Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Wars
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:51 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-Bureaucat-

He didn't care about time paradoxes or changing history or anything like that. He didn't care that THIS Primary Xerox didn't know who he was yet and wasn't technically his owner yet. All he cared about was that he'd been about to die and this wonderful person, who was sort-of-his-owner-sort-of-not, had just saved his feline bacon. He clung to Xerox, sniffling and hugging against him, purring in a mixture of happiness and pure relief. While Primary Xerox might not have been prepared to be the recipient of feline cuddles, he was certainly now experiencing a surplus of them.

-----------------------------------------

-The Arm on it's Magical Adventures-

Professor_Tinker wrote:
The rocket arm continued without them, into a series of magical adventures with its new friends, thick stone and explosive chemical reaction.
(YOU MADE ME DO THIS, TINKER! YOU FORCED MY HAND! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)

"Golly Gee, Mr. Arm! It sure is swell to see you on this shiny magical day!"

"You said it, Mr. Thick Stone! Have you finally won the Densest Man In the World Contest yet?"

"Aw shucks, Mr. Arm! Not yet, but I know if I believe in myself and try as hard as I can, I'm sure to be a winner!"

"Hey look! It's our friend, Mr. Explosive Chemical Reaction! Let's go see if he wants a hug!"

"Yeah! Let's rocket on over to him! Yay!"

ka. FRIGGING. boom.

-----------------------------------------

-David-

He lay on the ground as he and Thorns had landed, assessing his situation. "...I needed that arm, Mister Thorns. I really did." He sighed as he realized Thorns still had a grip on his shoulder. "You see, it was a gift of mine from a really nice friend of mine who is probably going to be quite miffed that you just destroyed it, since he's already given me two already, counting that one. And it was kind of loaded with all sorts of nifty tools and gadgets that I had been learning to use on my frequent adventures, which really would have helped us deal with those bad guys who are probably still following us. Not to mention the several hidden compartments I had other gadgets in. Really, I kept everything on that Arm. Darn it! Even my cell phone! Mister Xerox is going to kill me, I've almost used up the whole box of them he got me." He frowned.

As the sounds of PastRolf, Heinrichs, and Stephen's battle began, David frowned. "...and now it seems like they're preoccupied. And I just really revealed that I've got almost nothing left to keep you from keeping me as your prisoner. Aw darn it... why am I still so bad at this adventuring thing?"

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:34 pm 

Thorns sighed, getting up and dusting himself off. He peered in through the hole, frowning at the smoke. He wasn't a cruel man, and denying a man his sentimental prosthetic was a little past the pale. He pulled back with a hiss, and rummaged around- pulling back what was left of the arm. It was singed up, but not totally destroyed- probably a lot of the gadgets would still work, if a little buggily.

"I do apologize. There's a lot of gadgets around here- I'll make sure its fixed." he looked back, at the tangle of blasting weapons and furious Jagers, and wondered just what exactly what was going on. He did let go of David, though. There wasn't long to rest, as something in the castle shook- one of the massive war machines had fired, scything down through the stone.

Ravel looks up at boris- how to explain? The possibility of paradoxing himself was too nerve wracking to risk. He looke a little uncomfortable. He hefted himself up his arm, close enough to speak quietly.

"I know. Und I am sorry. But you were so angry You'd charge in here and just start being *angry* and... and... And right now, none of these people involved..." he glaze flickered to Mallory, covered in much, defiant as a brooding pea-hen, and then back to boris.

"....can be getting hurt."

Mallory glanced over at the Jagers, momentarily a little confused- there wasn't much like hem, where he came from. But it was a minor consequence.

"I do apologize, but there's something I have been bid to do, and a service I need rendered that cannot be accomplished, near as I know, any other way..."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:48 am 

Chic nods, matter of factly. "I have a suggestion. For reasons I'd better not get into, we're disposed to trust you. Yeah, I know cryptic pronouncements are annoying as hell, but paradox is involved. Tell us what you need done. Maybe we can help, who knows? You don't know until you tell us, even a infinitesimal chance is a chance, right? And if we can't.....you said no one would be getting hurt. If we can't help you, then I'd say do what you need to. You're a good man, and I'll bank on that. His Nibs here-"Chic jerks a thumb at Eustace-"has veto power. And I'll give a little. let me think, what can I safely say about us...okay. We're looking for a particular item, so if your job is destroying that, we are so having words. Some joker has, ah, displaced us from where we should be, and I don't want to think about all that could happen if we can't go home, personal grief aside. So talk already!"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject: Sarcastic is either being brilliant here or downright stupid
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:23 pm 

-David-

He smiled. "Well, thanks for letting go of me, then. I mean, I guess it does look kinda bad that I'm here like this, but I'm not a spy or something. I'm just..."

----------------------------------

-Quick Flackback to things we haven't seen!-

Sarcastic folded her arms. "Ok. Let's go over it again."

David sighed. "Sarcastic, why are we doing this again?"

Sarcastic glared at him. "Because you have a track record of being zapped out of your proper position in time and space, a knack for getting into things other people would rather kept private, and too much of a tendency towards honesty in situations when it's only going to get you in more trouble. So you're learning how to be vague and sneaky, if only because you're also crap at lying."

David frowned and rolled his eyes. "I just don't see the point in learning to be underhanded. Isn't this the sort of thing that will only get me in more trouble?"

Sarcastic raised an eyebrow. "You'd think that, but usually no. If you're caught in a compromising situation somewhere where people don't want you to be, they're unlikely to believe anything you tell them directly. If you SAY you're sneaking into the Duke's castle to prevent an assassin from killing the Duke, his guards are just gonna assume you ARE the assassin, or at the very least they'll think you're crazy. It doesn't matter what your intent is." She grinned. "That's where being mysterious comes into play. See, if there's one thing I've learned as an English Major, it's that people love stories. They love reading them, love watching them play out, and love participating in them. So you don't tell them why you're there. Instead, you say something mysterious and broad, like "I've come to right a grievous wrong." That way, they'll be confused about what's going on. It might not prevent them from trying to stop you, but it'll stir the story-loving part of their brain. They'll start to wonder what's going on, and how they fit into it, and what sort of game you're playing, even if you're just playing straight-forward and predictable Tic-Tac-Toe. At the very least, it'll make them a bit more receptive to you. And the best, they might even go along with you to try and figure out what's going on!"

David sighed. "I guess, but... It just feels kinda like lying. I really don't like lying."

