Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Steampunk Party
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:39 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-Jimothy-

Jimothy spun around. "Hm? Oh! Well, I was looking for someone, but I guess she's not here. Do you happen to know where I could find a map, however? This place has me all turned around."

He added, after a moment's thought. "And have you seen our gracious host anywhere? I wanted to pay my respects at some point."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Ineffable-

"Huh. Where's he going?" Ineffable frowned. She walked over to Andre. "Hey, take a look at what I found behind a bathroom tile..."

She still had that bathroom tile, actually. In her zeal she'd forgotten to put it down.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:49 pm 

~Jimothy~

The servant looks at him for a minute before speaking. "Map? I don't have a map of the house, I'm afraid... just one of the grounds. If you're looking for your assistant, though, I'd suggest going back out the door you came through- most people tend to go through the ballroom sooner or later, around here."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:52 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Helena stared at the map in her hand.
The 'Q' was circled.

"I think this is where we are... and this passage does warrant some investigation.
She passed the map off to Sirrah. "I'm going to investigate the secret passage. I'll come back if I find anything."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:00 pm 

9:30 pm

It's getting closer to midnight...

~Helena~

In the passage, it is very dark. You are not likely to be eaten by a GRUE, however, since Zork won't come out for another few centuries.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:31 pm 

Sirrah raises an eyebrow- the Welsh Ambassador? Curious. At least one known criminal,an ambassador, André had said he would be there... what was the pattern, then? He filed it away with everything else, adding and scratching off a suspect. The Ambassador wasn't what he thought of as entirely trustworthy, but if she ever set her mind to murder, he doubted anyone would ever know about it.

Sirrah looked over the mp, committing it to memory. He nudged Mikhal, and wordlessly handed it to her. "What do you make of this?" he asked- wondering if they shouldn't be trying to find André.... he had a knack for this kind of thing.

André himself was following... Jimothy, was it?

"Proposing, not exactly... just that I know the pattern of these things." he said idly, taking note of the structure of the house... something seemed odd. What he needed was a secret passageway, or the like...

Bene's eyes went a little wide at the name, glancing at her. He raised an eyebrow lazily, and smiled slightly.

"Ho? Well, never fear, my lady. A Knight does not go unarmed." he gestured with the lance- soft and old as it seemed to be... aside from the hollow interior case.

"Perhapse exploring is in order, then..."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:23 pm 

Mikhail frowns. "I agree with the Swan's assesment, about the map. And I think our host likes playing games....why else leave a clue like that here for us to find? Surely he doesn't need the reminder. And, by the look of this blood, possibly very nasty games indeed."
She pushes against the door outline, and against where the outline of the missing painting is, including where the nails it hung from would have been.
Then a thought hits her. "Quixote? Hit those keys, one at a time, will you? And if that does nothing, take a look at the harpsichord? You're a musician, you should notice anything not right. Okay?"

Emilee waits, curious.The secret passage is tempting. Still, it was awfully impetous for Odelle to dash right in by herself. For now, she'll watch. Emilee looks around for a candle, an oil lamp, anything that can be used for a light. If Odelle calls out for help, or if she decides to go after her, it'll be handy.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:33 pm 

~Bene~

Pushing the keys one at a time doesn't do anything. However, there's definitely something odd about the harpsichord... there seem to be wires hooked up to a few of the keys, and further examination reveals that the wires run down one of the legs of the harpsichord, disappearing into the floor.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:51 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Once the passage became dark, Helena stopped. Reaching into her reticule, she brought out a candle, as well as a tiny match-case.
Seconds later, the flare of a match became the steady burn of a candle.

Helena looked around, and continued on, lit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:59 pm 

~Helena~

The stairs double around on themselves as Helena descends. At the bottom of the stairs, the passage splits, curving to the left and the right. Helena goes left.

The secret passage is made of stone, although it contains no dust or cobwebs. Although there are holders for candles in the walls, no candles are present. In several places, there are long-dried bloodstains on the walls, as if blood had dripped from above.

After some walking, Helena finds a set of stairs leading up, although the passage continues onward.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:03 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Helena placed her candle in the nearest candleholder, then ascended the stairs. A sliding door, closed, beckoned at the top.

As she looked at the door, a little voice in Helena's head pointed out that most likely, by opening this door, she'd be revealing the existence of the secret passages to the other guests, possibly quite irrevocably. Still, no going back now.

As silently and stealthily as she could, Helena slid open the door, stepping out into its associated room. She then closed the door all but a crack. Who knew if it would lock behind her? No sense in taking any chances.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:05 pm 

~Sir Caine~

Part of the fireplace clicks, and slides out of the way. A woman in a swan outfit steps out and slides it most of the way shut behind her.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm 

-Jimothy-

"Hm." He turned to Andre. "Alright. Let's head back to the ballroom. Figure things out from there."

If Andre agreed, they'd head back into the ballroom.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:41 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Sir Caine started at the sound of the fireplace sliding, and turned around. "Um... Hello? Apparently there's more doors in here than I knew..."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:41 pm 

"Ah, now we're getting somewhere!" Mikhail grins when she sees the harpsichord keys with the wires attached, that Bene found. Confidently, she presses them. All at once, and if that doesn't work, then she'll try singly.

