Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A Mad Sale
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:51 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

"You can't be serious..." The speaker was a large man, dressed sharply in a custom tailored and sat at a long table of similarly dressed individuals. They all looked between the speaker and the man at the head of the table silently, weighing and measuring things in their minds. "A black friday sale? With our customer base?"

The man at the head of the table simply smiled back, the very picture of relaxed. "And? Just because they are Mad, doesn't mean they don't deserve to partake of the best deals the season offers." He responded mildly, motioning slightly.

"They're Mad, how do you expect to keep them from destroying the store?!" The first man asked incredulously, drawing a grin from the second.

"The same way you'd expect to keep other customers from destroying normal stores. A mutual understanding that if they do that they don't get to shop there anymore, and police presence, just as a reminder. After that we can absorb some losses by the sheer amount of profit." The board murmured their agreement, though there was still one point the first man had to bring up.

"What police presence would actually stop a mad from doing whatever they damn well pleased?" The man at the head of the table smiled again. "Simple, M will have to be there to make sure nothing happens. Oh sure they'll complain and try to find some loophole to stop us, but I've filled out all the proper forms." Agent Keaton, or Mr. Keaton as he was known to the board of trustees at McMads R Usmart, grinned broadly.

Several Months Later

A line of mad scientists wrapped around an enormous building in the middle of the shopping district of Xyon. There had already been a few altercations, but for the most part, the fact that M was there kept things from getting out of hand.

Inside the employees of the company were terrified. They'd already had enough trouble just running the store on a regular day, since some mads would rather just take what they wanted than buy it. Now with the mass of mads outside the store they knew things would only get worse today. It was only the excellent pay the store offered and the fact that most of them had worked as henches before and knew what they were dealing with, that kept them from bolting.

Then.
Then the doors opened and the madness began.
(Have fun folks.)

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

Post subject: Re: A Mad Sale
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:54 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-A scene at the opening-

"Boss! Quick, grab my hand!" Sarcastic stretched out in desperation.

David stretched his arm out for her... but it was too late!

The crowds surged, as they started getting pulled apart. David gasped. "Nooooooo!" as he was swept past his friends.

Sarcastic scowled. "Well... crap. Now what?"

Natalie looked over at her. "Eh, he just got carried to another part of the store. We'll run into him again, I think. Hey, let's grab some of those "Mad Scientist Mao" chemistry sets... my little brother wanted one."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:25 pm 

Money? Check.
Comfy shoes? Check?
Weapons? Check.
Chic activates her force shield, as the crowd surges into the building. Up the wall she goes, to scramble across the ceiling and avoid the crowds. But amazing enough, she doesn't make a beeline for the electronics department. Wally's been wanting one of those big nucleic scramblers, and a limited amount are for sale.
Heaven help anyone who gets in her way.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:09 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane Narbon walked in. It was too much to expect the crowds to part before her, at least not with this crush of people.
Instead, after she walked in the door (wearing one of her best labcoat-dresses), Jane activated something, and began to walk in the air, over the people's heads. Simplicity in shopping, and if something interesting caught her eye, she could reach down and get a closer look.

Spotting Chic on the ceiling, she waved. Maybe the two of them could have fun messing with the crowds, once they had finished their shopping.

Without further ado, Jane headed to the 'parts / raw materials' section. She always needed new miscellanea for her diabolical designs. And, the sale price that they had on desalinated brine...!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 am 

Ok, there were a lot of people. And they all wanted to kill each other over a very small selection of objects. That wasn't that weird. People acted like that all the time. All she had to do was not get killed...

...eep.

Jennifer surveyed the store, then turned left, darted through a faction of a second gap in the group of people, and delved further into the store. Sure, she COULD just make people things, but noooo. When she'd broken into Michael's lab, she'd found that he was missing the proper crystalline coolant for his fancy death ray... and that was the sort of thing that neither of them could make. Razza frazza...

Maybe she'd make something for him, too. Oooh... perhaps she should get Claire one of those jingly mice...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:47 pm 

Two mads lay hands upon a coveted item at the same instant.
"I believe that's mine." His voice is mild manner, his tone polite.
"I saw it first! It's mine!" She glares daggers at him, and tries to tug it away.
"I SAID-" A mysterious ray is fired, barely singeing her scalp before continuing on to ricochet off a light fixture-"that's MINE!" He raises an eyebrow, and waits.
"Sheesh! Okay, okay....." She relinquishes her grip, and stalks away, grumbling.
"Excellent!" The tall mad rubs his hands. "Ursula, carry this to the counter."
"Yes, Doctor," the polar bear rumbles. "She should have known better than to challenge you."
"Oh, Neffie always was stubborn," Ironicus replies tolerantly. "Besides, Penny will get more use out of this than she will. A college student needs a good matrix multiplier."

