Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Is that even a word?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:36 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

There are several thuds and fingernail sounds as a volley of grappleing hooks are fired at Axel's car, eventually managing to find purchase on the wing mirrors, the only external features that aren't superheated right now, apart from the tyres and windows. Axel mentally headslaps himself, and winds down the window to yell at the clowns.

"Hey! You're ruining the -"

That's when he gets hit in the face with a pie. His driving becomes erratic. Erraticer. Buggy quickly jumps on the button to roll up the window, just in time, as another pie plasters itself across it moments later. Several more follow it.

Axel shakes his head like a wet dog, and scrapes cream out of his right eye singlehandedly. The inside of the car is now covered in bits of pie. It's a good thing this isn't a rental. Things have gone from fun to not fun. Time to stop the not fun so he can get back to the fun.

Axel and physics don't usually get along, but today they have put aside their differences to deal with a common enemy. Abandoning his current trajectory, Axel does a complex maneuver that can't really be described except in terms of degrees of pitch, roll and yaw. In essence, however, it is a rapid U-turn designed to slam the attached car into a nearby stalactite, a turning to the vertical to allow the propulsive lasers to fry said car (and anything else in that direction, really) while pushing him further down the tunnel and a disorienting flip, both all in one and not in that order.

Axel hands Buggy a small serrated carbide grit razor. He doesn't want the weight slowing him down.

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Xyon City...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:55 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-The Clown Car-

Ordinary people would have been destroyed by the ensuing car crash. But clowns had special training in misfortune. From the clown car streamed hundreds of tumbling clowns, all of them with tools in hand. A frenzied pit crew began engaging in hilarious hijinks as they worked to repair their vehicle, using parts from the nearby junkyard. The frenzied tinkering and retooling finished as a torrent of clowns fit back into the newly remodeled Evil Scientisty Clown Car... which got closer and closer to Axel's car, until...

The hood of the clown car popped off, revealing a giant catapult, shaped like a glove. And resting on it...

The largest gunpowder pie anyone had ever crafted. With a comically oversized cherry on it. Being flung right at Axel's car, splatting against it. And exploding.

Somehow the car stayed in one piece... but it was sent flying skyward, somehow. Being blown immensely off course, on the otherside of the junkyard.

As dangerous things drew near Axel's car, the clown car proceeded into the tunnel...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject: Have you forgotten these dweebs?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:33 am 

-Guess Who-

"Why are we headed to Xyon City if NOT to deal with it, then?"

Two figures got off a plane at an airport near Xyon City's downtown, walking briskly while heads turned around them, staring wide-eyed.

It was at least in part due to the shorter one. About four foot nine, with large, pupil-less green eyes and olive-green skin, antennae growing out of his forehead, the creature known as Flux was an uncommon sight, even for Xyon City. Flux was an alien-human hybrid, literally created by his alien race to watch over and protect humanity from threats beyond Earth's Atmosphere. He also had no gender unless he consciously decided to alter his shape to have one. With a somewhat impossible biology and weird powers of teleportation, he had identified himself as a superhero early on in his life and had been described by "Superhuman Selebrities" as a sort of cross between Nightcrawler and Dr. Who. At the immediate moment he had an eyepatch strapped over one eye, which was unusual since he also tended to regenerate most lost organs. His skin tight, bright blue outfit wasn't quite designed with modesty in mind, which he really had little care for since he typically stayed genderless most of the time.

The other figure was much taller. Six feet tall with short, blonde hair he had taken to keeping slicked down towards the back of his neck. His outfit, a long robe with the sleeves cut off at the shoulders, was a faded red in color. Everything with color ended up bone white around him after long enough. With gold eyes and a stiffness in his steps, he walked slightly ahead of Flux. Radiant, a superhero known for an unnecessary roughness in his methods of stopping crime, looked forward. "We are not here to get vengence on Malachi. It's debatable that he even did anything wrong, in the first place."

Flux scowled. "The First Gentleman, Braxton Livingstone, is dead because of him, Radiant. Not only murder, but of that of our commander. We can't exactly let that slide."

Radiant frowned. "Look. I hate the devil as much as anyone ought to, but no court on earth would call what he did murder. Legally this is a tricky situation. And as I have pointed out before, he was being manipulated as much as I and the others were. You and Braxton were the only two people immune to Robin Toboz's insanity-inducing Red Sign Items, remember."

Flux folded his arms. "Except that Malachi wasn't WEARING one. He was working for Robin."

Radiant nodded. "And he was doing so under extreme duress. She had a control over him that he couldn't shake alone." Radiant sighed. "I'd love to kill Malachi, Flux. You know I have a strong personal dislike for him. But things are bad enough as it is for the Ten Gentlemen without adding petty revenge to our plate. After that incident with the world nearly ending on our watch the United Nations is debating dismantling the Ten Gentlemen altogether, what with the trouble we caused." He sighed. "And our numbers have shrunk from Ten to five, and only three of us active."