Sarcastic sighed. "I know, I know. But think about it this way, boss... something intentionally mysterious and broad like "I've come to right a grievous wrong" is so vague that it'll PROBABLY be true anyway, no matter what circumstances YOU say it under." She frowned. "The trick is to learn to say the truth, but to say it in such an excessively melodramatic and vague fashion that people's "oh, I HAVE to see this" response is triggered. Get it?"

----------------------------------------

-Back to David-

He finished his sentence, almost on autopilot. "...here to right a grievous wrong." He blinked.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:20 am 
Heh heh heh.

~Before Xerox started to fire~
===================

When Jane heard that the last part was (only) to be found in the castle, she perked up a bit.
"Castle Heterodyne?" she said, her voice a bit higher-pitched than normal. "I've always wanted to tour that hyper-trapped monument!"
She packed the remaining slap patches back in her purse. "Used to be, I even decided I'd overload my lair with traps. I was trying to imitate it..."

JN looked over at Xerox. "...but when I get back, I think I'm going to start remodeling. Take most of the traps out. Expand the living quarters. Maybe hardwood floors. With all this time-traveling, I've realized. It's time to plan ahead... for the future."
At that point, Xerox started blazing away with his toy gun.

Last edited by Jane Narbon on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:39 pm 

~Claire~

Ack slidey! I don't even know where I am anymore...

...wait, I seem to have stopped moving. I think I crashed into the shiny Master's Dad. I'm kind of in a pile with him, at any rate, and he seems to have been knocked down, and what with me stopping moving, that would make sense.

Oh, there's Master! "Hi, Master! I found you! Do you need anything?"

It's a lot harder to hench for Master when he's big. It's harder to tell what he wants. "Did you find the time machine thingy yet? Should I help carry it?"

~Teal~

"Peep!" She hugged Dadee's thumb. Yay Dadee~

...where was Mamee? She looked around, then peeped at Dadee again. She hadn't seen Mamee in a while.

She liked Mamee... maybe she'd get to see her again soon.

~Laitu~

Was napping back on the island of time, curled up against her Mommy. She was sleepy and had ended up staying behind this time.

~Rada~

She was still confused about the animal in her hair... she looked around for Elizaveta. Elizaveta was sometimes good with animals, too.

...Elizaveta seemed to be talking to that capitalist spy Arky wasn't dating. Hm. Maybe she could help with the strange animal while Arky didn't go on a date. And then maybe they could follow the catperson into the castle. Spying on catpeople was hard...

~yJames~

The boy with the teeny peeping kittyperson apparently didn't have a brother... how odd. James sighed. Sometimes when he was in Mechanicsburg he got to run into... well, 'Noodle Boy' was how he always thought of him, but it didn't look like it this time.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:06 pm 

The Heterodyne Fossil Collection was a true sight to behold. A few centuries of getting lost in caves, blowing up mountains, and on one memorable occasion, suspending the water from a small patch of ocean, life forms included, a few hundred feet into the air via anti gravity to look for some pretty shells, had all paid off.

Displayed before Jess, Mimic, and Dr. Beard was an almost *opulent display of fossils from all eras of oceanic evolution, from strange little unknown trilobites, a whole almost completed 'land whale', and a massive reptilian serpent. Sadly, the latter was missing a few choice fangs, made into massive swords and displayed on the wall. They had a very tasteful plaque, at least.

Thorns would have noticed the light that alerted him to an intruder in the hall of fossils, had Davids arm not smashed through it. He was regarding him levelly, taking in such a... generalized statement. Still, he said it with a lot of conviction... for whatever conviction was worth.

"...hyu're either dumb, brainwashed, *verry* canny, or telling the truth. Either way... hym actually generally interested to see what hyu'll do next." he admitted, glancing over at the battle a little casually... noticing someone had dragged themselves out of the fray. The one who had spoken before, whos eyes had been a little especially wild, who seemed to speak for the others a little... he narrowed his eyes, a icy feeling stealing over his chest.

Florian Viktor, unsure of what was happening inside, had decided to walk back around the base of the castle, walking up the stairs. Maybe he could cut off the excitement ahead, and help somehow! he could be brave and daring, like he always *wanted* to be. His chance came a little sooner then he had expected, as his hesitant steps turned a corner, face to face with the leader of the European Unity fellowship.

His eyes seemed to glow with some inner fire, reflected back and forth through the strange warped mirrors of concepts like 'fate', and 'rightful rule'. He hefted up his war-machine un in one hand, tilting it back on his shoulder- it had been clamped into a sheet of metal bolted in *place* on his very frame, all he better to keep it.

"Haha... yes... clearly, my comrades were mere chaff from the wheat... it can still happen. I can still forge the glorious future of europa!"

Below, Dr. Mallory went pale. Hie teeth tightened together visibly, as he looked away.

"....one must assume it is. I cannot, in good conscience, harm anyone to such a degree... and worse, that bastard has forced me into just what I am escaping. I just... I no longer know what else I can *do*. I bargained against a god with a demon... because I do not know f any being powerful enough to throw aside Fate."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 am 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Dr. Beard's concentration was broken briefly by the sight of the fossil collection. This might sound strange, given she had been concentrating on finding the collection to begin with, but to actually have it there in front of her was... overwhelming. Exhilarating. Fascinating. If only this wasn't so very much the wrong time, and probably the wrong place too, she could devote a lifetime of study just to this room. Stopping by a case the full size of her apartment, she murmured to herself, "My God, it's full of sea stars." She was transfixed.
Then she remembered why she was there. She also noticed she wasn't alone.
"...Mmm? Oh! ...Jess, right?" Dr Beard didn't notice Mimic, as Mimic had abruptly become a small black backpack once Dr. Beard had started paying attention to her surroundings again. Mimic suspected she wasn't really supposed to be here. "Yes, yes, if you would help with the security system that would be wonderful. I just need... oh my. No, no, I need to focus. There's only one thing I need here and it has nothing to do with echinoderms. I'm looking for a Silurian nautiloid, about so long" (she held her arms about six inches apart) "with a shell only very loosely coiled, a bit like a cornucopia. It should have distinct ridges periodically ringing the cone and retain traces of bright iridescent teal nacre. There are only three known specimens and all of them should be here right now. I just need to find one and borrow it. Just borrow. I'll give it back." She nodded to herself as if in reassurance. "Surely the Heterodyne won't mind. Not if I give him a live specimen in return."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:47 pm 

Chic blinks. "Fate? Okay, quit being vague and tell us about this deal you made, and what it is exactly you're supposed to do, and for exactly what in return. I want to help you, but I don't want us knocked out of existence, and... just trust me, you don't want that either."

Quote:
~Claire~

Ack slidey! I don't even know where I am anymore...

