Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Wars
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

William

William nodded, thinking on the explosion. Fredric was right. He'd missed the acoustic details, but his hearing wasn't all that special anyway. So he defaulted to Fredric and followed up to the castle, hands placed casually into his pockets, hands deep inside the dimensional pocket and holding a pair of scrolls for quick use if it became necessary. He helped find the little path leading up to the hole in the castle, having an oddly expanded sense of the world, and there was definitely something special about whoever was up ahead, magic maybe? or something similar it seemed. he contented himself letting everyone else talk with the man holding the fireball and instead focused his attention mostly on the Igor in the background. Trusty assistants like that deserved as much attention as the mads they served. As much of a brag as it seemed, he considered himself a good example of that. Not that he'd tell anyone that. It was useful being overlooked.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:54 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

The tall, somewhat academic looking young man dressed in black looke up from the small ball of flame in his hands, listening quite intently. His face seemed to flicker and shift, betraying the thought behind his eyes. He probably has started off trying to look all impassively calm, but about mid way through Boris' speach, he looked, rather... guilty.

"...Oh, nine hells. Are you zure you can;t just have a nice time and come back in a little bit? Becauze I really think this will only take a few minutes, and I really can;t... not. I checked and double checked, this is really the easiest way to get it done without getting anyone hurt." he explained, keeping an eye on the flame. It was tightening up, going from orange to red, to a thin and evil looking blue. If it wasn't magic, then whatever device was producing i was absolutely invisible.

Behind him, Igor made the small, intake of breath that a very polie servant makes when, for instance, the young master has declared his intent to wear an aubergine and lime cummerbund to the winter dance. He was keeping a better eye on the group then his master was, even as he quickly assembled some small contraption of shining brass and glass from a box. Howver, within the space of a few seconds, *twice* he took his eyes off the group and his device to look backwars, with a quiet sense of urgency.

"No? Yes, of course not. Then I do apologize. I will make a note to owe you some Time, then." the possible dr. Mallory(?) continued, closing his hand into a fist- opening it downwards at the ground to send up a *hugs* burse of stone dust, smoke, and dirt between Igor and him, and the group.

Ravel was froxen, quietly. HE only reacted when the smoke plume had gone up between Boris and the youth, by crsmming his fist into his mouth and biting down, just a little, to muffle the small whimper of frustration. Time travel, as far as he could tell, was as obstinate and full of painful little tricks as a middle aged mule.

Eustace cursed as he saw the second plume of smoke come up, this one a plain and natural acrid black. He put on an extra bust of speed, skipping the stairs to leap up onto a small series of statues. It was an old trick from when he was little, to keep ahead in games of tag.

"...Why would you *split up* if you;re in a spooky house, exactly? Logistically, exchanging safety for square footage coverable only makes sense if you know what you;re dealing with!" he asked, looking back at Chic, as confused as perplexed as a baby bird confronted with the ocean. Clearly, she had a great deal to teach him.

Commrade X glanced from the smoke, to his friend. Many a person tended to cleanly write her off as a nutcase, or suffering some kind of visual problem... but he had come to rely on her odd set of senses. Privately, he considered Rada to be a little bit magic. Some last remnant of the ведьма, the 'ones who know'. All her energy and vim was just those old powers stirring and overboiling, leaving her sharp as knives and loopy as a american yo yo. But a rational agent of communism wasn't supposed to believe in things like witches, so he kept quiet about it.

...well, maybe once, with that blasted American Spy. But peach schnapps, a blizzard, the axis front, and a broken radiator had all been involved at the time, so he considered the whole affair as not to count, for reasons of espionage and personal reputation.

"....what is smoke *lookink* like then, Radas?" he asked, a little cautiously...

-In the present-

Nemo sputereda little, and restrained a frustrated grunt- he had his dignity. Or, he had a very good memory of what dignity was *supposed* to be, and he did ever so like to pretend. He grasped for his glass of burbon, eyes narrowing a little.

"Fine. You want to play it this way, italy? Well, i shall show *you*. I will have you know that when it comes to public embarrassment, no one is the superior of a patriotic frenchman!" he chugged his tumbler of burbon, slammed the glass down, and took to the stage- trotting up to the musicians to have a breif conversation, and leaning backstage for a moment- just what he said was a little hard to hear, but when he leaned back in, he had a small chorus of four Jager girls.

He stepped up to the mike, lowering it a little... croquettishly lowering his little tweed jacket off his shoulders as the music began to play.

"Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome! Fremde, etranger, stranger~ Gluklich zu sehen, je suis enchante, Happy to see you, bleibe, reste, stay." a small lifetime as a colledge library, and a somewhat secret adoration for Gene kelly served him well here, as he danced to the music. Never let ti be said he did not preform L'ancien collège essayez!

"Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome Im Cabaret, au Cabaret, to Cabaret~!" he switched to speech, putting on a somewhat exaggerated accent for the occasion- playing out to the cheered and laughing croud like a proper ham. he threw out winks and explansive gestures like roses, playing up the full comedic potential of a skinny academic type...

"Meine Damen und Herren, Mesdames et Messieurs,
Ladies and Gentlemen! Guden Abend, bon soir,
We geht's? Comment ca va? Do you feel good?
I bet you do!
Ich bin euer Confrecier; je suis votre compere...
I am you host!
Und sagen
Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome
Im Cabaret, au Cabaret, to Cabaret

Leave you troubles outside!
So - life is disappointing? Forget it!
We have no troubles here! Here life is beautiful...
The girls are beautiful...
Even the orchestra is beautiful!" here he pointed to the band, who all seemed to choose the moment to look mock croquettish. No mean feat, seeing as they often doubled as bouncers.

