Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Xyon City...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:45 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

-Axel-
"How do you feel about tryin' out for a mechanic?"
Axel practically pounces on the idea. "Yes! That would be great!"
His mind is already whirling with ideas for improvements... for example, Thrust Two is a little slow, he could do something about that. He almost don't hear Kid Atomic mention a trial period. All he's thinking is that he can do what he's best at, without interference from Damien!

-The aforementioned Damien-
... Is wandering around Xyon in a manner easily recognizable as a tourist, cheap map in hand.
Now, if I were a crazy cooking guy, where would I be?

-Isn't there a third character, somewhere?-
Sarah is also wandering Xyon - but unlike Damien, she looks like she knows where she's going.
Where is she going?

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

Last edited by Sarah McLaren on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:16 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Kid Atomic recognizes the look on Axel's face. Mad, and bursting with ideas, and needs to get started RIGHT NOW!
He casually waves a hand, indicating a rack of tools. "Go for it, Slick." Axel is moving before the Kid finishes speaking. He leans against a wall, watching.
He just may have found a new mechanic...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:16 pm 

What happens next is a scene of metallic carnage not unsimilar to a lion dismembering a gazelle.
Axel pounces on the vehicle, removing parts left right and centre, muttering as he does so.
"Mach 5... pfah! Let's see if we can put the scram in scramjet...This useless, that too... Pulse jet for lower speeds... reroute the exhaust...mufflers are for wusses..."
Gradually, the engines start to resemble Axel's favourite type: Simple, powerful, high thrust to weight ratio and exceedingly, earbleedingly loud.

-Sarah-
Sarah rounds a corner, stops, and pulls a raygun out of her pocket. It's about pistol-size, looks like its been made out of ivory and blue glass, and the muzzle has been shaped to resemble a snake's mouth. That's not important, however. What's important is the intermittently flashing blue light on the bottom. Sarah checks this, moving around, triangulating, then seems satisfied with a direction and puts it back in her pocket, before heading off.

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:32 pm 

Kid Atomic circles the car, not saying a word. He gives the engine a thorough looking over.
"Hmmm...."
He rubs his chin. A cool gaze meets Axel's eager eyes.
Then the Kid cracks a grin. "Not too bad."
He raises his hand, forestalling any outbursts. "You're hep to a wrench, all right. You may not be a hack-jockey, but you're a superlative grease monkey. But before I give you the affirmative-" He looks hard at Axel. "Can I trust you not to 'improve' every heap in the joint? See, I know what it's like, when the ideas hit and the fingers start itching. Show me you can take direction."
Kid Atomic falls back in to his familiar grin. "You can start by putting a muffler on this."
"AW.....!
Kid Atomic leans against the car, relaxed, as Axel grumbles. "Slick, I build them, sell them, keep them running, train everyone from the hep to the squares to drive them, and more. I'm starting a taxi service, I'm gettin' hitched soon, and I got an apprentice a few months back that I need time to train. She's outta town, or I'd introduce you."
Here he taps Axel on the shoulder and makes sure he's paying attention. "IF you can keep your mitts off the stock and IF you can work on what I tell you, I'll keep you busy. I'll keep you in folding green. I'll even throw in a jalopy you can tackle when the madness hits. Deal? Then show me what you can do with a muffler."

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:02 pm 

Axel grumbles. So close and yet so far! There's Damiens everywhere!
Still, he really wants this job... best to do what the rocket man says.
Mind you... he wants a muffler... he's going to GET a muffler!
A really good one! No sound at all! The best there is!
Axel eagerness to please can interact strangely with his penchant for all things awesome sometimes...

-Sarah-
Why am I getting a foreboding feeling again?
Oh, well.
She keeps triangulating. The light is flashing faster, so she must be getting closer to whatever it is.

------

Post subject: This of course, implies that Chaotic Good is a barbarian in
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:32 am 

-Tak Shing and Rumor-

Tak Shing clapped. "Joe! Or whoever is working today! Two cups of your finest Expresso blend for this man!" He pointed at Rumor, as two cups were quickly brought over to him. "Also, what's the special today? Are you serving Jabberwock?"

He looked over at Rumor and smirked. "Order whatever you want. And I do mean whatever. I'll pay this once, since you're new in town. How did you end up here, anyway?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-The Sarcastiger-

The Sarcastiger was still asleep as people entered the pound that evening.

"So is this your tiger, Mr. NPC?"

"Honestly, we've never seen it before! Our Daughter Sarcastic is friends with a tiger, but that one talks!"

"Eee! Daddy! It's a kitty! And it's got a collar on it! Can we-"

"Chaotic Good NPC! What does your mother tell you about having pets?"

"Aww... 'I'm not 'apposta have pets unless I take class levels in ranger or druid..."

