Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Xyon City...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-Meanwhile, in an old building-

In a closet somewhere, there was something green and growing.

It did not need sun, because it was not quite the sort of plant we know of.

It did not need soil, although it did appreciate the earth in its potted plant, fastening its roots.

It was not of our world, however it certainly looked like it would be.

It had been planted there by a catgirl, though it was not her intention to do so!

And sitting next to it was a small book, with a faded cover reading "Grimm Fairy Tales", which someone had been carefully reading to the plant, little by little, for just a scant time each day.

...and this story is not about it. We'll get to this green growing thing later. Perhaps.

-----------------------------------------------

-What this sidestory is REALLY about-

Sarcastic and Natalie were waiting for the door to Tinker's house to open. It hadn't yet seen fit to do so. They were bored, and the two little blobs had taken to Kyuuu-ing and Rrrrrrr-ing back and forth to each other, as if talking in some adorable manner.

Sarcastic frowned. "I guess there's no one home. Maybe we can try again later?"

Natalie snorted. "So what, we just wait? Ok, what are we gonna do?"

They started walking down the street, only to find that a flier on a streetlight caught their attention!

It read:

"Mad Paintball Tournament: Last Creature Standing"

This is an event for any and all Mad Scientists, their creations, and those in the Mad community.

This is an every man-or-woman-or-sentient-shade-of-green-for-themselves event, where you are considered dead if you sustain 3 paintball shots. Mad technology and natural advantages such as multiple arms, legs, or robotic minions are allowed, but please, no lethal force or excessive injury!

Please remember that anyone equipped with a paintball gun or some manner of paint dispersal unit is considered competing if they are made by someone already competing, and therefore after three shots to their physical body they are considered OUT.

The battle will be set in Xyon City Park and will continue until there is only one competitor that is not out.

No equipment or prior experience required! If you do not have your own guns some will be provided for you.

Please, no non-corporeal entities or sentient space squids!

Winner of this event will get the Valuable Crystal of Marinia, infamous power source and once coveted by famous geniuses such as the Notorious Lupin Madblood!

This event is going to be hosted and refereed by the ever-popular, perpetually enduring Unkillable Eddie!

Please sign below and report to the Park in an hour if you are interested in competing!
"

Sarcastic and Natalie read the form.

Then they looked at each other. Then back at the form. Then back at each other. Than back at the form.

And then malicious smiles crossed their faces...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:28 am 
Hyperkeeper

A Beginning

Somewhere in Xyon City, a young woman stepped off a bus, as the Xyon air (perpetually scented with an undertone of smoke) told her she was in the city known for its Mad population.
The woman, whose name was Mina, was nothing much to look at. Nice-looking, somewhat shorter than 6 feet, wearing jeans, boots, and a leather jacket over a shirt. Her light brown hair had no luster, and was currently pulled back into a ponytail. Overall, she looked relatively... average.

Looking up at the tall buildings, she wandered through the city in a daze, awed. Unconsciously, she dodged the occasional projectile flying past. She had come to Xyon.
Mina had done henchwoman's work in other towns for whatever Mads there were, and had gotten somewhat skilled; now, Xyon City seemed a particularly auspicious location for her chosen field of expertise.
Unfortunately, as she wandered, distracted, she didn't notice that she had drifted right into Xyon City Park, where the paintball game was getting ready to begin...

Post subject: They certainly are not.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:33 am 

-Sarcastic and Natalie-

"You know, I'll never really figure out how you keep talking me into this stuff." Natalie's hands worked furiously, wrapping ropes around their first paintball victim. "I mean, going to play paintball with pretty much every non-normal entity Xyon city can dredge up seems to be exactly the sort of thing that I WOULDN'T be interested in." She grunted as she started pulling on the rope, tugging a squirming figure up, suspended beneath the branch of a tree.

Sarcastic grinned. "It's because we're both bored, and because it's been too quiet here lately, and because it would let you vent some frusteration." Sarcastic patted her friend on the back. "Think about it! Miles of crazy things we're allowed to shoot! No one will bother asking you about your mysterious past! ...also, you bothered signing up because some punk thought he could preemptively keep us out of the game by taking a shot at you while we were considering signing up, remember?" She pointed at the man in the labcoat they were busy stringing up to a tree.

Natalie frowned. "True. There was that. And you get to scratch that danger-urge of yours without any real risk."

Sarcasticd grinned, waving a hand dismissively. "Yes, yes, there is that. But think about it! We can be an awesome duo! Kicking butt and taking names! With your brawn and my, uh, awesomeness, We'll be like the "Scourge Sisters" or something! Yeaaaaaaaah!"

Natalie rolled her eyes. "Our skills are up to snuff, but there is no way I'm being a member of a team with such a nerdy name."

Sarcastic grinned. "Whatever. I'm writing "Scourge Sisters" on the signup sheet as our team name while you finish tying up Doktor Von Bloodington or whatever his name was."

"DANG IT SARCASTIC WE ARE NOT THE SCOURGE SISTERS!"

-------------------------------------------------------------

-Around Mina-

"So.... our first prey draws near, does it?" Mysterious voices mumbled in the shadows, rubber noses stealth-squeaking.

A powdered face nodded. "She must be of another team, for she is not one of the Ninjutsu Battle Clowns!"

"Correct, Brother Slap-dash. And we must take out all other teams, for that is the rule of this game! She must be stopped!"

"Indeed, brother Drop-Trousers. Now let us take her out before she even knows we are hear... ninja-stealth-throwing-paint-pies, away!"