"You see? I told your the orchestra is beautiful!" he declaired, to a round of laughter. he waved up the girls, who apparently were in on the act. Not that they knew this was coming, just that the sing was popular in the theater- luckily.

"And now presenting the Cabaret Girls!
Rosie! (Rosie is so called because of the color of her
cheeks.) Lulu! (Oh, you like Lulu? Well, too bad!
So does Rosie.) Frenchie! (You know I like to order Frenchie
on the side. On your side Frenchie! Just kidding!)
Texas! (Yes, Texas is from America!But she's a very
cunning linguist!) Fritzie!
(Oh, Fritzie, please, will you stop that!
Already this week we have lost two waiters,
a table and three bottles of champagne here.)
and Helga! (Helga is the baby. I'm just like a father
to her. So when she's bad, I spank her. And she's
very, very, very, very, very bad.)

Rosie, Lulu, Frenchie, Texas, Fritzie... Und Helga.
Each and every one a virgin! You don't believe me?
Well, don't take my word for it. Go ahead- try Helga!" he received a comedic thwap up the head from 'helga' for this, and his pratfall off the stage made the audience roar, and roar again when he did a little roll back up, grasping the mic on the way to continue the bit.

"Outside it is winter. But in here it's so hot.
Every night we have to battle with the girls to keep
them from taking off all their clothings. So don't go
away. Who knows? Tonight we may lose the battle!" he waved the girls into the chorus, winking.

"Wir sagen
Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome
Im Cabaret, au Cabaret, to Cabaret!"

Two Jager boys in the audience leapt up to hep with the next bit, and by the end most of the audience was singing to the little chorus- Nemo bowing to a few catcalls and a great deal of applause.

((Lyrics omitted for length, can be read here http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/cabaret/willkommen.htm ))

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 am 

Chic cheats, and resorts to using her wings to keep up with Eustace and his long legs. "Exactly! You're smarter than you look." She grins at him, now that she's keeping pace. "Kidding! Tell your castle not to eat us, okay? If it thinks we're with the bad guys instead of coming to the rescue...yeah. I'd just use my disorientation ray, but with all that smoke, I'd probably take out half of us instead. Lead on! Hey, does this count as a wacky Sturmovous Heterodyne adventure?"

Boris roars with rage and frustration, and attempts to leap through the huge plume of smoke and stone dust. Why did he even try talking! He should know by now how rare a foe being sensible is.

And is tripped by Rolf. Who looks helplessly at Ravel. Not the time or place to explain, even if they dared muck up history even more. But he can't let Boris hurt what is possibly Dr. Mallory. "Ravel? Hyu gots a schmott idea, now's de time for it."

Jess hangs back. She can leap in if she has to, but for now she has Mimic on her shoulder. And a distracted Dr.Beard in front of her. It's keep her eyes open time.

PastRolf-hunting.

Elizaveta scurries along with Arky and Rada. She hands Rada the last sparkly explosive, and pulls out an impossibly big rocket launcher from a small bag. "Arky, if Glorious Comrades still, and truce being on, should we get your Amerikansi spy? Oh! I wonder if she still has the tank? That was FUN!"
"fraid not, 'Veta." A voice calls out merrily. Elizaveta whips her head around to see a trim brunette woman, a scarf around her hair to keep it in place, beside them on a motorcycle with a sidecar. "Want a lift, Comrade Medved?" She pulls up besides Arky. "The girls can squeeze in the sidecar."
Madelina smiles to herself. Can't let the Russians have all the fun!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane

...still had her arms full of time-machine parts. Looking around, she realized something strange: there was no one next to her. Xerox had taken off running in the direction of Castle Mechanicsburg— and the explosion. Well, that wouldn't do. Getting lost in a city was one thing, but getting lost in time... bleargh.
Jane quickly dumped the parts into her purse (carrying them was just for show anyway), and fished out a few chemical surprises in case anything nasty was up ahead. Then, she started sprinting after Xerox, her boots making no sound on the stone streets.

Ariel

Back at the Pier, Ariel began a self-diagnostic to ascertain the reason why she hadn't been able to access the eras along with everybody else. The gadgets that had fallen on the ground provided clues. Could it have something to do with a mismatch between the technology levels of the target time and her own body?

Acting on this hypothesis, Ariel began pruning her devices to regrade herself to an older standard of tech: a standard that would be able to travel through time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:03 pm 

-Michael and Johnny Noir In a Timeless Expanse-

"Jerk."

"Prick."

Both of them had settle down and just started glaring at each other. Without any technology to try and kill each other with, they were at an impass.

There was a moment of silence, as BBC gently nommed on Michael's jacket sleepily.

"...wanna study Ravel's time machine without taking it apart and seeing who figures it out first?"

"You're on."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-David in the Past-

He smiled. "Ok, bored now. I'm going to go try and find something else in the Castle to fiddle with! Maybe I can fix something or help someone get not-crushed!" He started to walk off without Wally and Thorns, as Bureaucat whimpered on his shoulder.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:47 pm 

Xerox hadn't been able to spot himself. It was an ingrained instinct, worn in bone deep from years and years of being Claires friend, and then minding M... you saw smoke, you ran for it. Preferably with a plan, or at least good shoes on. There was a very good reason why he owned Teflon coated slippers.

The fire resistant boxers were just because the office had a sense of *humor*.

He made it up just about in time to see the second burst of smoke, and hung back to let Jane catch up...