"That's right. Now come on, sweetheart. This creature's just a coincidence, it's not ours. Let's head back to the car.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:42 am 

Joe's Diner. It's u-shaped, which makes it incredibly cozy. Located between the HEH and LOV headquarters, on it's own little island...somewhere. But there are portals scattered about, for those in the know. There's one tucked away in Xyon. Not many, so the diner is kept busy without being completely overwhelmed.
Josephine herself is feeling a touch overwhelmed, though. Oh, business is about as usual, but it's been just her and Gladys running the place while Joe's on vacation.
Great. First Isaac Umbra and Kinestro, now Tak Shing. At least he isn't declaring a challenge. Even Shing has learned what happens when you challenge Joe.
"Hold your horses, Shing! No, no jabberwock, still waiting on delivery for that. Got some nice Questing Beast, though. Tuna melt and tomato soup special, and the lasagna dinner." She gives Rumor a friendly nod. "New, huh? Well, we don't have a menu because we serve everything. Which means you're in luck that someone else is picking up the tab." She grins. "Tell ya what, I'll spot you a piece of pie. Yes, you too, Shing. Dolores will get your order."
Josephine gets back behind the counter, simultaneously grilling a side of Questing Beast, feeding dinner orders to Gladys to be synthesized, and keeping an eye on the place.
And hoping Joe comes back soon. How does her Pop do it? Scratch that, rhetorical question-she knows very well indeed.
Background noise. The usual. Bell rings-"Order up!" Babble of conversation. Rustle of newspaper. Electronic beeps and whirs. Dolores kicks the jukebox, and it changes from Venusian techo-pop to country western.
Rumor takes a sip. It's the best espresso he's ever had.

C Valente

Post subject: To cut a long story short...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:29 pm 

-Axel-
... and that was how a muffler that not only silenced the engine, but all other noise in a ten metre radius, was invented.

-Damien-
Was walking along when the smell of coffee threaded through the air. Immediately, he abandoned his current search, and went looking for the source.

-Sarah-
Sarah is starting to get, not frustrated, because she never is, but a peculiar type of bored. The signal keeps getting confused, with multiple hotspots around the city, none of which stand out as interesting. She takes out her mobile phone and dials a number.
"Hello? Yes, good, thanks. Why did you put a tracing device in the gun you gave me?"

------

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:08 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Kinestro

Kinestro acted as grumpy as she could as she sipped at her coffee. Isaac had kept her teleporter so she couldn't go home on her own and had to rely on him to take her back to her lair. It was embarrassing and annoying and stupid and sweet. And the fact that he hadn't given it back was the only reason she was letting him take her out to breakfast, there was no other possible reason. As for why she was a girl currently, well it wasn't fair to expect him to be the girl all the time, even if he was annoying and stupid and a thief and made her feel shy and confused. And maybe a bit happy. Maybe.

Wolf

"Afternoon officer. I understand you have my tiger?" A completely mild voice spoke from almost directly behind the animal control officer, finally alerting him to Wolf's presence, something even Sarcastic missed even with her enhanced senses. He was dressed in a dull gray suit and held out all the appropriate paperwork for the officer. now a sharply observant person would have noticed that the paperwork was a little too perfectly in order, explaining why the tiger was out even, but the animal control officer wasn't exactly the sharpest so soon the Sarcastiger was being led out of the station by agent Wolf. "Stay calm miss Sarcastic, we should be someplace I can reverse the effects of that ridiculous device soon."

Eventually Wolf led her to an empty alley and used a device to return Sarcastic to her normal self which produced the automatic reaction in Wolf of a moment of confusion as the person he was talking to suddenly dissapeared and was replaced with someone obviously completely different. A moment of forcing the mind to recognize the phenomenon allowed him to ignore the sense of unfamiliarity and continue as though things were normal. "Now, usually I don't involve myself in these sorts of shenanigans, but as I'm sure you've noticed, I'm not exactly a regular person and I will admit some sympathy to your condition's complications." He shrugged as he spoke, placing the device back into his suit. For a moment as he stood still to think, he seemed to just fade to the background to Sarcastic's perception, her eyes sliding around him to the things around the alley more than the person to the point it was like he wasn't even there. It even took a moment or two of him talking before she could focus on him again, coming into his explanation halfway through.

"...And that's why it's just about as annoying as the condition you deal with on a day to day basis."

Liam

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugh!" Liam did not enjoy flying.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:26 pm 

Sarah sighed, and snapped the phone shut.
"Reeeal mature, Kunda."
Then she put the gun back in her pockets and started to retrace her steps. No point going any furthur without any more information.

Damien walked into Joes at that point, drawn by the lure of caffiene.

And Axel continued to hum happily while reconfiguring the controls to respond more intuitively.

