Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: The Mad Scientist Wars [Volume 3]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:02 am 
Hyperkeeper

Continued from the previous topic. The beginning of Volume 2 is here, and if you feel you missed something, you can also go all the way back to the beginning.

200 pages. 6000 posts. Almost three years.
It's been one heck of a ride so far— let's keep The Mad Scientist Wars going strong!

Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Wars
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:04 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

~Jennifer~

"Yeah, we know. So why did you need to be knocked out when he was trying to take control?" She wasn't sure which part of this wasn't supposed to be obvious...

Claire frowned. "I didn't know..."

"Yes, but you're- um- not very observant."

Claire's ears drooped. "Aww... but there were machines..."

Jennifer ignored her. "So are you going to keep freaking out every time he decides he needs control, or can we go back to business as usual and get the time machine parts and stuff? And if you really want it to stay a secret, I think you're gonna need a different strategy..."

~Isaac~

Well, so far no one had thrown them out, and she'd gotten a table. And swiped Ashley's teleporter, just in case.

"So what do you want to eat? Everything here is really good..."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:47 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane looked at the 'Tomb' inscription, then back at the pieces of the hive engine.
"Hmm," she said. "How this got here, and was still working... I have two theories," she said.

"One. There's some sort of aura or whatever-ness of this place that preserved the Engine, because of all the history here. Unfortunately, this pales in contrast to:
Two. Someone built it. Recently. -ish.

I'm not sure which is more likely."

She didn't mention the third theory, that the Hive Engine had traveled through time; she was still trying to figure out if that one was feasible. But still...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:20 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

lilDemothesis

Demothesis quirked an eyebrow, looking odd on the small child's face. He had no idea why Eustace would feel the need to hide that. It was nothing like having the Other running around in his head, like his ancestor did. Well, he supposed it didn't matter anyway, since it wasn't something threatening, so he went back to working on the gun.

Laughingman

Bill Tarnowsky was working on a new program, though at this point it was in the Mad version of a test phase, full use. He sat behind in his chair staring at the computer screen, distracted by other thoughts, foremost among them; I must be the most boring mad ever... I come to work, do a bit of hacking, programming and IT stuff, go home, go to sleep and do it all over again. Aren't Mads supposed to do exciting things? Then the computer *ding!*'d and displayed a list of names. It was a highly complex program, and he probably wasn't supposed to be using the public servers for it's processing power, but requisitions took hours! And he was impatient to test his new baby out.

As most people involved with Mads know, they're usually over the top and not known for subtly, especially in plans that involve blowing everything up. So Bill had been working on an AI specifically for the purpose of seeking out the more... subtle mads. It couldn't tell specifics, but it could predict how likely a mad, no matter how well they covered their trail, was to try a world ending event. Don't ask Bill how it works though, he had absolutely no idea... it was one of those "I woke up after I built it" things.

And as he looked down the list his eyes locked on one number. 100%
It should be noted that several other programs came to the same conclusion ten seconds before Bill's, but it makes for better drama.

Laurence Triblde AKA Shiva .... likelyhood 100%

Normally with Xerox there things would have moved much faster, not in the sense that it moved slowly, it was an organization that had been built well and responded quickly, but every organization has it's catalysts, and M was missing it's catalyst today.

Wolf and Diane

"And, that my dear is why today is the perfect day to put my plan into motion, finally!"

A tall man with a thick hook nose, gestured excitedly to a large device dominating the center of the abandoned warehouse. Surrounding it was a host of men and women dressed in thick robes, and a man in a dull gray suit.

"All these years of slowly gathering the materials and building my masterstroke! Always being careful to avoid attention, do you rEAlize hOw hArD tHAt iS?!" He shook his dutiful minion by the front of her robes, loosing his cool for a short time before taking a deep breath and slicking his hair back again.

"s-Sir..." The minion started uncertainly, still shivering from listening to that voice. "You never even explained to me how it works..."

Shiva smiled and pet her head gently, in stark contrast to his previous actions. "Indeed I didn't. I shall teleport a meter diameter sphere of gas from the center of Jupiter, the sudden release of it's pressures will be enough to rip the hemisphere to pieces, with enough force to rock the planet off it's orbit, those that survive the earthquakes and tsunamis will die when the atmospher disintigrates! Or the skys cloud over, or the Earth crashes into the moon!" He seemed manically excited as he headed to the machine through the crowd, making his speech as he went. It had been years since he indulged in a bit of maniacal gloating, so he let it all out on the way to the machine.

Outiside

A pair of leading M agents, hurridly went over all the information they had on Shiva with the present M agents and intern SWAT team. The warehous was surrounded by a powerful force feild and getting around it was proving to be frustrating.

Inside

"And, finally." Shiva spoke grandiosely on the steps up to his doomsday device. "To quote the Mahabharata; Now, I am become de-"

A gunshot rang out from within the crowd and Wolf stepped forward, holding a hunting rifle, both his odd dress and weapon had somehow gone unnoticed until now. But now, the plain looking man had drawn the attention of the crowd and they set in on him with a roar, finding that mere numbers would not be enough to take the lithe man.

Meanwhile Shiva staggered to his feet, his personal force field had managed to activate in enough time to prevent his death, but had been damaged by the shot.

"Diane! Quick, toss me my back up force field generator."

And for the first time Shiva heard Diane say something she had never heard her say to his demands.

"No."

He looked up, honestly surprised. Diane had been a perfect minion, obeying almost without question, expecially when he used the madness voice. He didn't know it, but that's how her father had made her. But it didn't matter now. What did was that he was suddenly leaking blood on the stairs of his doomsday device.

The device.

He still had a chance to complete his life's dream.

End this pitiful planet and all it's suffering at long last.

"I am..."

"become Death..."

"Destroyer of worlds..."

He whispered to himself as he crawled the stairs, jerking with each shot, only sheer will moving him now.

Until he was picked up bodily, one step from the top and tossed into the dead and dying of the former cult.

"No..."

The agents looked on the scene with amazment and a professional eye. Only two people remained alive in the building. A man... who was impossible to place, and a woman who had thrown aside similar robes to that of the cultists. Both were well armed and paid little heed to demands that they halt, fleeing the scene with uncanny skill.

The Progressors had done their duty, and they cared not for anything else.

Save Diane supporting Wolf's limp when they were far enough away and Wolf watching over Diane while she delt with the aftereffects of the drugs she had taken to be able to ignore the madness voice.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:16 pm 

Chic tilts her head, looks up at Eustace. "Yeah, that's why I'm the designated Bapper of Heterodynes. Is he trying to take you over, or just along for the ride? Either way, we can work out a way to serve eviction papers when we get back. Anything else?"