...wait, I seem to have stopped moving. I think I crashed into the shiny Master's Dad. I'm kind of in a pile with him, at any rate, and he seems to have been knocked down, and what with me stopping moving, that would make sense.

Oh, there's Master! "Hi, Master! I found you! Do you need anything?"

It's a lot harder to hench for Master when he's big. It's harder to tell what he wants. "Did you find the time machine thingy yet? Should I help carry it?"

Chic barely has a chance to dodge as Claire comes careening through. And facepalms.
Dang it, she'd been vague about things-just a 'displaced from our home'. But now Claire's said the T word. Well, maybe it's for the best. How to help Mallory without negating themselves from the timestream? She's feeling more and more out of her depth here. Sighing, she taps Eustace on the arm. "Okay, 'Ace, any bright ideas?"

Elizaveta plucks the baby echidna from Rada's hair, and tucks it into a pocket. "Come on, Rada! Time to be getting to the castle and making explosions. Hey, maybe we can think of a name for your new pet on the way!"
Madelina coaxes Elizaveta and Rada into the sidecar-fortunately, it's big, and both women are small. She adjusts her scarf, and impudently winks at Arky, before revving the cycle's motor. "Better get moving if you're coming with me, Medved. The Amerikanski Express is leaving for the castle!"

PastRolf's eyes widen in alarm, seeing the ringleader advance on little Florian. It's what his future self warned him about-Thorns dying to save Florian, from the thugs who want to use them to try and replace the Heterodynes.
No.
No, it's not going to happen. Whatever his future self said. The Hell with time, and the Hell with fate!
PastRolf ignores the thug aiming at him, and leaps, narrowly missing cracking his head on the ceiling. And lands on the leader's back, claws digging in, grasping and tearing at the shoulder gun.
"RUN AVAY! FLORIAN, THORNS! IS HYU TWO DEY VANT!"
PastRolf locks his legs around the leader, and locks his arm around the shoulder mounted weapon, and pulls. Twisting it away from Florian.

Jess metaphorically rubs her hands with glee, and gets to work. Fingers become impossibly delicate lockpicks, an eel's electrical resistance is added and improved on to circumvent the voltage suddenly coursing through it, and the tiny needle that shoots out with a 'phwip!' is caught in a bit of webbing.
Jess nonchalantly swings the glass door open, and snags the fossil. "Okay, Doc. One Silurian nautaloid, as requested. Now can we get back to the others so we can go home?"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:05 pm 

-David-

He watched as everything was going on. "Um..." Things were quickly spiraling into chaos. This wasn't a bad thing for David... the Toboz Madness thrived on chaos. Aware of the growing conflict around him, all the undefined and unquantified variables, and all the growing disorder and disarray, David was thinking clearer and faster than he normally did. Let's take a look into his thought processes, shall we?

---------------------------

-David's Thought Process-

Oh no! That kid is in danger! And that guy who looks a lot like that Rolf guy is in trouble too! And that weird Jaeger guy who is apparently named Thorns is also in trouble! I've GOT to save them!

But how? I don't have my Robot Arm, I'm only decent at hand-to-hand combat, and the only other weapon I have is an energy blade in my arm that I can't even summon! Um, um, um... what would Jane Narbon do in a situation like this?

His mind came up with what he thought Jane would do. He didn't really think it'd be helpful for the people he was trying to save right now, even if it DID give her complete and unprecedented control over the entire Castle Heterodyne.

Oh, um... wait, why was I thinking about what Jane Narbon would do in this situation? Ok... um... ideas, ideas... um um um... I could... well, what would Jane Narbon do if she wasn't as intelligent, sneaky, or manipulative?

Ok, now THAT might work!

-------------------------------

-David again-

He ran forward, diving at Florian and tacking him to the ground. Wrapping his one arm around him, he slung the kid over his shoulder, wobbling back up to his feet.

"HEY MISTER, Uh, THORNS? I'M KIDNAPPING THIS LITTLE KID! BECAUSE I'M SECRETLY ON THE SIDE OF THOSE JERKBUCKETS OVER THERE! AND IF THE CASTLE SQUISHES ME, IT GETS HIM TOO, SO IF YOU WANT HIM BACK BEFORE I DO WEIRD STUFF TO HIM, YOU'LL HAVE TO FOLLOW ME DEEPER INTO THE PALACE! WE'LL HAVE AN EPIC DUEL AND STUFF! BUT NOW I GOTTA GO KIDNAP THIS KID, SO BYE!"

He took off running. If this worked, Thorns would be angry at him and his ridiculous antics and chase right after him and this kid. And all he had to do then was to lead them both away from the people who were trying to do bad stuff to them. That would keep them both safe.

He hadn't figured out a way to keep this plan from resulting in a lot of pain for him in the immediate future, but he figured planning too far into the future was calcifying. He'd deal with that problem later. He vaulted into another hallway and hoped it led him anywhere other than a dead end.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 pm 

Dr. Mallory was about to respond to Chic, when his thought process- already resembling a stock holder meeting in a tanking company, all shouting and waving of papers, name calling, bickering, and one very exasperated bloke in front of the lot of charts no ones looking at- ground to a halt. The committee process had realized, vaguely, that some new paperwork had been slipped onto the table when no one was looking, and the fellow who had actually picked it up to give it a look was screaming and setting off rocket flares.

He looked, slowly, over to Claire- eyebrows not so much raised as left in place while the rest of his face retreated, pupils seeming to have contracted down to inky sepia lttle dots one crossed gaze away from forming a confused ellipses all by themselves.

"...Time... machine?" he asked, slowly, and ina tone that could be easily misconstrued as 'calmly'. He staed down at the floor for a moment, little logical wheels turning in his mind.

Eustace caught Chics eye, and took a deep breath, squaring his shoulders up into the air. Ravel was in a state of stunned panic- Eustace didn;t *know* Ravel yet, but he knew the look. It was the look of someone too clever by half who wasn't getting nearly enough sleep, when far too much had been dumped on them all at once.

"Jäger Männer! Was machst du denn da stehen wie Schafe, meine Männer von der Jagd!? Wenn Sie, was gut für Sie, dann werden Sie immer die Funken aus dem Boot-Attacken auf Stein 10 Sekunden vor, hören Sie mich? Holen Sie sich das verdammte Stück Maschine richtig! JETZT!"* he roared, Hand snapping out to point in (what he hoped was) about the right direction, eyes alive with fire, once more seeming to grow by a foot as he fully settled the mantle of command over himself, like a familiar cloak. It wasn't *just* the sudden echoes of the Heterodyne, by half. There were some *advantages* to the unique situation he labored under, and one of them was knowing *the* tone of voice that could reach down inside the complicated machinery of *any* army man, especially THESE army men, find the little lever (usually labeled 'De Boss') and *yank*.