------

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:58 pm 

-Sarcastic-

If she had been professional she wouldn't have shown any surprise. It would have possibly impressed him, and possibly earned her some points. But she had had a long day, and was still getting her bearings, and unfortunately couldn't help by gape at someone with tendencies similar to her own. As the little pink blob kyuuued on her head and twitched little kitty ears, Sarcastic put her hands on her hips.

It's to her credit that she recovered quickly. She narrowed her eyes. "Thanks for the help. So why are you trying to curry my favor, anyway?" She shifted her hips. "I might have accepted the idea of a good Samaritan who realized that I'd been turned into a tiger and wanted to help me out, but then I find out that you're also like the one guy in the world with a disorder like mine? Not to mention that you know my name ahead of time. And modestly hot besides." She folded her arms. "It's a pretty big coincidence. Or rather, that's what I'd say if I believed it was." She looked directly at where she thought he was.

Sarcastic didn't have a high view of humanity. From her perspective, most people were selfish until proven selfless. And with the exception of one person she knew who was too... simple... to have any ulterior motives in general, she'd never met anyone she'd have called a genuine saint. This guy had done her a favor specifically to try and make her feel obligated toward him. If it wasn't the primary reason it was still a not-insignificant secondary one. The question was what he wanted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Svafa and Liam-

"Like, welcome to Valhalla!"

Svafa began to descend. "Oh... you've got some frost on your nose right here." She brushed it off his nose. "You look like, like you've never flown before... don't you know to wear stuff that's, like, warm? Poor thing! Where's some of that mead? Warms you right up."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject: Flashback time!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 am 

-Some time beforehand, on a small road somewhere outside of Xyon-
Kunda lifted an eyebrow. "Are you sure you want to stay here?"
Damien looked annoyed at having been asked the same question twice. "Yes, I'm sure. Whenever you decide to "investigate", we always end up having crazy adventures and nearly getting killed. So you can count me out."
Sarah looked at Damien like he was crazy. "Damien, do you really think that that's gonna stop stuff from happening to you? Some of the worst has actually happened when you're away from Kunda!"
But the family's trademark stubborn streak shone through. "I've made my decision."
Kunda smirked at the exchange. "Suit yourself. Here, you'll be needing this." Seemingly by magic, but actually by prestidigitation, she produced a credit card and flicked it to him. "Infinite credit card, courtesy of Stormcloud Finance. Singularly responsible for five planetwide economic meltdowns. Have fun."
Sarah rolled her eyes. "I suppose I'd better do with him." She just felt like she should. It was right.
This time Kunda looked surprised. "Okay. Well then I might as well give you this, then." She tossed a small raygun, which I don't need to describe because I already have and I'm lazy, to her.
"EMP gun. Knocks out robots, AI's and anything with an electrically based nervous system. Batteries last for 50 shots, leave it in the sun for an hour or two to recharge. No recoil. You can also set the time for unconciousness with this thing here. The rest is just point and click."
Sarah thanked her and shoved it in her pocket. Kunda winced.
Axel, who until now had been playing with bits of grass, suddenly interjected.
"Wait, I'm staying too!" He then looked at Kunda expectantly.
After a minute or two, she finally said, "...what?"
"Aren't you going to give me anything?"
Kunda stared blankly at him. "No." Kylin burst out laughing behind her.
"But you gave the others stuff!"
"That doesn't mean I'm goung to give you stuff! Besides, I gave you Alice."
"You tricked me into paying all your rent for something that isn't really mine, anyway!"
This time Kunda grinned evilly. "And that is why you should always read before signing, kids."
Axel looked puzzled. "Or they'll give you a supercomputer and then take it away except not quite?"
"Something like that." Kylin coughed pointedly. "Anyway, gotta be going. I'll pick you up in three weeks. See ya."
"Wai-!" The white door slammed shut on the words, then slowly faded away soundlessly.
The three looked at each other.
"Now what?"

------

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:13 pm 

Kid Atomic taps Axel on the shoulder. "Nice job, Slick. Tell ya what-let's take a break for some calories. Since you're new in town, we'll go to Joe's Diner. It ain't exactly in Xyon, but you can get there from here. This time, I'll treat."
Maybe he still needs drivers, but now he has another mechanic. Wait'll Laitu meets Axel! He has a feeling those two will get along. Axel seems to be as cheerful and impulsive as she is. Of course, she's just a young kid, and not mad...Still. The sun is shining and it's shaping up to be a good day. Now, for pie!

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:55 pm 

-Svafa-

She was dragging Liam to a feast hall, where she brought him several flagons of Mead and fussed over him until he'd downed at least a single flagon.