Jess snorts at Chic's new title. "And since we're all friends here, no need at all to mention the foolishness of ticking off a powerful spark, the jaeger army, the sworn allies in the L.O.V. and the H.E.H., right? Secret's safe with us." Jess's voice holds a lazy drawl. "Now me, I can be gauche and mention that you're a friend of the family, and why yes, I'm a terrible spark, and why, no, no one ever sees me when I'm working." She flashes a quick grin, and leans against a wall, apparently bored.
She's not 100% sure of Michael and his henchman, even though Prim seems to approve of one, and Cutename the other. And Michael's double is an unknown quantity.

Rolf looks at Ravel, at Eustace, and back at Ravel. The mind of Wulfenbach? Oy, vey. He walks over to stand by the younger jaeger. The Old Days have to be pretty fresh in Ravel's mind, and they don't need him nervous now, with so much at stake. Rolf nudges Ravel, and pitches his voice low enough for jaeger ears. "Hy think hyu'd bedder get out de fishink pole vhen ve gets back to de Pier. Dos emergency pants Eustace hes on, de hain't going to hold up much longer. Und is hard to be regal in boxer shorts, ya?"

Back in Xyon, a masked burglar easily bypasses the alarm. No home security system was devised with him in mind! He ponders an emerald pendant...opals that shimmer like frosty moonlight....then gleefully stuffs a necklace that glitters magnificently, every stone full of crystalline fire into his pouch.
Other rooms are checked for hidden treasures. The nimblest of hands open drawers and cabinets like they were made for the task. Fingerprints? Please.
His eyes widen behind his mask at what's carefully hidden way in the back, behind the boxes. His instincts have not let him down. Bright yellow, heavy, oh so heavy.
And the five pound bag of peanut M&M's is stuffed in the pouch at his waist, with the cubic zironicas. The Dread Raccoon Roberts squirms through the doggie door. The doggie in question is hiding. Being hissed at by a raccoon is one thing-having one jab at you with a tiny rapier is another.
Climbing, running, occasionally shooting a web to swing from street light to tree, Roberts makes his way back to the safe haven of Tinker's menagerie with his booty.

Penny, secure in the knowledge that her pets are safe at her professor's home, leans blissfully against Sir Honor's shoulder.
Oh, she's worried about Dr. Beard and the others. And she has a feeling that there'll be something that Sir Honor will be called upon to do any moment now-after all, he's a Hero, and people are uncertain and upset.
She'll enjoy this brief respite while she can.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:37 pm 

-David-

He blinked. "The mind of...who?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarcastic, who is elsewhere in space/time-

"...Geeze boss, study some history already."

Sarcastic blinked as the battle raged around her and a Norse god making pinball noises whizzed past her head. "What the frig was I just talking about? Ok, I DEFINITELY need some sane-time after this is all over."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-David again-

"Oooh wait... that airshippy guy, right? The one who ruled most of this area a long time ago or something? I think I've heard something about him..." He looked over at Jane. "I think I'm more concerned with Jane's idea. That big bug-engine thingy wasn't very nice at all. I don't think I'd like the idea of anyone making more of those..." he frowned. "Mmm... but this is in our world's past, right? So even if they did make one recently here, it would be really old news in our time period, right? So if anyone HAD been building more of those things, whatever they were doing would probably have already happened in our time period. Or something? Now I'm just confused."

He looked back over at Eustace. "Wait... didn't that Airship guy live a long time ago? How would you have his brain? Now of all times? Also, how do we get out of here? I'm a little confused about that..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Michael-

He blinked. "The MIND of Wulfenbach? Yes, how DID you acquire it?" He started leaning in towards Eustace, a hungry gleam in his eye. "Is it detachable? Analyzable?" He was nearly drooling and getting dangerously near Eustace...

There was a loud thuding noise as a lead pipe clonged his head and Michael dropped. Johnny Noir stood behind him, holding a pipe. "Eeeh... the d-bag was bein' creepy, yo. 'sides, I owed him that for the crotch-shot earlier. Dun' mind me, all yas. Just keep rappin', yo and lemme know when we're tripping back to the Pier." He busied himself with drawing on Michael's face with permanent marker.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:39 pm 

Ravel had been tensed, eyes wide- before Rolf made the comment, and he snorted. He had to cover his face a little, helplessly snickering and guffawing, distracted from the slight jolt of nerves he;d had. Okay, Eustace had... wait, how had *that* happened?! Oh goddess, he'd had to *grow up* with HIM in his HEAD?! Wough.

The world crackled, suddenly, and deposited the group back on the pier- vanishing from the Italian tomb before Harp and Wickets very eyes. Eustace blinked a little in surprise, looking around at the changed landscape- still a little rattled from the confession.
Rando looked up from by the tree, having been in the middle of showing laitu the tiny little overalls he had been making out of knitting, as BBC nommed comfortably on a sandwich Andro had had the foresight to pack for their walkabout mechanicsburg.

Xerox grinned a little at jess, balancing as they landed- he was getting the hang of this.
"Very well put. You have a flair for Diplomacy, you know that?" he said, smiling up at her admiringly. He really couldn't have put it better himself. Honestly, he was finding this not too bad... pop somewhere, get pointed at the goal, and... collect some VERY interesting info on ones employees, apparently.

Andrew gently patted Davids shoulder, smiling a little. It made sense he;d be confused... it was confusing to anyone without the knowledge.

"Well it;s simple. A process was made a long time ago of copying the brain patterns of a person, and piggy-backing them onto another brain. It's very risky, mind, and requires the right sort of equipment, but it does happen. and more importantly...." he turned, smiling cheerfully- radiating innocence.

Luckily, Eustace was no fool, and ducked in time- but Andrew still got him by the lapels, as he went over

"Now why I wonder would you NOT TELL ME THAT YOU COLLOSAL EMOTIONAL DULLARD!" he shook him firmly, making Eustace go red, and showl- pushing him in the shoulder

"Wha- I didn't TELL anyone! It;s a political secret, and-"

"Don;t you political secret me! I knew YOU back when you still pushed pull doors!"

"Oh, very cheap, Andy. Should we discuss the map incident, then?"

The pair were a little like a pair of grapping rams, all *bu headbutting one another as they argued, glaring eye to eye rather like any decent set of bickering freinds-verging-on-siblings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:43 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane looked at the pair, unsure whether to watch with gusto or pull the two apart like a set of naughty schoolboys. Finally, she turned away from the two (it was either that or look through her purse for popcorn) and over to Ravel.
"So, now that we have the insulation," she asked, "what's next? Where to now?"

After a second, she corrected herself, "...er, when to now."

Post subject: In which we find out that Johnny Noir has no survival instin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:28 pm 

-David, Michael, and Johnny Noir-

"Aw, heh." David smiled. It was nice to see that Andrew had a friend in Eustace. It was good to see someone Andrew could banter with. He'd honestly been a bit worried... Andrew had his cousin and friends now, but he still seemed a bit...SAD... at times. It was good to see someone he could be less serious with.