Hard.

It was a Wulfenbach thing.

By the time Dr. Mallory looked up, Ravel, at least, would at a dead run, Claire carried over his shoulder if necessary.

Florian let out a startled squeak as he was caught up by David, too stunned by the long, cold look down a gun barrel to protest0 even if he;d had the physical fortitude to shake him off, some things require years of experience to recover from quickly, or at the very least, require one to be an absolute *natural* in the world of high violence and dashing Swashbucklery. Let alone actually think events through.

As it would happen, Florian was, in fact, just that.

Which was why it only took him about five seconds to, with great force... hold *on* to Davids shoulder, while still kicking in the air a little bit.

"Left! Take a left!" he hissed, trying to glance back to see if Thorns was following them.

Thorns was. Not with a roar. Jager or not, he was a Sturmvoraus. A Sturmvoraus did not, instinctively, waste time by screaming when someone they loved very, very much was suddenly picked up and carried away. All available oxygen was needed for two things.

One was running, very fast.

The other was thinking. Usually, but not always, about sharp things. Sharp, little things, and all the time in the world to use them.

While all of this went on, Fredric and William had made their way, with care, down through the castle floors, dodging and bypassing traps with some effort- Fredric had a lot of power, but little technical skill (with magic, anyhow), and William had great skill, but not much power. And neither wished to risk damaging the castle. The effort to do so had left Fredric panting a little, while William re-checked their direction.

"Blow this fr' a game of soldiers... we;d get a lot more done if I could just power *you* up..."

While all of this went on, Shadowy gently tucked teal into his hands, covering her ears from the noise. He had not seen nor heard the man who spoke like this, but rather *felt* his arrival and departure, like a pocket of nuclear winter in the ambient temperature of a warm summers day.

He pressed back to the wall from it, trembling and cradling Teal to his chest.... regret sank through him, heavy as lead. He'd just... just... break it off. Somehow. This was more important... much more. His dad had always *warned* him that time travel could be hard on the heart.

He was so distracted he didn't notice when Young James was approached by a boy in a suspiciously animated black coat, with glowing red eyes set on black- who was promptly tackled, with a jubilant cry of "Noodle boy!".

If he had, perhaps he might have reflected a little on why his father, Shao Dee Vee Ran (of the ancient like Vee Ran, notorious dark magicians and thgs of south east asia), had said that so *much* in his life.

Meanwhile, Andro sat by the time machine, and carefully adjusted the mechanisms, now and then. He had Laitu on his lap, and wondered, to himself, what that chiming glowing bit in the water was. It seemed to be... dissolving, he supposed. Or sufficing, at least. Little thread thin mists of light winding from it out in a complicated five dimensional maze of paths, coiling away into nothing, or meeting up with themselves...

Time changes a person. And, sometimes, a person can change time.

(*What are you doing standing there like sheep, my men of the hunt?! If you know what is good for you then you will be getting the sparks from the boot tacks on stone ten seconds ago, you hear me? Get that damned bit of machine right! NOW! )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:22 am 

Eustace's Heterodyne-Wulfenbach voice is effective. Very effective. PastBoris and PresentRolf are thundering along right behind Ravel and Claire.
Chic lifts an eyebrow.
"Not bad, Ace. Not too shabby at all. That's part of the problem seen to!" She flashes a grin at him, and turns back to the muck covered, shell shocked, pre-doctor, Mallory. Chic strives to make her voice as soothing as possible.
"There, there...I know, it makes my head hurt, too. I was trying to avoid the T-word for all our sakes. Anyway, yeah. I can't prove that you can trust us without the risk of possibly negating our existence. Not to mention mucking up the past and future even more. Soo...please consider the fact that all we've tried to do is discuss this with you? That no violence has been done, or threatened? Why don't we just sit down and take a break from the craziness for a minute. Wish I could offer you a drink, but..." Chic rummages in a pocket. "Score! Here we go." She pulls out a carefully wrapped hunk of chocolate chip bread she bought just that morning, on the way to the hotel with Rad and Wally. She breaks it in half, and hands a chunk wrapped in a napkin to Mallory, taking a quick bite herself to show it's not poisoned.
"The universe can just quit toying with us for five freakin' minutes. We need a breather."

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:56 pm 

-David-

He veered left, carrying Florian, and vaulted over a large stone that was rising out of the floor to try and stop him. "Ok... Um... I hope you're not leading me into a death trap that only kills people above age 18 or something..."

He also hoped that only that Thorns guy was following him. And was wishing that he'd gotten a chance to reattach his rather-damaged arm. And also wondering when they were going to get food. All this running was making him hungry!

He didn't know where Florian was leading him, but he figured it was better than here!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:51 pm 

Florian leaned further forward, gritting his teeth. "Nein! It leads to the armory! ....you know how to dodge, right?" he asked, blushing a little- he'd sort of forgotten about how many traps there were, but he knew this person seemed to be TRYING to get his brother away from the heavily armed person, but there must be an upper limit on how much danger someone would put themselves into for just one or two people! ....there were Heterodyne Stories and things like that, but somewhere, deep down, Florian had always sort of cynically felt like any REAL person would surely cut and run. Stories and heroes were one thing, but real life, some random person, had to be different.

....right?

A ways behind them, Xerox

A small clicking noise was the only advance warning to the hallways walls detaching, growing spikes, and pushing suddenly inwards towards David, calculated to grind an intruder into a fine paste. Florian yelped, shaking a little as the walls came in- closing his eyes tightly in anticipation of the blow.

Dr. Mallory stared down at the piece of confectionery, and took a bite. He leaned back against the wall, taking a deep breath. The idea of a rest, even for a few minutes, was... seductive, to say the least. He hadn't been offered violence, and whatever else he'd ever learned, he couldn't bring himself to attack someone in cold blood who was just being so... *nice*. You had to be a right bastard to sucker punch someone who'd offered you tea cakes and a chance to vent.

He patted his coat down, and looked around. "Igor!"

"Yeth, marthter?"

Dr. Mallory didn't jump as his Igor materialized behind him- well used to it. He just waved a hand a little, and nodded as Igor set a large thermos in his hand. He opened it, took a sip, and and passed it to Chic. He gave her a small smile, looking... tired. Like he hadn't slept in a long time, or slept well anyhow. It was a look Chic might have recognized from college, on the face of someone trying to take extra classes, during finals. And had had to announce something unpleasant back home, during a family dinner.