Nearby, fuming angrily over a half-finished flagon of ale, was Brynhildr. Powerless and angry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Natalie-

As she walked along back to her dorm room. Two ravens watched, cawing to each other. The little green one was trouble. Trouble that they'd have to deal with...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Tak Shing-

...was in trouble.

"OK I'M SORRY JO! I DIDN'T MEAN TO CREATE A STIR FRY MONSTER IN YOUR KITCHEN AND I CERTAINLY DIDN'T INTEND FOR IT TO EAT A BARSTOOL!"

He was running from an angry chef and his daughter.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 am 
Hyperkeeper

Some time after they had entered, Mr Calvin and Mr Hobbes staggered out of the entrance to M. They looked tired, and Mr Calvin's clothing showed signs of light damage, as if a million different projectiles had just missed him, and one or two grazed.

Mr Calvin looked at Mr Hobbes, breathing heavily. "From now on—" he said, pausing for breath, "—we agree to create a detailed plan — before attempting to invade M."
Mr Hobbes seemed slightly winded as well, though in his case it was more something in his manner. "I agree," he said, his growl a bit deeper than usual.

Regaining their usual stride, the pair walked back out into the streets of Xyon City, talking to each other all the while.

"So, what would you suggest we do now, Mr Hobbes?"

"A diversion! Leisure! Romance, Mr Calvin!" said Mr Hobbes, shifting to bipedal so he could wave an arm airily. "I do believe that a certain lioness (the object of my affections) is due a new invitation. Perhaps I could buy a live gazelle, and we could hunt it over the roofs of the city... the two of us... the chase... my snoogy-woogums..."

Mr Calvin cleared his throat. "I thought it was me who was supposed to be the lovestruck one, Mr Hobbes," he said, his voice uncertain. It was enough to return Mr Hobbes' train of thought to the present.
"Quite right," he said, shifting back to a quadrupedal form. "As both Ms. Cutename and the woman you now believe to be in love with are upon a vacation, in Mechanicsburg, I suppose we must weigh our other options, Mr Calvin. If only so we can occupy ourselves."

"We could go to Moe's Bar and see if our new 'patron' has arrived, Mr Hobbes."

"Indeed we could, Mr Calvin. And, if that was not the case, I believe there was a small dive catering to Jaegermonster emigrés nearby. We could be in time for the nightly brawl."
Mr Hobbes paused in his stride to flex his claws.

"Let us go, then, Mr Hobbes," said Mr Calvin, walking back in the direction of Moe's Bar.
"Indeed so, Mr Calvin," said Mr Hobbes, walking beside him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:56 am 

-Axel-
"Sure!" Free food! Internally, Axel updated his mental status of Kid Atomic from "rocket man" to "nice rocket man". Damien had said he wasn't to leave Xyon, but this didn't count, did it?

-Damien-
Walked into Joe's, and not only spotted Rumor, but Tak Shing being chased by two angry people, as well as a... stir fry monster? He executed a smooth 180 degree heel turn, but it was too late. He'd already been spotted.

-Sarah-
She had several options at this point.
She could try and wrangle more information from Kunda. That seemed unlikely. She'd most likely get an answer phone thing, or yet another inane attempt at diversion.
She could just give up and go back to the apartment and read. Tempting, but a waste of a good opportunity.
Or she could continue using the tracker. She hadn't covered anywhere near all the city. She could even map out the hotspots. Eh... but so much work for results of unknown value!
Curiosity fought with Laziness, and while they were distracted, Sarah exchanged a few words with Cunning.
Having decided on a course of action, she set off, grinning.

------

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:45 am 

Jo is seething. Pop gave her responsibility for the Diner. She's kept heroes, villains, and the usual collection of strays fed. Even Isaac Umbra and Kinestro have behaved themselves! She hasn't had more than a catnap since Joe left. But her pop wanted a vacation, and by all that's mad she's been determined that he wouldn't regret taking one.
Why did her pop have to pick now to check in?
"TAK SHING! YOU AREN'T LEAVING WITHOUT YOUR TO-GO ORDER!!!" Jo throws a wickedly sharp kitchen knife, with surprising force. The mad chef soon finds his chefs hat pinned to the wall behind him, knife quivering from the impact.
"You pushed your way into my kitchen, you're not getting out of it this easily!" Jo turns, at the sound of a blubbering hiss behind her.
Oh, right. Stir fry monster. And it's reaching out a perfectly crisp tender arm towards another bar stool, oozing droplets of sesame oil. Son of a gun, it smells delicious.
Jo glares at it, hands on her hips. "Oh no you don't!"

Kid Atomic steers Axel to a nearby booth. Dolores walks over, her expression sour behind her cat's eye glasses. She recites the day's specials rapidly, then pulls out her order pad.
The Kid looks over at Axel. "They can whip up whatever you like. But you gotta try the pie!"

