Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Steampunk Party
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:08 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Mikhail glances at the book open on the desk. What is it? She'll look at the page it's open to. Then, she goes to the hearth, with its smudge of blood. This is the room where the cook claimed to have found the bloody night costume. She examines the hearth and fireplace carefully.

Emilee has followed them to the study. With no Tesla device to see, and no normal party and dancing going on, the ballroom has lost its charm. Besides, she's curious. She turns her attention to the desk. She pulls open drawers, and looks for secret ones. As well as examining any contents.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:11 pm 

~Mikhail~

The book is a confusing list of letters and numbers. It's hard to tell what it is.

The fireplace has another, smaller smudge of blood on one of the bricks, in an odd shape. It looks like three separate overlapping blotches, each about the size of a fingertip.

~Emilee~

Most of the inside of the desk is pretty dusty. However, there's one hidden drawer inside of another draw that looks relatively clean. It has a piece of paper in it.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:09 pm 

-Jimothy-

Hearing a door open a few rooms over, Jimothy is going leave the room he's in through the secret passage he found, move through the bathroom with his lit candle, and enter the bedroom he first came through. "Hello? Is anyone here?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Ineffable-

"Huh. That's odd." She watched Andre and his little kittygirl open the darkened room. "I thought that door would be locked. It looks like it was a room unused by the party. Oh well... we should search for treasure!" She looked into the darkened room. "Err... um... do you have a light source?"

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 pm 

Emilee frowns at the sheet of paper she's unearthed. Some silly code, it looks like. She tugs on Mikhail's sleeve, as she's examining the hearth.
"Here. You take this-you're a cooper, right?"
"Mm." Mikhail replies noncomittedly. She leaves off looking at the hearth, and frowns at the paper herself. She then takes a second look at the book on the desk. Could it be a code book of some kind? Mikhail carefully makes a note of, and bookmarks the page it's open to. Just in case it's revelant. Then, she compares the paper Emilee handed her, and the book, looking to see if there's a code key or something. If she can't figure it out before they leave the room, she'll take the book and paper with her.

Emilee examines the floor, while Mikhail is perusing the paper. Then, she turns her own attention to the hearth. Especially the part Mikhail was examining when she interrupted her. Emilee will tap bricks, look for bits to push or pull, ect.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 pm 

~Mikhail~

After a bit of study, the paper appears to have been copied directly from part of the open page of the book.

~Emilee~

The brick with the red smudges gives slightly when she taps it. Upon further pressure, it sinks in, and part of the wall moves, revealing yet another dark secret passage.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:10 pm 

Sighing, Mikhail tucks book and paper carefully away. Perhaps Peacock can make sense of it. Then. she turns to the secret passage. "Thought so. And the last one using it had blood on his fingers...All right. I'm going exploring. You-you've still got that lantern, right?"
Emilee nods, upon being addressed. "I do. And I'm coming along."
Mikhail grumbles. "Oh, very well. Just stay close behind me, all right?" She leaves a note on the desk, in case Sirrah gets antsy and leaves the ballroom to see what's taking so long in the study.
"Helena? Same as her. Follow close if you're coming. If you want to stay here, or go back to the ballroom, that's up to you." Mikhail takes the lantern in one hand, and draws her pistol with the other, and leads the way.
Emilee doesn't draw her weapon...yet. But she's ready to, if needed. She keeps a close look out, occassionaly glancing behind them.

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:44 pm 

~Mikhail, and whoever else is going down this secret passage~

The secret passage starts as a series of stairs leading down, before leveling out. This secret passage is dark, with empty candle holders. It's fairly dusty, although a bloody trail down the middle has been wiped somewhat clean. In addition to the dust, there appears to be some sort of hair, some feathers, and even dried leaves. At the end of the passage, the stairs lead up once again.

At the end of the passage, something swings out of the way, revealing a triangular bathroom tiled in blues and greens. It's a bit bloody, although pains have clearly been taken to clean it up some- the remaining blood is mostly between the tiles, and smudge on the handles of the sink. There appears to be something in the sink. The thing that swung out of the way was a painting with mermaids in a lake, with a boy in green overhead. There's a latch attached to a ball of yellow light next to the boy.

The room also has a large bathtub, which surprisingly does NOT contain a body, or anything besides a little yellow rubber ducky.

The bathroom has one door besides the one you entered.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm 

Mikhail pockets samples of the hair, the feathers, and the leaves as they go along. To add to Sirrah's evidence collection. She looks at whatever is in the sink.
"I want to follow that blood trail, and open that door-but first, we're examining this room."

