Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Xyon City...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:38 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

Sarah nodded.
"That makes sense. But it seems a shame to go through life with blinkers on. I don't know if I could do it. I like seeing. Some of the most fascinating and beautiful things in the world are weird. A typhoon? Blimey. Carries a grudge, eh? Bit of a jerk, though, to involve people who had nothing to do with it. Bet he didn't even think of them. I mean, if all the boys I've kicked in the nadgers did that, I'd be in dire straits."
She thinks for a bit.
"If the weather is divine magic, then divine or arcane magic should stop it or at least mitigate some of it, depending on the user, I think. Science isn't gonna do anything.
Only person I know with weather manipulation like that is my cousin, and all he can do is summon and banish thunderstorms. But Kunda might know more. Sorry. I wish I could help."

She looks despondant. Then she pointed at a random person walking outside.

"Tell ya what, to cheer you up, I bet you I can thoroughly mystify that person in under two minutes. Wanna see?"

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:18 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

An irate Jo has dumped a take out box into Tak Shing's arms. It's the standard white styrofoam, but the size of a small suitcase, and sealed with a heavy chain and padlock.
"And I'm adding that bar stool to your bill!"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject: I couldn't resist
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 pm 

(This was immense fun to write.)

Tom is walking home, completely not looking forward to the ire of his wife, when suddenly a strange girl appears from nowhere and hastily pulls him into a nearby alley. She speaks low and hurriedly.
"Speak not of monkeys to the turkey peddler. The cheese knocks at midnight." She looked scared and nervous.

Tom starts to phrase a question. "Wh-?" She jumps, and presses a finger to his lips, looking suspiciously around. "Shhhhh! They've probably activated the listening devices by now! Don't say a thing - they use your voice print to recognize you!" He nodded. She relaxed, removed the digit, and started rummaging in her pocket.

"It's too late for me. I think I can escape... but... just in case I can't..." Tom feels something pressed into his hand. He tries to see what it is, but her hands are over it.

"Take the package. Deliver it to the address. Your payment will be there. Do not give the package to anyone unless they say the password -" Here, she whispers something in his ear. Something to do with glass and bells?
She withdrew, a sorrowful look upon her face.
"Please don't try to find me, for your sake... and mine."

Tom looks at the package, a thought occurring to him. He looks up, but the strange girl is no longer there...

-Back at the bar-
"Done. I wonder what he'll think when he opens the package and finds just a cigarette lighter and a roll of mints?"

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:22 pm 

-That Tom Guy that Sarah mystified-

...went on to stumble backwards into a grand adventure that has absolutely nothing to do with Mad Sci Wars, so unfortunately will never be expounded upon.

Pity, though. We're all really curious about what happened and how he saved the entire city of Newark from a nameless threat beyond time. All while trying to deliver a package.

He would go on to be the very first person inducted to the "Top 100 Heroes Of Our Age" List without having any idea what was going on.

Let's skip back to someone else... let's say... Brynhildr.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Brynhildr-

Martial training was one of the things that stimulated her like no other. The adrenaline rush was, as always, exceptional.

"Isn't that the Valkyrie who (mumblemumble)?"

She wrinkled her brow, giving out a cry of battle as she stabbed a spear straight into a dummy.

"(Mumblemumble) does Odin even keep her around, anyway? Won't she just- (mumblemumble)"

Ordinarily, Brynhildr just ignored such comments. But after meeting with Natalie earlier, she was a bit... out of sorts. Anger was easier than other emotions. It didn't require any empathy. With a loud bellow of rage, she twisted her spear, the force of the action popping the dummy's head off the training post. With one swift motion she caught the head in her free hand and turned, rolling it right up towards that gossip, Freya, and her cloud of friends.

She narrowed her eyes. "If I go insane and murderous, as the Fates have predicted, I would like to think that my rampage is not entirely unwarranted."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Natalie-

She snickered. "Ok, that was just impressive." By now, about two thirds of a keg later, she's slurring her speech. She reached into her cleavage and pulled out a teeny green blob-like creature. "An' this is Erik. Erik tha' Green! 'es me new best friend. 'part from yew, a'course." She smirked. "'s not actually his name. I dunno if he has a name, but 'e looks like an Erik. An' he's awesome."