"...here. Its just a hot tea, with milk."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:59 am 

-David-

His head turned just as the spiked walls moved forward to crush him. At the immediate moment he saw them approach time sputtered to a crawl, as he moved at the speed of perception.

I thought the Castle wouldn't attack us if I was with this kid!?! No!

If I could run or move faster, I would. Dropping to a roll would still be too slow and might drop the kid. Can't use the arm slung over my shoulder-stump, its not attached and even if it wassoth the damage the gadgets might not work. No time to outthink it.

The energy sword in my human hand. It cut this places floors before. Might work now. Can't rely on it. No other hope I can think of. Gotta try.

He wasn't going to make it, so he grabbed Florien by his shirt collar and swung his one good arm around, fastball-specialing Florien forward. It was a stupid straightforward attempt, but it barely worked. Florien Viktor cleared the spiked walls rushing forward from both sides.

David used the momentum of the throw to spin his body around to face one of the oncoming spiked walls. The damaged robot arm slung over his shoulder pointing towards them. He brought up his human hand.

Just this once! Work when I want you to!

He clenched his has as if holding a sword, and swung!

It didn't work.

A moment later David Toboz was astonished he was alive. The spikes on the walls had hit an obstruction and the entire death trap had jammed. Specifically, two spikes, one on either wall, had hit his robot arm slung over his shoulder. Whatever metal the arm was made of had not only resisted melting from Mr. Explosive Chemical Reaction before, but was apparently dense enough to stop the motors of the death trap from being able to crush through it. The broken Arm was now effectively lodged between both spiked walls, acting as a pillar to prevent them from meeting. And David had a spike entirely too close for comfort lightly pressing against a place males would prefer spikes not get too near

Feeling a bit let down, and not relieved as one might expect, David crawled out from within the death trap. He sighed. "Well it would have been cool." He looked at Florien. "He, here comes that one Thorns guy. He'll need to be pretty motivated to get through THAT. Pretned I am mind controlling you or something to enrage him into keeping following us."

David's survival instinct at this point began to weep.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:40 pm 

Florian was on the floor, just clear of the spikes, staring at David in shock. That was not how the world WORKED. People went and did daft things in books, or in WARS, or they were Jagers. That happened in the stories he had read when he was little and believed in and had been shocked when he found out it wasn't like that. He had gone and found out that wars and fights happen because both sides think they are right and sometimes one side really was but it was pretty rare and even then the wrong side was all full of perfectly nice people who probably just wanted to go home.

Florian, in what might admittedly be deemed a fit of quite normal teenagery moping, had decided he clearly did not live in a world where perfectly normal men who perhaps even where at a disadvantage risked their lives almost certainly for the life of strangers.

The ramifications of this would probably have to wait for when he was not trying to lead his brother away from a madman. He stood, on shaky legs, and darted forward to look over the spikes... reaching out to builsily start unscrewing a few. They were replacable, for mainenance.

"O... oh no, I am under some kind of... horrific mind control?" he ventured, trying to peek around the spikes.

"I think that did it, hes found a blowtorch..."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:42 am 

~Claire~

Eep! I wish I understood... um, language. Whatever Eustace said sounded important...

Now Master's carrying me and running. Maybe that's related to what Eustace said. I wonder if we found the time machine parts yet?

I wave to Rolf, who's also running. "What did Eustace say? Am I supposed to be doing something?"

My trips to Mechanicsburg are usually way less confusing than this.

~Rada~

Ooooh... motorcycle. And PET! She usually didn't get to have pets... they liked to wander off and do their own thing. "Do you think I can keep it? It's all snuffly... It doesn't seem to talk. That's a good sign for a pet, right?"

~Young James~

"Eep!" He was nearly knocked over by the tackle. "You're HERENOW! I looked and I didn't see you!"

He hugged the other boy tightly. The nice boy who had MADE noodles for him to eat and who wouldn't let the jaegers pick on him and who was really smart and who he didn't get to see nearly often enough...

"I think I met your brother, by the way... but he said he didn't have a brother..."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:19 pm 

Chic nods, and takes a swig from the thermos, then hands it back to Mallory. "Thanks."
She blinks. Splot? Mmmm...

Elizaveta grins at Rada. "Of course you get to keep it! It appeared in your hair, didn't it? Snuffly...oh! What about Snuffles for a name?" She reaches out of the sidecar and tugs Arkhale's sleeve.
"Arrrky! Explosions! Castle! Explosion!" She wishes he'd get on the motorcycle so the Amerikanski spy he isn't dating can get moving. What if they're too late to blow anything up?
"Arrky! Canwecanwepleeease?"

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:48 pm 

The tea was actually only about 1/8th Splot, the rest being regular black tea. This perhaps explained how Dr. Mallory had been awake for seemingly a long time... it did not explain how he was doing this and not just *gibbering*. It bespoke of a truly unfortunate level of tolerance, if nothing else.

"....I guess I may as well explain a little. It has a lot to do with progress. Specifically, a force not wanting there to *be* any. There's... ah. Well. I;m a Mallory- which is a lot more dire in Ubervaltian. We're an offshoot line of the Evil Emperor himself! I only found that out, I might add, a few years ago. And THAT was a nice surprise, let me say... and since then, its like..." he sighed, pushing his hair back.

"It seems like I keep getting pushed by the world into being this... this big villainous figure. An I don;t WANT to be. I like going to school! I like studying. Even if I do want to do wickedly, I want it to be because I choose to... maybe after I get a degree. And I don't want to do it to Ankh Morpork." he sighed, and looked up into the air over him... to the eyes of a wizard, there was a giant, spiral black *mass* over him.... like smoke, but horribly solid.

It was a hand. Huge, and pitch black. The literal hand of Fate, who was not at all metaphorical in the Discworld... not metaphorical at all.

Ravel, leaping over a patch of stones, patting Claires back. "He told us to stop standing around and to get the time machine part! So that's where we;re headiiiiingg----AAGH!" he had tripped over a jutting copper pipe, going flying...

"Oi!" with a breif flash of feathers, claire landed against a broad, blue coated shoulder. Fredric caught her, looking up at the table of figures before him- Ravels nose was halted a few inches from the ground, Rolf and Boris each having thrown a hand out to catch him by the chest.

Arkhale started a little, and glanced at his companions.

"... we are *supposed* to be being discreet." he protested, before thinking....

".... so that is why we are going, and knocking nice on door, und asking nice, hello, having problems? Just is wondering citizens." he finished, smiling and stalking towards the castle...

((authors note- more addressed tomorrow, hand cramping.))

