Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Steampunk Party
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:18 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

~Ineffable~

The painting does not suck her in, but upon closer examination, the brushstrokes make it appear as if someone painted black over black, rather than simply swathing the canvas in paint.

The out-of-place tile is a bit loose when she pokes it.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:25 pm 

-Ineffable-

"Hm." She frowned. "I wonder if I could..." She reached down to the loose tile and tried to pry it out with her bare hands.

One trait of Ineffable's was a tendency to take things if she thought she could get away with it. You never knew when a piece of string or a stray tile might come in handy.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:55 pm 

~Ineffable~

The tile does indeed come up. It's about a foot across and an inch thick, though, so it's rather heavy.

Under the tile is a piece of paper.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:26 pm 

-Ineffable-

She looked at the slip of paper and blinked. "...well. THIS is surprising. But what's with the red and black lines? And why would this be hidden behind a tile? Hmm..." She frowned. "I should let Jimothy know about this. Ever since Operation S.H.A.D.O.W.G.A.T.E he's been pretty jumpy about random stuff hidden in odd places. It usually means something more sinister is going on."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:00 pm 

9:00 pm

And all's well?

SiB notices that two of the light threads- the one to the outside, and the one directly across from that- simply vanish.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:47 pm 

Mikhail looks around with interest. Swan woman,Titania apparently glad to see Quioxte playing the harpsichord, servants....Lord Andre, his ward, and an angel just exited...and, what's that? She gives Sirrah's arm a squeeze, and casually meanders to the wall. There's a stain on the carpet, and she's sure it wasn't there earlier.
Probably someone spilled a drink. But as hinkey as this place is, best to check. Mickhail 'accidentally' spills her reticule. She immediately bends down, to pick up odds and ends. A handkerchief is pressed down onto the mysterious stain while she's at it. She gets as good a look as she can at the stain, without lingering. (Does it look like wine? Blood? Gravy? Does it smell?)
Then, she smoothly stands up, and rejoins Sirrah. Delicately she pulls out her handkerchief, where he can see.
Quietly-"That wasn't there, earlier. And yes, I do have a nasty suspicious mind, thank you."

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:54 pm 

~Mikhail~

The stain is a dark red, and stains Mikhail's hankerchief a brighter red. It's almost certainly blood.

The stain seems to extend under the wall.

~SiB~

The man in the night costume enters the front hall from the door that theoretically leads to the dining room. He nods at SiB, and exits through the door that theoretically leads to the ballroom.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:37 pm 

-Ineffable-

She stood back up and left the room. "Jimothy's gotta be around here somewhere..."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:49 pm 

Sirrah raises an eyebrow, narrowing his eyes at the blood soaked handkerchief. He leaned a little closer, and sniffed it- raising an eyebrow. He crouched, and leaned closer to the wall- examining the stain pattern.

"I don't know about you, but I think that our license to not be all that subtle has been lifted. Next room? In the wall? Damn, and me without a sledgehammer..." he muttered, pulling out little tuft of cotton and tweezers. He pressed the cotton up to the blood, and dropped the soaked tuft into a little glass jar. he pocketed EVIDENCE #1. He also took a scraping of the soaked wall, and a breif sketch of the scene.

"I don't hate at all to interrupt the festivities. But I do hate to go against anything you might think is unwise. My idea? Tell the party, and get recruits to help investigate." he suggested, looking her in the eyes. He had to look away really quick, before he'd start to blush.

Andre smiled, striding into the ballroom.

"You think so? A strange party, certainly... but a strange house? Empty, yes... rather grand for such a small party." he mused, reaching into his pocket to idly look down at his magnifying glass. There was a mystery here, somewhere.

"You said you were named 'Just Angel', so I'm calling you Justin. I know that's not your real name, but I have no inclination to pry. If you mean to stay private, I will not infringe on your wishes." he waved a hand, dismissing the mystery of his name. If it became relevant, then he would find out~

"And my name is Lord André Combustible Aether Materia Emir Sturmvaus Risk Tinker." he said smoothly, half-turning and bowing a little- twirling his little magnifying glass. He grinned a little, meeting his eyes as he rose. His eyes were bright blue, and had a faint shading difference on one side- denoting a head injury from a long time ago.

"Cheesmaker. Minor lord. Semi and mostly adopted father. Doomed to a life of celibacy, and solver... of mysteries. Tell me- you said you had an assistant? We should find her. I think we;re almost at the part where someone screams."

Bene blushed, letting go of her hand.

"Well, I can promise no Duch Twist, at least... but this party seems a little odd. I'm not exactly on the calling list of high and inevitable. I- I mean! Not that I'm implying you aren't and... you know, you still make me say all the wrong things. Maybe I should leave you ladies to it..." he offered.

Last edited by FriendlyTroll on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:28 pm 

~Ineffable~

Ineffable walks into a large, open room, lit by a chandelier and gas lamps. The only pieces of furniture in the room are four end-tables, each with a light purple vase filled with roses. A thick, dark purple carpet covers the floor, and a variety of paintings cover the walls, including a group of jaeger soldiers in uniform, a large, brass door, a beautiful woman in a kimono, and a man and a woman walking along next to a pond. Two doors, one to her left and one to her right, are shut.