Erik the newly named Green grred at Sarah, sitting on Natalie's palm.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Tak Shing-

He took the doggie bag and was shoved out. "SO AM I STILL INVITED TO COOKING AND KAROKE WEDNESDAY?" He shouted as he stood outside.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:12 pm 

Sarah tries to fight down a "Cuuuuuuuute!", and manages, with some difficulty. She strokes it with a finger, pulling it back hurriedly as it growls and snaps at it. She chuckles. "Yep, definately an Eric. What is it? And where'd you find him?"

Hang on.

"New best friend? I'm flattered!"

------

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:37 pm 

Erik pulled a small hammer from the air, waving it with excitement. He had been awoken from his nap, and was thus- in the manner of small toddlers everywhere, a little punchy.

"Wrr!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:52 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Wolf

The car bore down on the agent and Sarcastic, and Wolf wondered to himself just how many people would find it surprising just how common this sight was for him. Car swerves on the street, looking for a place to go to avoid an accident, and sees a conveniently empty stretch of sidewalk. so drive there and worry about the damage done to the tires by the curb later. Only that bit of sidewalk isn't unoccupied, Wolf's standing there, mush as he stands here today. And just like usual, he's in motion in an instant. In one smooth motion he's picked Sarcastic up and used the wall as a push off point, shooting into the air with surprisingly... boring, grace. He spun over the car, almost making it over it without incident, but the tip of his shoe comes down on the rear bumper and the momentum of the car drags him a bit, causing him to face plant into the alley dirt. "ow."

Loki

The practice dummy's head suddenly opened it's eyes, revealing a strange combination of colors that made no sense in it's irises. "Look Freya no body!" He shouted with a laugh as he pulled the rest of himself out of thin air and spun around, head wrong way up. "Where's Natty Nat Nat?" He asked curiously. "I woulda thought she'd come along with her new boyfriend~"

Natty Nat Nat's new boyfriend

Liam shuffled into a local bar, grumbling about psycho's who could fly the whole way. A bit of frost still stuck to his shirt and slowly melting. He hadn't been to terribly affected by the cold, being the grandson of frost giants helped immensely with that. But he still wanted a few beers in him before he faces the rest of what he was sure would be a continually worsening night. and ahead of schedule he saw Natalie at the bar. Great... now she was going to think he was following her around of course he considered with a grimace. He could leave and go to another bar, but even though he was sure this would go down as a sitcom miscommunication bit, without the sitcom reveal, he strode for the bar. sitting next to Natalie and her new friends, motioning for a beer as he flicked a bit of the frost off his shirt.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 pm 

-Sarcastic-

She rubbed her side after they landed, watching as the little pink blob thing landed neatly on her head again after the ride. Fortunately, she hadn't been seriously hurt, thanks to that Wolf guy's assistance. She shook her head and looked up at him, trying to sound less impressed than she was. "I'd say thank you, but I get the suspicion that it'd only make you more smug." She stood up.

There was a sort of poise Sarcastic had spent months of her life practicing, in little chunks of time. Hands at her hips, back up straight, stiff and businesslike tone, and a facade of disinterest on her face. "Well? Come on. We'll head over to a coffee shop somewhere and you can go over your little proposal with me there." She tried her best not to sound interested, despite herself. Whoever this person was, he wasn't a pushover and was clearly less shaken by the recent event than she had been.

Not that she'd ever let him realize that!

"Come on then. I don't have all day."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Natalie-

The new Liam at the bar was greeted by a grunt and a nod of recognition. Natalie wasn't a native speaker of the tongue of Male, but she had learned it pretty well, and was especially proficient when only half sober.

The little green blob Erik had been placed in a bowl of near-ale, which retained the taste of actual ale yet lacked the inebriating qualities. The hammer he'd produced no one had been foolish enough to try and remove from him.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 am 

Sarah watched the newcomer with interest. After a while, she realized that she was staring and pulled a bag of unshelled hazelnuts out of her pocket, offering a few to Erik. She took a sip of her drink, and cracked one with her teeth, crunching it.
Things were getting kind of boring.

She turned to Liam. "Got any good stories? Just heard a good one (or not good, you know what I mean) right here. It's your turn."

Slowly but surely, she's getting inebriated.

------

Post subject: The Return of Characters No one Remembers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:51 pm 

-Natalie-

She looked over at Liam after a few moments. "Long day in Valhalla?" She nodded. "Buncha jerks up there with too much time on their hands. 'Cept Svafa. She's decent. If a bit spacey."

She grumbled. "Not that she's bad that tha job... Valhalla'd have less'n half of the Einherjar it has now if it weren't for her." She mulled over her drink. "An' she got a nice gift fer me at my wedding, too... on'a the only ones who did." She sighed. "That was long ago."