Emilee sighs. Here she has matches, but there's not a candle to be found! Why didn't she remember to add one to her reticule? She chooses a small book of popular fiction(nothing rare) from the shelf. Casually, she pulls a tiny dagger from her sleeve, and slices the pages free from the cover. Now she'll be able to roll a few pages tightly and light her way with those. If there's one dark secret passage, there's bound to be more.
If Odelle doesn't return in a few minutes, she's going after her
She slips the tiny blade back up her sleeve, and watches what happens when the woman dressed like an elegant crow pushes the keys.
Emilee murmurs to Bene, "Who are those two anyway?" He seemed to recognize the peacock, at least. She remembers the crow gleefully stating, "My dear, we are the authorities!"
Bossy, whoever they are.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:59 pm 

~Harpsichord room people~

Pressing all the keys on the harpsichord does have a result- the part of the wall with a crack around it sinks in a bit, and slides to the side, revealing a new room.

The new room is triangular in shape, with another door on the right-hand wall. It’s made of a light gray stone with no carpet. There are several cabinets along the other wall, and a table with a few notebooks, textbooks, and some glassware on it in the middle of the room. Next to the entry door are two glass cases, one filled with some survival gear including rope, a first aid kit, a lantern, and a canteen, and the other empty except for what appear to be holders for something. On the floor is a large bloodstain. Smears from the bloodstain extend across the room and out the other door. Something metallic glints in the bloodstain.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:39 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Helena grinned behind her mask.

"Come away with me, O noble Cavalier, to the hidden land beneath this great palace," she said, trying not to crack up. After a few seconds, she couldn't.
"*snerk* Seriously, there's some interesting secret passages in this place. Take a look!"

Helena would have stayed longer, but she realized the others would most likely want to know where she was. Giving a final wave to Sir Caine, she turned around, heading back to the room with the harpsichord. Looking through a small spy-hole in the bookcase door, Helena waited until everyone was examining the new, triangular room, and the blood.

Then, opening the bookcase and stepping silently out, she braced herself to dodge whatever attack would inevitably come her way, and yelled, "BOO!"
Good times.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:52 pm 

Chuckling, Sir Caine took a quick look around the room before stepping into the passage. A fireplace door was a lot more interesting than any regular door could be. "Well, lead on then! Lets see where this hidden land is!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:30 pm 

Emilee is in the doorway, looking with curiosity at the odd triangular room, when from behind her comes a "BOO!"
She jumps, unable to help herself, and 'Eeks!' Then she turns to see the smirking Odelle.
"Madre de dios! Odelle, you aren't a swan, you're a turkey!", she scolds. Then she notices Sir Caine has followed Odelle back through the passage.
Emilee shakes her head, and composes herself. "All right, what did you find, besides a fellow guest?"
Mikhail is taking a close look at the blood, and the metal bits in the puddle.
Emilee picks up the first aid kit."Whoever's going back to the tunnels, take the lantern. I'm going through this other door here, and following the bloodstain. Anyone want to come along?"

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:46 pm 

~Jimothy and Andre~

A second servant enters the isosceles-triangle room and glances at them.

~Mikhail~

The bit of metal appears to be a blood-stained key. The letter 'H' is stamped in the handle.

~Emilee~

Opening the other door reveals a room made of the same black material as the doors. There is no furniture, carpet, or wallpaper. Someone has carved onto the wall 'LEAVE + REENTER.' There are two other doors, one in the wall to her left, and one in the wall to her right.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:14 pm 

"Leave + Re-enter? Odd", Emilee muses. Perhaps it means she should step back out, and in again? Well, she has no reason to trust such cryptic instructions, if that's even what it means. Besides, she can always try that later, if need be.
She takes out a few of the pages from the book she cut apart, and wedges the door open behind her. Wouldn't do to have it slam shut. Then, she confidently opens the door to her right. Her right hand is at her left wrist-she can draw a weapon in a heartbeat.

Mikhail shows Sirrah the bloodstained key. "What do you make of this? Does it look like it opens anything here? Best keep it just in case."
Then she turns her attention to the notebooks and textbooks in the room. Perhaps they'll yield a clue as to what kind of experiments take place here. She sighs as the fairie immediately goes off to explore. "We have a map, and she's not even looking at it. You'd think she was at a party....oh, right." Mikhail shakes her head, and gets back to examing things.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:56 pm 

~SiB~

Emilee opens the door that should lead toward the ballroom, her right hand at her left wrist, and peers through the doorway. The servant in the room blinks, looking past Emilee.

"Miss, please come through and shut the door."

~Mikhail~

The notebooks mostly contain a variety of notes on the servants of the house. For the most part, they're pretty similar, although special attention has been paid to the groundskeeper, Jasper. The notes also mention a specific kind of mushroom growing near a shed in the woods, for some odd reason. Someone named Clemence Bergin has also been mentioned, although he isn't a servant here. The textbooks are mostly biology related, with an emphasis on the brains and behaviors of a variety of animals, including mice and several insects.