Michael blinked. "Oh. We're back here." He glared at Johnny. "Ok. I'm going to see if I can't salvage some parts or something from my time-reversal unit that blew up. Don't do anything funny or my henchman will slay you or something."

Johnny Noir glared and pointed at Lil' Demo. "Oh COME ON. Dude, your hench is like, five'r sumthang! What's that little dude gonna do?" He pointed at Jane. "Brah, I'd be slightly more concerned 'bout the tha lady there, an' she's harmless!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Svafa-

She stood back up. "Oh! Oh! I'm terribly sorry." She grinned. "I should have expected that you'd be a bit embarrassed. I mean, being the only exception in a whole family like that..." She blinked. "Oh yeah! Lenneth asked me to come talk to you..." She drew herself up and tried to look all official. "First of all, you are to be commended for your bravery, standing up to an angry Valkyrie. Brynhildr's not easy to deal with, even when she's NOT being a grouchy meanie-poo. You have proven yourself worthy of Valhalla at the end of your life, should you choose it." She smiled. "...but anyway, I kinda hafta ask you to undo whatever you did to her. As much of a jerky witch as Brynhildr is, we kinda need her to do her job. Please?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Ryan, Khan, Natalie, and Sarcastic-

What lay before Ryan was a scene of utter carnage.

Men, battered, broken, and bruised, lay sprawled around his workshop. A ferocious tiger and an angry woman had made short work of Der Somethingorother's goons, while a little green blob bounced excitedly and grr'd on Natalie's shoulder.

Natalie brushed some dust off her shoulder and turned to face him. Ryan scowled at her. "Marvelous, Natalie. Simply marvelous. Tell me, do you ever think these things through?"

Natalie's right eye twitched. "Hey, I saved your butt! How about a thank you?"

Ryan glared at her. "I was HANDLING things, Natalie. The guy was about to lay down his arms and leave quietly, and then you charged in like a swedish Mad's murder machine and ground through anything that moved like a meatgrinder! You do realize that what you just did is technically assault? You could get in serious trouble with the police for-"

Natalie snarled back. "Ex-cuse me? You think a lunatic like that is just gonna waltz out without a fight? Ryan, you are more absurdly naive than any other person on the planet! You can't just expect that sort of peaceful hippy crap to work on the sorts of idiots who wear spandex tiger costumes and brag about blowing up the planet or whatever!" She growled. "You're the ass who wants to be a part of this horrible world, you need to figure out that this is how people DEAL with these sorts of situations!"

Der Sabintiger watched as the two of them kept arguing, getting closer and closer to each other, until it was a bit uncomfortable in the room. As everyone started staring at them, He started quietly edging towards the fire exit, beyond even the notice of Loki... but not Sarcastic.

Ryan leaned in towards her, eyes locked with eyes. "I'm not the psycho-<censored for content> who resorts to violence to solve all her problems!"

Natalie nearly growled at him. "And I'm not the wimpy pacifist nerd who keeps poking hornets' nests while refusing to carry insecticide!"

Sarcastic looked over at the fire escape. "Uh... guys? The... whoever that guy was, he's kinda getting away..."

Ryan rolled his eyes. "I don't know why I even bother talking to you! This is just like before, Natalie. You can't tolerate anyone at all, so you either ignore or attack them!"

Natalie growled. "At least I'm not a walking liability! This is like before! You keep clinging to stupid unrealistic ideals and your head's so stuck up your <censored for content> that you can't see what the real world is like!"

Sarcastic sighed. "No pressure or anything, but someone should kinda capture that yutz before he tries to turn someone into a tiger or something, and-" She looked at the open fire escape door. "Come on, little one. "She patted the little pink blob's headdish area.

Ryan and Natalie growled, yelling in unison at each other. "I CANNOT BELIEVE I NEARLY MARRIED YOU!"

Sarcastic would have been thoroughly surprised at this statement, had she not already been out the door, chasing after an idiot in a tiger costume.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:05 pm 

Penny is busily exploring Mechanicsburg. She's worried about Dr. Beard, and Professor Tinker, but no one knows what's happened. Nothing she can do, and she's feeling a little too restless to stay at the hotel.
"Barooo!!!"
She blinks, at the tiny sound of trumpeting.Something small and grey is running from a cat. Swiftly, without pausing for thought, she scoops up the tiny creature as it thunders past, right from under the nose of its pursuer.
"Well, well. And what are you?" She examines the mouse sized pachyderm trembling in her hands, and is smitten. "There, there....you're safe, now." She gently skritchies it in just the right spot behind one flapping ear, and the mimmoth starts to settle down. She pulls a treat from one of her many pockets-she always seems to have an appropriate treat-and offers it.
That's enough for the mimmoth. It munches happily, and gently wraps it trunk around her fingers.
"Aww...."

After a swift trip to the nearest pet supply store, she returns to the hotel, mimmoth safely stowed away in her pocket. She fills the bathroom sink, and starts scrubbing it, prompting it to "Barooo!" and squirt her with a trunk full of water. But it settles down fast.
If Rex could facepalm, he would. "Oh, Penny....Why? Don't you know those things are vermin?"
"Don't listen to him, Petunia. There, doesn't that feel better?" Penny croons, brushing her newest aqquisition.
Grime and vermin scrubbed away, the mimmoth trumpets that yes, it's much better indeed. Its coat is surprisingly soft and fluffy-you wouldn't guess it's the same animal.
"You've named it?" Rex sighs.
"Of course! isn't she just the cutest thing?" Penny places the mimmoth in one of the two hamster cages she's prepared. Both have a carpet of sod in place. The mimmoth immediatly starts cropping the clover.
"That's a girl. Aw, I can't wait to show you to Quail!"

A few days later the youtube videos start showing up. Petunia, fluffy and cute, on her leash, getting a bath, pushing her jingly ball, picking peanuts up with her trunk on command...
They become widely popular right away.

Back at The Pier, Chic looks at her watch. "Come on, Cuz-you can fuss at Eustace later. After we get home. Ravel, what's our next stop?"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:25 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

Mimic was getting tired of all the poking and prodding from her anxious creator. <I'm fine Mom, really!> she flashed in serene, healthy colors, with just a hint of orange annoyance.
Dr. Beard let go of a last slightly chewed tentacle after spraying and glossing it. It hadn't punctured Mimic's skin, but it had punctured her thin "suit", and Mimic couldn't last more than a few hours out of water without that. It would grow over and heal itself by the time the temporary seal wore off. She sat on the edge of the Pier with her odd, alien, clever, shifting, fuid, beautiful... daughter. Yes, daughter was the right word. Not merely a creation. She hadn't been that for some time.
"You are going to let me fuss over you a little, Mimic," she chided. "You just helped fight off a pack of rampaging monsters the Heterodynes themselves could barely handle. I'm entitled to it." She checked the seal one last time around her beak, where tears were most likely under ordinary circumstances. "I just... I don't know what I'd do if I lost you."
Mimic, tired of the fussing, slipped away to glower orange-and-green on the other side of the Pier. Maybe it was a pre-adolescence thing. She was getting close to that age.