Two tiny tinned pasteries, their delicious fruity filling dyed with bright food colorings, were flung at Mina's back from some bushes behind her with nary a rustle to betray their flight...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:21 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

“You were lucky the doctors had that antidote.”
“Maybe I should have asked if I could have kept the gills. That would have been awesome.”
“You’d have no use for them.”
“I would too! I could go swimming, and swimming, and, uh...”
“You hate water.”
Axel shuddered, but was not one to let go of an argument.
“I might have liked it eventually!”
“Let me know when that happens.”
Damien pulled his map out his pocket and quickly checked their position. Good, not far. No more than five minutes walk, provided –
“Oh, hey Damien, Damien!”
- Axel didn’t get distracted.
For the second time, Damien had a flyer waved in his face. He grabbed it.
“Paintball?”
“Please?”
“Well, I guess there’s no problem with it...”
“Pleasepleaseplease – wait, you said yes?”
“Yes!”
“See how much time it saves?”
“Axel... anyway, yes you can go, provided...”
“Awww, there’s always something...”
Damien pretended not to hear that.
“...you use the equipment provided. No tinkering, okay?”
Axel sullenly scuffed his foot on the ground. This was ignored too.
“But first we need to go back to the hotel.”

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:38 am 
Hyperkeeper

Mina was primarily saved by blind luck.

As she wandered through the park that was hosting the paintball match, Mina noticed a discarded newspaper on the ground. Mumbling something about litterbugs, she knelt to pick it up. As she did, two tiny ninja pies flew over her head and splattered against a nearby tree.
Mina had been a henchwoman before. She didn't need any instruction in running, and over short distances, she could run quite fast. Now, her experience kicked in. She sprinted away, barely missing a hilarious ninja clown tripwire.

Unfortunately, this meant she sprinted towards the center of the park, where a small free-for-all in paint was going on. And she didn't even have a weapon.

Hopefully, her dodging skills hadn't gotten rusty, and were just as good as her running...

Post subject: In which the word "paint" loses all meaning
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:58 pm 

-Where it Begins-

Mina ran, dodging ninja throwing pies and sprays of food-dyed seltzer water narrowly, heading for the center of the park, where Von Killingyouguy and Doktor Schadenfreude and their minions were locked in a mock-deadly dance of paint-death.

In the growing chaos it seemed like no one was likely to notice her as anything more than another target, which was a good and a bad thing, as a minion raised a gun to shoot at her, and-

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeereeeee's Eddie!"

On a small stand nearby there was a large puff of green smoke and a man dressed in a shiny gold-glitter suit stood there, complete with a gilted top hat, skull-cane with emeralds socketed in the eyes, and a microphone clipped to his lapel. "Man, a fight before the contest has even started?!? This is turning out to be a good day!" Unkillable Eddie, the man who could not die (due to an ancient voodoo curse that had kept him alive for centuries) stood in front of the crowds of Mads, minions, and miscreations, devil-may-care glint in his eye and authority in his voice. "Greetings Madbodies, madfellows, and Mad-at-the-worlds! Sparks and Quarks of all ages, step right up and listen in! For here I am, your gracious host, Unkillable Eddie, spokesperson for the infamously under-publicized Mysterious Shadowy Organization and the official referee for this paintball competition!"

Suddenly the fighting just stopped. People tended to listen to Eddie, for whatever reason. He twirled his rod and snapped a finger as a bunch of burly goons in black suits appeared in similar puffs of green smoke to either side of him, holding duffel bags. "If I may call your attention to my gracious assistants dressed in traditional black-ops black, you will see that each of them is moving amongst you, distributing sheets of paper! These sheets of paper are, as I no doubt must remind you, are waivers granting us permission to film you in this event and absolving the organizers of this event of any liability for damages incurred as a result of this event! Please sign them, as you will not be permitted to participate in any way shape or form until you do! Granted that doesn't take into account how these events tend to inevitably escalate out of control, but then the Mysterious Shadowy Organization has a pay-off fund for budding lawsuits for a reason..."

He grinned. "Look lively now, for you're going to be watched by viewers all around the world! Anyone entering the competition late will just need to line up at this booth over here and sign the same form, but for all you early birds, you get a fresh start and a toy or two that anyone entering later will not! Now then, onto the rules:

1. The first entry is free of charge! If you get shot 3 times, which will be recorded by one of the many cameras we have throughout Xyon's lovely park, you are out! You are free to clean yourself off and buy back-in an hour after you got out if you have a thirst for vengeance, but re-entry requires you to sign a new form and provide a $20 dollar cover charge to the nice men behind the booth over there. Please be advised that they do have access to a silent panic alarm so do not threaten the booth workers, they are very nice people and we guarantee that none of them were some of the fools who laughed at you before you went mad.

2. The contest ends when there's only one team left standing or in 24 hours, whichever comes first. In the case of sudden death, the last hour will not have a re-entry option and if time runs out then whoever landed the most "kills" wins the prize.

3. There is to be no time travel, timey-whimy nonsense, or teleportation of any sort during this competition, to keep things fair! THIS MEANS YOU, Claire! (I know she's in the audience somewhere!) Anyone caught on camera doing such will have to spend an hour in the punishment clamps and thrown into a pit of ill-tempered jaguars with laser-claws. And they won't be allowed to participate any further as well.

4. Invented technology is allowed, but only using found materials you find here in the park, or anything you manage to smuggle in under your labcoat (Yes, we know you have it, don't even bother denying it) but nothing more lethal than the provided paintball guns! Paint-bombs and paint grenades and paint-machine guns and so forth are acceptable, but let's try to avoid having a repeat of Dr. Biology's "Turn People Inside Out Ray" incident from last year, ok? I mean, just ew.

