainly emulate Madness quite well. Whether they could actually use Madness themselves is a bit ofa toss-up— the fabled 'Spark' can be either cooperative or ornery, depending on sheer luck.

Quote:
Do they have their own personalities? Sense of self?

No, they have your personalities and sense of self.

Quote:
If it remember that Chic was fond of Wally, would the remembered fondess make it hesitate? Or would it's evil little face light up, thinking, 'Excellent! It'll make it easier to get close to this one for assimilation!'

The latter, most likely. Not everything is absorbed.

Quote:
Anything else we need to know, before we dive in?

This is gonna be fun.

A few more things:

When a slime is killed, they will revert to their natural form (a pool of slime). They may also revert as a 'final retreat' strategy, if they sense everything is not going well.

The longer the slime is in contact with its target, the better it can reproduce him/her/it.

If you really want to be Nightmare-Fuel-y, be sure to note that slimes can do the 'contact' and 'digestion' stages simultaneously... so, a slime could eat someone, then take on their form if it wished.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:48 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
For the reference:

Andrew: Let me know if Cleese would be at the house, and if he isn't, I'll retroactively remove the mention of him from my recent post.

Nahhh, he usually hops around on his own- and he likes to help feed the baby GRUES and water the garden. He;s like a two year old- giving him little chores to do makes him really happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:40 am 

Would it scare people to know that at least three stages of Revel's plan have already been completed?

This is, of course assuming you are not figments of my imagination. Of course, it is impossible for you to be, as your imagination is simply the application of things you have learned in new ways. If nothing was real, then I would not have any experiences, and thus no imagination.

"Science does not have a moral dimension. It is like a knife. If you give it to a surgeon or a murderer, each will use it differently."
- Wernher von Braun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:06 am 

...I'm still curious as to know what Revel's plan is...

I got the message in his document, but yeah... hmm...

*pokes Revel* Hints?

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:23 am 

Revel, reality basically shifting uncomfortably around him, had, moments ago, walked into a ship that proceeded to EXPLODE.

That was phase 1.

Phase 2 has been completed, but not yet.

Phase 3 was the note...

- Wernher von Braun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:37 am 

Intriguing.

I can't wait to find out more, Revel! You've got me curious now...

Cue the rampant and silly speculation! I want to go on record as saying that I bet Revel's plans involve liquefying an Rhino somehow!

Anyways...

Regarding my most recent post: This is, I swear, entirely too long a post for me to be making in someone else's chapter. Curse you, SiB! Curse you AND my fondness for different characters! *Shakes his fist* You'll suffer my revenge!?!

So, how much does anyone want to bet that Slime-Flux will be a bit harder to deal with than some of the other copycats?

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 am 
Heh heh heh.

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Professor Zobot wrote:
Nahhh, he usually hops around on his own- and he likes to help water the baby GRUES and feed the garden.

Yikes. That sounds like some grues... and some garden.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:04 pm 

Hey, SiB?

When exactly is Claire and my chapter going to fit into the story progression?

I'm asking only because I don't know what the new chapter lineup is, and I wanted to know how much time we had to prepare before it happened. (I've got some player props I keep putting off making, for example)

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:08 pm 

Jane Narbon wrote:
Professor_Tinker wrote:
Professor Zobot wrote:
Nahhh, he usually hops around on his own- and he likes to help water the baby GRUES and feed the garden.

Yikes. That sounds like some grues... and some garden.

Well, the Baby GRUES need to be bathed twice a day... and the, er, garden is best not mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:57 pm 
Hyperkeeper

I have recently begun playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I'm in the middle of Case II.

Now, I can't stop hallucinating SiB as Phoenix Wright, Professor Tinker as Miles Edgeworth, and Jane as April May.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:29 am 

I can't see Jane as April May. Jane's... well... she's more like a character from the third game I can't mention to you because it's spoilerish. But April May is entirely too easy to see through for me to imagine her as Jane.

Sib as Wright and Tinker as Edgeworth are spot-on, though.

Heh, wait until you get to chapter 5. Chapter 4 is my favorite one in terms of the story, but Chapter 5 is easily the most fun to play through, in my mind.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:00 am 
Hyperkeeper

In Jane's case, I was rather more thinking in terms of... *ahem* visual design. :lol:

Still, it was rather uncanny... I saw Edgeworth, with his cravat (or whatever that scarf-around-the-neck is called) and thought, "Wha--? How did Prof T get the part?!"

In-story: New post. Now hurry up so I can set the Martian Ninjas on you. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 am 

In regards to my most recent post- Anna, Mark, Danielle, Eliza, Logan, James, Thomas, Anson, Isaac, Neal, Edgar, Jennifer, and Arthur are all members of the Umbra family. I don't know how many of them have already been introduced, so I thought I'd just say that here to avoid confusion.

And I'm REALLY looking forward to the Martian Ninjas, by the way. :D

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:15 am 

SoItBegins wrote:
Now, I can't stop hallucinating SiB as Phoenix Wright, Professor Tinker as Miles Edgeworth, and Jane as April May.

Are you kidding? You should have seen my jaw drop when I first saw Miles Edgeworth.
I can so, so see it... although, I wonder who'd be Gumshoe.

Speaking of which, prepare to have this stuck in your head all day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:36 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
SoItBegins wrote:

Are you kidding? You should have seen my jaw drop when I first saw Miles Edgeworth.
I can so, so see it... although, I wonder who'd be Gumshoe.

Speaking of which, prepare to have this stuck in your head all day.

...ok, I realize that this is the same culture that created the darn games in the first place, and I realize that Americans really have no right to pass judgment on the subject, given how crazy some of the stuff WE'VE done is, but making a live theatrical adaptation of a VIDEO GAME just seems kinda screwy to me.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
... but making a live theatrical adaptation of a VIDEO GAME just seems kinda screwy to me.

Oh, no. It;s not just a live action adaptation. It;s a *musical* adaptation preformed by the all female musical troupe Takarazuka. So it's a musical, live action, cross dressing performance.
God I love Japan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:34 pm 

Slime-Flux might be a bit of a problem...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:30 am 

The plot thickens...

- Wernher von Braun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:34 pm 

Today in Mad Sci Wars- Secondary character theater!
I can;t help it- I really adore Rutherford, and have been meaning to introduce Winsbury for some time- as well as the 'Garage' GRUES. Some time I mean to draw up more aboutt he GRUES, and the main GRUES in action in the house as well.

By the way- there is a craze among baby GRUES for little Claire dolls. :lol:

And Sayasuke's hatred of Ninja has been raised before- and really, how coudl I resist such a classic battle? Zanshitai is none to fond of them either...
The fact is, the concept of an enemy that could be around you at any time, disguised as anyone, and fully prepaired to take you down if need be preys a little on Sayas mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:43 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Professor_Tinker wrote:
The fact is, the concept of an enemy that could be around you at any time, disguised as anyone, and fully prepaired to take you down if need be preys a little on Sayas mind.

Uh, you realize that, under the pranks and the clowning around, that's basically what Jane is, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next