Geneve really didn't know what she would do if she lost Mimic. But with the aid of a time machine, perhaps she wouldn't have to find out.

She... had to talk to someone... Or she could just commandeer the thing herself, but even for Mad thinking, that seemed terribly unwise. Especially in present company. But surely there were plenty of sympathetic ears here...

Mimic continued to sulk, but repositioned herself on top of Jess's shoe. Jess was cool, she had decided. She wanted to be like Jess when she grew up. Except not with an internal skeleton, because bones honestly kind of freaked her out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 pm 

Ravel set the crystals near the tree, humming a little as he looked at them. They wre large, and thick- the sort you only got in, perhaps, an *old* Hiver Engine? He could only guess... and yes, perhaps, if that engine had been there, all that time... the time machine would have approximated it. There was more to that then he was quite admitting, yet.

Which was that going to nice little meaningless periods of time... like a shop, say, somewhere in time specializing in the obscuria of brine formations... would cost something like five times more energy to navigate to then something big.

....Which was to say, he was accepting a 23% raise in machinery stress (rough approx) just to keep the damned machine from sending them to the day the Other first attacked, or world war two started, or the day Helen Narbon (Prime) went mad.

"Next stop? Ve got henerchy, ve got de material... now. We need parts. This thing needs to be able to drop us vhere ve need to go und not yenk back, needs to be SURE is sending to right place. Need to over come de perixox degradation effect to... so, next stop, gon' be somewhere we ken get dese parts." he took a deep breath, knowing what the machine was going to pull.

"...which is to say... oh... Mechanicsburg. Hym tryink to lend in for a... qveit year. Ennyvun got a really SHARP blade?" he asked.

Andrew was still growling vaugly at Eustace, but turned away with a huff to draw out the Rapeir he had used before, holding it out to him.

"...Okay, seriously, where does that even *fit*? And why the hell is it on fire sometimes anyhow." Eustace snapped, still annoyed at him. In the manner of people who had known each other since they were Pretty Young, the inherent silliness of the other was starkly offensive at such times.

"Epsilon Pockets, doof. And it goes on fire when it;s sufficiently dramatic enough for it to *be* on fire. It is sharp because it looks like it should be sharp. It is what a Sword is supposed to be." Andrew ruined the haughtyness of the explanation by sticking hsi tounge out at him, of course.

A fresh altercation was cut off by fredric steppin in- pretty literaly.

"Alroight, alriight- knock it *off*. Lock horns later. Yer upsettin' ee' Girls." he snapped, glancing over as Ravel sliced a crystal up, working it into rough shapes...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:53 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane walked over to Ravel, looking at him slightly quizzically.
"You know, I can tell you're worried," she said. "Now, seeing as I am a femme fatale, normally I would saunter over and try to coo the reason out of you. That said, being in semi-regular contact with past you kinda acts to put a damper on that."

"...You don't coo. Doves coo. Hyu are not a dove. Hyu is... hm. Maybe Svans. Hy seen vhot a svhen can do. But thenk hyu for pretendink, for my nerves."

Jane grinned, and finished her sentence. "So, instead, I figured I might as well just ask normally. Speaking as the woman who gave you that train set in the past... er, the future... er, whenever, what's bothering you, kiddo?"

Last edited by Jane Narbon on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:45 pm 

~Claire~

Whew... my fur settles down a bit when Fredric asks Da and Lord Eustace to stop fighting. Fredric is the best. And I know Da and Lord Eustace are kind of cousins and all... but it's still not nice watching them fight... what if they decided they didn't like each other?

~Teal~

"Peep.." She wiggled and stirred in Dadee's pocket, waking up from her nap. She was hungry again...

She peeked her head out of the pocket, still wearing her teeny sunglasses, and looked around. "Peep?"

~Jennifer~

She wondered if they'd get to go home anytime soon. Bah. She pulled out a scalpel and started poking Johnny in the side of the head with it. Was he always this stupid? Was it a genetic thing? Perhaps he wouldn't notice if she took apart some of his brain to look at it.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:21 pm 

It had been more then a little awkward for Rando, as the tiny new little creation slumbered in is hands and pockets. Of anyone who had been swept along on this strange venture, he perfectly fit the all but duo-chrome landscape. You wouldn't be surprised to see him as a figure on a comic book (even by Xyclons standards), and the sort with a lot of interesting compositions, kinetic fight scenes, glossaries in the back for the untranslatable terms of addresses, and interesting philosophical points, at that.

For that matter, the tiny figure wouldn't be out of place, either. She was, more or less, just around the mass of a newborn kitten- and a small one at that. this was part of the reason for keeping her very close- he was fretfully concerned that she would get cold.

But then he wasn't alone there with her, in some kind of carefully presented tableau. There was the matter of... Laitu. The martian kitty girl whos time, attention, and annoyance he had been capturing on and off for a little while now... and rather suddenly had a... he glanced at the little figure. Connection to.

He liked her. Admittedly his interest had started out as sort of embarrassingly academic. All that business with the Martians had, as his roommate (Roomate. He might have had a real name, but he was determinedly quiet about it) could attest, set his mind ablaze. Oh, not the fancy ones who had attacked them. Well, they *had*. But that wasn't the important bit. The important bt was the hints of native slime based shapeshifter Martian life!! Just as documented in The Astonishing Excursions of Helen Narbon & Co!

Amorphous sentient life! The stuff that had set his mind a wonder as a small child, struggling to turn the pages of the ancient penny-dreadful tales of mad science, moon travel, romance, and aliens. The book had been passed on from his grandmother to him, and it had set off an (admittedly short so far) lifetime of fascination with the paranormal. Not, in fact, unusual for his family. A linage did not introduce and re-introduce Dark Matter into the blood every 3-5 generations or so because they cherished knowledge of the mundane. But for him, it was more then interest. It was his *focus*.

So... he'd done some checking. Some looking... and a very lucky run in. The tells had been ther to look at them, and...

And, well, she;d beaned him upside the head with a toolbox. But he was pretty sure that was his fault... on reflection later, Asking her if she could 'spore' was probably a little rude. Although, he still didn't think it was as funny as Roomate had found it.

He had tried, while the others were gone, not to sound so... creepy. He thought he;d done..... better. It helped that her parents were nearby, and had wanted looks at the tiny bundle. All together there had been several awkward exchanges, a few quiet looks together at her, and something like a whole entire decent conversation, if you stitched it together a little. And shed beaned him upside the head once, but it was while Teal was asleep anyways, so it hardly mattered.

"Ah! She;s awake... here." he'd had time while she was asleep to prep a little, mostly enriching a carton of milk that Mister Andro had produced. He gently picked teal up in his hand, and used the straw to feed her sips of it. He figured a high ratio of nutrients and calories was a good idea, since she was so *little*.