Ravel looked down from Boris, to the retreating figure. He bit his lip, and leaned down- pulling boris up into a soft kiss. "I promise, this is the last tme you have to see me go into something first. I love you, Mein Kommandant." he didn;t waste any time, and leapt in through the clearing smoke and... steam? The hole had punched right into the back of an engine room, filled with glittering pistons and sludge. On the down side, it made moving forward hard.. but it slowed the (apparently) young Mallory as well.

The thick engine grease and unmentionable other things were a goey, slippery sumbstance about ankle deep that clung anf gripped at he same time as making it easy to slip... making Mallory curse quietly as he ran.

"Damn it all... is there no new low to which I must slip left? What shall it be next, I wonder... what will it take! How many steps will I have to make, to escape this curse that men... call..."

"MARTHTER!" Igor had to leap forward, too late as a piston head slammed down towards Mallory- knocked back to slide at full speed through a open doorway, with a retreating shout.

"FAAAAAAATTTEEE!" screamed Dr. Mallory.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:23 pm 

Boris blinks, momentarily frozen in place. And who can blame him? Ravel had been marooned on The Pier for perhaps one year.
Boris has made do with mysteriously sent letters since the Wulfenbach days. And deep down, it's been...difficult to believe he would see him ever again.
The sudden soft kiss and Ravel's words paralyze him briefly, in the midst of steam and smoke, and this strange group of adventurers... Boris flushes red, suddenly noticing the others, and springs to his feet.
Ignoring them, he dashes forward through the cloud of smoke and stone dust. But his brief moment of paralysis has bought Ravel and that madman and his hench a head start.
Boris looks ahead keenly, he listens, to strain the sounds of running feet from all the background noise. Mainly, he breathes. Scent won't let him down.

Jess takes a deep breath. Part of her hair lengthens, becoming a tentacle twining around the passenger on her shoulders. "hang on tight, Mimic-things are going to happen fast." She sticks closer than ever to the distracted Dr. Beard, senses alert. Prim gets the barest nod when he thunders up with Jane, just enough to convey 'I got this.' Keeping an eye on the kid means making sure her mom doesn't get lost in the confusion.
Jess idly wonders if they'll all fade away suddenly, like before. Were they just supposed to grab parts, or grab them and build something here? She didn't pay attention. Too late to ask Ravel now!
Not that she could help with that anyway. She'll just be muscle, and guard the eggheads that can.

Chic is keeping pace with Eustace, clockwork wings flashing. "Hey, holler an introduction to your Castle while you're running! It's under attack, and doesn't know who the heck you are, doofus! Yeah, I really want to see all the cool deathtraps, but not if it means we're left behind in the past and-" Chic breaks off to squee with delight. "Moat monsters? Oh, WOW!"

Speaking of moat monsters...
Present day Mechanicsburg-

Rex is anxiously pacing back and forth on the bank. Penny's been under for a while now. The jaeger guard grins, from his spot up by the guard shack. "Calm down, leedle pup. See all de thrashing? Vouldn't be doink dot if it'd eaten her up."
Rex growls reflexively at the 'leedle pup', but doesn't take his eyes off the churning water.
There's a terrific splash, and a figure comes hurtling past them.
Penny pulls herself to her feet, and marches back to the water's edge. She pulls the mask of her diving suit aside, and places her hands firmly on her hips.
"BAD OLAF!!! NO TREAT!"
A tentacle appears, waving frantically.
"DON'T MAKE ME COME IN THERE! NOW, HOLD STILL!"
The tentacle straightens out, laying itself on the bank. A burrbling moan is heard. It sounds a bit..sheepish?
"That's better." Penny gives it a pat, and runs an odd vibrating device over a barnacle, prompting a twitch as the barnacle falls off.
"Yes, I know it tickles, but hold still! Honestly, we could have been done ages ago! There now, doesn't that feel better?"
It does indeed. The itching, and the extra weight had Olaf in a surly mood for a long time. What, you think a moat monster should be angry?
Never mistreat your guard dogs. The Heterodynes know this. Not if you don't want them to someday turn on you.
Penny has forgotten by this point that this was community service. She beams at the guard. "I'm leaving this here with instructions, okay? And for pete's sake don 't let it get so bad next time!" She lobs a treat out over the moat, and another suckered tentacle reaches up to snatch it out of the air.
"Now, throw him a beach ball, and some toys, whatever he usually plays with-he's got some excess energy to work off. Then a good meal, then he'll sleep for a while."
Rex butts his head against her legs, and Penny scoops him up. His tail is thumping madly-he doesn't even complain about being wet.
Penny skritchies his ears, before setting him down to duck in the guard shack and change out of her wetsuit. This was fun! Such a challenge! She can't wait to tell Dr. Beard all about it!
She bites her lip, remembering what happened to her mentor. They've got to find them. They've just got to!
Outside, the guard grins at Rex. "Vot Hy tell hyu, leedle pup?"
Rex grrs again. "I am not a pup. I am her guardian, and you will be civil."
"Oho?" The guard grins bigger, showing impressive fangs. "Should Hy be frightened?"
Rex calmly shakes himself dry, soaking the guard's legs. "Yes."

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:56 pm 

Thorns hand came up, grasping the back of Davids shirt. "Sorry, I can't let you do that~ I mean, charming and all that you two were in the traps and all, but- come on. Hym not stupid, right?" he smiled, in a genial, charismatic, full of very sharp teeth way. Lots of teeth.

"So, why don;t we have a nice, cheerful talk, yankee doodle. Come on now. Two-step- and pleasing you too, blonde. Nize arm, by the way."