-The return of the...-

"Ninjutsu Battle Clowns! Ho!"

A squadron of floppy shoes and squeaking noses assembled before Whistles, the commanding Jounin. He turned to face them. "Prepare for the mission. We must inject hilarity into... a PUB CRAWL!"

He snapped the neck of a rubber chicken for emphasis, as the noisily stealthy figures began to descend upon the bar that Natalie, Sarah, and Liam were in...

-Back to Natalie-

"Ah can't believe I almost got mar-"

HONK

She blinked and paused. "Did anyone elshe hear... honkin'?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:49 am 

Kid Atomic finishes off the last of his pie, as Jo yells at Shing and slams the door. "Well, this was relaxing, but I have to motor. Axel, swing by tomorrow, and I'll have some work for you." He peels off some bills from the roll in his wallet, and passes them to Axel. "For today." The Kid nods to Damien, settles up with Dolores, and saunters out.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:05 pm 

Axel watches Kid Atomic leave, putting the money in a pocket.
"He's such a nice guy!" Damien nods a bit.

------

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:31 pm 

Zia gets up from her desk, and stretches. "Mavis, we caught up for now?"
The Library AI sighs. "As much as we ever are. Unless you want to get to those scrolls from the lost city of Opar?"
Zia shakes her head. "Nah. Let's save that for tomorrow. We already had the school glee club to deal with, and the tourist stuff from R'lyeah."
All in a day's work. Still, she'll be glad to see Farnsworth's return.

Zia wends her way out along the halls, stairs, and tunnels, mostly unrecognized. And the day she's just had, right now she's glad she can pass for just another student. Long black hair, what looks like black lipstick glimmering against a pale complexion. She wears a tattered leather and lace choker, and fingerless gloves. Tall, and angular, and at first glance her build seems slightly...off. Nothing one can quite lay a finger upon, however.
And looking much younger than someone who has every degree offered. Well, almost. She deliberately stopped a course shy of each one. Why? No one knows.
"Sweet freedom!" Zia grins, and waves her arms overhead, causing an old man to snort and grumble about 'punk kids these days'.
Whistling cheerfully, she wonders what to do. Head out for coffee? Or maybe a pub, instead? Hmm....
Eh, whichever one she passes first, unless there's some excitement along the way. This is Xyon, after all. She tosses a silver coin into the air, catching it deftly against her wrist.
"Tails. Left it is, then."

C Valente

Post subject: Return of the Ninjutsu Battle Clowns!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:54 am 

-Natalie, Liam, and Sarah-

Honk. Honk. Honk.

Natalie frowned. "Seriously. I keep hearin' honking!" she looked up. "Is there something up in the air ducts? What's that honking noise? Does anyone else hear that?"

Ominious honking!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Meanwhile, at Joe's Diner-

A large supply of pies, made for a local pie eating contest, had mysteriously vanished, as had several containers of whipped cream and a number of cartons of ice cream.

The only signs of possible evidence was a rubber chicken with a pulley through the legs, left at the scene of the crime, and some muddy footprints leaving through an exit. But surely NO ONE would have shoes that large...

This event was most likely related to absolutely nothing else in particular!

-Back at the Bar-

"For dangerous hilarity!"

As the people in the bar wondered what that honking noise was all about, unbenownst to all of them, a gloved hand was, from the air ducts, aiming a large, flaky projectile right at Sarah. Dolloped with whipped cream, with scoops of ice cream on the side, and a cherry on top, it was perhaps the most delicious throwing pie that anyone had conceived. Battle Clowning at it's peak.

And it. Was. Ticking.

A cherry pie was flung, arcing through the air, straight at the back of the unsuspecting Sarah's head...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:27 pm 

Sarah's head suddenly jerked forward, due to good ol' physics, into her drink, causing her to spill it.

"What th-?"

Then the pie exploded.

Sarah, covered in cream, brought her hand up to her mouth and licked it distractedly. Usually, she was of the easygoing, "live and let live" type. Not at the moment. She turned to Natalie.

"You see who did that, so I can kick 'em?"

------

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:00 pm 

-In Xyon City's bar-

Natalie turned and looked up. "'s looked like it came from the ceilin'-"

Splat!

Coconut Cream impacted her face. She blinked as the pie slid off her and fell to the floor. "Tha's it. Someone dies."

From above, a pecan pie dropped on Erik, landing directly on him and engulfing him in it's nutty-ness.

