Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Wars Signup Queue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:52 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Hello! Welcome, Reval!

I've looked over your Deviantart Account, and I gotta say you're pretty talented! I like your art style, and I think your writing examples are pretty impressive as well.

I can't speak for everyone, but I can certainly say that if you'd like to join the game you've got my vote!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:45 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

Location: What is a location but a point in a world without meaning?
That you! I'm very flattered!

I've read through the Narbonic archives multiple times, and keep up to date with Skin Horse at every oppourtunity. Mad scientists are my anti-drug.

This is, of course assuming you are not figments of my imagination. Of course, it is impossible for you to be, as your imagination is simply the application of things you have learned in new ways. If nothing was real, then I would not have any experiences, and thus no imagination.

"Science does not have a moral dimension. It is like a knife. If you give it to a surgeon or a murderer, each will use it differently."
- Wernher von Braun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:56 pm 

Well... SiB ultimately has the say in whether or not you get to join the Mad Sci Wars, but I think prospects look positive. You're a good writer... you avoid using things like t3h or lmao, and you're fluent in much of the subject matter.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:23 pm 

Oh, of course, I was predominantly thanking you on your compliments of my writing and 'artistry', if it can be called such a thing. An amateur enjoys his compliments as much as his critiques!

Also, I've dissected ten 1337speakers to date. Grammar nazi I ain't but I have STANDARDS...

This is, of course assuming you are not figments of my imagination. Of course, it is impossible for you to be, as your imagination is simply the application of things you have learned in new ways. If nothing was real, then I would not have any experiences, and thus no imagination.

"Science does not have a moral dimension. It is like a knife. If you give it to a surgeon or a murderer, each will use it differently."
- Wernher von Braun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:31 pm 

Of course, I'm not saying there's not room for improvement... there always is. But you show talent and, more importantly, intelligence.

Also, feel free to visit the chatroom. We'd love to talk to you!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:20 pm 

Hi, Revel! I'll have you know Chic is jealous of the cycle in Coppertown.

Chic: I don't know what you're talking about. *busies herself unnessesarily polishing her gleaming black clockwork gearcycle*

I like the Coppertown tales, can you tell? Anyway, welcome!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:51 pm 

Thank you! I've developed the Copperstorm Chatacters a lot since thier conception, and I've re-written Stown's backstory slightly. I think I'm yet to post it, but I will do so soon enough...

Guess where I got the idea from...?

http://www.brucegray.com/htmlfolder/htm ... ycle1.html

- Wernher von Braun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:01 pm 

Revel Cogson wrote:
Guess where I got the idea from...?

http://www.brucegray.com/htmlfolder/htm ... ycle1.html

Wow. If THAT doesn't make Chic squee in delight, I don't think ANYTHING will.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:11 pm 

Well, far be it from me to disappoint.
Ahem. me,me,me,mee...
SQUEE!

Happy? :D

Seriously, I think I'm in love. I like it, I like it.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:23 pm 

Glad to see other appreciate my tastes. I reckon I got them from my dad. He's an inventor. I am not making this up.

Oh, and before I forget, I'll just link you to my OTHER deviantart account...

http://wireworks.deviantart.com

Wheee! Self-plugging for the win!

- Wernher von Braun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:50 am 
Mysterious Stranger

Syhrus was known to all as Syhrus. No one knew his parents, so he never had a last name to be called by. A few people considered that he didn't use his last name because of some sort of scandal. Syhrus knew better. In his mind, anything in existence was simply the figment of someone's imagination. Even he was a figment of it. To Syhrus, the world was simply a place brought together by some sort of author in a realm above his.

He planned to rule this world, but in order to do that, he would need to gain control of the author first. That's what his latest invention was designed to do. It would throw Syhrus from this world through what he called 'the fourth wall' and into the realm of the author. From there he would enslave the world through dictation.

Syhrus wandered about his lab preparing the Wall Breaker. He was in a bad mood, and started profusely swearing at the roof. Several censorships later, he calmed down and started to use a more civil tongue with the cement ceiling.

"It's only have a matter of time, whoever you are. I only need a few more parts, and this will work, then I will rule BOTH of our worlds!"

He cackled slightly, and returned to his work. He had quite a ways to go before he could break the fourth wall...

OOC: Hey guys, I got refered here by Roon- I mean Revel... anyways, Syhrus is my usual persona, and I've always wanted to write a character who is constantly breaking the fourth wall, and this seems a good enough context in which to do it.

Thanks /OOC

"Bah, so now you think you can control my actions? Soon you will be my puppet, just you wait..."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:04 pm 

Err...