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:21 pm 

-David-

"Well... SHOOT. I thought you said this was the way to an armory!" David frowned, staring at the wall in front of them. Dead end. "Although... given that Castle Heterodyne can drop heavy stuff on you from above and make walls slide out at you to crush you and stuff, I guess I can't be that surprised that it can cut us off if it wanted to." He started to turn. "Ok, we'll find another way."

There was a loud, enraged roaring.

David sighed. "...aaand that Thorns guy is right behind us. Ok. The Famous Adventurer's Correspondence Course says we're not supposed to look nervous or scared around the people we're trying to protect, but I've gotta be honest. I have no idea how I'm going to survive this one. He's probably not going to trust anything I say and if he really DOES think you're mind controlled then he won't trust you anyway until he's had a chance to inspect you thoroughly OVER my beaten body. Surrendering would be the best choice, but those goons were after him and you, and if I guessed right, he's not going to want to leave the castle if he wins, but it's not safe for you two here right now. I don't know what's going on, but if there's even a chance that there's more of those guys, then the whole situation where they try to capture him or hurt you could happen again. I can't allow that risk if there's any way I can prevent it." He folded his arms. "Hey, I sound really smart right now! Huh, well, I guess being inside Castle Heterodyne must be helping. This place is like one big uncontrollable variable of chaos, after all." he sighed. "But the only way I can reliably protect this Thorns guy and you is if I somehow win this. If I can knock him out I can get you both out of here and then whoever's looking for him or you loses and you win. So I have to defeat a jaeger in single combat. An ENRAGED jaeger. With nothing but my bare hand. And a broken-ish Robot Arm that got impaled by two spikes and blown up. I think the rocket jets are too bent to deploy now..."

He let out a small meep and then looked back at Florian. "Um, I mean.. don't worry! It'll all be alright, ok? Just sit back and let me take care of this."

The footsteps of what he presumed was Thorns Viktor drew closer, as David tried to look intimidating and curled his hand into a fist...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane idly stroked Bureaucat as he clung to Xerox, keeping up a flow of conversation. "So, what are we looking for, exactly— and what does it look like? I doubt we'll be dodging environmental traps while swinging heroically on a rope to find the thing (hmm, now why didn't I have that in my lair before I decided to remodel...?), but it might be nice to keep an eye out for it."
Followed by, in an undertone,
"Whooo'sacat. Nice cat. Niiiice cat," as she petted Bureaucat, who was still shaking. Jane had always liked cats, and hopefully she could help calm this one a bit. It'd be her Good Deed for the day.

Jane mentally brought up the tally sheet for the system she had worked out for herself. One Good Deed a day, and five to ten instances of Being A Villain to counter it out. It seemed perfectly fair to her, so she cleared it from her mind and kept stroking Bureaucat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:31 am 

~Claire~

Eep! "Fredric! Hi!" I hug him. Yay big brother! ...I hope he doesn't mind the goop on me. "Eustace told us to find the time machine parts. Have you seen them? ...I think we need a wingding with a turny part, and a flippy whatsit, and a 15kW Radon-Flourine light source with an ellipsoid reflective surface... Does that sound right, Master?" 

Time machines are so complicated. Wait, we might not be able to get a flippy whatsit in this time period... 

~Rada~

Rada nodded. "<And then we can have some nice discreet explosions and Snuffles can play and we can do the spy stuff!>" She pet the echidna. "<Snuffles is a good name... And I since he doesn't breath fire, I can keep him! And you can not go on your date at the same time. It will be fun!>" She showed Snuffles the capitalist Arky wasn't dating.

~yJames~

He hugged the other boy, looking back at tue first boy. The first boy was holding a tiny girl with kitten ears, who was emitting confused-sounding peeps. Huh.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:53 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Thorns grit his teeth, reaching up slowly against the force of flight.... counting to three to let go of wally over the single vat of safe, if slightly gross, water.

David has fled, Florian tossed over his shoulder, Thorns in hot pursuit. PastRolf, PastHeinrich, and PastStephan are battling the armed goon squard, PastRolf having leapt upon the leader's back.
PastRolf snarls as he wrestles the maniac. Sure, the larger man is mere human to his jaeger, but he has a @#$! siege gun on his shoulder, the metal framework bolted into his flesh.
His all too human flesh...
Yeah.
There's a high pitched scream, a terrible rip, and a concussive blast as the wildly firing siege cannon goes off.
Hitting the base of the tank of manky water that Wally was dropped in.
The tank heels over on its side with a crash, as a miniature tsumani of filthy h2o and a bedraggled cyborg are swept down the corridor after Thorns.
"Did hyu do dot on purpose, Rolf? Hyu know de Heterodyne's gonna make us mop it up. Again."
PastHeinrich would scratch his head, but he's deftly dodging blaster fire.
"SHUDDOP, HEINRICH!"
The fight goes on.

Chic hands the thermos back to Mallory. "Okay. You don't want to be forced into being a villain, especially on your home turf. Someone offers you an out, by bringing you here and having you destroy an engine part, you said? Coincidentally right when we're here to find a certain part to keep us from being marooned in time, also by a mysterious person. Yeah. This stinks on toast.
And neither of us should hurt the other. Well, you're here now. Stay? Maybe being here will be enough to keep forced villain-hood away? At the least, you won't be a villain back in your homeland. And...maybe you can find another way to avoid it?" Chic's voice trails off. "I..I'm sorry. This puts it all on you, and I know asking you to take that on is a terrible thing, but I don't know what else to do. I'm a scientist, I don't know anything about escaping fates."
Chic looks at Eustace, and sighs. "Sorry, Ace. If there's a brilliant solution here, I can't find it."

Madelina zooms toward the Castle, popping a wheelie on the way to keep Elizaveta and Rada entertained. And maybe to tease a smile out of a Russian bear...
The war is over, that phase of their professional lives has wound down. Soon, they'll be opponents in earnest. But now....one last time of being allies. Better make it good.
The wind streaming past is making her eyes water.
Nothing else.
Elizaveta aims her rocket launcher as they approach. If the door isn't open, she'll knock!
With explosives!

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:39 pm 

Florian stared, still quietly disbelieving. This was... somehow, the real thing. A real, honest, serious, Hero. He didn't know for sure he'd make it.He didn't even really have a cunning plan, it seemed. He just... wanted to help. The idea was a little... disconcerting. Because what exactly could Thorns *add* to that? What did he have to offer, in the face of that kind of personality?

....besides, he supposed, a cunning plan. Okay, he could do that. He thought all the time! This was like that! Only... if he did it wrong, someone could get hurt. But if he did nothing, someone was really going to get hurt.