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:19 am 

Axel sits down. He likes the red seats. He picks up the menu, but it's only so many meaningless squiggles to him. "Pie sounds grreat! I really l - oh!"

Damien finds himself tackled to the floor from behind.

"Hello Damien! I met the nice rocket man and tweaked his rockets and he liked it and he gave me a job and now we're here and you're here too! Isn't that neat?"

Well, if they didn't know he was here already, they will now...

Damien, clothes even more crumpled than before, brushes Axel off and walks over to Kid Atomic, shaking hands with him.

"Hey, you must be Kid Atomic? From the flyer? Sorry if my roommate's been a bit of a nuisance, but if what he's said is true, it can't have been that bad..."

-Sarah-
Wearing a hardhat and earmuffs, and carrying a clip board with a pen attached to it by a length of string, she dialed Kunda's number.
"It's amazing where people will let you in if you say you're doing a project." she mused.
After seven rings, the answering machine started to play.
"Hallo, you haff reached ze muffin man. Please leaff a message after ze beep." -beeeeep!-
Sarah, grinning, spoke.
"Hello, Kunda. Me again. Just a little challenge... can you tell where I am, just from the background noises around me?"

------

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 pm 

Wolf

"Clever girl." Wolf murmured lightly before answering the accusation head on, and honestly. "Yes, I am not motivated entirely by some sort of selfless need to do good." He had no reason to hide the truth, or at least this aspect of it. "You posses a unique ability, however frustrating it is. It is also, as are all things, a possible advantage.While I feel sympathy for the problems in your life it causes, I am more interested in what use it can be." He meet her gaze steadily, not that she likely noticed. "And no it's not for something selfish that I would see it put to use for. Some of use with skills outside the norm take it on ourselves to watch the world and put those skills to their full use to keep the mads of this world from killing themselves and everyone else off." He didn't bother explaining that he didn't particularly care about this philosophy and that his connection was almost solely through Diane. "We're hoping you'll consider working with us in the future."

Liam

Liam quickly downed a couple flagons of mead without showing any sign of even a buzz, though he did warm up a bit. If there had been any doubt as to his parentage before it was most assuredly gone by now. He strode over to Brynhildr and tapped her on the forehead, concentrating on "fixing" what he had broken of her powers. A second later Brynhildr's powers flowed back through her. "So, anything else before I go home?" He asked, sounding a bit annoyed.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 pm 

-The Realms Below-

The demoness of pride known as Shemyazza ought to be reintroduced.

Impossibly tall. Pale, whitish-red skin. A scowl seems to suit her face better than a smile, although both graced it in equal measures. White hair with just a trace of blue in it. A business suit covering a slender, toned body. She doesn't have a tail or horns or a forked tongue, but people who see her would probably remember her with them. They just sort of seem to FIT what people see in her, even if they aren't there. Fashionable, yet tasteful. Her movements evoke a sort of fluid restraint; much like water flowing gently down a trough. The water could easily spill over, but for the moment it merely goes with the flow.

She examined a memo in her hands. "Hmm.... of the 75 mortals who accepted the standard Faustian package, only 74 have accepted... and the hold out is..."

For the moment, a scowl graced her face. "The NPC girl. Thorn in my side."

She stood up, cupping her hands together and exerting a small fraction of her will. Where there had been nothing, now there was a small crystal sphere. And in it, a scene playing out.
Demothesis wrote:
"Clever girl." Wolf murmured lightly before answering the accusation head on, and honestly. "Yes-

She crushed the sphere in her hand, letting the diamond dust fall to the ground beneath her. "You've been held hostage, thrust into another universe, turned into a tiger, and blackmailed, all in the same day, but yet not once have you used your wish. It's a simple bargain: one wish for a soul that practically belonged to use up until the day your grandmother died a year ago. During your life more often than not you've taken the easy way out. You don't even think of yourself as a good person. So why the hesitation? I don't understand."

She was beginning to obsess. It was a little-known trait of hers. The want of what she couldn't have, the allure of the forbidden fruit, THAT was what had caused Shemyazza to fall. Pride always aspires to the greatest of heights. With a small puff of air from her lungs, the diamond dust on the floor assumed an outline of Sarcastic. She gazed at it. "You changed. Since meeting that man. How is that even possible? Mortals are supposed to be set in their mold. How are YOU possible?"

She turned away from the outline. "Hmph. You'll choose to use the wish eventually. But it would make sense to hurry this along... show that mortal upstart that hell doesn't belong to him." She walked over to her desk and began filling out some forms. Devils were advised against taking direct action in the mortal sphere, for fear that The Other Side would take notice and reciprocate, but this was clearly an extenuating circumstance. Heaven wouldn't bother sending even one angel for the sake of a single soul. They wouldn't dare.