5. NO SENTIENT SPACE SQUIDS! I cannot stress this enough!

Unkillable Eddie waved his arm. "Beyond that, anything goes! Now let's have someone from the crowd demonstrate the lovely technology we're giving you... a basic standard-issue paint ball gun, a nonstandard issue paintball gun (you'll see how it's nonstandard... heh heh heh.) and a single paint-grenade! Let's see..."

He looked around the crowd, and then his gaze fell... upon Mina. "Girl! You there, girl! Girl, stop all this scurrying around. Please come up here on the stage and be my lovely assistant for a moment, won't you please?"

-Xin Yun

Post subject: Stopgap
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:56 pm 

The door to the hotel opened, cutting short the miniature battle that had been taking place over the tea cups.
Sarah sighed as Axel and Damien walked in. Drat, she’d been hoping they’d have been gone longer.
Spokes watched with interest as the orange haired one plastered a piece of paper on her face.
“Hey, guess what, Sarah! Paintball!”
“I can see.” She stiffened as Damien spoke up.
“Axel, stop bothering her. Go change into old clothes, will you?”
“Okay!” Humming happily, Axel walked past to the room with the luggage, dropping the paper in her lap.
She could practically feel Spokes smirk at her. He stood up.
“I’ll just leave this here, shall I?” He placed the package on the table. “Sorry to have taken so much of your time, and thanks for the tea.” With a nod, he stood up, and left.
Damien watched him go, then turned to Sarah-
“Hey, who was-“
-into the force of her glare. He stared blankly back.
“What.”
“Nothing. So, paintball?”
That’s when Axel burst out through the door and right past them, yelling “PAINTBALLLLLLLL!”
They made it just in time to hear the last of the rules, if a bit puffed.

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 pm 

Sparky trots along briskly, wagging her tails. It's been a good day. She got to play fetch, and chess! Her new friend Damien even bought her an order of Fission chips. And Elleb found her! What more could she-
She sniffs, holding her nose in the air. Then nose to the ground,casting in a wide circle. Sniff. Run.
A shaggy green express train plows into Archimedes as he's (excuse the term) doggedly searching through the phone book.
"<ARCHIMEDES!>"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:18 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Mina stepped up on stage, a bit hesitantly. She'd done henchwoman work before. It tended to inure your danger sense to the presence of Mads, large weapons, creations, and anything truly dangerous that wasn't an immediate threat to your employer or your person (and occasionally, the former of those too). Might as well try it out.

Standing in front of everyone, she accepted delivery of a standard paint gun, a nonstandard paint gun, and a paint-grenade from Unkillable Eddie. Briefly, Mina had the stray thought that she could keep a lot of people on their toes by firing into the crowd suddenly— but she dismissed it. That sort of thing was for Mads.

Post subject: I love hookshots. Is that a crime?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:56 am 

-Unkillable Eddie!-

"Ooooooookay!" Eddie nodded, standing about 40 feet away from Mina, on the surprisingly robust stage. "Let's get this show on the road! First of all, let's demonstrate the standard technology that's going into today's weapons." He looked over at Mina. "I want you to point that standard Paintball Gun at me and shoot." He didn't even flinch as Mina, unfailingly pointed at him and shot him, straight in the chest.

As if on cue, suddenly the paintball gun in Unkillable Eddie's hand spoke up. "You have been hit. Sustain 2 more shots and you are out of the game." Unkillable Eddie grinned. "As you can see, both the standard and non-standard Paintball guns we are providing you with are outfitted with sensors to confirm hits. When the gun detects that the person who first took hold if it when we gave it to you has taken 3 hits, it will cease to function and request that you leave the park to reregister, or to quit. This is being done intentionally to keep you honest." he smeared the green paint off of himself. "But this gun is boring! It just shoots one paintball at a time! Where's the fun in THAT? Where's the style? The Panache? The DRAMA?" An evil grin slipped across his face. "Well, boys and girls, that's where the OTHER paintball gun comes in..."

He waved over to Mina. "Now then, Miss Lovely Assistant! If you would please put away the gun you're currently wielding and get out the other one..." He watched as Mina pulled up a gun that looked exactly like the other one, except it was made of a plastic blue material. "Now, the Nonstandard Paintball gun comes with 5 "Clips" of 50 paintballs each, which consists of all your ammunition until you re-enter the arena Further sources of ammo have been distributed around the park for people to discover... OR to use as trap bait. It's your call! Now, while the Nonstandard Paintball gun can function the exact same way as the first one, it also has a number of other features which I would love my lovely assistant to display for you now. Miss, would you please tap on the butt of the gun, please?"

He watched as Mina did so, and out popped a small, plastic, red and white button that looked like a target. "Good girl! Hold that up for everyone to see, will you?" he let her do that, and then smiled. "The first Nonstandard feature is something you may have all guessed. Yes, it's that old favorite banned from traditional paintball in the 90's, the Helen "Alpha" Narbon special! If you're familiar with this device, yes, they function exactly like the ones you've heard about. If you are not, than allow us to demonstrate." He pointed his cane at a nearby tree. "Miss Lovely Assistant, please affix the little target there, on that tree, and then fire at me again." As Mina affixed the tiny target and fired, the paintball in the gun CURVED as it flew through the air, turning and flying in the general direction of the target, splattering against the trunk of the tree. Unkillable Eddie laughed. "Yes! As you can see, the paintballs from YOUR GUN SPECIFICALLY are keyed to fly through the air towards your Narbon Special, if it is activated. Please note that only the paintballs from your gun specifically are keyed to fly towards the frequency emitted to your Narbon Special. While these shots aren't "Seeking" necessarily, the Narbon Special will allow shots to curve, or even hook, through the air if you give them enough space to move. If you are intent on using someone else's Narbon Special against them, you'll have to find some way to get it off of their gun! No easy task..."