An apple pie went whizzing over Lian's head as suddenly, the room was filling up with flying pasteries...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:46 pm 

Meanwhile, in Xyon-
Posters are hung. In the coffeeshops, mads crowd around to read it, while sipping their lattes. Zia grins as she posts it at The Library. Anywhere people hang out, you'll find a copy. There's a radio spot. Even an ad in the X-yon X-aminer.
"The Great Xyon Race! The lap goes over, under, through, and surrounding Xyon. But you need more than speed! There are obstacles to overcome, and checkpoints. Sponsored by Atomic Motors. Stop in and register!
Grand Prize is a one of a kind power source!"

Desdemona takes a sip of her coffee. "Eddie, you sure about this prize? That's a big thing to give away."
Kid Atomic grins. "Baby, I'm not out anything-I found that funky crystal. It's nifty, but let's face it-it's nothing I need for the business. Besides, all the publicity this is going to pull in for the expanded Atomic Motors will be more than worth it."
"And you cleared it with M, right?" She smiles back at him.
"Need you ask? I just have to agree to avoid populated areas. Besides, Mayor Dean was all for it. It's copacetic, baby." Kid Atomic pulls out a map.
"See, we go through the junkyard, through the underground tunnels, Crystal Lake, up the mountain, the abandoned warehouse district, and more."
"You sure that'll be challenging enough?" Desdemona knows what mads are like.
"Heh. Did you not see the line about obstacles? And yeah, I know. They'll all try to cheat."
Kid Atomic loops am arm around her waist. "But I have some ideas..

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:46 pm 

It was, as it inevitably is, the morning after.
Sarah woke up, the inside of her mouth feeling like it had been painted with fuzz. Tasted like cheese.
Just as she was trying to jumpstart the engine of rational thought, a bucket of cold water was sloshed over her, soaking into the sheets.
"!" She glared, or at least squinted annoyedly at a Damien, who seemed to be enjoying this too much.
He tossed his head towards the door. "Get up. Black coffee's on the kitchen bench."
Then he left, leaving the now empty bucket behind him.
She groaned and sat up, trying to blink away the headache, wondering if it was possible to hug and kill someone at the same time.

After a while she was sitting at the table drinking coffee with her eyes shut, running through her memories of last night, occasionally softly laughing or wincing.
Damien had wisely vacated the premises. Axel is not wise. He bursts in waving a flyer and shouting in the manner of an eight year old on Christmas morning.

"Hey! Sarahsarahsarah! Guess what! Guess what!"
Sarah groans and allows her head to slump onto the table. "What."
"Look! Look!" He shoves the flyer in front of her nose, but she shoves it away.
"The nice rocket man is having a race! And I'm gonna win!"
She points to her face. "Do I look like I care?" He ignores her and keeps prattling.
"Come on, l need a car! Let's go! Let's go!" He starts tugging at her arm.

At least Sarah manages to finish her coffee before she's swept out the door. You can't say that for most.

------

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 pm 

Liam

Liam groaned and opened an eye carefully, wincing at the thread of light that, naturally, fell from his window directly on his eye. He had a hangover, that was rare. With his tolerance he probably had to drink a bar or two dry before that could happen. As he thought back on it he had. After the ninja clowns... Who were somehow able to sneak around in squeaky shoes. Either that or he had been smashed at the time. Then... they celebrated by drinking some more... he had gotten bad enough as to be unable to stand right and Natalie had dragged him home... and then...

There was a gentle snoring right next to Liam.

Dammit. This was the sitcom nonsense he had been wanting to avoid the night before. Now came the hours or days wondering if they'd... done paired aerobics. All the while he'd likely be viewed as a horrible person who took advantage of drunk women, because that was the rule.

And there was Natalie sleeping next to him, half in the bed, half out, still fully dressed. Thank goodness for small mercies. Last thing he wanted was to have this situation any more awkward. She was... stereotypically, and the only cliche he liked in this situation, very cute asleep. Oh she was plenty good looking awake, even that scowl was attractive in it's own fashion, but relaxed she looked even better, even if she was drooling just a bit on his sheets.

Well, no use putting off the wacky hijinks which were bound to ensue any longer, besides getting caught staring at her asleep would just make things worse. So he reached out and shook her shoulder very gently, ignoring his own headache.