Ravel snorted at Jane a little, waving a hand.

"Noddink! Noddink at all... only. Ah... problem iz, mit de trek record so FAR... hy kent be sure chust vhot SORT uff cestle heterodyne ve lendink in. Not de DENGEROUS yers... the really bad ones. Mostly. Ennyvey. But vun vorries..."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:29 pm 

-Michael and Johnny Noir-

Michael got down to work, only to be distracted by peeping. He sighed. "Who is making that noise?" He looked around. "What is up with that peeping and meeping?" he frowned at Teal, whom he determined as the source of the sound. "What's with all the noise, you? Are you hungry? Is that it?" he reached into his pocket and pulled out a packet of Oreo cookies. "Here... let me open them for you." He opened the packaging and slipped them in the pocket with her. "There. Will that keep you quiet? Good. Go crazy with those." He patted her head briefly and turned. "Now unless you can find a phillips-head screwdriver that's small enough to take off a quarter-inch screw used to affix a console mounting, enjoy your treat and let me work in semi-silence."

He bent over to work, a bit annoyed at his lack of proper tools.

Johnny Noir looked over at Jennifer. ""ey, chicky. Cool it wit' that, g." He reached into his pocket and pressed a small red adhesive device onto the scalpel. Which suddenly started shaking and vibrating... and then fell into tiny bits of metal in her hand. He smirked. "Heh, yeah. 's what yew get fer messing with a hardcore 'ike me, gal. 'streamly localized destructive resonance technology. I can use the right vibes to break down almost anything 's not too large. Suck on that, chick!" He smirked as he retrieved his little resonance device.

-David-

"The castle?" He looked at Ravel. "Oh wait. THAT thing... uh... yeah... eep..." He looked at them. "Yeah... uh... this might be... bad... the castle sort of scares me..."

-Sarcastic-

"Get back here!" She yelled after the idiotic tiger-themed supervillian, running after him, with Ruby clinging to her shoulder.

Der Somethingorother laughed. "Oh, I'll get back here..." he suddenly stopped and spun around as Sarcastic approached. "You fool! You failed to realize that all tigers have CLAWS!" From the gloves of his costume emerged metal claws, which he darted forward with.

Sarcastic was taken totally by surprise. She had no chance to react.

SLASH!

SLASH!

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Der Sabintiger turned and run away. "MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" He laughed as he started escaping. "Deal with THAT... whoever-you-are!"

Sarcastic looked down. "My... my... MY CLOTHES! How the FRIG does a guy with razor sharp metal claws tear apart my clothes but leave my body intact?"

It dawned on her that she was completely nude. On a college campus. And people were staring at her. "Oh dear god." For once she was THANKFUL for her Clark Kent Syndrome... no one recognised who the new female streaker on campus was. She took off running, blushing heavily. "Oh god this is the worst thing that's ever happened to me! I have to hide I have to find clothes I have to..." She bit her lip. "I can't let that jerk just get away, though. He's an idiot, but a dangerous one. Someone has to stop him and the Boss ain't here." She covered her upper body with her arms. "And I can't let anyone knwo about this, ever! I need... some sort of costume or something... something no one would ever suspect I would wear at all... something that hides my identity, like a superhero costume or something..." She looked around. "But where could I find one?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:42 pm 

~Teal~

"...peep?" There were milks and Dadee was feeding her and the nice man had given her cookies... he'd also said he wanted something, but she didn't understand all the words yet. She nyammed on the edge of the cookie, thinking.

~Jennifer~

She tucked the scalpel back into her pocket. "Hardcore? You do know I heard you when you said everyone in your family was abysmal at MadTech, right? And if you define hardcore as 'can destroy something', CLAIRE counts as hardcore. Also-" She pulled out a large silvery mallet, clobbering him over the head with it. "Don't worry- from what I've seen, that can only make you more intelligent."

~Laitu~

Rando was... erm... well, at least she'd clocked him with the toolbox. That was good. Teal was adorable, though. And she had a cookie!

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:48 pm 

Lil Demothesis

The diminutive Demothesis barely spared Johny and arched brow at the comment on his ineffectiveness. True, in this form he was no where nearly as dangerous, but he was still fairly certain he could take the mad if it came to it. However for now, there was no reason to disavow him of his illusion. so he continued to repair the lightning gun.

He snorted at the comment about the castle Heterodyne. "Was the castle evew something othew than dangewous?" The imperious comment was ruined by an enormous yawn. He didn't want to admit it, but this body needed sleep and was not trained in working without it for long periods of time. But he didn't need to tell anyone that. He should still have a few hours before collapsing in exhaustion.

William

William started walking around the pier, exploring what parts couldn't be easily seen from the main group's gathering. He remembered something going on in the aether, aer, ether, whatever you wanted to call it. And he planned to find out what it was. His sight looked past what most eyes could see as he explored, though he looked to be simply stretching his legs.

Liam

Liam sighed and stuck his head back in the garage. "Bob! Taking the rest of the day off, got some errands to run! You lot gonna be alright?"

A sarcastically grumpy voice responded from inside. "Oh dear oh my, what shall we do without the prodigy? We'll be fine ya lump."

With a shrug Liam motioned for Svafa to lead the way. "So, any reason to expect her not to just up and deck me once she gets her powers back?"

Loki

Loki was having the best day of his life. Well, besides that time he got Odin to lock his ravens outside and he forgot how to work the doorknob.

This was so much fun, and then Natalie made it even better with that little declaration. With a grin he floated over to Natalie, slowly, grin growing wider as he approached.

"Naaaaaatie~" He started in his most sickeningly sweet voice. "You never told your best buddy Loki that you almost got married~ Deeeeetaaaails~!"

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:49 pm 

Rando wasn;t sure if Teal should have a cookie yet... but maybe a little was okay? He beemed toothily, and took out a small black device- tossing it to him.

"Thanks, mister~! Thats an adjustable there- theres a bunch of different heads stored inside, you just find the one you need, and slot it into the other end. Dunno if it has the one you need, but... thanks."

Meanwhile...

Ruby was making exitable cooing noises from her perch, hopping gently. This was fun! Only her enw friend seemed sort of unhappy... Ruby was very new, and didn;t really know words. But she *did* know one word... Costume!

"Wuuuuu~!" she hopped, giving off waves of sparkles- the glitter drifting down around her in little waves. She peeped happily, emitting litle colored lights, as the sparkles grew- a sudden *cloud* perfectly shielding her from sight.

When the sparkles cleared, the GOOD thing was there was no skirt. There was no high heels, no spandex. It even had sleeves. It was emblazoned with the first Symbol that ruby has spotted so far that seemed appropriate, which was the ICU's 'Eye, Beaker, and Magnifying Glass rampant' sheild. Really, the only issue was the shoulder-pads...