There seems to have been a recent experiment done on some of the pasta from the buffet room.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:50 pm 

Mikhail frowns. "Brains and behavior? And aren't some mushroom hallucinogenic? I don't like this at all." She turns to the others. "Anyone here eat the pasta?"

Emilee frowns at the servant. "I will step through when I'm ready." She turns around, and calls to the others. (She left the door leading from the experiment room to the bare room open, remember?) "I'm off to the ballroom-anyone coming with?"

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:54 pm 

~Emilee~

The servant sighs. "Miss, if you want to get to the ballroom, you'll have to come out of there and close the door. It's just a slight problem with the room, and it'll be fixed momentarily."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:18 pm 

~Andre and David~

Enough people have entered the ballroom now that it's starting to look slightly populated. All the musicians are playing, two male servants are carrying trays of drinks about, and the man in the all-pink costume is talking to the man in the feathered costume as the man in the night costume calmly admires the Tesla gizmo.

The lights go out.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:28 pm 

Sirrah picked up the blood stained key- he was all but agog at each new development. More and more pieces but he wasn't putting it together just yet. He turned it over and scared at the metal, checking the make, how often it might have been used, how old the blood was... he even tensted to see if it might come apart, or be hollow.

Regardless of what he found, it went into a slim case for evidence, which went into his pocket with everything else.

"It might. And blast it- civillian out of sight!" he groused, shaking hsi head... before blinking.

"Eat...? Tch, no. Not in an unsecured building I don't. And if André ever made it here he wouldn't have either. Not since the time that sweet seeming old lady dosed his tea." he sniffed a little, wondering what it would take to eat the food at such a sketchy party...

Before he quietly realized...

"....muskets. Bene!" he whirled, only to quietly slp his forhead.

There was Bene, leaning against the wall and finishing off a container of the spagetti he had snatched at some point. Most of hsi money, after all, went right back into his inventions.

"Well, i guess we get to find out just how dangerous those are... Bene! Spit that out! How do you always find these things..."

André blined as the lights went out, and narrowed hsi eyes- he made a beeline for where the device out to have been, weaving expertly though the crowd as he reached out- intent on touching the space where the device should be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:34 pm 

~Sirrah~

The blood is relatively fresh, maybe about an hour old. The key looks like it's been used frequently enough to avoid rust or dirt, but doesn't look worn.

~Bene~

The pasta is tasty.

~Andre~

In the dark, someone hits him, sending them both sprawling.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:37 pm 

Sirrah grunted, going over his info about the key.
"The blood is frech The key is well used, but not worn with time and age. And dammit Bene! Stop EATING that." he snapped.

bene swallowed, and shrugged. "It;s good enough for me, Billyclub. nice outfit, by the way."

Andre grunted, knocked easily tot he ground.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 pm 

Emilee hesitates, and steps through the door. She didn't think they'll all stay back there, examining the bloodstain. Well, she called out-they know she's all right, and where she's going. Let the five of them try to puzzle the stain out.
She'll keep her eyes open for signs of foul play, now that she knows that something's afoot.
Hmm. Wonder if it really is a Tesla device on display, or just bait to ensure they attended?
Let's see. Bene she knows. He seemed to be on familiar terms with Peacock. Peacock is with Crow, assume Crow is all right. Peacock knows Swan. And she's figured out the Man in the Iron Mask is Sir Caine-he's no villain. All right, then. Find the other guests, and mingle.
Not like she can't protect herself, after all!

Mikhail takes the notebooks, placing them in her reticule. Evidence. And she doesn't want them disappearing. Plus, they may be vital in figuring out a treatment, if folks have been poisoned. She steps over to Don Quixote. "Peacock is fussing at you to spit it out, because it's been tampered with. Unless you want to possibly be the Ex Don Quixote, I suggest you make yourself throw up. Or be stubborn, your choice." She turns to Man in the Iron Mask, and Swan. "Either of you have any food? Or know if Miss Fae did? Let us know if you start feeling dodgy. Not that we can do anything....I'm no doctor. And on that cheerful note, I vote we stick together. Peacock, you want to hunt up the guests, or explore the passageways? We've got a lantern."

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 pm 

~Emilee~

The servant quickly slides the door shut behind her.

~Mikhail, Sirrah, Bene, et. al.~

The door, which Emilee had propped open, suddenly slides shut.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:00 pm 

10 pm

Do you know where your children are?

~the ballroom~

The lights turn back on. The man in the night costume is sprawled on the floor with Andre. Unfortunately, it looks like Andre wasn't the only one who had an idea when the lights shut off... the man in the fae costume is standing next to the pedestal, as is one of the servants, who is fretting. The musicians all look rather confused. The other servant is looking mildly annoyed, but quickly changes to surprise. The man in the seagull costume looks a bit confused, then walks over to the pedestal. The woman in the butterfly costume walks in from the door past the stairs and looks around at everyone, also confused.

The Tesla gizmo, unsurprisingly to anyone familiar with mystery stories, is missing.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next