And, in a blur of motion, found himself laying on his back at the other end of the room. Natalie had been woken up by Loki enough times to his versions of jokes that she had a tried and true reaction to being shaken awake by anyone other than Sarcastic. Chuck 'em. Usually it would have been out a window or door, but this wasn't her dorm room so Liam's trajectory involved a lot more wall. So he lay on the floor, head throbbing considering not moving for the rest of the day. "Right. No more beer for me. ever." He muttered.

DR.KINESTRO!(TM)

Kinestro looked over the poster for a moment, thought for a moment longer then promptly stole her teleporter from Isaac's pocket. An instant later the two were in Kinestro's laboratory and Kinestro was digging through her spare parts grinning manically. "C'mon Isaac! I want to win that race!" She bubbled excitedly as she chucked parts into piles of usefulness, never realizing she'd referred to herself without the usual pompousness, or that she'd brought Isaac along to her lair of all places. She was having too much fun building something. Something tugged at her thoughts for a second, something to do with this being her first invention, which was obviously nonsense and was soon dismissed from her thoughts. "A Kinetic car! I'll use the rotation of the Earth to power it's potential energy core and then kinetics can push it off the ground and forwards! Shielding of course, and maybe something to convert competitor's kinetic energy into potential?" She stood on a pile of parts tapping her chin with a wrench as she thought.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:49 pm 

The news spreads like wildfire. Mads flock from all over Xyon. Even those that don't want the prize-after all, it's a chance to show one's prowess! Defeat rivals! Be interviewed by Dixie Deville!
Besides, this event is tailor made for easily bored mads.
The starting line is, of course, at Atomic Motors.
Kid Atomic grins. He's already seeing an upsurge in business.
He mentally goes the route, a tad wistful. This is just the kind of event he loves! Well, there's that cross country race next year to look forward to...
Folks have been coming by all day to register. He's had to erect a large, tamper proof sign with the rules already.

1.Follow the designated route. Anti-teleport shields will be in effect.
2.Overcome the obstacles. Don't miss any checkpoints. No blatantly trying to take out your competitors.
3.Make it back first.
4.We don't care if you just got your license-must be legally an adult to compete.
5.The Grand Prize is in a time lock safe at M for safe keeping.

If he thinks of more, he'll add them. They'll go over them at the starting line, anyway.

(Okay, I'll give folks a day or two to decide if they want in on the hijinks, and make preliminary posts. Want to start thursday, or do you want more time? I'll be flexible. After all, I'm winging this. Post in chat or pm me)

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:02 am 

Axel is feverishly putting parts together. He's not sure if he'll be able to finish construction before registrations close!
"3/8ths Gripley."
"You know there's no way I know what that is." Sarah's sitting crosslegged, arms folded, on a relatively comfortable pile of junk. She's got singed clothing and several minor burns - apparently Mad security systems aren't fooled by her little ability.
"I wasn't talking to you."
Buggy beeps, and scuttles from it's customary place on Axel's shoulder to rummage in a nearby toolbox, antennae twitching.
Axel himself is sporting a pretty collection of cuts, bruises, burns and scrapes. He appears not to notice them; why bother with a little thing like pain, or food or drink when there's SCIENCE to be done?
Buggy finishes searching and holds up a shaped piece of metal in it's two front legs with a triumphant "beep!"
Sarah looks at it curiously, as Axel takes the Gripley and screws it onto something else.
"It can find a certain piece of metal from ones that look almost exactly identical?"
"Good recognition software. I'm working, here."
Sarah snorts. "Well, I'll be off then, you've got all the parts you wanted. Damien is not going to be happy when he finds out you used his credit card, by the way."
Axel winces. "I'll think about that when I think about it."
Sarah smirks this time. "Goood luck with that." She leaves.
Axel waits 'till after she's gone, surreptitiously looks around, then turns to Buggy and whispers, "Did you get it?"
Buggy silently but smugly holds up a length of fuel line? Wire? Whatever it is, it looks important. Axel starts giggling evilly. Sabotage is a wonderful thing...