He nodded at Mina. "The next few modifications on the gun are easily manipulated on the side dial mounted to the gun. There's a rapid-fire mode, of course, and "Electrified Paintball" mode, which fires a paintball with sufficient electrical charge to temporarily paralyze a non-insulated target it's hit by, which costs a whopping 10 paintballs to fire. There's also a "Grappling Claw" mode, which rather than firing a paintball, will fire a small claw out of the gun itself, allowing you to pull yourself at high velocities from one place to another nearby place. Stopping safely, now THAT'S a problem, but we had you sign a waiver for a reason..." Eddie spun his cane. "The second to last little surprise your Nonstandard gun has is called "paint-thrower mode". I'd ask my lovely assistant to demonstrate this, but it'd make a huge mess, so let me just explain. The Paint-Thrower mode will consume all fifty paintballs of one of your clips, but will, for a whopping thirty seconds, fire a torrent of paintball paint out of the nozzle of your gun. It's short range, but getting hit by this counts as an instant kill, so look lively now!"

He looked over at Mina. "The very last hidden surprise on your Nonstandard Paintball Gun is... well... I think I'll let my lovely assistant demonstrate that, if she would..."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:24 am 
Hyperkeeper

Mina, following Unkillable Eddie's direction, squeezed a secondary trigger lower on the grip of the gun. All of a sudden, the audience gasped— as did Mina, when she looked at herself.
She could see neither herself or the guns she was holding.

"That's right, folks," Unkillable Eddie said, gesturing at where Mina wasn't. "The very last feature on your paintball gun is the ability of temporary invisibility. Using it costs 10 paintballs to activate, and every shot you fire costs 2 in this mode. Beware, though— you can only move around slowly while invisible. If you move quickly (such as running), or you successfully hit someone with a paint weapon (or somebody hits you), your invisibility will flicker and wear off."

There was a curse, as an invisible Mina attempted to sneak around and collided with the podium. Unkillable Eddie smilled.
"Oh..." he said, "and while you're invisible, you're invisible to yourself as well, so don't forget where you left your paint guns! Or your hands."

At this point, Mina, who was mastering the art of invisibility, shot Unkillable Eddie from her hidden position. As Eddie had promised, she reappeared in plain view of all.

Unkillable Eddie spread his hands wide. "Thank you! That concludes our lovely demonstration with my lovely assistant, who will be receiving a free entry into the game as a gift for her help! Now, I do have a few things to wrap up with, before we begin."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:00 pm 

An ebullient Sparky gently nips Archimedes on the ear, then leaps back. "Catch me if ru can! Last one t' the parrk is a rrrotten egg!" And with a doggy grin, she dashes off.
The park isn't terribly far off, just far enough to provide a quick game of chase.
Sparky cheerfully bounds along, thinking. After chase, she'll offer to treat him to snacks-they just opened a MadDogs hot dog stand at the park. And hopefully once they have a chance to get caught up, she can get a sensible canine perspective on things. She's spent a fair amount of time in the stacks at The Library, mulling over old issues of the New Journal of Madology, and it's given her the glimmerings of an idea...
Her musing are rudely interrupted as something comes whistling through the air.
"YIPE!"
She dodges, but not quite swiftly enough.
<...paint? PAINT? GrRrrRrr...>
A short time later-
"Sorry, Miss, but you did rush into the midst of a paintball game. While you weren't the intended target, this must be chalked up to mere accident on his part, and your own carelessness in heedlessly rushing about. We can't allow you to eviscerate him." The booth drone shrugs, and the mad with the paintball gun smirks as Sparky growls in frustration.
"Heh, no revenge outside the game, mutt. And dogs can't play paintball. Especially mad paintball."
Sparky narrows her eyes, and directs her attention to the staffer. "Is that rright? No non humanoids allowed?"
"Oh, anyone's allowed. Except for sentient space squid." Paper is shuffled.
"Do rrI *look* like a sentient space squid?"
"Hmm...". Critical glance. "Nope."
"Then sign me up, Charlie." The doggy grin looks practically wolfish.
She turns to Archimedes as the form is stamped. "<Archimedes... This isn't what I had in mind when I emailed you, but I really want to show this jerk just what a mistake he made. And, this could be fun! Being allowed, heh, encouraged to chase the humans. Wanna play?>"
Hopeful wags. <"I'll take care of any entry fee. And even if you don't want to pay, I'll treat for dinner. Er...it'd have to be something like MadDogs or FissionChips, most places won't allow us in, though.>"
Cue the big puppy eyes..

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:03 pm 

-Unkillable Eddie-

"Hahaha-yes!" He twirled his cane. "I do, in fact, have a few other things to clear up. Let us go over a few other safety procedures and common sense rules for this game..."

-------------------------------------------

-Meanwhile-

Sarcastic looked over at Natalie. "Hey, let's sneak off while Mr. Eddie is rambling."

Natalie raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

Sarcastic nodded. "Because he's talking about safety stuff. Mads are probably going to be bored to tears by it. And we don't want to be around a bunch of bored Mads when he says go."

Natalie thought about that and then nodded. "Oh, right, right."

The two of them began to sneak off into the underbrush.

--------------------------------------------

-Eddie again-

"-and that is why you should never set the Dragon Toothbrush everyone's being given out right now as a consolation prize on fire. This concludes the lecture on general safety tips."