Eustace looked up at the castle, and winced. "...are we sure it;'ll believe me?" he called back, skidding to a halt as a large, spiked gate crashed shut in front of them, security at the alert. Eustace swalowed a little, and then sighed- drawing himself up.

"...now is when we find out, it seems." he tooka deep breath, eyes narrowing up at the bulk of the castle...

"CASTLE! I DEMAND ENTRANCE!"

The youthful wizard hit bottom of a pit of oily slime, having been pushed there by the moving machinery. It seemed the floor sloped towards the pit, which had huge slotted greats to siphon the mechanical sludge away. He had managed, barely, not to land on his face.

"Tisk, tisk... It seems that curse hasn't shaken off yet~ Just a little further, little wizard-ling. "

Mallory glared upwards, lit by a bright white glow... a pair of plain tennis shoes floting lightly just over the stream of filth, as the others approached.

"...you just keep your side of the promise..."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:25 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Dr. Beard followed the group, but seemed to be in a world of her own, counting the hallways under her breath and occasionally referring to a tourist's map with some notes in red sharpie. She bumped into the person in front of her, became vaguely aware that there was a confrontation, and jumped a little at the second explosion.
Then, while everyone else seemed preoccupied, she slipped away.

Mimic became more agitated by the second, flashing violently red and white and squirming on Jess' shoulder. Her mom wasn't exactly safety-conscious at times like this to begin with. The castle would mash her up or drop her down a spike pit or drown her or... or...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:16 pm 

To Geneves delight, why, the Fossil exhibit just was not too fa away at all! For safekeeping during the war, it had been moved inside the castle, and she was basically already there. The exhibit, however, did seem to be blocked by all of these pesky security systems...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:46 pm 

Jess sprints after Dr. Beard. "Mimic, enough with the flashing colors right in my face! It's distracting." She keeps a tentacle firmly around her shoulder passenger. Dang it, she was alert, and Dr. Beard still managed to slip off! Kind of impressive, really.
A pits suddenly opens beneath her feet-Jess casually leaps over it without breaking stride. And there Dr. Beard is, just ahead-her head down, studiously examining the paper she's holding. How the heck did she not fall in a pit trap yet?
"Doc! Wait up!"
Jess grins a little despite herself-looks like she'll get to test her, ah, reconnaissance skills against the Castle itself. Of course, this is a get-back-to-the-group-without-getting-squished job, not her more usual acquisition job, more's the pity.
So far no one's tried to hire her to liberate anything from the Heterodynes, but she has hopes. That would make a story to tell the future kids!
Clearing her head of such fancies, she begins to close the gap between them. Now, how to persuade Dr. Beard to come back with her before they're all marooned in time?

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:18 pm 

After a pregnant, focused pause of Eustace glaring up at the castle, a small mechanism clicked and shifted... neatly dropping a trap door open beneath him, bold pose and all.

"...now, cut that out!" he snapped, rising up from the hole suspended by a small cloud of delicate wind up butterflies. He balanced on a gate-post, letting the swarm land along his shirt and turn back into little buttons, or studs in his thick cloth trousers. He slipped a small switch blade out of his pocket, inscribed on the flat edge with a rough pictogram of a sewer grate.

"I do not have TIME for this! I know this city! I know YOU! I know every last failing, antiquated, energy wasting inch of you! I've hunted in the annual Sturmhalten sewer festival! I went riding with the Jagers instead of going to summer camp! I;m born in about two generations from now, and I have repaired, surveyed, mortared plumbered tinkered and POLISHED every lat INCH of your mechanisims in my time already and all I am asking is that you LET ME IN RIGHT THIS MOMENT YOU NICKLE PLATED NEUROLOGICAL MAP!"

There was a small, startled pause- every door in the castle, for about five seconds, opened. Eustace huffed, and slipped inside. "Damned right."

it also Allowed Dr. Beard and Jess inside...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:49 pm 

-David-

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Thorns hand came up, grasping the back of Davids shirt. "Sorry, I can't let you do that~ I mean, charming and all that you two were in the traps and all, but- come on. Hym not stupid, right?" he smiled, in a genial, charismatic, full of very sharp teeth way. Lots of teeth.

"So, why don;t we have a nice, cheerful talk, yankee doodle. Come on now. Two-step- and pleasing you too, blonde. Nize arm, by the way."

David was not, by any definition, a wise person. Brave, certainly, in that way that people are when they are completely unconcerned about their own safety, and even to some degree intelligent: he was a Mad, and therefore while not entirely clever could at least be counted on for some measure of occasional intellectual outburst. Under ordinary circumstances, he would not have responded favorably to someone attempting to restrain him against his will. Not without a good reason.

But something about this man's face triggered a certain primal instinct in him. The image of a mouse cornered by a cat comes to mind. It's also noticeable that Bureaucat's ears drooped and he stopped screaming and just started staring in abject fear because of Thorns. David paused. "Alright, you got me."

He was looking around, though. Thinking as best he could as he was prepared to be led off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Future David-

Folding his arms. "Geeze, I wonder what's going on in the rest of the Palace. I wish I could meddle more, but Bureaucat said that if we did, it would anger that pair of ducks."

"Qvaaaaaack!"

Future David's eyes went wide. "Oh crap here they come!"

He took off running down a hallway of the Castle Heterodyne, chased by a pair of angry trained attack Dyne Ducks wearing small hats and clutching nightsticks in their beaks. While no one was entirely sure WHO had made them, the Pair o'Ducks was the Castle Heterodyne's first and most effective defense against time travelers, having been conditioned to grow quite irate and violent when encountering anyone who their keen noses detected was from another time period.