------

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:15 pm 

There's a crowd gathered at Atomic Motors, oohing and aahing over the cars lined up to race.
A sleek Pontiac GTO, the prototype muscle car roars into place. The driver is a tall, burly man, red hair pulled back in a braid.The bearded man adjusts his shades, and give the dashboard an affectionate pat. Neither car nor driver looks mad-perhaps there's a surprise under the hood? Any car affectionados nearby ooh over the classic. After all, how often do you see a Goat?
At the other end of the spectrum, a strange contraption all in dull silver revs impatiently. It's driver is clad in the traditional white coat and goggles, and grinning maniacally. It's Dr.Nefarious, and the Amazing DuctapeMobile!
Kid Atomic swaggers out, wearing a cocky grin for the crowd.
"All right, you know the rules by now. Each vehicle has an identifying race ticket from Atomic Motors on the dash."
The Kid stifles a sigh. He'd wanted it in the form of fuzzy dice, but was overruled. 'too much of a distraction for the driver'. Like that matters in this kind of race?
"It can't be removed or tampered with, except by me, so don't waste valuable driving time trying. Every time you successfully get past an obstacle, it changes color to reflect makin' it past the checkpoint. Each of you cats have a copy of the route. From here to the junkyard, then take the ramp to the underground tunnels, which leads you to Crystal Lake, emerging from the lake the track goes up the mountain, then back down again in a loop that leads you back here. Obstacles are triggered as soon as the lead driver reaches them. The drivers behind them will find that the obstacle...adapts." The Kid's grin has a touch of evil to it.
"So no, you can't count on the first one through taking it out. And it doesn't matter if you go single file or all in a bunch. Oh, and don't relax once you make it through. Not everything you run into will be from me-this is Xyon City, folks. Full of unnatural and surprising hazards. But if you need me to tell you that, you've already lost."
A checkered flag is raised.
"ON YOUR MARKS-GET SET-GOOOOOO!!!!!!"
The flag drops, and the cars roar, buzz, hiss, and zoom by.

The Xyon junkyard. Mads have been raiding it for parts for years. Mads have also been tossing broken creations there in disgust for years. There's a narrow race track running through it, not quite wide enough for two cars.
The lead car suddenly finds a large hoop appearing, encompassing the track. It'll have to be driven through. Simple enough. But then the flames appear...

(okay, write what you will reguarding your drive. I'll start each obstacle, and add to it if necessary. If you want to write your own obstacle, feel free. Or I will. I'll be lobbing other things at you, too. You can describe any of the course and scenery, if you like. Plenty for all of us! Feel free to write in rampaging trash monsters, or a irate mad on a hill with a laser, you get the idea. This is just something silly for us to do, and not planned out at all. Sound all right?)

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:08 pm 

Axel's car looks exactly like what it is: something quickly put together. There's what looks like a jet engine mounted to the top. It's been hurriedly painted black, except for red flames on the sides for extra speed.
Having spent nearly the last 24 hours roving all over the junkyard, he's in a position to know where most of the non-competition obstacles are, like the giant claw thing.

He sees the flaming hoop and grins. He feels sorry for anyone with carbon fibre. Wait, no he doesn't! Ha ha! He nudges the car in front of him, juuuust a bit. It's almost unnoticeable, but for a few milliseconds one side of the car has more thrust than the other. It starts to turn, and the driver compensates, at which point Axel backs off and the vehicle goes the other way - off the track into a pile of parts, that scatter onto the track and into other drivers. A cog bounces off the left window, leaving a starburst crack.

As the lead driver zooms through the hoop, it quivers, changing size, shape and position. It's now a lot smaller, barely enough space to go through, to the left... and ten feet in the air.

Axel accelerates, trying to dodge past other drivers, occasional "pings" and "poinks" telling him he's driven over a sharp piece of metal. He hopes the reinforced tyres don't puncture... that would be bad. As he reaches the hoop, he slams a hand down on the big red button on the dashboard, and the car leaps through it.

Everything goes into slowmo. He watches the dashboard sticker thing beep and flash green. Then everything speeds up again.

He lands on the other side, rear wheels skidding a bit before he manages to bring them under control. He idly muses that that would of been a lot more awesome if there was an explosion behind him and he'd found a way to make the car spin as it jumped. Oh, well, maybe next time. In the rear view mirror he can see the hoop change size, shape, height and position again. On to the next obstacle!

------

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:03 pm 

Back at the junkyard, the aforementioned claw thing is creeping up to the track, preparing to pounce...
Dr. Nefarious makes it to the loops, and his car somehow crawls up thin air, as the wheels rotate to the sticky side, clinging to the very air molocules themselves! The Amazing DuctapeMobile is unscathed by the flames. But even as he's laughing, the spikes appear...

