Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: Behind the Scenes at the Clockwork Soirée
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:12 am 
Hyperkeeper

I noticed that the Party has no backstage topic, so I have started one.

And yes, that is the genuine article.

Post subject: Re: Behind the Scenes at the Clockwork Soirée
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:12 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Yaaay! More SiB! We haven't seen ye in many a day, matey!

...ok, why am I talking like a pirate?

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:36 am 

Emilee: *shoves a ladylike mother of pearl inlaid blaster under Zobot's chin* (probably standing on a chair to do so) Why indeed? I'm the pirate here! Well, Airship pirate anyway. Though that aspect hasn't been invoked during the ball....yet. *releases Zobot* Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to resume casing the house mingling with the other guests.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:01 pm 

Ok, a heads up for posting in the game-

Sabatier Banam's house is big. And somewhat confusing. I'm doing my best to keep track of where everyone is, but I do need people to help me out a bit...

If you're in a room, you have to pick a door to go through. I'll tell you what room you end up in and provide a brief description of it. That's why I've been really careful describing which doors there are.

If you don't like the wall of text, poke me on AIM (I'm on a lot) or PM me or something and I'll tell you where the obvious doors are in the room you're in. (Although there is important stuff in the wall of text, on occasion- look at stuff! Stuff can be very interesting to look at!)

If certain things happen later on, you won't have to do this, but for now, you have to go through one room at a time. Sorry I didn't detail this better earlier.

(and yes, you can find maps, so hopefully that will help)

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:53 am 
Hyperkeeper

I think I figured out what's going on. Assume a jammed door always connects the same two rooms.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:27 pm 

SiB? You're gonna have to change your post. There are a couple of problems with it, the biggest one being that as soon as you start trying to destroy doors, the servants are going to ask you what you're doing...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:22 pm 
Heh heh heh.

I always thought Helena and Emille needed to bump into one another. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:40 pm 

I may be the only person doing this, but I felt like I should list sources for my not-at-all-well-developed reference costume.

Ineffable Mysterious NPC is of course, just wearing a generic kitty costume. Something that's entirely out of period, of course. My characters never seem to wear period pieces.

Sargent Jimothy Toboz is dressed as an Angel, but specifically as a character NAMED Angel from a fairly silly comic about cowardly adventurers. (I don't usually read sprite comics, but I make this one exception). His backstory is largely developedhere.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:51 pm 
Heh heh heh.

I'm willing to bet that Helena would have at least an acquaintance with Sirrah, given her status and all. If not... well, I'm just going to cross my fingers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:02 am 

A bit of completely irrevalent backstory:

First of all, I'm assuming since this is has frequently been referred to as a Victorian game, that it's set at some point in the aforementioned era.

The Wyvern Platoon is the group of ground units Sargent Jimothy heads up. Know for a single (yet very recent) military encounter where they turned a seemingly hopeless tactical situation into an unexpected military upset: the finer details of this event largely involved them holding an entrenched position against a large charging force for far, FAR longer than anyone would have expected a force their size to have managed to. This gave other forces on their side time to rally, push forward, and strike the same enemy from another side, decimating them decisively. Although most of the credit lies in the valiant men who came back for their comrades and saved the Wyvern platoon from almost certain extermination, Jimothy and his men (And women) have recieved a-bit-more-than-is-due credit for their supposed valor and tactical cunning. The fact that despite being under heavy enemy pressure only a single casualty was sustained by the entire platoon lends some legitimacy to their reputation, although Jimothy himself is quite dismissive of any accolades.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:20 pm 

I was worried the party was getting a bit boring...

Mysterious bloodstains are boring, right? Or was I thinking of something else?

...eh, hopefully no harm done. :twisted:

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:31 pm 

Ok, so I was wondering how people would feel about doing a chat session to try to get a bit further in party on Sunday night? There's a lot of the house still unexplored, and I figured this'd be easier for some people...

So are people free on Sunday after 11 pm eastern? It'd probably only be for about an hour or two.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:07 pm 

Maybe...I'm at work until 10 eastern. If I get to leave on time, I can.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:32 am 
Hyperkeeper

Although the end of the month has arrived, I would like to suggest that the ending date for the Party be made unfixed: That way, there won't be quite as much pressure. (Also, I've absolutely no idea about what's going on with the mystery.)

The coin will take SiB to a random room, with a higher chance of sending him somewhere where he can be useful or where he can find something of interest.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:11 am 

SoItBegins wrote:
Although the end of the month has arrived, I would like to suggest that the ending date for the Party be made unfixed: That way, there won't be quite as much pressure. (Also, I've absolutely no idea about what's going on with the mystery.)

The coin will take SiB to a random room, with a higher chance of sending him somewhere where he can be useful or where he can find something of interest.