Nefarious eventually makes it to the check out with her bargains. She glowers at the perky cashier, still miffed at Ironicus. Why couldn't he have stayed at his arctic fortress?
"Welcome to Mc Mads R Usmart! Do you have one of our frequent shopper cards?"
"No."
"Oh, I can sign you right up! I just need your email address and a telephone number. Let me scan this card-see, it has a handy keyring card attached!"
"No, not interested." Nefarious grits her teeth.
"But it's free and you get all kinds of great deals! Or there's a paid card that gives you a discount each and every time you shop!"
"Not interested!"
The clerk hasn't lost her perkiness. "Okay, I'll just slip a brochure in your bag in case you change your mind. Would you like the extended warranty on that? It goes a full year beyond the manufacturer's warranty, and even cover accidental damage and rampaging monster attacks! It's only an extra twenty dollars."
"Just give me my total!" The line grows longer. A few restive mads are beginning to fiddle with ominous looking weaponry. The clerk continues unfased.
"Righty ho! All totaled up-unless you'd like to contribute to our charity drive? We have cuddly Igor and Igorina plushies you can donate, or give to the budding mad on your list."
Nefarious just glares.
"No? They're going fast. Okay! Do you have our Mc Mads R Usmart charge card? No? I can sign you right up, and you'll save an extra five percent today!"
"Give me my (censored) purchase!"
"Happy Holidays! Will that be paper or plastic?

Snap.

There are quite a few biologists in her family. There's her uncle Dr.Ironicus, who is biology with a side of clockwork and steam. There's her sister, who isn't mad, but who is a talented veterinarian There's her niece, Penny, freshman mad and creator of chimeras. And Nefarious herself is no slouch. As a certain sales clerk finds out to her dismay....

"Oh my goodness! When did we start carrying test animals?" A harried clerk scoops up something small and green, before it's tromped on.
"We don't. Wait...look at the ribbon it's wearing...that's no frog."
"It's not?" She looks at it dubiously.
"It must be one of our special christmas bargains. Isn't it obvious? It's a Mistle-Toad!"
A nearby mad looks on interestedly. "I'll take it."
"Very good sir! Do you have one of our frequent shopper cards?"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:43 pm 

-David-

The crowd had carried him so far! He shook his head and reached around for something to grab to pull himself up with. He stood up, holding the thing he'd pulled himself up with. David looked around. "Huh... why is everyone staring at me?"

Someone in the crowd pointed at him. "He's holding the last of the new model of Chibi-Doombot Alpha-X with Extra-Hyphen-Action! GET IT!"

David whibbled. "Eep! This is gonna hurt!" He turned and started running.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:04 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane looked around. Shopping was fun, and all, but she had finished most of her purchases. She had had the foresight to set up a prepaid account, so she wouldn't have to stand in long lines... simply scan it, and put it into her handbag. So simple. And, she could tempt others into trying and reach into the bag....!

Jane turned away from the Weapons section, moving towards Fashion. Shopping was all very well, but there were other pleasures of this day. Moving quickly, she ducked into a fitting room (though not without an admiring glance at a labcoat modeled on a stand). It took her only a moment to find the outfit that she had packed... and all the different little sneaky devices that went with it.

As she changed, Jane admired herself in the mirror. The set of clothes fit her closely, without any of the issues normally associated with outfits of this type. Once she was done, JN shortened her hair into a ponytail, then made a few changes to her makeup. Finally, it was time to check that the secret pockets were in good order and the gadgets were ready.

Hiding her purse, Jane walked out of the fitting room. Her appearance was a lot different. Instead of her normal Mad, or Villainess outfits, JN was now wearing the uniform of a store clerk, sneakers, and a name tag saying, "Hello, My Name is JANE." No longer was she the feared Mad strutting just above everyone's heads. Now, she was an ordinary, groundbound clerk, just one more of dozens (though, admittedly, most clerks didn't pack quite as many covert devices as she).
Few would even suspect anything.

Let the games begin...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:17 pm 

Dr.Klause woke suddenly, eyes snapping open as he sat up straight in an instant. He was breathing hard, a mix of rage and fear as his eyes made their way to the calendar. It was THAT DAY again. Well as usualy the stores had decided to hold their depraved day of madness, and again he had plans. Loading up his sleigh with goodies, an armored sleigh pulled by eight mechanical war-deer, and headed off to do his damage to the blind consumerism that plagued this day. At least that's how Klause viewed his actions. More than likely most people would just find the up-coming attack to make their already miserable day even worse.