The Pair o'Ducks chased Future David as he absconded down towards some of the Castle's more dangerous regions...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 pm 

Thorns Viktor kept a firm grip on Wally and Davids shoulders, walking them down a hallway. He seemed a little tense, but Davids willing surrender was helping. As thy walked, around them every door swung open...

"You see, its things like that. Normally I would be all up for playing this game with you. Its fun, and genial, and you two seem like good lads. You appreciate a good trap. I like that. The problem is... the problem *is*, everything really seems determined to go badly, today. Like the doors all opening, and that explosion earlier. Today, I think, is a good day...."

There was a click.

Thorns looked up, to where a opening door revealed a large group of rather worn and violent looking men. From left to right, they looked like a lineup of cybernetic blender accidents in a health club, armed with nasty looking guns stripped form war machines, and suicidally recrafted into hand arms. More then one was already bleeding... and all weapons suddenly swung to Thorns.

"Well... well.. what luck. Those filthy demon apes are chasing us all through city, and here we are, stumbling on just who we wish to be seeing. If you would please, Lord 'Viktor' Stumovaus, you will come with us." the fiercely armed groups leader was a man with an eyepatch, and a smaller- but more *compact* looking raygun, that fizzled nd radiated electricity ominously.

"Come with us, or we shoot you. Is SECOND heir to Valois, yes? Do not deny your superior blood!"

Past Rolf had found them, just where his future self had said... but while surprised, the small conspiracy wad not *unarmed, and this group had managed to flee into the city, taking advantage of the confusion.

Post subject: You do not want Lady Drezebel to go Escher on you butt.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:07 pm 

-David-

It has been said before, probably several times, that David isn't the wisest person in the world. Had he been, or perhaps had he been more pragmatic and less softhearted, then he would have likely just shut up and hoped that these people were only interested in his captor. It was entirely likely that he could escape unharmed by letting them capture his captor, or at least that he would have a better chance of surviving and/or sneaking away if he waited for strife to break out between the two groups. There was no reason for him to show concern or even

Yeah. Those ideas never even entered his head.

The second David heard they were attempting to take Thorns away against his will, he started thinking about what he could do to prevent the situation. He wasn't sure he could really do much with Thorns' iron kung fu grip on his shoulder, because Thorns didn't seem likely to let go and if he couldn't move he couldn't do much. And there was little he could do as far as moving went... the hallway they were in was a straightaway, with little room to navigate except TOWARDS the men with guns or away from them, which didn't actually get you out of their range.

Bureaucat whimpered. "Ah! Ah! Um... we aren't with him! We're his prisoners! That makes us like, allies of you, right? Something like that? Maybe? Please?"

David, however, was quiet. He looked down, and wondered. "What if Mister Jaeger guy who has us captured DOESN'T let go? What options do I have then? I can't really attack much if I can't move, and I can't defend much either... I can't do much of anything, except maybe..." Hoping no one noticed, he pushed a button on the wrist of his robotic arm. And then the rocket boosters popped out.

There was a single moment of shared silence as the entire crowd stared at him, not entirely sure what was going on. Oh, Wally had probably already figured out, since he had built the prosthetic. And it was possible that Bureaucat and Thorns, with their current expressions, had an inkling of what was about to happen. Because they were smarter than David was. Unfortunately, the person with the least conception of how the laws of physics worked was the one with the rocket propelled fist.

David took off, rocket-punching forward as his arm propelled him at insane speeds. Unfortunately, Thorns hadn't quite thought to let go yet. And, being a jaeger, his grip was significantly stronger than normal humans. Apparently, it was even strong enough to keep a grip while moving at speeds that no sensible human-derived entity would want to be moving at with a means to STOP moving at that speed that wasn't fatal. What this means, in clearer terms, was that David took off, speeding faster than the gunmen's reaction times, towards said gunmen... with Thorns Viktor being dragged behind by his own grip. This unfortunately included Wally in the physics equation, since he was suffering a similar grip situation that David was. And of course, poor Bureaucat, who had been sitting on David's shoulders, was the only entity that WASN'T securely fastened to the speeding object.

This means that he was also the only unlucky kitty to be left behind "Faster than a speeding bullet" as it barreled towards the men with guns. As he recovered, a disoriented Bureaucat sat on the ground, facing them, looking uncertain. "I'm... I'm... I'm just going to scream like a little kitten now. Is that ok?" David winced. He'd forgotten entirely about Bureaucat. Unfortunately, he didn't have time to consider it at length as He and Thorns and Wally, in that specific order, zoomed towards the other group of men.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-In the Depths of David's mind-

The Shade of Zobot face-palm'd. "Idiot. Well, there is a bright side. The chances that he's about to die have likely just jumped into the eighties or ninties again. He can't keep beating the odds forever."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Meanwhile, in the Present-

Lady Drezebel sat in a cell. As she had been doing. In Mechanicsburg.

She sighed. Shed been freaking out about it for a while, but it was likely inevitable. She had to admit, after that night with the whipped cream and the feathers, that there was a remote possibility that she was, in fact, pregnant.

She rapped at the cell's bars. "Hey, guard! I know my rights! I want my one Pregnancy Test!"

The guard, a younger lad who had recently joined Mechanicsburg's policing agency, looked back at her in confusion. "We... don't GIVE you one pregnancy test, miss..." He said, in a strong accent.

Lady Drezebel rolled her eyes. "Don't lie to me, kid! I demand my one pregnancy test! Go grab it for me right now or I'll go Escher on your butt!"

"But..."