An evil grin crossed his face as he looked out upon many mad scientists who were currently bored to tears.

"And now... the word you've all been waiting for..."

"Go."

And a man in the back said "Everyone attack!" and it turned into paintball blitz.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:18 pm 

~Archimedes~

Sparky! He wagged his tail. Apparently he had misunderstood how phone books worked. He would remember for next time- he could just flip pages until Sparky showed up.

He chased her toward the park, halting when she was hit by a paintball. Dogs couldn't play paintball? Why not?

"<We can play paintball, Sparky. We'll figure out how to work the guns somehow.>"

Hmm... could Sparky reality warp? Or would they actually need hands? Although he still didn't see why evisceration was incompatible with paintball. Maybe it was a house rule thing.

~Near Unkillable Eddie~

A small toddler with spikey black hair peeked out from behind a tree. There was a fun thing happening! It was like a play fight but without knives or claws or anything else sharp. It needed more explosives, though...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:09 pm 
Hyperkeeper

As Mina heard Eddie say 'Go', her hench reflexes took over and she got behind the podium. The space where she was standing was quickly full of projectiles. As she crouched there, the usual set of feelings welled up in her, the ones that always came when a set of commands had been fulfilled: a sort of disconnectedness, and being unsure what to do next.
Fortunately, she'd learned an easy antidote: if there was someone nearby she could ask for advice, then ask them what to do.

Mina (crouched behind the podium) looked at Unkillable Eddie as paintballs whizzed around them. "Is there anything I should know before I join in?" she said, watching Eddie become the inevitable target of a dozen paintballs.
Eddie looked at Mina for a few seconds, mulling things over. Then, he came to a decision.
"You look... clever," he said. "I like you. I suppose I could give you access the secret underground passages we've dug for employees only around the park..."
Mina perked up a bit. Secret underground passages? That sounded appropriately Mad. Eddie gave her a small card.
"Just flash this backstage pass whenever you go down there, or Brusier McGee will break your kneecaps," he said. "Also, remember that underground you're not being filmed, so don't do anything awesome down there."

Mina smiled, and nodded. Now she had an (implied) mission. Activating her invisibility, she slipped away through the melee.
This would be fun!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:03 pm 

Sparky grins. Two tiny arms, shaggy furred and green to match, extend from hidden recesses in her shoulders. "< I had these added a long time ago. Really they're just to help me turn pages, and for the occasional doorknob, but they'll work well enough to pull a trigger.>"
And for rigging two paintball gun harnesses.
Hmm...maybe Archimedes can work the trigger with his paw? Or by biting it?
"<It'd be nice to have a human morph for occasions like this. Don't get me wrong, canine is obviously superior. But just to be able to climb->" Here Sparky glares at the mad they've chased into a tree-"<or drive, or go in places that are No Dogs Allowed... You'd think if it was possible for a gerbil... Ah, well.>" She takes careful aim, and pulls the trigger. A muffled 'yelp!' is heard in response.
"<Heh.>" Her tongue lolls in a doggy grin, satisfaction fills her voice. Invisibility isn't as foolproof as it seems when a canine can smell you. "< Let's flush out another one!>"

C Valente

Post subject: Like him.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:55 pm 

Sarah walks on tiptoe, darting from tree to tree. In order to get in touch with her inner sniper, she has painted two black streaks across each of her cheeks with mud.
Probably not a good idea, given the chemicals that leach into the ground daily, but she is yet to grow three heads, so, so far so good.
A flash of movement causes her to flatten herself against an oak. Slowly taking a small mirror from her pocket, she angles it to see behind her. Nothing.
Tilting it down, she notices where the ground is imprinted as if by shoes. The footprints are missing the ridge formed by the forward movement of the foot as it leaves the ground.

Gotcha~!

She angles the mirror even further, causing it to flare into her tracker's eyes... hopefully. A curse shows that, yes, they are of average height, and also apparently male.
Whoever he is, he now has a big yellow splodge across his chest.
She heads towards the sounds of Axel, which are both loud and distinctive.

Axel is having the time of his life. Damien is not. At the word go, Axel had leapt forward with a speed and enthusiasm that made Leeroy Jenkins seem cautious, dragging Damien after him. After having expended nearly all of his available paint in under five minutes, he and Damien had no choice but to quickly duck and dodge out of the fray they'd been the center of, and Damien had taken two hits.
And was now irritated enough to stomp away from Axel's endeavors to hide up a tree.
Damien blinks as a rush of green fur wielding paint and a fangy grin chases a man past him. And then again as a pink blur does the same thing.
Hmmm...
Taking aim, he sights the back of the man's jacket, and fires.

------

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:43 am 
Hyperkeeper

Mina snuck off as the park exploded into pandemonium. She found the first of the underground passages— hidden behind the stage— easily, and walked in, flashing her pass at the guard. As she walked, she tried to solve one critical problem:
What good was invisibility if hitting someone broke you out of it? How could you use it most efficiently? Perhaps if there was some way to affect a whole lot of people at once. Say, if you shot paintballs really fast, or...

There was some construction debris lying on the bottom of the tunnels. Mina looked, but the one thing she was looking for wasn't there. She started searching. Surely, it had to be here somewhere....

15 Minutes Later

It had taken a whole lot of searching, but Mina had finally managed to find what she needed: a half-discarded roll of wire. Now, she just had to get out of these tunnels, and find an appropriate location.