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:51 pm 

~Mikhail~

The sink has a knife in it! It's mostly clean, but there are a few traces of blood where the blade sinks into the handle.

The male servant has followed you through the secret passage, and is looking around the bathroom.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:56 pm 

Mikhail looks grim. She pulls out a clean handkerchief to pick up the knife. Turning to the servant, she shows it to him, but does not let him touch it. "Don't touch-look. Recognize this?"
Emilee searching the room as best she can, while Mikhail does that.

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:02 pm 

~Mikhail~

The servant looks at the knife. "Miss? That's one of the knives from the kitchen..."

~Emilee~

Emilee doesn't find much, but there is a little round white bead lying on the floor.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:09 pm 

Mikhail nods. "I thought that might be the case." She carefully tucks the wrapped knife away. Good thing Sirrah's keeping an eye on the ballroom crowd.

Emilee picks up the bead, and shows it to Mikhail. "Didn't someone here have a mask, edged in little white beads?"

"I think so...we'll look again when we get back to the party." Mikhail turns to the servant. "No cleaning this up-it's evidence." She carefully gathers a sample. "And, as long as you've followed us this far, come with us."

Mikhail ponders. The cook's story did sound fishy. He just happens to find a costume, which just happens to have bloodstains? And why was the cook in the study anyway? Well, keep it in mind.
Mikhail goes to the door, and opens it.
Emilee follows, and will make sure the servant does, too.

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:19 pm 

~Emilee and Mikhail~

The new door leads into a large room, opening into another room. It's clearly a kitchen. There's a large brick oven, and many, many cabinets and cupboards, as well as a big icebox, a woodpile for a large fire, and several butcher-block tables. There doesn't seem to be any blood in this room, although there are a few plates of prepared food that haven't been carried out yet.

(all of the servants have the white beading around their masks)

~Jimothy~

As he enters the bedroom again, he sees Andre at the doorway. Eclair is on his back, purring slightly.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:34 pm 

Mikhail nods. "Let's get to work." Moving efficiently, she opens, the icebox, the oven, and any cabinets and cupboards that seem large enough to hide a body. Emilee assists her. If there's a knife rack, she'll compare the knives to the one they found.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:32 am 
Hyperkeeper

SoItBegins opened his eyes. He had been meditating on the comfortable red couch for quite some time, on just what was going on. Someone had been wounded (most likely). An artifact had been stolen. Or not. It was rather unclear. However, he was sure he could help. There had to be something he could do. But, apart from the structure of the rooms (and a few interesting insights into the joint character of Madamoiselles Helena + Emille), he had been able to uncover little.

It was time to rely on Fate.

With care, SoItBegins extracted a leather pouch from a pocket. Inside was a single silver coin.

Shutting his eyes, the glowing blue man tossed the coin up in the air. It took a little longer than it should to come down. It always did.
Once the coin was just about to hit his hand, SiB opened his eyes, scanning his new surroundings, as he looked at where chance had delivered him...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:35 am 

~Emilee and Mikhail~

The kitchen doesn't seem to hold any bodies. A lot of the knives are missing from the knife rack, but there are still a decent number left. The knife they found does indeed match the other knives on the knife rack.

One of the larger cabinets the second part of the room has another door behind it. There's a piece of paper posted on the inside of the door to that cabinet.

~SiB~

When SiB opens his eyes, he is in a room made of the same black material as the doors. There is no furniture, carpet, or wallpaper. Someone has carved onto the wall 'LEAVE + REENTER.' There are four doors, one in each wall.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:20 pm 

Mikhail reads the paper they found, and sighs, yet again. "Another secret door...." Grumbling, she opens the door behind the cabinet, and looks through.
"Emilee? Will you open the other door-just to take a look through? We'd still best stick together, and I vote for what's behind the hidden door."
"Very well," Emilee replies. "I don't know why I'm bothering to look. It'll probably be a different room next time we open it anyway!" She opens the obvious door, looks through, and calls back to Mikhail what she sees.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:58 am 

~Mikhail~

The door to the cabinet leads to the dining room. The dining hall has several large wooden tables covered in white tablecloths. Thin, tapered candles have been placed in the middle of the tables. Gas lamps light the room. There is a door on the right, and a large painting of a basket of fruit on the left. Next to the painting are several hutches, although for these, the parts with the glass walls are empty. At the other end of the hall is another door. Mikhail enters from behind a large painting of a man in a sailor’s uniform, saluting in front of a sea of lightning.