She just had to arrange things so that the situation got worse. Make a few slight changes that in the grand scheme of things, wouldn't matter. An automobile malfunction. A man who got a bit too drunk one night. A sudden influx of goons. Things that go bad would just get... worse. No one would even suspect she was doing it. All she had to do was harry the girl until she didn't see any other choice...

It would be worth it. IT would ALL be worth it. The waiting was all. The infernal waiting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarcastic-

She opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off by the sudden loud snapping sound of rubber breaking, the squeal of a car skidding across concrete, as a sports car skidded straight towards Wolf, the little pink blob, and herself at a highly dangerous speed...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Brynhildr and Svafa-

Brynhildr looked up at Liam, a dangerous glint in her eyes. "Thank you. THANK YOU." She grinned as pleasently as she could, which looked disturbingly fake and yet was as genuine as she could muster. "Here. Let me bring you back to your home. I insist." She grabbed him and started flying. "Don't wait up, Svafa! We're going to be flying high, in the cold air, quite FAST... time is precious for mortals, after all."

-Brynhildr, about an hour-

She followed Natalie for a bit after dropping a shivering Liam off, watching her carrying a little green blob thing, before approaching her on the street.

"Hey."

She was oddly placid. She was just here to prove a point, after all.

Natalie scowled at her. That was expected.

Brynhildr looked away. "That man you rescued before. Died an hour after he got to a hospital trying to leave it." She folded her arms. "He insisted he was fine. Refused the treatments doctors told him about. Ridiculous way to die, really." She turned away.

"Gnaw away at that root all you want, Níðhöggr, you'll never escape your prison. We all have an important role to play, and fate is nothing if not cruel. Inevitably Baldur will die to the mistletoe, Loki will cause trouble for everyone, you end up a big damn hero, and I..." She started flying off. "... I get to go insane, murderous, and sociopathic; the monster the gods have you put down for the greater good, whether I like it or not."

Victory was bittersweet, and tasted more of tears than chocolate. Oddly enough, she found a slight part of her rooting for her rebellious sister, even as she antagonized her.

She didn't understand why.

-Natalie, just after hearing Brynhildr-

She was quiet. While she walked for a bit, she patted the little green blob between her cleavage for a few moments. Then, coincidentally standing just behind Sarah, she clenched her fists, closed her eyes, and delivered unto the heavens the most guttural, angry, and defiant proclamation of bestial rage that Xyon city had ever heard, or ever would hear again.

-Xin Yun

Post subject: Tea and sympathy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 pm 

And that was how one of the weirdest messages Kunda had ever heard was left on her cellphone.

Sarah turned at the cry, snapping the phone shut, and sliding it into her pocket. She walked up to the girl who'd uttered it, covering her startledness with a smooth, unruffled demeanor.

"Frustrations?" she said sympathetically, completely unconcerned at the strange green blob thing.

------

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 pm 

Quote:
"Hey, you must be Kid Atomic? From the flyer? Sorry if my roommate's been a bit of a nuisance, but if what he's said is true, it can't have been that bad..."

Kid Atomic reaches out and shakes Damien's hand. "Hey, Slick here has talent. Oh, he's a little...enthusiastic-" Kid Atomic smiles wryly-"but his knowledge box is hitting on on cylinders, and I can use another mechanic."
Bang! Thwap! A keening noise is heard as the skillet in Jo's hand makes contact with the stir fry monster.
Kid Atomic takes a sip of his java, sparing a glance at the carnage before ordering. "Shing will be lucky if they don't ban him for life for that stunt. Dolores, I'll have Questing Beast on rye, dressed, and the soup du jour. Pie for the three of us, and keep the java coming. Axel, if you want lunch, you don't have to bother with the menu."
"And take that! And that!" Jo ruthlessly baps back a tentacle, using a spatula that somehow appeared in her hand, forcing the stir fry monster back towards the Take Out Box of Holding.
Grumble mumble razza frazza...
Maybe she'll take a vacation herself, when Joe's back for good.