"PREGNANCY TEST! NOW! ESCHER!" She screamed.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:10 pm 

Chic grins as she slips through the door beside Eustace. "Nice. I've never seen badass done with butterflies before."
"I-" Eusatce starts to reply, but Chic cuts him off.
"No, no, it worked, very cool. Sparrows are fun, too." She pulls a clockwork sparrow out of a pocket. " But now we need Ravel, because I don't know what exact parts we needed from here. Or we need to catch the dweeb who dared blow a hole in your castle. And gathering our little flock of lost lambs should be on the agenda somewhere-remember what I said about scoobying?" Chic does a little running skip to keep up with Eustace's longer stride. "Where to, Fearless leader? You know the Castle, and I can hear-and smell-what's ahead. Between the two of us, this'll be candy!"

Past Rolf is cursing as he runs. "Stupid, STUPID @#$%!"
Heinrich and Stephan lope along side. "So....they really vas there." Stephan muses. Oh, he didn't think Rolf would joke about something like a threat to the Viktors, indeed, a plot against the Heterodynes themselves, but it was a pretty far fetched story.
"Who hyu callink stupid, Rolf? De thugs? Dey did look dumb." Heinrich idly wipes a blood stained hand against his jacket.
"Meinself!" Rolf growls a little. "Hy couldn't be boddered to mention how vell armed dey vere?"
"Armed? Ha, de shoulder gons! Dot's funny!" Heinrich grins, unfazed when both Rolf and Stephan reply with a "Shoddop, Heinrich!"
Stephan sniffs. "Ya, but de engine oil mixed mit sweat makes dem easier to smell-ve's gonna catch up to dem pretty damn soon. Dey can't outrun us!"
Rolf doesn't bother replying, but pushes himself to run faster.
This is it-the turning point. History has been changed, they have dashed beyond the event his future self told him of. And no way of knowing if the outcome has been changed at all!

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:18 pm 

Thorn was yanked forward suddnly, his grip automatically tightening rather then letting go. This was a survival tactic of many years of experimenting with mechanized flight, as sudden shifts of g-force or speed could easily mean the death of a weak wrist'd fellow. Sometimes something took off unexpectedly in his world, and you learned, soon, to think very *fast*. Or get good at steering towards open air and lakes, anyhow.

This, and a kind of family sense for absolutely bloody minded risky behavior, is probably why, rather then drop safely off of David, he kept hold and brought up his feet- alas, his aim was off.

He;d been aiming for faces. But the chest seemed to do well enough- lifting two of the heavily armed men up and off their feet and into a wall.

"See, THIS is what I am being talking about! Right here! AIM FOR A HALLWAY!"

Eusace was pushing a button together- the butterfly had kind of stuck during the folding. He looked back and forth, examining the halls...

"That explosion would have punched through to the engines. I knowhow to get *there* easily enough..."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:51 am 

William

William was standing, almost still as stone as he examined what little he could tell from inside the castle. It was, as expected of a creation started in the times of sorcery and swords, well made to evade the senses of magical beings such as himself. True he was only slightly of the age which belonged to magic, but it was enough to give him a natural insight into it's workings, as well as affected by the way the castle's form diffused the skills of beings of that nature. So it was difficult, delicate work reaching inside with his senses, just human enough to be able to work around the natural diffusion, and just clever and skilled enough to make it count. He knew Fredric was examining things in much the same way, but his boss wasn't quite as sensitive and 'dexterous' as he was.

"Yep... that was definitely Dr.Mallory" William commented, a small fraction of extra excitement creeping into his voice. One of the most famous wizards of the modern age, and he has the opportunity to see him in action in the prime of his youth, still learning his craft. A fascinating use of magic, creating that steam cloud, heat and pressure and a little fire, very skilled work.

The more interesting part was the fate hanging over him... It was an enormous and dark thing, tangled and hanging over Mallory like a cloud made from black cats, broken mirrors and spilled salt, all dyed a deep non-color by a lack of light. The wizard seemed to be holding it off though, through sheer power and will, an impressive feat William knew he couldn't pull off himself. He decided not to spend long examining it, fates had a tendency to tangle up those who prodded them, or even looked too closely.

"And he seems to be looking for something... Should we see if we can beat him there?" He asked with a grin. He was fairly certain he could create a spell to duplicate Dr.Mallory's own, and they'd probably get there first, after all, they weren't dealing with a meddling fate.

Mechanicsburg past

The cloaked progressor agent clung to the cliff face near William and Fredric, waiting for them to move so he could infiltrate the castle and find out what was going on around here. There were a whole mess of people that seemed to be from outside the proper time and now the castle seemed to be under attack. Things were getting out of hand, and he had to make sure that the civilians in the city below were safe. Sure, one could argue quite well that the people of Mechanicsburg were more than capable of taking care of themselves around mads, but he had a job, and he planned to perform it. Assuming to the two still lingering by the whole ever went inside! He hated just hanging off the cliff like this for so long and his fingers were getting a bit tired.

Mechanicsburg Present

Laughlin strode through the dark streets of Mechanicsburg at night. It had been too long, he thought to himself, since he'd last left the base. He'd had little opportunity to do so, and honestly, hadn't been too keen on leaving the safety of the base he'd had constructed and risk the plan. However Demothesis was missing, and in a manner that even the nearly foolproof method of surveillance wasn't responding to. The possibilities were limited and one of the most likely was that Demothesis had regained his Madness again, and had found a workaround. This called for action and so Laughlin was here with several of his best The Caste, to investigate the situation.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:05 pm 

Fredric glanced at William, and nodded with a grin- having been at a loss at what to do to Aide the crowd. Blad enough to see his grandfa- Florian hanging back, looking so... nervous. But he wasn;t much good in indoors terrain, still being used to flying most places.