~Emilee~

The obvious door leads outside, to a garden. There's a fountain some ways away, and the ground slopes down far away to the right. A bit to the left is the wall surrounding Banam's property.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:32 pm 

Emilee shuts the door, and calls out to Mikhail-"It leads outside-at the moment, anyway." She scurries off, catching up with the others.
Mikhail and Company enter the dining room. "Well, as long as we're here, might as well search." She starts with the hutches, and moves on to the paintings.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:51 am 
Hyperkeeper

SiB smiled. He had seen this room before. Or someone had seen it. Or one like it. When you started expanding your perceptions outside yourself, focus from yourself was the cost.

With care, he closed his eyes, bringing his perception back to himself. Then, though it could not be seen by the naked eye, his body-outline flared in colors outside the visible spectrum: X-rays. Infrared. And other, stranger, wavelengths.

It was time to see just what was going on inside the walls in this rotating monkey-puzzle. And maybe he could track down a few secret passages while he was at it....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:25 pm 

~Emilee and Mikhail~

One of the hutches has some matches in the drawer.

The painting of fruit has an odd bundle of green grapes, in that one of them is red.

~SiB~

All the radiation was absorbed by the odd black whiles. Although SiB wouldn't know that.

As soon as he emitted the radiation and started listening, static across all the frequencies assaulted him. Bits of words, fragments of noisy images- many things ALMOST made sense, but none of them quite did, or fit together...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:53 pm 
Hyperkeeper

SiB blinked, grit his teeth, and switched his senses back to normal, shaking his body in the manner of a dog shaking off water. What was that? It looked as if, whatever was going on, he was limited in his choice of investigative methods.

Something more conventional, perhaps.

With speed and alacrity, SiB threw open all four doors out of the room.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 pm 

~SiB~

Although the doors roll shut as he opens them, SiB manages to move quickly enough to see what's in each of the rooms.

All four doors open into dark rooms. Through each of them, however, he can just barely see some furniture and a greenish rug.

Upon a check, the lighting source for this room appears to be completely nonexistent, although it's still not dark.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:12 pm 
Hyperkeeper

SiB blinked.
"Is that how it is?" he said to himself, thinking quicky. It was time for a little objective experiment.

Concentrating, SiB willed his outline to become fuzzy. Then indistinct. Then... were there two outlines there? Or more? Or....

A few seconds later, four identical SoItBegins stood next to each other. They nodded. Then, each and every one traveled, simultaneously, through a different door.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:29 pm 

~SiB(s)~

All four outlines walked through the doors, promptly intersecting. The door slid shut behind him/them, more quickly and forcefully than usual. SiB's glow lights the room.

This room is has a light green carpet and trim, with white walls. There are unlit gas lamps on the walls. There are several large dark green couches around the edges of the room, with delicate tables and a variety of chairs scattered throughout the room. A large bookcase is against one wall, filled with light reading. There is another door on the opposite end of the room, as well as one on the left wall. The left wall has the majority of the couches, with end tables between several of them. In one corner is a fern in a large, round, dark-blue pot. A lovely green-and-silver harpsichord stands in another.

Spam Poison. I think.

Last edited by Kate on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:24 pm 

Mikhail shrugs, and pockets the matches. Could come in handy. She and Emilee examine the tables, then she'll press the red grape. if nothing happens, or nothing is found, they open the door to the right. Looking through before deciding to step through.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm 

~Mikhail~

Pushing the red grape, to no one's surprise at this point, causes another dark secret passage to open up behind the painting. Some of the wax from the candles has dripped onto the tables, as the candles have burned down quite a bit.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:45 pm 

Mikhail mock sighs. "Another one? Well, once more in to the breach." Emilee still has her lantern, but Mikhail grabs some candles, and a candle holder from one of the tables. Just in case she and her get separated.
Onward into the passage!

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:49 pm 

~Emilee and Mikhail~

The steps lead downward into the secret passage. At the bottom of the stairs, the passage splits, curving to the left and the right. The secret passage itself is made of stone, although it contains no dust or cobwebs. Although there are holders for candles in the walls, no candles are present. In several places, there are long-dried bloodstains on the walls, as if blood had dripped from above.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:57 pm 

Mikhail pulls out a coin, and flips it. "We go right."

C Valente

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next