Axel vrooms down the ramp, and finds himself hurtling through Xyon's underground. The tunnels are lit by flickering lightbulbs, by incandenscent moss and glowing slime, and in many places by nothing at all. The Grues find it restful.
So many mads have secret exits from their lairs, the tunnels have spread far and wide. Xyonites come down here on a dare, on nefarious business, and if they're really late to class and need a shortcut. The width of the track varies, but it's always wide enough for at least two cars.
Things live here. Things that beep, things that chitter. Some go into hiding as the first car zooms through. Some rub various appendages together with glee, their stomachs growling. Others with pilfered connections to the city power supply get comfortable, and watch the race on tv.

Most of the cars are still in the junkyard. Whether passing through, or as new residents to the scrap heap. The claw thing has brought friends. And what looks like a haphazard tower of metal scraps is shooting at anything that gets too near. The track has given it a wide berth, but it has terrible aim.

And back in the tunnel, something that resembles a steel spider's web is being hurriedly constructed in the track the race cars must follow....

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:52 pm 

Axel flicks on the arc headlights, and just manages to swerve in time to avoid... something. It looks a bit like a root system that's pierced the roof of the tunnel, but the "branches" move to grab his car as he passes. A touch of the nos, and the flames produced take care of that. The car behind him now has to deal with the same problem, except now on fire and a lot angrier.

Buggy beeps, scuttling from Axel's shoulder to the dashboard screen, which in addition to the infrared picture of the tunnel ahead and behind, is also displaying a message. "Damage - superficial". But you never know when even superficial damage will come back to bite you. Axel nods.

Buggy crawls over to a small tube and gets in. The door shuts and another one opens to the roof of the car. It braces against the slipstream, making it's way over to the left window, and starts to repair the crack.

Suddenly, the car judders. Buggy doesn't fall off, but does slide a little. Axel quickly checks the monitor... what was that? There's the sound of hissing, and suddenly a large head on a long neck slams into the side of the car from a side tunnel, crushing it against the wall, before retreating, all in the space of a second.

The car slams down to the ground and damage readout turns orange. "Damage - moderate." Several people take the opportunity to pass. A few give little "sucks to be you, dude" gestures as they do so. Axel shakes the ringing from his ears and gulps. The side of the car's crumpled in. He manages to get it moving, but it's probably best not to push the speed with the way metal's rubbing against the wheels like that. He presses a button, and the car starts to glow a dull red. A grabby thing comes out of a different tunnel tries to curl around the car, only to find it's become red hot. As the colour brightens to scarlet, the wrinkles and dents of the metal start to straighten out back to their original shape. It's not perfect, and it won't seal cracks, so he'll have to get Buggy to...

Buggy!

The start of what would have no doubt been an epic panic is suddenly quelled when a glowing scuttling thing moves on the windscreen and beeps at him.

------

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:59 pm 

-Sarcastic-

...was actually having a pretty good time grabbing coffee with Wolf, whom she'd dragged into the coffee shop with her. The two of them were making small talk and dancing around whatever the bigger issue Wolf was going to propose to her was, which made Sarcastic a bit nervous. He seemed reluctant to be direct about whatever it was, and that concerned her.

The way her day was going, she suddenly started missing her crossbow. Even as ridiculous as it was in concept.

-Natalie-

She yawned, sitting up and stretching as she started waking up. Slowly, she opened her eyes.

That little green Erik creature was hugging her wrist and pointing at the wall. She looked over and saw Liam pressed against it. It didn't take much to figure out what had happened... Erik was pretty over protective of her, and the little guy probably thought Liam had been trying to monopolize her and threw him into a wall. The little guy was pretty strong, even by human standards.

She yawned and stood up out of bed. Natalie wore boxers to bed, most of the time, because she found them more comfortable than the alternatives. She rubbed her head and trudged past Liam. "Sorry 'bout Erik. Need a shower. Then we gotta talk." She grabbed a towel and a handful of basic toiletries (Natalie, pre-morning coffee, wasn't very discriminate) and trudged out the door to the public showers on her Dorm's floor.

She sighed. If she was going to keep hanging around Liam she was going to have to tell him some things. And that would get complicated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-The Race!-

honk!

HONK!

honk!

A tiny, brightly colored car, strongly resembling a painted easter egg, drove through the junkyard's burning ring of fire, which the driver had sufficient experience of navagating, as it proceeded towards it's targets. It was at the back of the pack but gaining quickly, which was odd given its size and lack of modifications.