Somewhere-
A martial artist goes through his daily workout. He's a brawny giant of a man, with the build of a wrestler. But his moves have grace as well as controlled power. Red hair is tightly braided, the short beard neatly trimmed, and a hard fought for calm is visible in his grey eyes.
Funny, he began studying the martial arts out of sheer boredom. Not that he thought he needed to add to his fighting skills-who could out brawl him? But even mortals reinvent themselves with the passing of the years, despite how few years they're allotted.
He picked a master, and arrogantly expected him to fall all over himself, given the honor to teach a god.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN, 'NO'?" Thor roared.
Is that...contempt? in the old man's eyes? Surely not.
"I have standards. You would be a waste of my time, and a disgrace to my dojo." The wizened head shakes in negation.
Enraged, Thor smashes a nearby boulder, turning it into so much gravel. The old man doesn't so much as lift as eyebrow, but calmly turns away.
Thor begins to panic. He's already left Valhalla behind. Decided to spend his time in unlikely places-really, why did he ever think he could hide as a masked wrestler that time? Not that it wasn't fun. He could just choose another teacher, but the thought of giving up rankles. And the idea that he doesn't meet some mysterious standard rankles more.
"Wait! ...please."
Sensai pauses, face expressionless.
Thor grits his teeth. "Please. What do you want? You will be more than well compensated." The flat look on the old man's face prompts him to drop that line of attack, before he goes any farther. "I.....tell me what I need to do to get you to take me on as a student. Give me a challenge, I'll do it!"
"Hmm..." The old man stokes his wispy beard. "The heart of all is control. Not strength, not power. I doubt you can ever learn this. Save yourself the frustration, and choose another path. Something you're more suited for. I hear the International Gladiatorial League has an opening..."
"I can do this! Come on, let me prove it. I'll wrestle a giant-no, three giants! I'll turn a mountain into a valley! I'll-"
"Create a garden."
"Yeah! I'll-what?" Thor blinks.
"Start with this gravel. Make something...serene. Plants optional. You would be wise to research the subject first. My standards are very exacting." The old man gives a slight sigh, saying in all but words 'this is against my better judgement'.
"And...then you will teach me?" Thor's voice is slow.
"Then you may join me for meditation. And I will allow you to observe the lessons. If you do a satisfactory job."

Thor prepares tea, movements precise. Delicate porcelain that no one in their right mind would have trusted him with in Valhalla is skillfully arranged. A slender branch of blossoming cherry is arranged in a simple vase of glazed pottery. The wall scroll is written in old norse. His calligraphy is barely adequate. His watercolors are terrible, but he finds the practice enjoyable. He also enjoys the occasion jaeger brawl. Such fun folk! Can't be serene all the time. Balance in life is important, after all.
But the garden-ah, the garden-
Water and stone, the bench under the willow, the walking labyrinth, the sweet scents, flowers as judicious accents of color-a most calming place for meditation. Or tea.
Ragnarok? Pah. He doesn't know yet if he's reforged his fate, or just given it a good run for its money. Worthwhile, either way.

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:55 pm 

Damien is relieved, and does a bit of a poor job at hiding it. He always gets worried when Axel is out of his sight. Waking up to an angry populace on your doorstep does that.

"Yeah, he does get into things doesn't he? Glad to know he's doing a good job, though."

He orders an omelet and coffee. Without turning around, he says "Get out of that jukebox, Axel."
There is a background "Awww..."

Axel wonders how Damien does it, having never worked out the usefullness of reflective glass. Maybe he's psychic?

------

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:12 pm 

-Natalie-

She looked over at Sarah. For a brief moment she examined Sarah to see if there was anything exceptionally out of the ordinary about her. Finding nothing that would trip Natalie's "weirdness sensor", and thus identify Sarah as someone to be ignored, Natalie grunted and nodded. "...yeah. I'll tell you about it if you want, but only if we're drinking. I don't talk about weirdness unless I'm at least halfway sloshed."

She turned and started walking towards the nearest bar that didn't look to be a total dive. "Well, you coming?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-The Mailbox of Jane Narbon-

A small invitation, being carried by the wind, found it's way into Jane Narbon's mail box, oddly enough.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:15 pm 

Sarah briefly glances at the pocket which has her phone in it, but that can wait.

"Sure", she says and follows Natalie down the street. Whatever it was that prompted that cry, it's got to make a story worth a hangover.

------

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:11 pm 

-Natalie, in a bar-

She started by ordering a margarita and downing it in one swift motion of her arm, then ordering another one. She looked over at Sarah. "Do you know the story of Níðhöggr? Legend says it's a dragon imprisoned at the base of the Nordic world tree, Yggdrasill." She recieved her second margarita and started drinking. "They say that the dragon is trapped beneath the roots of the giant tree, forever unable to get out. They say that it's a horrible monstrous serpent chewing at the base of the world. No one ever says why it wanted to get out. I always thought that it just wants to be a part of it all, but cannot get out. Trapped by unbreakable bonds that would destroy the world it covets if it ever did escape."

She took another sip. "Heh. People like that woman who flew off back there... call me that as a nickname." She slumped over at the bar stool. "Ever since I've been about 10, I've been diff'rent. I started floating whenever I wasn't thinking about being on the ground. I could hear what people say when they're near death, even if they're far away. Then I started getting physically huge and strong, without even working at it." She scowled. "I didn't even know what was happening. Ruined my dreams, yanno? No one wants an actress that looks more like an action hero than a leading lady. I didn't even know what was happening, at first."