~Sir Caine~

A maid comes out from behind the curtained area with a tray of food, and begins refilling some dishes.

~Andre and Jimothy~

The second violinist enters the ballroom through the door past the stairs, and tries to edge back to the other members of the orchestra. This is made rather difficult by the fact that the orchestra and the door he entered through are on opposite sides of the stairs.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:16 pm 

Mikhail nods, serious for once. "Alert the party? Why not? The villain-or villains-will lie through their teeth either way. The innocent will at least be aware. Which is well. For all we know there may be multiple targets. Draft Lord Andre, and anyone else you can personally vouch for. I wonder....someone after that damned bauble in the ballroom, or something more sinister?"
Looks like they get to swank around and start bossing people around, before they even get any good skulking in. Well, if they must....

Emilee smiles at Bene, and shakes her head at his suggestion. "Ah, Bene....I missed you. I'm sure Odelle will excuse us for a few moments, to talk. Let's go have a looksee at the prize, and a dance. I'm not waiting another minute to see the ballroom!"

At that precise moment, Mikhail leans over to tap Bene on the shoulder. "You...you look strong. You can lend us a hand, Qixote." She extends her focus to the swan and the fae as well. "Something rum is going on, and you'd best all be on your guard." She points at the stain.
"There's blood seeping out from the other side of the wall, and there isn't a handy door to the room on the other side, we'll be needing to knock a hole in the wall."
The elegant crow cracks her knuckles.

Emilee unconciously takes Bene's hand again. "Then just open the door! Goodness, that makes more sense than knocking down the wainscotting with your bare hands. And he's a musician-he's not breaking his hands on that because you say so. You...you should alert our host, find a servant, send for the authorities!"

"Open what door? There's no door in that wall, and heaven knows what kind of circuitous route we'd have to take to get to that room. Besides, my dear...." Mikhail leans forward with a wolfish smile, and negligently waves a hand at Sirrah. "We are the authorities!"
Heh. That never gets old.
"Peacock? First, let's have a closer look at the wall." Mikhail suits actions to words, and starts making a detailed examination.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:35 pm 

~Mikhail~

The wall doesn't have a door, at least on first inspection. It DOES, however, seem to have a very faint crack in it, about the right size and shape to be a door... if there were any way to open it.

Strangely enough, the wall also seems to have a lighter patch on it, in the shape of a square, as though something had recently been removed.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:17 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Helena walked carefully towards the source of the stain, flipping her fan into its magnifying-glass configuration. "Oh, my..." she said. "It looks like someone here tonight does not wish to confine themselves to innocent pleasures, after all." She examined the stains, the crack, and the light spot, under the pretense of fanning herself.
"I will admit, there's none better to understand this than who's already here...." she said to all present, then moved right next to Sirrah, whispering in his ear. "...isn't it, Sirrah? Helena Narbon, but call me 'Odelle' for the evening."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:52 am 

-Ineffable-

She blinked. "Oh my... this is... unusual." She frowned. "I'm almost certain Sargent Jimothy was here before. How... unusual. Maybe he and his new friend ran off somewhere? I really ought to show him this slip of paper with the red and black lines. Hmm... I'd hate to be someone overhearing this conversation, because without the context of seeing what I've seen it makes absolutely no sense. The sort of little thing that would drive me crazy if it happened to me." She chuckled and paused. "Now let's see... The door on the left or the door on the right? Did he advance or abscond? Hm. I shall try the one on the right, and if it proves locked for some reason, the left."

And so she did.

She said all this out loud, mostly to herself, but also to anyone who might be watching. Ineffable had always had the odd feeling that she was being watched, ever since she was born. And it had NEVER GONE AWAY. This had given her the tendency to talk to herself, mostly to amuse any unseen watchers around her. It also had cured her of absolutely any sense of shame.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sgt Jimothy-

He blinked. "-the point where someone screams? Are you proposing some manner of malevolent duplicity is occurring?" he began to look nervous. "I'm really quite out of my element in such cloak-and-dagger shenanigans. Yes, I have an assistant here with me. Oh dear, I hope she's alright..." He looked at Andre. "Oh, how very rude of me! I had no idea you were a man of title and breeding." He bowed. "I haven't shown you proper respect at all, and you're trying to help me... I'm terribly sorry. Well, if now is a time for candor, I suppose I ought to introduce myself. I am Sargent Jimothy Toboz, Formerly of the Airship Fleet's Advance Scouting Section, presently leading the Wyvern Platoon in 4th Company of her Majesty's ground forces. Although I'm on leave at the moment..." He frowned, trying to dismiss his military history. "But none of that is important right now. Hm... I believe that Eff went though this door..." he walked towards the door the second violinist came in through, the door beyond the stairs, and passed through it. "I'll be right back with her, in a moment. Then we can begin unraveling the odd events of the eve, eh?"

-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:38 pm 

~Ineffable~

The door leads into the ballroom, just in time to see Jimothy exiting the room through the door past the stairs.