"Yeh, lets do tha. Then we c;n work out whot th; blazes he;s doin here." he said cheerfully, pushing his hair back out of his eyes.

"Show me th; way, Wills~"

Xerox watched the unfolding hubub, and glanced at Jane. He had made a small purchase at the store, and now was as good a time as any. He held out his hand, eyes narrowing at the wreckage.

"Slap patches. A few, if you can spare them." He took out of the bag a small razor, a pair of gloves, and a childrens toy gun, the kind with the little sucker- ended darts...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:57 pm 

Chic scurries after Eustace. "Engine rooms it is! Lead on, Macduff." Eh, she has a lightning gun and a wrench. Among other things. She's enjoying the adventure too much to be particularly worried.

PresentRolf is scrambling to follow Mallory, along with the others. He doesn't remember this from living through it the first time. Of course not, it hadn't happened yet. When they get back in time, will he remember what he's experiencing now as well as whatever the him already here is doing or-gah! Rolf reaches out to squeeze Claire's hand, feeling a healthy respect for her. All the time travel she's done, how does she cope?
Well, hopefully his past self has taken care of the threat to Thorns by now!

PastRolf and this era's Heinrich and Stephan come charging through the gate, hot on the trail. "Stephan, after ve catch dem, if ve see mein odder self-feel free to give heem a keeck in de pants!"
Stephan grins, and Heinrich looks puzzled. "But Rolf, if dot's really you, vhy hyu vant him to do dot?"
"Bah, if Hy see me first Hy give him a poonch in de nose! Besides, it won't be me dot feels it, it'll be him!" Rolf glowers. Sure he would have done the same thing, finding himself-and obviously will. Does. Has. Arrgh! Time travel plays hell with verb tenses, it's enough to give one a headache.
Well, hopefully his future self is keeping watch over leedle Florian!

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:13 pm 

"It's lay on, Macduff." Eustace pointed out, running past the entry gates- grasping a piece of decoration and twisting to reveal a slim access gate. "This would be new, by now... it should take us right down to where the hole was blasted through." he explained, heading down a set of access ladders.

The access chute was dark and warm, vented from the mass of machinery that made up the castle. The ladder was thick and solid, rings that jutted out from the wall.

"Careful. Every second prime numbered rung is trapped..." he cautioned, headed towards the very bottom. Soon they merged, just on the other side of the sludge-filling pit that Mallory had fallen into- close enough for them to see the white glow from the figure, floating half-way down. They could at least hear the exchange...

"All I signed up for was to destroy the engine peice. I don;t see why you can;t do it yourself."

"It wouldn't be sporting if I did it. You seem to be avoiding the easy way, as well... wouldn;t it be easier tojust get rid of these kinds of obstacles? Whats magic for?"

"...not that. Now either shut up or help me out of this pit."

"Its not like you know anyone from this dimension~"

"I said shut up!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:27 pm 

Chic lifts an eyebrow at what's going on, then boldly strides to the edge of the pit. She calls down to the young figure covered with sludge.
"Doctor Mallory? I'll be happy to help you out of the pit-but if I do, we're taking a moment to talk. It seems like you're in a jam, and so are we. And yeah, creepy floating dude? He doesn't have to know someone here to be concerned about stuff. Dr.Mallory, I'm going to pull you out. But if you lob a fireball my way I'll drop you face first in the sludge!"
With that Chic flaps her clockwork wings, and makes her way over to Mallory. Picking him up and hoisting him out will be easy enough. If creepy floating dude doesn't attack her, or goad Mallory into doing it...
Yeah, Chic knows she'll probably have to tell him they know his future self. But she wants to see if he agrees to talk, or just attacks first.

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:14 pm 

The young Mallory looked between chic and the Figure, scowling a little. He was a far cry from the dignified fatherly sort that frequented Chic and Eustaces regular time and space. He looked like a bristling crow down in the muck, and carried himself with a defensive, haughty posture. Like someone afraid at any moment they;d be forced to go home.

"...I;m not a doctor. I haven;t finished any degrees."

The figure was a little hard to make out- there was a sense of inappropriately casual clothing... an impression of someone you wouldn't think out of place just waiting in line at the store. In xyclon, even the bit where he glowed like a halogen light could have been ignored. He looked up at Chic, smiling a little.

"Well, well. The visual metaphor is complete."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:55 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane looked at Xerox. It didn't take long for the Mad part of her brain to figure out what Xerox intended to do. A wicked grin spread across her face, and she began digging through her glossy black purse. After bypassing the traps, she recovered a short stack of slap patches and held them up.

"Any particular preference as to kind?" she asked. "I've got control, subtle control, immobilization, or sedative— and I can add mint to any of those for free."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:48 am 

Chic rolls her eyes at the glowing figure. "Metaphor, schmetaphor. Are you always such a schmuck?" Impatient, she grabs Dr.Mallory under the arms and unceremoniously hoists him out of the pit, depositing him in front of Eustace.
"Okay, D-er, Mallory. Let's try this again." She absently wipes her hands on her labcoat. She's a mechanic, a little oil and grease doesn't bother her. "More talk, less fireballs. We are disposed to listen, believe it or not." She flashes a quick grin at the scowling figure.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:54 pm 

~Claire~

I tug on Rolf's hand. "Let's go follow Master! He might need something." I'm a hench! I have to be around if Master needs me. ...and I wanna see what was going on with the shiny smoke and maybe I can learn about a new splosive. But the being a proper hench is the important thing.

I tug on his hand, and take a running jump into the engine room.