10 Minutes After That

As Mina was sneaking along, invisible, she moved into the open. Firing at a random Mad who had teamed up with several others, she let her invisibility flicker off of her.
Unfortunately, this meant that all of the teamed Mads saw her. Mina began to run, trying to move as erratically as possible and dodge if she could. If she could just make it to a nearby forest glade, she'd be safe. But could she make it in time?

Post subject: I couldn't reisist writing Khan and Sahara into this...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 am 

-Sarcastic and Natalie-

"So how are we gonna win this one, Sarc?"

Natalie and Sarcastic had taken shelter behind some bushes near a small stream in the park. Anyone sneaking up on them would have to walk through the water and make a lot of noise, and the other side of the creek was covered in thornberry bushes, which they imagined would discourage snipers from the other side. Sarcastic was laying on the ground, back turned away from Natalie, so they had both their backs covered. Sarcastic yawned. "It's simple." Sarcastic fitted her nonstandard gun with it's first clip of paintballs. "We use Mad Scientists' natures against them. Most Mad Scientists are ostentatious and theatrical, it's kind of a constant for the field. They don't just want to obliterate their foes, they want you to KNOW it was them that did it. So most of the won't bother with anything foolish like sniping or-" She fell silent just as a man in a large white labcoat with fiddly stuff sticking out of it burst through the brush at them, holding a paintball gun in each hand, holding them in a crossed patten across his chest.

"TASTE DEATH, MORTALS, AT THE HANDS OF LORENZO THE BRAI-"

Natalie and Sarcastic didn't let him finish. They both pointed a gun at him and started firing.

BLAT!
BLAT!
BLAT!
BLAT!
BLAT!
BLAT!

As their opponent was defeated, Sarcastic smirked. "Nice. But I thought we only had to shoot someone three times for them to be out?"

Natalie looked back at her. "'There is no overkill, only "Open Fire!" and "I need to reload!"", Sarc. You taught me that, remember? It was from one of your weird nerd comics."

Sarcastic chuckled. "Hey, they're legitimate literature! And it's a good lesson, shut up. Anyways, back to what I was saying: We'll be fine as long as we employ caution and stealth. Most Mad Scientists, at least the blustery, less dangerous sort, will just charge in with weird devices and not really think of defense much."

Natalie raised an eyebrow at her. "How do you know that for sure?"

"Genre Savvy." Sarcastic tilted her head in the direction of the fleeing Lorenzo. "It's one of the first things you learn in College English 101, right before "Secret Uses for Participles"."

Natalie paused. "... and that's what you learn your BASIC English class? All ours taught us was how to use literature as propaganda."

"A class taught by Professor Andrew Tinker." Sarcastic grinned.

Natalie sighed. "Are there any ORDINARY English teachers at our school? At all?!?"

-------------------------------------------

-Meanwhile-

"For the last time, Khan, Mr. Hobbes was a perfect gentleman! He was just showing me a good time!" Sahara put a paw on Khan's back, nuzzling him.

Khan, meanwhile, had both front paws folded and growled irritably. "Hmmph. I don't like that scoundrel. I'm glad he went back to Not-Here-istan or whatever he came from."

Sahara giggled. "Europe, I think. He was SOOOO polite and debonair, though."

Khan glared. "SO ANYWAYS, we should look over the "alternative equipment" they gave us for this paintball tournament or whatever."

Sahara nodded. "Good idea! It'll take my mind off how good a kisser he was~" She couldn't really resist. Khan was being SO jealous and she was loving every moment of the inappropriately-shaped-shoe being on the other paw for once. As she watched his eyes flare in frustration, she pulled some odd hats out of the bag they'd received, holding one in her mouth and then dropping it in front of her. "That's odd... hats with guns on them?"

Khan sniffed. "I think they fire whenever we think about firing or something." He nudged one of them onto his head and turned it away from Sahara, firing a single paintball. "There, see? We just have to aim and think."

Elsewhere, As Sparky and Archimedes were chasing the Mad they were following, a stray, feline-fired paintball went flying, splatting all over Sparky's tails.

-Meanwhile, Mina-

"Man, bored bored bored..." A single figure led five other, more servile figures.

Well, boss, if you hadn't wandered off before Mr. Eddie had finished the lecture, maybe he'd have given us something to start off with."

The man known as "Boss" paused and stomped his foot. "Foolish fool! I,

Dave Olsen!
The Bane of the Fifteenth Incarnation of Dr. Who!

do not waste my time LISTENING to people! We will take action! At... uh... uh..."

Suddenly, Dave Olsen and his five Daveish Minions watched as Mina appeared out of nowhere, invisibility falling off of her like an ill-fitting cloak. He pointed at her. "HER! Right there! Fire with reckless and wild abandon at that inconsequental and otherwise uninvolved girl! Now! NOW!"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:46 am 
Hyperkeeper

Mina ran. If she knew anything about Mads, they'd follow her. She headed for the nearest patch of forest— perhaps, if she got inside, she could lose them.
It was a headlong rush, but eventually Mina dived into a glade, rolling behind a tree. 6 running Mads followed behind her, entering the forest— and stepping on the tripwire Mina had set in the middle, and covered with leaves. Connected to her non-standard paintball gun (set on autofire), the wire triggered the gun to go off, its paintballs flying towards Dave Olsen and company. All of Dave Olsen's followers got hit, many more than once. She didn't have time to see what happened to Dave.

Before the six could retaliate, Mina grabbed her non-standard paintball gun and ran for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:35 pm 

-Dave Olsen-

A hand emerged from the pile of people Mina's trap had left covered in paint.

"INSOLENT FOOL! ...whoever you are!"