...come to think of it, why wasn;t the castle just... crushing people? That seemed to indicate either it washavign some wierd... plan go on, or else something was wrong. And as he had just been thinking, this was a Hero. Capital Ahych. He LIKED those. And if the Castle caught on that they were trailing his brother out of danger, then...

It was worth a try. He cleared his throat, and, internaly wincing a little, threw himself back into a half-swoon.

"Oh, heavens, we are caught.... ed. And so we will have a very ANTI CLIMACTIC end to this chase scene, unless there was SOME MIRACULOUS WAY to ESCAPE for a little longer!"
...Okay, so it wasn't a perfect delivery, but it was his first go. And, just as his brother loomed over the trap, a thin door opened in the wall. He grabbed Davids arm, and tugged him back, quickly.

"Come on! Come on!" he urged, dragging him back...

The cyborg leader staggered to his feet, bleeding heavily.... mad fires alight in his eyes. The Jagers had on the whole, been around a long, long time- give or take, perhaps. But if there was one thing even the youngest Jager learned quickly, from the battles and small wars... it was the face of someone gone not merely Mad, but merely mad. Mad the way dogs went, when there was no hope left, when anyone in their way would go down, painfuly- when even the bloodiest of heterodynes might have turned their backs in disgust. Well. Most of them. 'Mikhaliovic the unsettlingly Purplish Brown' had been found strangled in his sleep for a *reason*.

He screamed in rage, leaping forward- charging at random, and barreling towards Heinrich, gripping a broken peice of metal...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:50 pm 

-David-

"...huh." He watched as the thin door slid open. "Don't need to tell me twice." He grabbed the kid and pulled him onto his shoulders. "No offense, but I'm taller and have larger legs, and a lot of experience running away from angry things." He grabbed the door behind them and slammed it shut just as Thorns got to it, hoping it would lock as he ducked down a tight hallway.

At the end of it, there was a door with a sign that read "Armory" nailed right next to it.

David's eyes lit up. "Jackpot! That's where we were headed!" he dashed towards it. Surprisingly enough, there wasn't any death traps or anything at ALL down the hallway. In fact, it was one of the very few entirely mundane parts of Castle Heterodyne, a rarity. Throwing open the door to the armory enthusiastically, David panted, a bit relieved. They finally made it here and now everything was going to be all right and it would all work out, and-

Then he finally looked around the interior of the room. "Um... for something called an Armory, there's surprisingly few Arms. What's with all the weapons?" He was legitimately confused. "I thought we were going here to get a replacement for this thing." He hefted his battered, damaged, impaled-on-both-ends robot arm onto his shoulder as he set Thorn's little brother down. "I mean, I get that to have any hope of surviving this, I need to be able to fight back against a Jaeger, and I AM soft and squishy, and he probably knows that..." he gestured over to his right, at an Eviseratron 6000 (Which has less features than the Eviseratron 9000, but is just as fun!) "But I dunno. I don't really wanna KILL the guy. I guess the Amplified Needle Cannon is sorta nice, and I could always dismantle the Steam-Powered-Stabbity-Thing for parts, and... and..."

And then he got an idea.

David turned to the kid. "I need every energy source in this room. All of them. And a long spool of wire. We have less than five minutes, hurry! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!"

Somewhere else in the castle, Bureaucat felt the coldest chill run down his spine...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:17 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Back at the Pier

Ariel had achieved a lot in the absence of the parts-searchers. After generating perfect-play algorithms for Klondike, Hopscotch, and Jenga (then winning a dozen games of each against herself), she had gotten bored and taken to poking the ocean lapping at the little 'island'.
Strangely enough, the water felt solid, before giving way slowly to her finger— and freezing up again when she pressed to hard. Much to her annoyance, the finger was coated with a light layer of rust when it came back out. Grimacing slightly, Ariel suppressed the sensations of 'pain' coming from her finger, making a note not to put that finger in contact with anything until she could find a vat of liquid metalskin for repairs— which would most likely be upon return to the future.

Withdrawing from the shoreline, Ariel turned to look at the machine. On close inspection, it was an odd device indeed; the level of complexity threatened to stymie even her algorithms, and it was made of a mishmash of old and new parts, with items of every kind in between. The items, roughly summed, formed into a sort of computer that used no silicon or chips, a calculating machine of bones of technologies past and shiny mechanics of a future. She wasn't entirely sure what the cuckoo clock was for, though.
As she watched, the machine, whirring furiously, seemed to shift in its motions slightly, lights somewhere in the structure flickering as pieces clicked on and off quickly enough to leave afterimages. With a slight bell-ring, the door of the cuckoo clock opened. A stuffed bird, wearing sunglasses and playing a tiny saxophone, flicked out once or twice.

Without being quite sure why she was doing it, Ariel stuck her hand out, under the clock. There was a flash of light, and into her hands fell... a gerbil.
After a few seconds of looking dazed, the thing looked up at her and said, ".....oh, great."
Looking at the gerbil (still in her hand), Ariel began to move to the center of the island. As she walked, she said, "Nice to meet you. I'm Ariel. And this is a place called the Pier..."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:33 pm 

It took Florian a moment to respond, staring a little at David. It wasn't as if he hadn;t *seen* people in the madness place or anything, but never someone so... *normal* looking! You were supposed to be sleek and scary and radiating intelligence. Some hind brain function snapped him into gear after a second and he jumped- finding a spare spool of web in a cabinet, and hurried wiring up together the stored death-ray batteries, slaving them into a new power source as fast as he could- clumsily working the wires together, into something he could use...

He was learning rather a lot, quickly.

Andro glanced over at Ariel, who seemed to be in conversation with a talking gerbil- who had introduced himself as Bartholomew, which was at least some amount of relief. He smiled a little and turned back to the machine, carefully adjusting a few dials and switches... they didn't have much time. They were literally using an unfinished machine to *fix* the machine- he was just grateful enough that his skills were relevant here.

Mallory smiled a little, glancing at Chic. f all the things she could have said... in a way, 'I have no clue, sorry, good luck' was much more cheering then some speech about defying fate and never giving up hope, and doing anything you wished because wishes were dreams your heart make or something *inane* about crickets.

Eustace snapped his fingers, and smiled- looking like he;d had an idea.
"....why not just live somewhere else? You can work on it from there, and write letters home until it blows over." he suggested, waving his hand at their surroundings.

"I mean, this world alone sort of loves a good villain... and sometimes all you need to be is the *shape* of something, be the seeming and the sound, and fate will have to wash around you and away." his voice shifted tone a little as he spoke, gaining timber, and a slight accent- something crisp, and a little more... mountainous. He cleared his throat afterwards and glanced up at the ceiling, seeming a little embarrassed from the outburst.

