Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Xyon City...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:30 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Axel has been discovering for the past few minutes that as great as ambushes (or in his case, amtrees) are, once you've revealed yourself you are just as vulnerable as anybody else, maybe even more so.

He yells "Boiling oil!", and once his attacker looks suitably confused, unleashes a torrent of paint right into their face, cackling. And just like that, he's out of paint. He throws the now useless gun at the person attempting to flank him, and misses entirely. They take their time shooting back - after all, he's defenceless.

A pellet hits them in the back of the head, and, when they turn around, twice in the chest as well. An individual Axel hadn't noticed sneaking up behind him suffers the same experience.

They grumble away to go pay for another round, and then the clearing is very, very quiet.

Axel squints suspiciously at the trunk of his arboreal hiding place, in case it is a tree that has a magical paintball fairy living in it, but it is too hardboiled to react to his glare. He can respect that.

But if there keeps being no one to shoot and nothing to shoot them with, he's going to get very very bored, very very quickly.

-----

Damien, as a fully fledged member of Team Sparky, is not one to shirk his duty. It's just really hard to aim accurately while riding a large canine weaving in and out between trees at blurring speed.

A shot hits him in the chest, causing him to fall off his mount, who is going too fast to stop. He rolls and quickly returns fire, and hears Sarah curse.

Current score: Team Sparky 1, Team Dodge 0.

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:54 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Sparky sighs.
"What's wrong?", Damien asks, taking careful aim at a suspiciously rustling bush. Kapow!
Cursing is heard from the paint spattered foliage. Chalk up another win for the team!
"Well...rI signed up forrr this afterr rrI'd been hit by a paintball, 'n was upset. So now rrI'm rrruning around...getting hit by more paint." She rubs one paint covered paw against the grass, uselessly, and her ears droop. "But rrI don' want 't let you 'n Arrchimedies down."
Damien reflects. He pretty much got shanghaied into this by Axel to start with...and it has been fun sniping at him. But....
"Sparky? I've got an idea."

Sparky is soon running through the part, nose to the ground. The genetically engineered hound is tracking for all she's worth. It's challenging, because the smell of paint's everywhere , but she's looking for high concentrations. Say, what you'd get from the caches of paintball ammo that Unkillable Eddie mentioned were hidden around the park.
She's also taking advantage of running into other contestants along the way. Like so-
Imagine a lone player, cornered by 5" tall monster dog, growling at them. A marksman perched on the creature's back is coolly aiming a paintball gun their way. "Give us half your ammo, and we let you leave without shooting you. Refuse, and we open fire and you're out." And their stockpile grows...

There's a steady crowd of mads at the booths ringing the stage, eagerly or grimly handing over money for another chance. Axel is arguing, demanding a bigger gun and more ammo than anyone else! Lots more! But in vain, the bored attendant has heard it all before.
Unkillable Eddie lazes in his chair, on the center podium, grinning as he watches the mayhem on the camera screens. There's a whole wall of them reflecting views from all over the park. Mads cackling and firing wildly, some paint splattered wretch vainly trying to wipe off their goggles, there's some poor sap stuck in a tree, ooh, someone rigged a net! Heh, that looked like it hurt.
Pleasantly distracted by the violence, he doesn't notice the pinata come soaring through the air until it's almost directly over head. Annoyed, he swings the mike stand to knock it out of the way.
And the contact sets it off.
KABOOOM!!
The largest paintball bomb in the history of the game explodes, drenching Unkillable Eddie, Axel, and everyone else in the vicinity.
If anyone could see through the paint downpour (unlikely), they might glimpse a scruffy, paint daubed man and a giant canine exchanging broad grins, from the shelter of the MadDogs stand.
Heads held high, a spring in their step, they leave the fray in triumph.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:26 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Captain Cape

As the day wore on the auditions got more tedious, not to mention less impressive, and even Captain Cape was starting to get a bit brusque with some of the sadder participants. "Look... enthusiasm in law enforcement is one thing, but really? Calling yourself policeman-man and using replica police uniforms and equipment? I'm pretty sure that's illegal." It was about this time that one of the local mads, with aspirations of villaindom struck.

Doctor Not-sane-o fired his death ray from around a corner at the gathering of heroes and wannabe heroes, not taking the time to aim at anyone in particular, just trying to cause as much damage as possible. Of course most of the crowd was composed of people not genuinely of superhero quality and thus a panic was inevitable. Captain Cape moved as fast as he could with the help of Biome to shield the fleeing crowd and expedite their retreat. Then as suddenly as it'd started, the shooting stopped and Doctor Not-sane-o was flung into the middle of the street by an unseen assailant. A moment later a short stocky man stepped out from the side of the building, dressed in what seemed to be the Chinese flag sewn into a simple martial arts gi. When the mad doctor pulled himself upright again, trying to aim at the man, he moved with a great deal of speed, barely a blur as he closed the distance and simply broke the doctor's wrist, sending the death ray clattering to the ground.