An unpainted Dave Olsen pulled himself out of the pile. "Your puny mind cannot possibly comprehend the power of... USING YOUR OWN MEN AS MEAT SHIELDS!" He grinned as he grabbed a hench-Dave from the pile of painted people and grinned. "I won't let up. Not a bit. And certainly not for you, unnamed insignificant girl-type-person! He stood up, firing at her while using the groaning hench-dave as a shield.

-----------------------------------------------

-Unkillable Eddie-

"That sensation in the air. It's unmistakable." Unkillable Eddie paused, looking around. "It's as if the very forces of mishap and trouble themselves have manifest here to cause me problems. Almost like... CLAIRE!" he whirled around, grabbing the small black haired toddler behind the tree. "...wait, you're not a Claire. Who are you?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:37 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Mina didn't bother to respond to Dave. She ran, activating invisibility as she did so. In seconds, she could have been anywhere, having run into another patch of forest. After checking to make sure she was relatively unobserved, she slowly began sneaking out to the grassy areas of the park, neatly dodging an ammo clip in a clearing (she could see from the bending of a tree's branches up above that someone was laying in wait).
Hopefully, she had gotten away with it, and could look for another target.

Hopefully.

The trickling of a stream attracted Mina's attention. She looked ahead to see a small creek, with thorn bushes surrounding it in a clump. Mina wasn't sure, but she thought she could see two women, facing back-to-back. There weren't any positions to take a good shot from. Hmmmmmm....
Mina thought about the weapons she had been given, then decided on the one that could do the job the best here: her single paint grenade. Lining herself up with the best angle for throwing, Mina pulled the pin on her grenade. Then, she released the lever and waited exactly 1.5 seconds, winding up as she did.

Once she felt the grenade was about to go off, she hurled the paint-explosive, fastball-style, right at Sarcastic and Natalie, then ran. She wasn't unnoticed. As she jetted away at top speed, she felt something splat against her back, as her gun warned her that she could only take two hits more.
She'd have to get sneaky from hereon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:06 pm 

Sparky blinks, as the mad she and Archimedes have been chasing is hit by someone behind them. She turns her head and sees-"Damien?"
But she shouldn't have let herself become distracted. There's another 'splat!' as Khan's test paintball splatters across her tails.
Two more hits and she's out!
<"GrrrRRRrrrR! Those mangy felines gets HATS with telepathic guns? It's discrimination! Why weren't those offered to us, Archimedes?">
(Cut away to the sign up booth, where the sign up clerk is happily reading the latest book in a series of cuddly feline mysteries.)
Shaking her head, she returns her attention to the human before her. Hmm...he just took out their target and he's deliberately not pointing his paintgun their way?
"Archimedes, meet Damien. Damien, is ris a time out, orr are ru looking t' join forrces?"
Hmmm...if he is-
Sparky has a sudden vision of Archie and herself using their superior speed to chase a target down, while Damien takes aim from his perch on someone's back....
Could work. She's carried Chic before.
An evil doggie grin crosses her face at the thought. That stripey bundle of fleas won't know what hit him.
"rrreh...heh...hehhh..." Her eyes gleam brightly, just for a moment. It's a trifle disconcerting. She cocks her head at Damien, and pants happily, cheerful puppy eyes gazing into his.
"Well?"

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:38 pm 

-Sarcastic and Natalie-

"So, the plan?" Natalie had her back pressed against Sarcastic's as they watched for coming victims.

"Well-"

And then a paintball grenade fell into Natalie's lap. Sarcastic jumped up, firing in the direction of whoever threw it, but neither of them were fast enough to escape and- SPLAT!

Sarcastic wiped some paint from her face. "...well, I guess that makes US out..." She scowled.

"Rrr....RRR!"

Something, sitting on Natalie's chest, looked up angrily, disturbed from his sleep. Erik glared angrily around, covered in paint. He looked around for the source, and saw Mina retreating. "RRRRR!"

Sarcastic looked down at him. "The sleeper has been awoken! Now he will unleash wrath upon all of the foolish mortals upon this world!"

Natalie glared at her. "...really?"

Erik suddenly hopped off her chest, grabbing the girl's Standard Issue Paintball guns, and chasing after Mina, holding one with each arm-nub. Somehow.

Sarcastic watched. "...ok, ok. I was just kidding. But apparently he's going after that girl, though."

Natalie paused and watched. "He has no idea of the rules of this game, does he?"

Sarcastic. "Nope. Are you worried about him getting lost?"

Natalie shook her head. "Nope, I think we'll be able to find him again while we're running around. Besides, I think he's got some way of tracking me down." She grinned. "Come on, let's go get re-registered. We owe whoever that girl is some payback, assuming Erik doesn't get her first."

------------------------------------------------------

-Erik-

He hopped after Nina, firing two paintball guns at her, one in each arm-nub.

Somewhere along the way he'd acquired a teeny bubblegum-cigar butt, which he was pursing in his mouth like a little hard-boiled soldier.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:20 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Mina ran for it, having no grand strategy ideas left now than going out with a blast. As she sprinted, she shot anyone she could aim at (to the best she could while running) with her normal paint gun; soon, the blob chasing her was part of a mob chasing her, as she ran for dear life and hoped her energy wouldn't give out.