Erik, meanwhile, found the best possibly use of hsi time to be clonking Loki in the nose with the Jar he;d been released from, grumpily growling at him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:26 am 

Chic grimaces. "That tears it." She grabs Eustace by the arm, and tows the slightly bemused Heterodyne over to Ravel. "Okay. Castle, somewhen, no choce, blahdeblah, got it."
Chic pauses, then lowers her voice. "I want to go...I have a feeling this will involve my kind of tech. But I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb. A spark, and a female jaeger, when there's so few females....can't blend in like Ravel and Rolf, can't pass for plain human as readily as Andrew and Fredric. Risky for you, too, Eustace, but even being an unknown Heterodyne, castle and jaegers should listen to you, right?"
She smiles ruefully. "I hope so, because I don't know as much as I should about jaeger stuff, Mechanicsburg history, or even family history. Always something new to trip me up. Some things everyone thinks someone else told me, other stuff family's deliberately reticent. You know how long it took Papa to tell me even the name Sturmovarous? And how much he glossed over at first?" Chic rolls her eyes.
"So, you two fill me in quick, before you push the Big Red Button. Eustace, any jaegers will know you're a Heterodyne....will the castle know? It won't be happy with me if I attack you. And I take it that Wolfie isn't a benign influence, or you wouldn't have asked me to bap you, rather than just trusting him to do what's right and then disappear again. Is Wolfie aware of everything you experience? Or is it like waking up in a strange situation for him anytime he takes over?"
Whatever happens, Chic finds herself looking forward to it. It's like being in a Heterodyne boys novel! She wonders briefly if there will be clockwork moon-men, and construct camels.....

Jess leans against Xerox, lightly. Looks like he's going to have most of his toys left behind again. By the look on his face, she's pretty sure he's come to that same realization. "Cheer up, babe-you faced worse odds with less stuff that time in Cairo. And no robo-camel to deal with here."

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane looked back at Ravel. "I wouldn't be too worried," she said. "Look at it this way. All of us," she indicated the group with a wave of her hand, "in total, are probably the most dangerous people present on the Pier."

"Ho... yaz. But in Mechanicsburg?"

Jane shrugged. "I don't know. But, we can either sit here and make complex, grandiose, and baroque plans— before going out there and doing something... or, we can just rush out there straight off. But it's not like we can just sit here."

Jane watched as Chic came over, and decided to listen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:28 am 

Jess looks down at her foot, and blinks. Then grins. "Hiya, kiddo." She carefully squats down on the ground, without disturbing the cephalopod currently perched on her foot.
"Been a pretty adventurous day so far, huh?"
Mimic flashing excitedly, prompting another grin.
"Heh. I'm glad you can do the writing on the arm trick, Mimic. That reminds me...I can flash colors, too, but I have no idea how to speak color. Think you could teach me sometime? It strikes me as a handy thing to know. And..." Jess lowers her voice.
"I've been thinking. You did good out there today. But where we're going now...Mimic, Mechanicsburg has as many, if not MORE mads than Xyon. And we're going to a dangerous time, no matter what Ravel does-adventures just work out like that. If a mad sees you, they may want to bring you home. Which would not be good. You may want to pick a different form for the trip. Besides, you're our ace in the hole."
"<I am?>" Words appear on one of Mimic's arms.
"Sure are! No one will know what you can do. For example, if we're tossed in the pokey, you can help with a jailbreak! Let us make the plan first, and okay it with your mom-someone may see something you don't, or who knows, with this group, they may want to stay nabbed for a little and eavesdrop. But, that's just an example. Also..."
Jess smiles, wryly. "Mimic...if you get in danger, your mom, brilliant though she is, will freak. Now, hear me out." Jess holds up her hand. "And Andrew would freak over Fredric, and he's grown up. And Chic would freak if Wally or Rad was in trouble. Ect cetera, et cetera. Even though they know that they're capable. It's a family thing, y'know? Doesn't help that most mads aren't very...cautious? So, you and I-we're going to have to resist the urge to explore. We're the sneaky, stealthy ones, and you just know they're going to need us."

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:58 pm 

Wally stretches, and finds himself a seat on the ground near Rad. "So, things interesting up here on the Pier?" Looking past Rad, he watched bemused as Chic hauled Eustace across the place to her own little conference. "I suppose it's a good thing she's handling all of this so well... Sometimes I think I'd have started bleating like a goat if she wasn't around."

Rad chuckled. "Oh, the usual, hanging out, worrying about everyone, making sure this stuff doesn't explode on us... nothing special." Smiling, he turned to watch Chic as she interrogated the two. "I'm surprised you're not more used to these type of shenanigans. I mean, that whole dimension wandering thing must have been weird, right?"

Wally grimaced a little, but kept smiling. "Eh.. it's not quite the same. Back then, I just kept reminding myself that they weren't the right dimension, and it didn't matter if stuff was different there. It... helped. I wish I could have helped more of the people I met along the way, though." Looking down, Wally rubbed the back of his head. "It just felt like there were too many places I had to leave because there was really nothing I could do. And some of them were in pretty horrible straits, honestly." Shaking his head, he looked up brightly. "But, oh well. At least I got back here, right?"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:29 pm 

Rad smiled a little, and took Wally's hand in his. "It feels good when there's nothing you can do. Es decir... the way we;re made, as humans, is to wish to think there is always something." he squeezed his hand, and looked up at the winding, silvery mass of time.

"But you made it back. And such lucky men are we, that we have her to boss around the nice important men so we can look at the tide. When we have a moment, I should show you the little coastline forming. I think i spotted- oddly enough- *shells*."

Ravel sighed, slotting another carved crystal into place. He would need to replace them, especially to keep them from the most dangerous points in the castles time line.

"Iz not chust denger hy am vorried about... hyu heff to understend. As near as I can tell, we are capable of changing things. Und this is... mit *this* group... vell. Noddink to do for it bot to try." he glanced out at the coastline, trying not to think about what that *meant*. A low tide boded badly. Mostly due to the implications of a... high tide.

Eustace started to say something, and swallowed it quickly- with the air of someone aware that, perhaps, an actual 8answer* was in order where they had long been used to a kind of auditory duel. At least when someone was being this firm with him. Refreshing, really. He tried to take stock of everything asked of him, pressing his hand back through his hair.

"...well, if it helps, he does that to *everyone*, with the *possible* exception of his mother and husband. And even then I think they have to twist his arms for it. The caste can;t tell at a glance, it would need to have a direct blood confirmation... and Jagers don;t *always* know just from the smell. If it makes no logical sense for you to *be* a heterodyne, they could... oh, say... assume it;s just a nice smell. Or maybe you;ve been around the heterodynes. if nothing else, i can always claim to be a far off shoot and wear a cologne. And as for my little guest he..." he paused, thinking.

"It;s not that I think he would be dangerous... just I can't predict that what HE will think is right is what WILL be the most useful. He might have tried to slag the hive, with us needing the crystals. And he just sort of wakes up to whats happening- he;s pretty gentlemanly about not... um. Prying. But if I *need* to i can sort of call him up. Does that cover it?"