I second this motion: I'd love to see the ending.

Additionally, while I have a pretty good idea of what's going on, or at least I'd like to think so, would you consider posting a recap, Claire? To get everyone up to speed?

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 am 

SoItBegins wrote:

Yeah, I got way behind on the dates... since I can't do the chat thing THIS Sunday (test Monday morning), I was thinking you'd have until a week from Sunday, then it'd be 11:00, and then we could do 11:00 in chat, and see how far that took us, and go from there. The party itself WILL end at 12, although Sirrah may arrest some people or something after that.

As far as the recap:

A pool of blood was found in one of the sitting rooms. People followed its trail for a while, and are now in the kitchen.

The Tesla gizmo was stolen while the lights were out, then quickly found in the pocket of the man with the night costume. It was determined to be a fake. The man in the night costume is apparently one of the servants, who claims he found the costume. The costume has a large gash and some blood on it in the front, which he was concealing with the cloak.

Someone clonked Eclair over the head, tied her up, and shoved her in a secret passage while she was exploring the upstairs. Andre found her, then went searching for Jimothy, who was also looking upstairs.

People's current locations:

Sir Caine: (I'm not sure, but I'd say probably the ballroom)

Sirrah: Ballroom

Emille, Mikhail: kitchen

Helena: either the study, the secret passage in the study, or the kitchen

Andre: Upstairs, looking into a dark room off the library

Jimothy: Entering the room Andre is looking into (from a different door), holding a candle

Ineffable: Behind Andre

Eclair: With her Da

Bene: Harpsichord room with the bloodstain

SiB: ???

(If I missed or am wrong about anyone, let me know)

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:45 pm 

While I'm gone, I'm just going to say that if it's ok with everyone, Jimothy and Ineffable will tag along with Andre, sharing what information I've gained with him.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:28 pm 

Alright. If enough people show up in chat on Sunday, we'll be doing the Mystery thing again. Probably 11 pm central, although possibly earlier depending on when people show up. The SiB and Zobot/Tinker groups will probably go first, seeing as everyone else is in the ballroom.

(SiB, if you want to poke around through AIM for a bit, let me know and I'll see if we can find a good time to do that, too)

With some luck, we can wrap the story up on Sunday, but I might extend it another week if necessary.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:13 pm 

Maps Maps Maps...

Attachments:
2nd Floor Center basic map.jpg
2nd Floor Center basic map.jpg [ 13.9 KiB | Viewed 1945 times ]
2nd Floor Outer Ring complete.jpg
2nd Floor Outer Ring complete.jpg [ 22.44 KiB | Viewed 1945 times ]
1st Floor Outer Ring complete.jpg
1st Floor Outer Ring complete.jpg [ 37.97 KiB | Viewed 1945 times ]
1st Floor Inner Ring basic map.jpg
1st Floor Inner Ring basic map.jpg [ 10.33 KiB | Viewed 1945 times ]
1st Floor 2nd Ring complete.jpg
1st Floor 2nd Ring complete.jpg [ 20.8 KiB | Viewed 1945 times ]

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm 

Here's another thing I remember Jimothy found, since he's not here... it's a list.

B-K
C-H
S-P
Q-M-U
C-G-L
R-W
6-4
4-2a

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:57 pm 

Ok, I'd LIKE to do one more chat session to finish this up, but I'm not sure how to coordinate it. So if someone could help with that, that'd be wonderful... post schedules like for Exalted, I guess?

The other thing is if you missed the chat session, you can skip past the log I posted and to the post I made directly after that, which has pretty much all you need to know to get caught up. I'm declaring everyone except Bene to be in the ballroom at this point.

EDIT: Oh, and people should post the letters or whatever they've found, since you're all sharing them and I can't remember which letters people found.

Spam Poison. I think.

Last edited by Kate on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 pm 

I;m free any night but wends day night this week. ^^

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:33 pm 

Alright, we're going to try for Sunday night, and see how many people we can get then...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:16 pm 

For simplicity's sake, I'm going to say that everyone is headed to the basement except Sir Caine (since Wally's going to be busy), who's going to stay upstairs and keep an eye on the NPC's who aren't in the basement.

Sorry about the railroading, but pretty much everything interesting is going to happen in the basement right now anyway, so it's not like you're missing anything, and I don't think it's out of character for anyone.

(I don't know where Bene is, so I'll say that if he wants, he somehow found his way to the ballroom, but otherwise he'll have to sit this out)

Spam Poison. I think.

Last edited by Kate on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:19 am 
Hyperkeeper

Congratulations! The Story has been Completed and Concluded, and an Apophthegm of Sorts has been Posted to Serve to Cap it. Thanks are Graciously Given to All who Participated.

~

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]