In the middle of the third door rush sale there was a sudden crash from the center of the store and Dr.Klause had arrived.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:50 pm 

"Oh holy-" And elbow in the ribs cuts him off, and Gerald continues, weakly-"night. That's it. We're doomed."
"Doomed? Why? Looks like Santa has arrived to me." His manager huffs.
""Doesn't look like any Santa I've ever seen," Gerald mutters. "Time for my break."
"Of course it doesn't." The manager continues in a patronizing tone. "This is McMads RUsMart-of course corporate would send a Santa that would appeal to mads."
"Yeah. Right. And his breaking through the walls is just part of the plan, right?" Gerald shakes his head. The sarcasm is lost on his boss.
"Obviously a miscalculation. Or a calculated appeal to our customer base-after all, aren't we overdue for a remodel? Now, I need you to-" He's talking to air. Gerald has booked it for the dubious safety of the stockroom.
Mr.Henderson clicks his tongue in disapproval, and strides forward to where the sleigh is ensconced atop the animatronic snowmen.
"Why, if it isn't Old Saint Nick!" He declaims heartily, for the benefit of the crowd. A false smile on his face, he breezes past the war-deer and leans closer, lowering his voice.
"Great entrance! But we aren't set up for you yet. You wave, maybe do a little speech or something, and I'll send over the photographer-oh, photo are such an easy money maker-and we'll set up one of the Mad thrones for you." Mr. Henderson is busily sending out instructions over his phone, and doesn't catch the gleam in Dr.Klauses's eyes. "Let's see...cafe? Send over a few baristas with trays, have them work the crowd. You-" he grabs a hapless clerk- "I need you to hand out flyers. Push the mutagen tanks, we overbought. Move, people!"
He turns back to Klause, and whispers through gritted teeth. "Smile! This is going to be our best money maker yet!"

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:01 pm 

Dr. Klause watched the manager approach, eyes narrowed. He could indeed pass for Santa easily, possessing that same poofy white beard and rotund frame, but the gleam in his eye was not of holiday cheer, but murderous rage. As he listened to the manager Dr.Klause began to tremble as his hands gripped the reins tightly. This tool thought he was part of some show?! Here to help this company swindle more money out of the masses?! "My NAmE iS dR. KLaUse." He rumbled and pulled out a ray gun.

The manager, of course, thought it was all part of the act. "Right, right, Dr.Clause. Just keep that up and the mads will be flocking to get their pictures taken with a Mad Santa!" He whispered excitedly.

A sudden zap of energy and an antique wind up toy soldier clinked about in a circle where the manager had stood. Dr.Klause stood in his sleigh and laughed maniacally. "MeRRy ShoPMasS sHEEp!" He began shooting the raygun at anyone nearby, wardeer beginning to shoot lasers at anything that moved, and the presents in the back of the sleigh sprouting legs and crawling into the store to wreck as much havoc as possible.

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:06 pm 

-Sarcastic and Natalie-

Sarcastic blinked. "Hey, Natalie! NATALIE!" She shook Natalie's back, as the other girl kept reading the store's ad. "Something crazy's going on! I think someone's turning people into toys or something!"

Natalie looked up, vaguely. "Hm?" She found herself eye-to-eye with the head of an angry war-deer. With one swift motion, she grabbed the sledgehammer sitting handle-up to her right and swung it, colliding with the creature's center of mass and sending it flying over Dr.Klause's head.

Sarcastic blinked. "Holy <censored for content!>!"

Natalie put her hammer back down. "I have NO idea what you're going on about, Sarcastic. Come on." She grabbed Sarcastic's arm and dragged her off. "Let's go look at underwear. Maybe one of us will actually get an SO next year."

Sarcastic groused a bit and then realized she was less afraid of whatever was going on and more afraid of Natalie not letting go of the vicelike grip on her arm. "...fine, but if we get turned into toys or trapped in giant presents or something, I'm blaming you."

Natalie rolled her eyes. "Seriously, I'm not gonna play along, Sarcastic. Just be serious for a bit."

Sarcastic scowled. "I AM!"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:47 am 

"MommymommymommycanIhaveitpleeease? I'll oil it an' take it for walks an everything!" Tiny Tessie is staring at a wardeer longingly.
"You'll just have to wait and see what Santa brings you, dear. Now, come along-mother wants to find the superbatteries", a labcoated woman replies distractedly, reading over her list.
Tessie pouts, adorably. "Yes, Mommy...." And slips away at the first opportunity during the chaos.
When her mother notices she's gone, she sighes. "These sales get worse every year!" She immediately rewires the PA system,and begins to page her daughter.
Tessie, meanwhile, is hugging the front legs of the nearest wardeer. It seems to blink, and fires a lazer, barely missing her. Tessie scowls, and pulls out a tiny pink wrench from her little purse.
One rewiring later-
Tessie is perched upon the back of the now docile wardeer.
"Mommy, it followed me here! I'm gonna name it Sammy!"
Her mother smiles indulgently. "Aw, it is awful cute, isn't it? Welll, I suppose...."

C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.