Hello Syhrus! It's rude of me not to greet new applicants, I'm sorry.

I like your writing style, what I've seen of it. I think your character looks interesting, although a bit dangerously Meta. In any event, thank you for your interest, and best of luck to you. It's SiB's decision whether you get in or not, although I will say that I can see how it would make people nervous.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:04 am 
Mysterious Stranger

Tis cool, the best bit about Sy is the fact that I still control him, contrary to what he believes, so he's basically just there for laughs. If that's no good, I can just downgrade to a 'regular' mad scientist.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:48 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Y’know, I’ve been working for mad scientists for quite some time now. It’s always proven entertaining, if a bit dangerous at times, I mean that noodle monster incident nearly got me killed, but how many jobs let you say “Yes senator, and once it was killed we cooked it for dinner.” Great job some days.

However there are a few lessons I’ve taken away in my years of service, I’m even writing a book based on them.

One: When your boss has the hero at his or her mercy, and they insist on setting up some horribly overcomplicated death machine and then leaving do not make the mistake of asking them; “Why don‘t you just shoot them?” They’re more likely to shoot you at that point. Instead, just wait for your boss to leave… and just shoot ‘em! Your average mad scientist doesn’t bother to check what little is left of the hero for bullets, they just assume their death trap worked.
I mean do you really expect that tying them up and putting them on a slow conveyor belt to a single giant saw would work?! All you gotta do is maneuver yourself so the saw cuts your ropes then get off the goddam waste of money. No no, just shot them, preferably in the head, they’re less likely to come back that way. They’re like zombies I swear.

Two: A few scars with a story apparently mitigates your chances of dying. I’ve seen a lot of henchmen die in my time and there’s a correlation between the number of scars and how obvious they are and a henchman has and how likely he is to survive just about anything. That’s why I have a pair of self inflicted highly visible scars on my face. That and the story about why I have them scares the crap out of just about everyone.
How many people do you know that wouldn’t be scared of a guy who inflicted his own scars? Answer: none. No one can hear that story and not feel a little scared, thinking to themselves ‘If that’s what he did to himself what’s he going to do to me?’

Addendum to lesson two: Too many scars is just as bad as no scars at all.
Saw this one guy covered in scars to the point where it looked stranger wherever there wasn’t a scar. The guy lasted five minutes into a raid before he picked a fight with the wrong hero, thinking he was tougher than he was.

Three: Never, ever, EVER, work for a mad scientist that insists everyone wear’s identical uniforms, especially if they obscure the face. You will die if you do. Individuality prevents heroes from shooting you, they think you’re more human and thus more likely to be convinced to join them.
I could spend hours recounting the number of times a hero thought he could convince me to join him in stopping my boss and the expressions on their faces when you turn them down! They almost always look like you kicked their puppy, or sidekick, it’s a bonus if their puppy is their sidekick.

Four: If the hero(s) capture, or defeat you in straight combat, have a story ready. The more inspiring or sad it is the better, don’t be afraid to get cheesy, heroes love that kind of stuff. Then when you have their trust… don’t do anything to them, do not try to shoot them in the back, do not betray them at the last second, do not try to slip away, nothing. Let them go on about their business. If they kill your boss, tough, you can always find another job, if your boss captures them, good, let your boss know you were bidding your time for the opportune moment to kill them, emphasize the part where they beat you to it. Then return to lesson one.

Five: If an enemy or group might one day be a threat to your boss, and they insist on letting them live so they can: study, toy with, or otherwise delay killing them, do it yourself in secret.

Lastly: If you have an enemy at your mercy and are the mood to brag, don’t, the exposition will allow them time to figure out a plan to beat you. Just shoot them, then brag. I know it’s not as satisfying, but you live longer.

I’m sure you noticed the correlation between those last two, you always were smart, and yes it was on purpose. By the way, I hope you don’t mind me using this encounter in the book, it‘ll make for an amusing anecdote… Of course you don’t mind.

Well, being seeing ya. I’m sure someone will find you before nightfall, and you should give the coroners something to talk about. Heh heh heh.

OOC:Hopefully that works as a proper application to the game. If not let me know so I can get something better up

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:53 pm 

Being a henchmen means you got go to walk a fine edge. Possibly one of the most demanding and hardest job in the mad science community. That includes test subjects cause you have no say in the matter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:05 pm 

Hawkwolf wrote:
Being a henchmen means you got go to walk a fine edge. Possibly one of the most demanding and hardest job in the mad science community. That includes test subjects cause you have no say in the matter.