She drained her second margarita glass, and pushed it away. "Then... one day, I woke up to find these two ravens pecking at my bedroom window. Starin' at me." She looked at Sarah. "Ever hear about something like that? Another round for me an' her, bartender."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:19 pm 

Sarah raised her eyebrows at the amount of alcohol being consumed. She ain't seen nothing yet.

"Yeah, I know the legend, a bit. I always thought the dragon was gnawing at the tree to eat it, you know, as a food source."

She took a sip from her own drink.

"But I know where you're coming from. My cousin has something similar, except maybe the opposite. I think. But he got out. He proved 'em wrong. Admittedly he's now as broke as a thing with no money, but he got away. I don't know."

She stared at her glass contemplatively.

"Ravens, eh? Huginn and Munnin?"

------

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:54 pm 

-Natalie-

She nodded, taking another swig of her drink. "Yeah. Tha' exact two." She scowled. "They just came along to take me on a magical adventure. At age 14!" She groaned. "So s'pparently my destiny ta take over this job that my mom's mum was retiring from. Temporary agelessness an' workin' with gods to collect worthy souls. For the rest of my life." She scowls. "Endless feasting an' battle and amazing powers." She stuck her tongue out. "Sounds good, right? But it ain't what I WANTED..." She folded her arms. "I wanted to be an actress. An I didn't want to k-" She was quiet and started brooding. "So I tells 'em no. An' dat Loki guy just started trying to keep a straight face through the whole thing, and falls over laughing. An' then they tell me 's not my choice. It's fated, or some des-tinny thing. Sumthin' that was worked out long ago."

She finished what was likely her 12th drink. "'So I had to kick the All-fadder in the crotch."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:02 pm 

Sarah whistles. "Whoo hoo hoo! Nice one!"
She stares into the middle distance.
"Moment of Axelness aside, fate's a tricky thing. A lot of people use it as an excuse. Even more misunderstand the term. What I think, y'see, is that there's all these things, sort of like thread things, patterns and stuff."

She waves her hands in the air a bit.

"Arrgh... how do I explain thiss... Anyway, they keep repeating. The details change but the basic thing will stay the same. But! But but but but but! There's lots of 'em! They crisscross each other! They're like a braided river, like water channels and people flow down them their lives! You can't fight fate, but you can divert it, or go into another channel entirely, especially if you know what you want to avoid! Sometimes it's harder and sometimes it's easier, but it's always possible! Especially if you have an outboard motor!"

She gets quite animated at this point. Catching herself, she calms back down.

"Because "fate" is a bit like "centrifugal force". It doesn't exist, it's just the name for an effect. A catchall concept." She likes the sound of that, and sounds it out several times before continuing. "Fate's due to all the things that happened to you, the people who influenced you, your basic nature, your upbringing, and a healthy dose of chance, all acting together to make you you and your choices yours. Nothing's meant to happen, nothing's supposed to happen, nothing has to happen. It just does."

She looks down, annoyed and more than a bit embarrassed. "Drat, I mangled that. Sorry. Just what I think, not important."
She drains the rest of her glass in a gulp.
"Man, these things are moreish. Hey, bar...person...guy! Can I have another pink drink over here?"

------

Post subject: Natalie is an odd mix of girly and masculine.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:40 am 

-Natalie-

"...huh." She looked at Sarah. "'s not a bad idea." She ordered a beer for herself. "Ah like that. An mebbeh you're right." She took a long swig of the beer as the bartender brought it over. "Yer' all right, you know that?"

She frowned. "Anyway, I wouldna gotten the kick off if Odinny wasn't surprised... tha guy's not that stupid, really. An' it didn't end well fer me. 'e took it all personal-like, see?" She scowled. "Got me an old-fashioned smiting. Nona this instant stuff. Odin's a waiter." She folded her arms. "T-tha first time was the worst... ah saw the two ravens, an' then a frigging typhoon dropped on my city." She scowled. "ah was fifteen. Didn't even know how ta handle it. Scared. Terrifibblified 'r whatever." She scowled. "An other peeples got caught innit too. 's my fault, a lil' bit. His, mostleh. But mine too."

She frowned. "An' it didn't stop fer 'em until I ran. Tha storm followed meh, see?" She looked at Sarah. "So whenever ah see those two ravens again. I figure somethin's gonna happen an' I get as far away from peeple as ah can. Thought it'd be different if I went ta college at Xyon. Lotta mads here. Sumone's gotta have weather technology 'r somethin. But it ain't. It jess keeps happenin. An I got tired of it." She scowled. "So ah started tuning it all out. All tha weirdness. All uf it." She folded her arms. "An' it annoys the spit out of 'em. 's fun." She grinned. "If you don't look at it, 's no fun fer it to terrify you, geddit?"

-Xin Yun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next