~Jimothy~

The door leads to a room shaped like an obtuse isosceles triangle, with three tables along it. The door Jimothy entered is on the right half of the long side of the triangle (looking toward the obtuse angle). There are two other doors, each in the middle of the other two sides of the triangle. There is no carpet, the flooring the same marble as the ballroom. The walls are a stained wood, with no trim. The table at the far end is empty except for a small, round metallic object. The middle table has some simple sandwiches, fruit, a water pitcher, and a few other snack things on it, as well as some plates, cups and utensils. There is a piece of paper under one of the platters. The closest table has a few chairs around it, as well as some empty plates on it.

There are two men sitting at the closest table, a servant and the man in the night costume.

Spam Poison. I think.

Last edited by Kate on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:50 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Sir Caine nodded at the maid, before finishing off the food on his plate. "Huh... I'm surprised so few people have stopped by to eat. I guess I better rejoin the rest..." Mumbling to himself, he walked over to the door he came in, opening it up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:08 pm 

~Sir Caine~

Sir Caine walks into a large, open room with a high ceiling. Two chandeliers hang from the ceiling, lighting the entire room. A large red carpet covers the floor. Each of the four walls has a door in the center. The door to his right is by far the most elegant, but all four a dark, slightly shiny, and with fancy engravings. The room has a lovely marble trim, and paintings of forests decorating the walls. A sign states that the buffet is through the door he just came through, and the dining hall is through the door directly across from him. Potted plants sit in each corner, and there’s a red, comfortable-looking couch along the wall next to the door to the buffet.

SiB is in this room.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:33 pm 

Sir Caine nodded to SIB, and walked over to the door on the left that he (theoretically) hadn't tried yet. Hopefully, the ballroom would be interesting.

Last edited by Wallycaine on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:33 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Carefully, Helena continued her tour around the room, brushing past the potted plant (a single glance— it was in need of water) before stopping in front of the bookshelf. The swan studied its contents, running her gloved finger along the spines of one or two.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:38 pm 

~Sir Caine~

The room Sir Caine steps into is large, patterned in dark blue and silver. Cabinets line the walls, and there is a large table in one part of the room with several chairs around it and a pack of playing cards on top of it. A billiards table takes up a large portion of the room as well. The cabinets have a variety of things laying messily on top of them, including a candlestick laying on its side, a bit of pipe, a wrench, a piece of paper, and some rope. On one side of the room is a large stone fireplace, not yet lit. There are two doors in the room, directly across from each other.

~Helena~

The bookshelf is full of light reading, except for an oddly-placed copy of 'Advanced Bioclank Circuitry’ on the second shelf from the bottom. A piece of paper is sticking out from between two books near the top...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:44 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Helena carefully pulled out the book. Bioclank circuitry? Interesting. So, Lord Banam was a builder-type. It would be nice, seeing if he had annotated it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:47 pm 

~Helena~

The ABC book isn't annotated. However, removing it reveals a previously-concealed button in the bookshelf.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:21 am 
Heh heh heh.

With a grin and a raised eyebrow, Helena pushed the button.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:31 am 

Mikhail lifts an eyebrow. "Clever...", she murmurs, as Helena finds and pushes the button. She walks over to the case as Helena does so, and pulls out the piece of paper that's sticking out.
"Your innate sneakiness will be an asset, Miss....'Odelle'. "
Mikhail looks at the slip of paper-hopefully it's something more interesting than a shopping list.

Emilee looks on with interest. She leans next to Bene, while the others are clustered around the hidden doorway and bookcase, and whispers in his ear. "I am armed, you know. Handy little ray gun, knife, ect....would you like me to slip you anything? Just in case?" She lowers her voice even more, enough that even with her lips next to his ear, he has to strain to hear. "Once I left, had to leave....I've been up to a bit of Chicanery."

C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:47 am 

~Mikhail and Helena~

When the button is pressed, the bookcase gives a click and slides to the side, revealing a narrow, twisting series of steps leading down into darkness.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:51 am 

Mikhail whistles, as the case slides open. "As tempting as this is, it doesn't open the door leading to the source of this blood. Let's keep working on the one, before we go charging off into the unknown." She then extends the slip of paper to Sirrah.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:42 pm 

-Sgt. Jimothy-

He looked around. "Hm. Eff doesn't seem to be here... wait, what's this?"

He reached down to grab the piece of paper under the platter and examine it more closely.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:26 pm 

~Jimothy~

The servant looks up at him from the conversation with the man in the night costume. "Sir? Do you need help finding something?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:41 pm 

Sir Caine looks around the room, and raises an eyebrow. It was strange that he hadn't caught up with anyone else he'd seen, especially that queen... He wanted to talk to her more. And shouldn't the ballroom be this way? Pausing for a moment, since there were no signs pointing the way, he picked up and riffled through the playing cards. Turning a little bit, something prompted him to pick up and read the piece of paper, though he was prepared to put it back if it turned out to be none of his business.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:04 pm 

~Sir Caine~

The pack of cards is beautifully illustrated, and, in addition to the regular cards, includes a number that each have a picture of a man or a woman in extremely formal clothing. Each person has their own color scheme. There is also a card of a large castle.

The piece of paper appears to be a memo.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next