Quite true, but all the risks are outweighed by the opportunity to watch some spectacular explosions/near apocalyptic events.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:07 pm 

With such a small group of local mads, the henchman sometimes end up becoming their own minor mads. My character Herr began as a henchman, and he now exists as more of freelance solo mad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:14 pm 

Herr Doktor wrote:
With such a small group of local mads, the henchman sometimes end up becoming their own minor mads. My character Herr began as a henchman, and he now exists as more of freelance solo mad.

Not canon: Technically I am a mad scientist, but the government doesn’t recognize psychology as a legitimate field of mad science, which is very odd all things considered, so I don’t qualify for grants. It’s sad really.

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:13 pm 

Hey Demothesis! I've been reading over your application, and I have to say it looks pretty good!

What you need to do now is PM So It Begins and ask him for permission to join the game. He gets the final say, although I don't think he'll say no.

Until he replies, you might wanna consider hanging out in the Chatroom (Click on CHAT on the menu, to the left of the FAQ button, it's often missed) since a lot of the people who play in the game visit it frequently and hang out there a lot. If you like, I can also send you some information about earlier chapters in the game and about characters to watch out for. Neither of those bits of info are necessary for playing, but if you're curious about what's happened before it's certainly easier to read summaries than the entire archived game.

Basically, the best way you can get into the game quickly is to be active around the forums. Post in the lounge, introduce yourself, hang out and chat in the chat room... heck, if I remember correctly, Hawkwolf even posted a few stories and/or poems in the Tales of Madness before he got invited in.

So yeah... welcome to the game! I'll be watching you with great interest!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:30 pm 

Claire: Aww... I don't do any of those things. I don't want to be a bad hench... but- DEATH TRAPS. How can you not like throwing people in death traps? And how am I supposed to 'just shoot someone' if no one lets me have a gun anyway? ...and DEATH TRAPS.

Anyway, welcome, Demothesis! Good luck with the henching business!

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:26 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Hey Demothesis! I've been reading over your application, and I have to say it looks pretty good!

What you need to do now is PM So It Begins and ask him for permission to join the game. He gets the final say, although I don't think he'll say no.

Thanks for the advice and welcome. I'll see if I can write something more substantial for Demothesis before the weekend is over.(Not friday though, working on the sales floor on black friday. x.x)

Claire wrote:
Claire: Aww... I don't do any of those things. I don't want to be a bad hench... but- DEATH TRAPS. How can you not like throwing people in death traps? And how am I supposed to 'just shoot someone' if no one lets me have a gun anyway? ...and DEATH TRAPS.

Anyway, welcome, Demothesis! Good luck with the henching business!

I can understand the appeal of a death trap, but as a henchman I have a job to do. Namely keep my scientist alive and make the other guy dead in a way that poses the least risk to aforementioned scientist. The lack of a gun thing could definitly get in the way as well.(It's why I provide my own.)

Thanks for the welcome too.

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 am 
Hyperkeeper

Demothesis, Syhrus:

Hmmm...

All right! You are now given an Invitation to The Mad Scientist Wars! It's early in the chapter, so there's room for you to jump in now (besides, Earth right now needs all the help it can get.)

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:14 pm 

Welcome, Demothesis, and Syhrus! We hope to see the two of you around!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:23 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

Yo!

My name is Raijin. I'm an old friend of one of your current players, Zobot. I'd like to join the game, if possible.

I have a few ideas for characters I'd like to play, but my main guy is probably going to be a mad Rocker. I'll have more details later, once I read more of the game.

Just figured I'd say yo!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:09 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

Excellent. thanks guys, I'll try to jump in when i can (travelling atm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:11 pm 

Ok... Syhrus, I'm going to PM you two things: A chapter summary that we've been working on, and a list of main characters over most of the game. Neither are necessary information to play, so don't worry about reading them if you don't want to, but some people like knowing where the game has been in the past, so I figured I'd write them out for new players.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:26 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

The cheers of the crowd surrounded him.

"Thank you, thank you!"

Alex Vector held his arms up, letting his guitar hang down around his neck. His backup band quieted down, slowing their performance to a halt.

"You've been a marvelous audience. This will be our last song of the night. A new little ditty I call "Poison Gas Zone."

He bent down and grabbed his electric guitar, and began strumming the strings. The basic pattern itself wasn't hard, and he'd had to work hard not to play it earlier, after practicing it so much.

Because, you see, the resonance pattern didn't have to be perfect for it to work. The receptors weren't exact. As he followed the musical pattern, his backup musicians, having trained for this moment, grabbed their gasmasks, feigning like it was part of the act. The crowd laughed as the receptors began to release a green smoke from below the audience. Clearly, it was part of the act, wasn't it?