Xerox smiled, listening to jess talk to the mollusk... it was so... well, cute. He smiled, nodding.
"We will, at that."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 am 

Wally squeezed Rad's hand back, and smiled at him. "It is a rather lovely tide. And a coastline, really? Makes you wonder what kind of shells are down there." Leaning over, he put an arm around Rad. "I'm sure we'll find something interesting. Maybe next time we get back?"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:35 pm 

Chic nods. "Good enough. Well, if you can 'sort of' call him him to talk, maybe let him know what we're going for, so he doesn't inadvertently screw it up? But only if you can send him away again-you know best if that's a terrible idea or not. Maybe it's best to let sleeping Wulfenbachs lie."
Her expression softens a bit, and she smiles sympathetically. "We're going to do this, go home, celebrate, and crash for a week. Then we'll see about serving his eviction papers before word can leak out. Even if you limit it to those who've sworn loyalty, you've got a lot of expertise to draw on." She draws herself up to her full five foot zero. "I'm not a subject, but I am your ally. And I will tell you this. Mental control, manipulation, conditioning, interference, whatever...really cheeses me off. If I can assist-other than the occasional bap to the head-call. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to see my sweethearts before we vanish again."

Chic makes her way over to where Wally and Rad are watching the tide, and plops herself down beside them. "Hey, when we get back, how does pizza and hokey scifi movies sound?" She reaches out, and takes Wally's hand and Rad's hand. "We'll laugh at the lame monsters and invent improved versions, throw popcorn at the screen and make snarky comments and cheer for the villain and the hero." She smiles a little, and falls silent.
Until a thought hits her. "Rad? Are you babysitting the machine this time, too, or coming with us?"
that way, all least we'd all be marooned in time together, if we can't...No. It's not if we return, but when. Not if, but when.

Rolf, oblivious to any drama, is standing with Claire, skipping stones into the sea of time.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:07 am 

Mimic considered Jess's words carefully, then began stretching and squirming in a way that might have been alarming to a non-Mad. After a moment or two (though time was hard to gauge at the edge of the Sea of Time) where once was a cephalopod of questionable order, family, genus and species, There was now a little girl who bore a striking resemblance to Mimic's favorite cartoon heroine. Her eyes, however, remained the same- opalescent and eerie with W-shaped pupils. Cuttlefish eyes.
She held out one newly pink and be-fingered arm. Will this do? she asked in a curious blue-purple.

Dr. Beard watched from a distance for a short while. It looked like Mimic was playing, probably telling them about her favorite movie. Well. Xerox was there. She felt Xerox could be trusted.

Now then.

Let's see here: transect tape, stick, jars, waterproof notebook, pencils, dive mask... yes. Excellent. Excellent! Absolutely marvelous! But of course she was only going to go... shell collecting. Yes. That would be the extent of her field work for now. It would be very foolish to do more than that at the edge of an unknown ocean... unlike any terrestrial ocean... bound by its own laws, in the fabric of time and space, and yet filled with recognizably marine forms of life... strange, and yet familiar creatures... with secrets, so many secrets just waiting to be uncovered...

Which was how Dr. Beard wound up waist deep in the Sea of Time, enthusiastically pulling behind her a bizarre self-propelled tangled-looking contraption that bore a passing resemblance to its ancestor, the trawling net.

Last edited by Snail on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:34 pm 

Jess grins at Mimic. "Oh, that is awesome. Looks good to me. Will your mom will be okay with it?"
"But you said I should pick another form..." Mimic looks puzzled.
"I did. But that's just my advice. Keeping a low profile works pretty good for me." Jess smiles. "But I don't know your capabilities like your mom does, which is why I was wondering if she'd be okay with it. For now...."
Jess turns an arm into a tentacle. "While we're waiting for Ravel to finish up the doohicky, how about a quick lesson? Let me try making some colors, and you teach me what they mean."

Same day/evening/whatever-
Penny is still restless. After making sure that Petunia is secure, she once again leaves the hotel. She's decided she needs to procure another mimmoth. Or two. Possibly three or four. Strictly for research purposes, of course. Well, and she doesn't want Petunia to get lonely-they do seem to be herd animals, after all.
She thought it odd that the pet shop didn't stock any...and looking them up, was surprised to find them dismissed as vermin! As friendly and intelligent as they are, too!
Allright, so they get into machinery. But a few simple 'catch and release' traps in the lab would take care of that. And they tend to damage crops...well, they have to eat, too. But maybe, just maybe, if a strain could be developed that targeted weeds instead, for example....
Plans dancing in her brain, she slowly walks along, eyes scanning the ground. Perhaps five or six would be better. What size is a mimmoth herd normally? Better go for a dozen.
Still pondering, she bumps into an obstacle.
"Oh!" Raising her eyes from the sidewalk, said obstacle is revealed to be a uniformed jaeger.
"Excuse me-sorry about that!" Penny apologizes. Rex stirs, but yawns and resumes napping in her coat pocket.
He grins toothily at the attractive fraulein. "Is allright. Hyu lost somethink? Vot are hyu lookink for?"
His manner has put her at ease. "Mimmoth, actually." She smiles, a bit sheepishly.
He laughs. "Is dot all?" Pointing across the street, he adds, "Hyu chust go dot way, take a left. All de mimmoth hyu vant! Goot vuns, too."
Penny's face lights up. "Oh, thank you! You've been so helpful!"
He tips his hat. "Think nodding uff it. Goot day, Fraulein."
A beaming Penny scurries off, and the jaeger soldier chuckles. Nice to see a tourist who appreciates such things. Whistling, he continues on his way. He's not quite out of earshot when the screaming begins.