"Claire! There y'are... on, n' ravel n' all." he nodded to the Jagers, picking Claire up. She was technichaly a lot older then him, but he was sort of... used to fussing after someone. His dad din;t need him for that the same way anymore, and taking care of Claire a little had been natural. Besides, it was nice being a big brother. He lifted her up onto his shoulder, looking around...

"We think we got a lock on th' fing whot Rav' needs, right? It was what that sorcerer was after, anyhow... seems sort of likely its the same thing." he glanced at Ravel who looked around, pointed forward, and nodded- too out of breath to speak just yet.

Outside, Rado was holding Teal close, watching her doze... he felt a little *guilty* now, about his role in any of this... he should at least have helped more! Maybe now he had food and blankets and things for teal, he could be more sure shed be okay, and do more... but he supposed if he was going to do that...

"...heyyy? Hy! Mister spooky boss man? I quit[!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:01 am 

~Claire~

I'm tall now! "Sorry for getting you all goopy, Fredric... I fell and it was EVERYWHERE and I slid but then I found Master but I'm still covered in it."

"So did we actually find a flippy whatsit in this time period?"

~Laitu~

She sat up on the island, lawning and blinking sleepily. "...did you find a food, Miss Ariel?"

~Jennifer~

She poked Jonny Noir with her mallet. At least it wouldn't rust.

~Teal~

"Peep... zzzz..." Dadee was nice to snuggle, and she was sleepy.

~yJames~

"...are you spooky boss man?" Noodle boy could be considered spooky, he guessed, and he and the other boy looked similar, and the other boy seemed to be talking to SOMEONE here... James certainly wasn't any sort of spooky boss man.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:04 pm 

-David-

Professor_Tinker wrote:
It took Florian a moment to respond, staring a little at David. It wasn't as if he hadn;t *seen* people in the madness place or anything, but never someone so... *normal* looking! You were supposed to be sleek and scary and radiating intelligence. Some hind brain function snapped him into gear after a second and he jumped- finding a spare spool of web in a cabinet, and hurried wiring up together the stored death-ray batteries, slaving them into a new power source as fast as he could- clumsily working the wires together, into something he could use...

He was learning rather a lot, quickly.

While Florian was working, so was David. As soon as he got the power source from Florian, his madness had subsided, but the idea was there. He looked at the kid as he held the power source up, as Florian noticed that there were now wires running along the parts of David's body, outside his clothing. "Um, see, I sorta got to thinking that there wasn't really any way I could build anything impressive in a short amount of time even if I DID have any idea how engineering worked. I'm really not the smartest guy with the Spark, I guess, but occasionally I just get these ideas and they kinda drag me along." He started connecting the wires to the power source, making sure it was turned off first. "I mean, I made a giant robot out of rubble once! But I didn't really know entirely how I did it afterwards. I'm a lot better at re purposing other people's stuff than actual inventing. But if I've learned one thing from doing hero-ing work, it's this: Mad scientists don't like seeing their toys get broken. So in general, they make sure their minions know, and know WELL, that they're not supposed to break it, right? If they do, they can get in trouble. A lot of it, especially if the Mad in question is a really sparky type. And the Heterodyne's like, a Super Giga-Amp 2000 or something. I'm sure Emily would know... she likes lightning and sparky stuff a lot."

He shrugged as he started pinning the power source, attached to all the wires, to his chest. "So then I thought, well, The heterodyne wouldn't want any of the weapons in here broken, right? It's his mad sciency stuff. His *toys*. Er, that is, if it's a He and not a She right now. It's kinda hard to keep track with all the time travel and mints and Lady Drezebels being thrown around, eh heh." He looked at Florian, who stared at him with a confused expression on. "Er, nevermind. You'll understand when you're older." He had no idea what "You'll understand when you're older" actually MEANT, but people said it enough to him he figured that Florian would get it. "So the Heterodynes would probably have a vested interest in making it clear to anyone working for them that their sciency stuff is not to be destroyed. So I could probably hide from Mr. Thorns' wrath behind this stuff, and he'd have to move around it to get at me. Which would probably work. Or I could do this."

He flipped a switch on the power supply, and lightning started crackling down the wires, electrocuting him.

He flipped the switch off quickly. "Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ok, maybe I should take this thing down a notch from 11..." and he readjusted the settings and then flipped it again. And winced in pain, as lightning ran down his body.

And then, every single weapon in the armory began to twitch and shudder... and then they all went flying towards him. The weapons spun around him, moving closer... and all began to cling together, forming some odd, loosely-piecemeal sort of humanoid form around him. Loose enough to allow for slow, forceful movement, but tight enough together that it formed an odd, bizarre, weapon-y sort of armor.

David turned to look at Florian, his eye twitching from the mild electrical current running through his body. "Bzzzzzzzee? All the weaponzzzzz are being held in zzzzome kinda electric field around my body, but zzzzzere all still undamaged... if Mr Thornzzzzz wantzzzz to fight me, he'll have to risk breaking the weaponzzzz and even if he dezzzzzidezzzz to do zzzzo, in the back of his head he'll still hear the Heterodyne dizzzzappproving and wagging a finger at him.... and the bezzzt part is that with the weaponzzzz like zis, they're no chance of them going off and hurting anyone!"

Florian gave David one of the most skeptical looks anyone had ever given him.

He shifted uncomfortably. "Ok, LEZZZZZZ of a chance that any of the weaponzzz will go off and hurt zzzzzomeone.", He conceded.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:31 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane Narbon

Jane looked around at Xerox, who had stopped in the room of the Castle they were in. Now, he was looking around, somewhat strangely.
"Is something the matter?" she asked. She'd been looking around as the two headed through the rooms of Castle Heterodyne. The traps here were of excellent quality.. admittedly, she had promised herself recently to remodel her lair and take out most of the traps, but she could still learn from what there was.
That, and she and Xerox had been having an inordinate number of near-misses. The whole business with the walls on pivots had been especially dangerous / cunning. She hadn't even seen it coming, and having to dangle over the associated spike pit had been exhilarating, but not something you'd want to repeat

Now, if a thing had caught Xerox's attention, trap or something else, it was a good idea to see what he was looking at before going on.
Unfortunately, as Jane turned to look at Xerox, one of her boots fell onto a small stone on the floor.
It 'clicked', and depressed downwards...

Ariel

Ariel, idly stroking Bartholomew, asked the little animal, "Are you any good at chess?"

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next