She had a grand total of one last resort to use. As she ran, Mina focused on her non-standard paint gun, toggling the switch to Paint-Thrower mode. Unfortunately, this, meant she wasn't looking where she was going.
Mina promptly tripped, skidding along the ground a tiny bit. Those chasing her swiftly caught up. Rolling over, Mina found a paint gun and pulled the trigger. She hoped it was the right gun, and that she wouldn't be hit before it was time....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:44 pm 

~Toddler~

"Eep!" The small boy looked up at Unkillable Eddie, his orange cat ears back against his head.
Another small catboy was sitting on his head, this one with bright yellow hair and dark purple ears the color of eggplants.
The catboy toddler looked back at his trapped arm, trying to tug it free. "Eeeeh..."
The smaller catboy peeped and glared up at Unkillable Eddie, then hopped down and tried to tug the arm free.

~Archimedes~

Paintball was NOT his strong suit. Aiming was difficult without hands, and now Sparky had been hit... he was feeling a bit lost.
Maybe he could get Dad to give him thumbs like Puppy had. Although that didn't help much now...

What they really needed to do was build a little paintball grenade catapult. Or fill buckets with paintball paint. Or use people as sheilds. Or... gah. Maybe Sparky had some ideas.

Of course, while he had been not responding, Sparky had found someone else to talk to. Canine social interaction seemed much harder than human social interaction, for some people, sometimes.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:25 pm 

-The Superhero Audition-

"Ok, very good, we'll call you if we're interested..." Flux waved off one of the first applicants he'd actually respected and then watched as the next one came in. "Ok, so what's your name?"

"Alucard."

Flux was dead silent for a moment. Then he slammed his dimunitative fist against the desk. "Get the frig out of my office."

He noticed that Captain Cape and Biome were staring at him. "You both know what I mean!"

---------------------------------------

-Sarcastic and Natalie-

The teller smiled at them both. "There! The payment's been processed and you're now both back in the game! Good luck, Scourge Sisters!"

Natalie turned and glared at Sarcastic, who was grinning sheepishly. "That is NOT our team name."

Sarcastic scowled. "Then what IS?"

Natalie grunted and started walking off.

"What IS, Natalie? I'm waiting... Come on, let's go get the jump on that little target who paint grenade'd us before." The two of them started walking off back into the park.

----------------------------------------

-Erik and Dave Olsen-

"Whats this? A diminutive green ball of goo gets between me and my quarry?" Dave Olsen glared at Erik, who was hopping in line with him after Mina. "Get out of my way or face my wrath, green thing, for I am-"

"Rrrr!" Erik tossed his paintball guns over there. growled and grabbed him by the foot, swinging him around and tossing him at Mina just as she was firing the paintthrower, soaking Dave Olsen in paint. Erik caught the two guns as they landed, growling at Mina and pointing the two guns at her, firing them with reckless abandon at her general direction.

A bit further away, some stray paintballs fired by a tiny green blob go flying over Axel's head, narrowly missing it and whizzing through his hair. Suddenly the area around him got ugly with stray paintballs firing every-which-where...

-----------------------------------------

-Khan and Sahara-

"Ok, so we gotta flank them on the left, and then we-" Khan and Sahara were talking strategy, while walking through the woods stealthily.

"Khan, I know! Dear king of predators, I know! I'll be fine!" Sahara chuckled.

Khan's ears drooped. "I'm just trying to look out for you. I mean, this is the first time you've ever done this, and you said you weren't using your powers anymore for some reason, and I'm just worried, and-"

And then they stepped into a clearing and came face-to-face with Sparky, Archimedes, and Damien.

There was a moment of awkward silence between the five of them.

Then someone fired, and chaos ensued.

---------------------------------------------

-Unkillable Eddie-

"Huh." He pulled his arm up, lifting both catboys off the ground. "I honestly was expecting Claire to show up. I even had a paint-weaponry robot all lined up to fight her and everything. So, what are your names, and who are you both?" He asked them, while letting them dangle off his arm.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:09 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Mina, now thoroughly out of the game, was walking to the registration kiosk when she noticed two familiar figures walking away. It was Sarcastic and Natalie (though Mina didn't know those names herself), the pair she'd thrown the paint grenade at before.

When she noticed them, they noticed her. Mina held up her hands. "Truce! Truce! I'm not even in the game right no—"
It did little good. Mina swiftly became even more covered in paint than she already was.

Once the firing had stopped, Mina waved both arms at the pair to get their attention. "Hey, I have a proposition!" she yelled. "I'm not in the game right now, but I was thinking. I know it's kinda unlikely after what happened, but... now that you've got back at me, I could buy back in— and we could team up! I'm a hench, so I'm good at this sort of thing."

Now it was all down to what the pair decided to do. Mina tensed. If she had to start running...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:53 am 

-Sarcastic and Natalie-

The two girls exchanged glances.

Sarcastic was the first to speak. "What do you think, Natalie?"

Natalie shrugged. "I don't care. We paid her back, the slate is clean."

Sarcastic thought about it for a moment. "If you want to do a team up, that's fine with me, but just understand that if this is some elaborate trick envisioned by a Mad Scientist you're working for, that most of the time those tend to blow up in your faces, not theirs. But hey, innocent until proven guilty. My name is Sarcastic, and this is Natalie. What's your name?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:31 pm 

BLAM! BLAM! KA-SPLORT!
Felines versus canines! The paintballs are flying fast and furious.
Feline chased up a tree by a canine? Check. Canine chased up a tree by a feline? Also check.
Damien hanging on for dear life as Sparky runs all out, and still managing to hit his target? Check.
When the dust finally settles, Sparky is so drenched in paint she resembles a rainbow that's sprouted hair.
And when a certain smug tiger smirks at her discomfiture, Sparky responds in true canine fashion. She stands next to him and shakes. With enthusiasm. Paintball by proxy!
And when it's time to buy back in for the next round, she makes sure Archimedes gets one of the telepathic hat guns.

C Valente

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next