Penny strides forward with renewed purpose. Of course a local might know where a herd nests, gathers, whatever. Why didn't she think to ask earlier? She rounds the corner, and sees one of the ubiquitous meal carts that seem to be out at all hours. Rex's nose twitches in his sleep.
"Miiiimoth! Getyer miimoth onna stick! Just like Mama used to make! Fresh miiimoooth! Three kopeks a stick, and I'm cuttin' me own throat!"
Penny's hand rises to her mouth. Her eyes widen in shock. Her cursory research didn't show her this.
"You...you monster!"
Rex's nose pops out. Something smells good!
"There now, I'll have hyu know I have the best prices in town! But how's about I make it two for five kopeks? One fer hyu and yer little doggie. Just look how plump they are!"
Snap.
Eyes glittering, she advances forward.
Rex grits his teeth momentarily in exasperation, but emerges from her pocket to take his place hovering above her, snarling fiercely. Doesn't matter what he thinks about the tasty smelling treats. Penny needs his protection, and that's all there is to it.
Some flee, but are replaced by those drawn in out of curiosity. The street chef is soon sporting a pig snout and tail. The former cart burbles, as any organic components are dissolved.
"thOsE pOor litLe cRetures!"
The man-pig raises a spatula, trembling. "But they're(snort) vermin! Not like (grunt) frying kittens! (snort, snort)"
Penny gasps. "kittens, tOo?"
"Nooooooooooo!"
Anyone who seems at all amused by the young mad finds themselves spritzed with an odd smelling serum. They soon discover that rats and mice are irresistably drawn to them.
When the guard comes rushing around the corner, they find Penny simultaneously crying and overcome with mad laughter.
"Anodder spark gone to de madness place! Gott verdammit, dot's de fifth time dis week!" An olive green jaeger scowls, taking careful aim.
"Vait...she'll run down in a leedle. She's svaying on her feet. Besides, she chust destroyed a cart." The jaeger who gave her directions earlier smiles wryly. Looks like the nize fraulien found her mimmoths.
"Yah, dot vas mein favorite snack vagon! Un vat about Olaf's snout?" The first one protests.
"Bah, dot's un improvement." The captain walks towards her, slowly. "Fraulein? Hyu come with us now, ya?"
Rex spits out a mouthfull of tweed, and starts licking Penny's face. "Snap out of it, Penny. Come on....it's all right."
Penny blinks, seeing herself surrounded by a squad of jaegers.
"Oh." She looks around her. "Oh.....did I? I did, didn't I?"
"Ve do dis nize und peaceful, ya? Hyu be taking a valk mit us now. No more trubble." For a jaegermonster, his voice is soothing.
"No...no more trouble." Her voice is distant. "He deserved it, you know. But it'll wear off." Eventually.
"Hyu ken tell us all about it later." He expertly latches on to her elbow, and starts steering her gently but irresistably down the street. Behind them, an enterprising soul has already begun selling rat on a stick.
Later...Penny is sitting in a secure cell, hands gripping a cup of hot tea. Rex is curled up on her feet. Wisely, the sargeant decided not to separate the two. No sense risking another rampage.
"Hokay, hyu do hyu vant to call, Fraulein?"
She slowly reaches out to the phone, and gives them a number she's just learned.
"h-hello? Quail?"

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm 

"I really am sorry Dr. Viktor, but I'm doing all I can! You know how the press can be- and this is trouble. At least it;s mechanicsburg- I pity the first journalist trying to ook too close into it. But after more then a few days..."

"It vont GET to dot, Sir. Don;t hyu giff me dot look- hy knew hyu back vhen hyu vere Honor Sqvire. Hy seen hyu practice de calm sensible 'listen to me' look in de mirror, boy." Dr .Viktor was staring out the window- watching the sky slowly shift colors. He still could smell the nursery. It did little for his nerves as he met Sir Honors gaze in the reflecting glass.

"...alright. Alright. I have to tell the Rook though, okay? And he;s going to want to come here." he sighed- it was hard bordering on impossible to out-stare Lord Viktor, not that he ever really thought he;d manage it. Forget for a moment he spoke like a Jager infantry man, and put on his big airs, and seemed to tret full disclosure like a skating match. The bottom line was, his Family was missing, and possibly in danger.

And whatever he *said* about it, and adventuring, and however many times he claimed he had every confidence... he was scared. Every single time a family member vanished or was in danger, he was always quietly terrified. He only knew because his mentor had told him, and told him what to look for.

"De Rook? Vhell, he;s a steekler, but-"

"...You didn't know? His nephew is one of the people who vanished- Random T. Veelan." he explained, watching his facial expression go through an interesting little dance of suprise, confusion, and slight amusement.

"Hy see. Vhell, consider him formaly invited. Femily is Family. The Veelans, hoh? Goot femily... sey, hy don;t suppose hyu know his full name?"

"I do. But it;s not worth my hide to be the one to- oh, scuse me..." he flipped a little silvery cellphone out, glancing at the name.

"Hell- oh! I;m here- where? Ooh. No- it;s okay. I;ll be there fast as I can, alright? I understand. It happens- Mechanicsburg has that sort of an effect. See you in a moment, Penny." Sir honor hung up, looking at him.

"Ah-"

"Hoho. No need- some things are important. Now run allong- hy ken keep myself all nize and mollified for a little while more."

Quail fled, a streak of silver as he rushed to the jail- arriving like a silver moon.

-back on the Peir-

"...Awwww." Xerox grinned a little helplessly, crouching to get a look at the transformed Mimic. So he had a slight soft spot- what of it? And... well. A little shapeshifter girl... now there was something to think about.

"You know, I think like this she;d fit in pretty well... no one'd look twice at a girl with funny eyes in Mechanicsburg. And Jagers are soft touches for little kids, more often then not. Especialy post-Von Pinn."

As Dr. beard moved out into the 'waters', her own personal Time surrounded her like a diving bell- moving the thick mass out into a safe distance. It wouldn't be able to wear away her personal time at the shallow levels- and the energy of her Madness bolstered the positive effect. There were something like signs of life in there, something like strange, ethereal tide pools and dark motion.

Eustace furrowed his brow, sighing. She was right- and he wasn;t of much help as Ravel snapped the machinery together. He sat, and foucused...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:30 pm 

"Well, that's torn it," Penny murmurs. Rex butts his head against her hand, in sympathy, and she reflexively begins to skritchie his ears.
Enhanced intelligence aside, he's wolf enough to know a tail wag will do more good than talking right now.
She sighs. Could've just sucked it up, stayed here. But she has Rex and Petunia to think of, and they'd at least have kept her overnight. Maybe even until she went on trial! Hmm, or will there be a fine, instead? Or also? Who knows how they handle things in Mechanicsburg? At least they let her make a call.
Family and friends are back in Xyon, Dr.Beard and Dr.Tinker have vanished...that left Sir Honor.
Who's not just a hero, but leader of the HEH. Penny suspects he'll take a dim view of her actions, despite how reassuring he sounded. A mini rampage over a fast food cart. Sounds ridiculous. But to suddenly find out like that, that people eat them...like walking unsuspectingly into a pet shop, and finding the proprietor grilling the slow sellers.
"I'd do it again," she whispers.
Rex rolls his eyes. "Of course you would. And will again. And again. Your madness got quite a jolt, didn't it? Now, I can smell one of the wretched things over in the corner. I'll nudge it your way, you be ready to grab it, and I'll distract the guard."
Penny hides a grin, as she pulls out a treat, and readies a pocket.

On the Pier-
Jess is committing to memory the more obvious color meanings. Chic hasn't let go of Wally and Rad's hands. And Rolf is telling Claire a brief jaeger story, trying to keep her from becoming bored while they wait. He doesn't think Ravel and Eustace would appreciate explosions right now, while they're concentrating. He gives her ears a good skritch.
"Liebschen, und dot's vy there is a pickle trap in de Grand Hall. Heinrich smelled like garlic for veeks!"

C Valente

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next