Alex also reached behind himself and grabbed a gasmask. As the room began to fill with green smoke, people began to drop. He smirked.

"Thank you, and goodnight..."

About a half-hour later, he and the groupies were going through the sleeping bodies.

"Geeze, they're sleeping soundly, aren't they, boss?"

"Of course they are, dude." Alex rolled his eyes. "That gas is my own design, after all. Ordinary people can't handle much of it without going out of commission for a while. These people won't wake up for days." He bent down and helped himself to the contents of another guest's wallet, chuckling, a slight twinge of lunacy in his voice. "And don't call me boss! It's Alex, alright?"

"Sorry, boss."

"Hey! Hey! Bos- Alex!"

Alex turned.

"We've got an interesting one here!"

Alex let himself get led over to where a most unusual guest was sleeping. "Hm... a jaeger?" he paused. "Must be a real fan if he bothered to hike all the way over here to America to attend one of our shows." he smirked. "Well, hurry up. The gas won't last nearly as long for someone like him. Get a blood sample. We can't grab him or else we'll have agents of the Heterodynes poking around. I'm not big enough a fish to want to attract their attention."

The groupie nodded, removing a syringe and jabbing it into the jaeger's neck, filling the container with blood.

Alex turned away. "Ok guys... we've got about a half-hour before the police show up to investigate this incident. Grab a few people for the bioenergy machine. No one important, remember, any human produces roughly the same amount of electricity. Once we've hidden them away, get back on the stage, take your gloves off, and lay on the ground. As far as we know, a local Mad heard about the concert, and thought that a song called "Poison Gas Zone" would be ironic if it involved actual poison gas. We were victims as much as the audience was." He held up his wallet. "That's why this is going to vanish too... if one of us was stolen from too, then we're obviously not suspicious." Smirking, he walking towards the stage and putting back on his gasmask.

It was a fake, of course. No one was permitted to join his band without at least a basic resistance to the gas he'd developed. But stage props added to the legitimacy of the concert as JUST a concert. No one would ever believe that the smoke machine wasn't suborned by a rogue Mad scientist.

He yawned and began to fall asleep on the stage. He'd gotten good at sleeping on hard surfaces after the first time they'd done this. This was the only the second, after all. No sense using the same trick too many times. "Next stop: the Ultimate Battle of the Bands, Xyon City..."

(There's my submission for my main character! I hope it's good enough!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 am 

(This is not my best writing. There are too many commas stringing too many long sentences together, and I couldn't work out how to do the line with the hiccup. It's also kind of long. Here goes anyway.)

The first thing to come out of the doors to the Port Limb Oceanographic Institute auditorium was a matching set of three businessmen. All three were middle-aged and fit, with neat, smooth, "professional" haircuts and equally neat, smooth navy blue suits. Their neat, smooth, subtly patterned silk ties flew out behind them as they fled like half the demons of Hell were after them.
The second thing to come out of those same doors was a scuttling wave of small, fuzzy, pink worms. The sound of their millions of little parapodia all running at once was a roaring whisper, like the break of a wave. Added together, the thin metallic lines that ran across their backs glinting in the sunlight, they looked suitably demonic in spite of their size and color scheme.
The third thing to exit the auditorium was a small, chubby woman. Her short brown hair was streaked with gray. A long green corduroy coat hung off her shoulders, more like a cloak at the moment, as if she had been in too much of a rush to bother with silly things like putting arms through sleeves. The pencil tucked behind her ear competed for territory with the hook of her thick green-framed glasses, which were adorned with tiny illustrations of diatom frustules. She stopped at the door, chest heaving as she stared after the quickly disappearing mass of roiling pink polychaetes.
"...Significant enough for you?!" she shouted between dying-fish gasps. "Bet you care about methane seep worms now, don't you? Hah! Ha-ha! Ha heh heh hehehehehehe-*hiccup*!"
She hiccuped again and leaned against the wall of the building, taking deep breaths while she finally wrangled her arms into the sleeves of her coat. The sleeves were a full three inches too short, but their width gave one the impression that they were only scrunched up and would swallow her arms entirely the moment they got the chance. She burst into giggles again.
"Ohh... I definitely just lost my grant."

Last edited by Snail on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:08 am 

Hah! Beat Zobot to it!

Anyway, nicely done. I like the characterization of Dr.Beard. She seems to have a distinct personality already.

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:14 am 

I think you will fit right in.

And you should have seen what I had to deal with when I first joined. A paddle line, eating worms, getting body swapped, the whole nine yards!

Last edited by Hawkwolf on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next