...EEP! SLIPPERY! I promptly fall over, sliding along the floor. Master should be around here somewhere.

I miss friction, though.

~Rada~

...was now being distracted by an Echidna in her hair. It was very confusing, even if Arky said it didn't breath fire. She wasn't sure if it was related to the strange-colored smoke, but it might have been a distraction so she wouldn't investigate.

It was a very distracting distraction. It kept rooting around in her hair and it tickled.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:54 pm 

Mallory brushed himself off- well, wiped off bits of goo, scowling as the Figure vanished. There was a faint glittering residue left in the air for a moment, before it sank to cling to the wall. Mallory glared back at it, suffing some of the muck with a shoe to cover the traces.

"...I'm not entirely sure I *should be talking to you.... miss. I'm very sorry, I really doubt you would under... hrm. I doubt you would see it from my point of view- which is what people usually *mean* when they say something as daft as 'I don;t think you would understand'."

Mallory looked up at Chic,and over to Eustace- who was furrowing his brow a little.

"....suffice to say, I am being offered freedom, and I cannot afford not to take it. I was promised no one would be hurt."

Ravel slid into the room just in time to hear that, crouching to slow himself down... his eyes wide at what he was hearing.

Outside, Xerox gestured or the knock-out patches, working fast. In a matter of about a minute, he had a full kit of sucker-guns, loadedwith squares of Janes all purpose knockout patch. They required bare skin to work... but he was pretty sure he could manage. "Jane? That last part- the ONLY place to get it is, according to Ravel, in the castle. They should have a spare..."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:05 pm 

-David with Wally and Thorns trailing behind-

It was only a narrow turn at the last minute that prevented David, Wally, and Thorns from being slammed into one of the walls of the Castle's many hallways. The narrow turn itself started driving him

It was at this point David realized he was screaming. He honestly hadn't noticed before it started getting hard to breath. The hallway they were in opened up into a catwalk overlooking an enormous room filled with vats, each with different liquids in them. David blinked as he read a sign hanging near one entrance. "...they have a room of Vats with Dangerous Liquids in them? ...wait, why would a room like this need an axe mounted to the wall underneath a "Diplomacy" sign?"

David kept them moving forward just above the surface of the catwalk, not entirely sure what to do and not sure if the "bad guys" were still going to follow them or not. "Um... where does this room lead, anyway?" He yelled back to Thorns, hoping he could hear it. He frowned. He was a bit nervous, he hoped Bureaucat would be alright, as annoying as the little fuzzbutt was.

Unfortunately they were heading towards another wall with alarming velocity...

--------------------------------------------

-Bureaucat-

His front paws immediately covered his ears as he ducked his head down near the ground. "DON'T EAT ME!" He wailed, trembing a bit... and then, adding for good measure "-OR DO ANYTHING ELSE UNPLEASANT! PLEASE!"

He had his eyes shut so he couldn't see the Thorn-Kidnappers, but he was fairly sure they were getting out the Cat recipes and barbecue sauce by now...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:46 pm 

Thorns grit his teeth, reaching up slowly against the force of flight.... counting to three to let go of wally over the single vat of safe, if slightly gross, water. That done, he used his spare hand to carefully reach forward- Grasping onto Davids arm. "....the chemical laboratory. Tell you what! I;ll build you a dem new one!." he found what he was looking for- the release on Davids arm. He slammed a fist down onto it,and the pair were very suddenly *dropped*, momentum carrying them both forward to tumble over the carpet.

The rocket arm continued without them, into a series of magical adventures with its new friends, thick stone and explosive chemical reaction.

Thorns wound up against a wall, where a single firm boot pressed to the wall had cushioned most of the impact- and despite the odds, he still had a grip on Davids shoulders. The sound of heavy steps coming towards them, however, suggested they did not have long to rest...

Only one of the heavily armed men had stayed behind, walking up to Beurocat with his weapon lowered....

"Hold still, just a moment. In the united europa, we will not make animals such as this suffer with the burden of man. Your suffering will end soon... " he said gruffly, pulling a large lever. on the side.

He only made it halfway, as something small whistled though the air, hitting him square in the forehead. He went over like a small tree, all cognitive function ceasing.

A hand gently picked Beurcat up, setting him against a black-jacketed shoulder. Xerox gently squeezed him, reloading hsi toy gun.

"You okay?" he asked, surveying the downed goon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:31 pm 

Thorns Viktor hears the sound of heavy steps, sure enough. Also an 'AAAAUUUGHHHH!!!!', as one of the aforementioned thugs comes hurtling past him, David, and Wally. Said thug lands against the wall with a thud, eyes crossing comically before closing in unconsciousness.
PastRolf, Heinrich and Stephan have finally caught up to the miscreants they've been trailing. And now that they have confirmation of his future self's warning, they throw themselves into the fray with enthusiasm.
Various snarls, screams, and thuds echo from the walls.

PastBoris slides gracefully to a stop beside Ravel. He takes in Ravel's shocked look, and glances over at the trio by the pit that Ravel's watching.
"So, who are those three jokers?" He gives Ravel's shoulder a light squeeze. "Und demmit, don't DO dot again! Hy know hyu's goink to be vanishink soon enough-hyu can at least let me help vhile hyu is here, instead of de runnink of to save de day all by hyuself."

Chic looks at young Mallory, then glances at Eustace. "Okay, then. No one being hurt sounds good. We're listening."

Jess and Mimic have caught up to Dr. Beard.
"You want what? Okay, then. Lemme dismantle the security so we can get back to the others, okay?"
Jess examines the fossil exhibit with glee. This is going to be fun!

C Valente

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next