Turning to face the audtion stage he stated in a straightforward manner. "Hello, my name is, translated to english, Captain China. And I am here, on order from my government, to join the Ten Gentlemen."

In the light he looked to be a little under 5 feet tall, not too heavily muscled, face covered with a simple black domino mask and small cap to hide most distinguishing features. He was also, upon closer examination, wearing a light metal exoskeleton and back pack sized piece of machinery that resembled a small antenna on his back.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:12 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Mina looked at Sarcastic and Natalie. "My name's Mina," she said— then, a rumbling sound from the center of the park caught her attention.
Then, with the sound of an explosion, the tail end of a wave of paint flew out in all directions from Eddie's platform... and just managed to drench Mina, Natalie, and Sarcastic.

In the quiet that followed, Mina said, "Well! How about we have our first target be whoever 'set us up the bomb'?"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:49 pm 

-Radiant-

His brow was furrowed and his eyes had dark circles under them as the superhero Radiant, of the Ten Gentlemen, left what had been a very difficult meeting.

He mumbled, mostly to himself. "Stupid boy... did you really have the arrogance to think you could hold it all together like Braxton did? That you were anywhere near him? You were the executioner, the one who handled the monsters no one else would. The one who made sure they wouldn't hurt anyone anymore. You didn't have to be liked, as long as you knew you were doing what was necessary." He looked down. "You weren't the one anyone liked. And now it's all going to fall apart."

He put a hand on his face. "A superhero specifically to police mad scientists? Who made them think that was a good idea? Especially THAT thing... this is going to blow up in everyone's faces and the Ten will just be used as a scapegoat. And the people with the Madness gene will feel singled out, and rightly so. That thing isn't even a person. And we can't say no, not after what happened..."

He slumped over. "But... I'm not done yet. Wallowing in self misery isn't worthwhile at all. The ten will be my repentance, and I'll see that SOME good comes out of this. If I can't fix things myself I'll make dang sure I'll be of worth to whoever will fix it."

"Brother... Radiance... if you're up there, watching over us all... please forgive me. I wasn't merciful as you begged me to be. Your powers don't work right. I can't control them like you could... the Ten is falling apart and I don't know what to do now that Braxton and the other senior members are gone... I'd almost even take Malachi's help... Now I'm all alone and the others are looking to me to patch things up and no one except Flux even LIKES me. I've never prayed before. Never had any faith, but please... whoever's listening... help us. Help us all."

-Flux and Biome-

They both regarded Captain China quietly.

Biome looked at Flux. "Not it."

Flux looked back. "...dang it! Alright, fine." He turned back to Captain China. "Ok. So... what do you... do... Captain China?"

(Sarcastic and Natalie coming soon!)

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:06 pm 

After people leave for Mechanicsburg, and before paintball-

Mecha's vines idly twist, while he concentrates. He misses helping Mom in the lab. With Chic and Wally and everyone else gone to Mechanicsburg, there's only Sparky and Lagos for company. And since they're as bored as he is, they're usually out. Mecha doesn't have that option.
Refine traps, refine traps some more. Guard the lab. Idly quash someone daring to tunnel in. Join another chat room. Grow a trellis, and mechanical roses to climb it. Go back to http://www.mechanicsburg.net, again. Admire the Castle.
That beautiful, monstrous, elegant, deadly, Castle. Who he hopes liked the present he sent...
Mecha gave serious consideration to doing with Xyon what the Castle did with Mechanicsburg. Where the city was an extension of itself, traps, tunnels, weapons hidden and waiting to be turned against any foolish enough to attack the Heterodyne's stronghold. But Xyon isn't under the rule of anyone like the Heterodynes. It's not quite the same. If Mom ruled it, instead of just living here-ah, well.
For now he's settling for extending his root structure into town, in a few strategic areas. He's the dusty schefflera plant in the corner of more than one coffee shop, and an interesting bit of poison ivy in the park. Complete with synthetic urushiol. It's a start.
He included an email address with his note, but....
As he concentrates, his vines loop and twist, writhing, lovely and complex as a pit full of vipers, only not as safe. Right now, he's just something for Castle to smile over, amused at the young admirer from across the ocean. To be taken seriously, he'll need to meet xir in person.
Mecha guards the lab, alert. And concentrates just as hard on the root questing out towards the sea. His unique blend of plant instinct and machine intelligence let him divide his thought quite nicely, he's discovered. And the more he concentrates, the easier it gets. He wonders, what else can he do?
Casually bop an annoying salesman/watch HogFather with Sparky/access data on the ocean floor and chart a precise path/pause to curl around the wreckage of a sunken ship and absorb it/enjoy the chatter at the coffee shop/experiment with filtering chemicals from the sea itself/brush Sparky's fur/dream, dream of a rose climbing a castle wall...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7