FOR HILARITY!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:52 pm 

The race track winds through Xyon's tunnels. Eventually, it will lead to Crystal Lake. To, as in 'through'. Well, every one entering the race knew that they needed to make underwater modifications to their cars....
But back underground, a rhythmic crashing sound is heard. The noise grows louder as one approaches the end of the tunnels. An unholy cross of stalactites and stalagmites, a portcullis, and metal teeth will then become visible. Spikes crashing up to the roof, and down to the ground. Then a space, then another set. Crashing and smashing and gnashing.
Drivers won't need speed for this, they'll need perfect split second timing. And perhaps good armaments. And, hmm...is the spiky doom glistening?

In the tunnels, something screeches and attempts to ram Thor's GTO. He leans the upper half of his body out of the window, and is suddenly hefting a hammer.
WHAM!! WHAM!!
If the tunnels weren't echoing so loudly with roaring motors, a disgusting 'squelch' would be heard.
Laughing, he pulls himself back in and resumes driving. But funny, the way the car swerved perfectly to avoid obstacles while he was whaling on the monster. You'd swear it was alive or something!

Something odd is happening back at the junkyard. A rogue collection of parts has assembled itself into something resembling a car. And it appears to have joined the race.
A glowing tickett affixes itself to its dashboard.
Bookies rush to update the odds.

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:19 pm 

Axel growls. He's lost seven places! At least he can stop the people behind from passing... he presses a dashboard button, and a huge stainless steel bolas is fired out the back of the car, neatly entangling the persuer. The car behind that one has been following too close to dodge and rams into the back of it. Axel admires the flames in the rear view mirror. See, why couldn't he have used that earlier?

Back to the task at hand, he sees the spikes ahead and grins, motioning for Buggy to get back inside. He'd wind up the windows in a cool way, but he already did that before the flaming hoop. Shame.

Briefly he contemplates activating the imminent collision warning system. Nah, that would be cheating. He does, however, engage intuitive controls, flight mode and the wraparound vision thing (although he hasn't had a chance to practice with it).

Swept back wings come out of the side, and lasers on the underside flare, heating the air and levitating the car (and incidentally charring anything underneath, but that's detail.) The spoiler shifts into a tail fin. Inside, the steering wheel clanks, but otherwise doesn't appear to change. The sunglasses on the dashboard flicker, and Axel puts them on.

He does a few experimental loops, and turns off the wraparound vision, slightly nauseated. Peripheral vision is just gonna have to do the job.

Time to rack up the adrenalin. This is gonna be FUN!

------

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:49 am 
Heh heh heh.

As the primary line of cars flew through the tunnels and the hoop, one late-comer to the race was quickly catching up with the pack.
The new driver was behind the wheel of a classic 1958 Packard Hawk, if the car had been somehow streamlined, stylized until the overall effect was of a perfect sketch of the car, frozen on glossy paper.

The driver of the car, her coffee-colored skin set off nicely by a teal labcoat-minidress, grinned as she toggled the shifter with one gloved hand, steered with the other, and kept her foot on the accelerator. "Wooooo!" she said, as her car sailed right through the hoop, flames washing harmlessly over the outer shell. With care, the woman dodged the scraps thrown at her by the tower of metal— except for one single, huge scrap-shard, which embedded itself in the car's roof.
The driver smiled, deliberately moving towards the giant claw.

Right before the thing was about to snatch her up, the woman twisted something on the car's dashboard, steering to the right. The car rose up at an angle, as if it were making a bobsled-esque turn against the outer wall of the track— but the car was nowhere near the outside of the track, instead turning on an expanse of wall that seemed to be faintly visible in the air, carved from it for just this moment.

The claw misjudged its aim, and neatly plucked the piece of metal from the car's roof, as the car (its roof miraculously undamaged) zoomed on. It was nearing the tunnels now, and catching up on the main group all the time.

Dr. Momma Bosco smiled, light playing neatly off her afro.
This race was going to be mojotastic!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm 

-The Clown Car-

In the junkyard, the car swerved to avoid a giant cybernetic stuffed moose statue that was trying to ram it with lighting horns. A white-masked man leaned out of the window and retaliated with some seltzer water to it's exposed wiring, causing it to short-circuit. The classic battle-clowning continued as hostile targets were met with distracting balloon animals by the hundreds.

Never underestimate the sheer power of hundreds of clowns in a cramped space working together. It has been the downfall of a number of people before.

The clown car entered the tunnels, pulling up behind Axel, as a pair of unruly clowns climbed out onto the top of the car and fired grappling claws at Axel's vehicle, grabbing onto the rear view mirrors and attempting to pull themselves onto his car...

-Xin Yun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next