Flux looked at him. "But-"

Radiant turned around, narrowing his eyes. "Flux. Remember that, even if it is only due to the fact that no one else wants the job, I AM currently in command of what is left of the Ten Gentlemen." He glared. "Also, I'm a bit stressed right now and you're acting uncharacteristically vengeful. We are NOT here in Xyon City to "settle the score" with Malachi, beyond delivering a slip announcing his expulsion from our Superhero Organization. Which I will be doing alone. Meanwhile, you will be spreading the word of our real reason to be here in Xyon City, understand? We need to get the public word out."

Flux folded his arms and fumed, looking a bit like an angry toddler.

Radiant sighed. "Flux... since as long as I've known you, I've known you to be the voice of reason. The constant, snarky, aggrivating angel on my shoulder telling me not to go over an edge or do something I'll regret. This? This right here? This sort of behavior, in YOU, is wrong." He sighed, looking unexpectedly... tired. "I know, Flux. Braxton Livingstone wasn't just our commander. He was a good friend to all of us. I want to see justice passed as much as you. But... I have to be the bad guy here, Flux. The Ten Gentlemen enjoy special legal privileges from the nations of the UN because we keep the peace and get things done. And now all of a sudden they're seeing how we didn't exactly make the previous crisis any easier on anyone. In fact, we were duped into making it WORSE by Robin Toboz. These may be our last days if the UN decides to dismantle our group entirely. And... Braxton's dead, Flux. Malachi's out of the group. And don't forget we've got enough NON-political problems on our own. Bahamut's STILL crazed after that Red Sign item and we've got to find a way to flush him out of caves in England and break that object before its' effects become permanent, IF it isn't already too late... Tsubaki and Dr. Corbin Gallant, our resident good Mad Scientist, have both showed signs of erratic behavior since the Red Sign Items they wore were destroyed. As someone with a lot of experience in erratic behavior and questionable sanity, I've had them both sidelined for counseling until a psychologist gives them a clean enough bill of health. And I'm terrified they wore them too long and the effects became permanent. I don't know where Medic and Marcus are, and I'm scared that they're still wearing those THINGS and don't want to be found. I need help, Flux. I really need a friend right now."

For just a moment, Flux's remaining eye went wide in surprise. Radiant, RADIANT of all people, looked as terrified as a small toddler who'd lost his parents.

Radiant looked away. "I know it's awfully selfish of me. There's just you, myself, and Biome left on active duty. There's still the remainder of those Red Sign Items to track down and destroy, and they're still every so often causing chaos in pockets of the world. Not to mention weather disasters and the usual supervilliany. I'm in command of the three of us that are left, and I don't even know where to begin. Or even IF it'll matter when the UN's axe falls."

Flux was quiet. "...yeah, alright." He put a hand on Radiant's shoulder. "What do you need me to do?"

Radiant smiled, weakly. "Recruitment. Get the word out on the Streets of Xyon to any do-gooder here, if there any. The Ten Gentlemen are hiring, and hosting auditions these next two weeks. See if we still have any public reputation we can bank on." He smiled. "But be selective... remember, as unfair as it is to new recruits, we need someone stronger than we are." he was quiet. "Because if I can't find the help we need, we'll need all the help we can get trying to bring Bahamut back to his senses.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:33 pm 

At the race-

The ticket currently plastered to the dashboard of a certain easter egg shaped car begins to glow. Words are somehow projected in front of anything with eyes or sight receptors.

Quote:
1.Follow the designated route. Anti-teleport shields will be in effect.
2.Overcome the obstacles. Don't miss any checkpoints. No blatantly trying to take out your competitors.
3.Make it back first.
4.We don't care if you just got your license-must be legally an adult to compete.
5.The Grand Prize is in a time lock safe at M for safe keeping.

A computerized voice is heard, dispassionately reciting the race rules every contestant agreed to.
It continues. "The use of a giant gunpowder pie violates rule #2. Note the keyword 'blatant'.This race is a test of mechanical ability and driving skill, not a combat course. Prepare for ejection."
The race ticket glows too brightly for the naked eye to look directly at, then vanishes.
As does the clown car.
A startled 'bleat?' is heard by the occupants, as a curious mountain goat bounds past. The clown car finds itself precariously balanced on a lonesome mountain peak, surrounded by empty desert as far as the eye can see. A crow flaps over, perching on the hood. The car begins to tilt...

Axel blinks, as the ticket affixed to his own dashboard begins to glow. Axel, Buggy, and car find themselves suddenly in exactly the same position they were before the impact of the gunpowder pie. No better off, no worse. The ticket ceases to glow, and cars resumes speeding past Axel.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:30 pm 

Axel tries to peel off the dashboard sticker, but it is firmly attached and his fingernails can't get a purchase on it. He's distracted from this activity by a rapidly looming stalagmite, which he manages to narrowly avoid.
Part of him is annoyed that someone other than him can influence his car, nevermind that it worked in his favour. A second part is itching to find out how a teleporter can fit in that thing, and if it can be repurposed. It's a good thing the traps and obstacles are keeping him busy. Axel's not really one for suppressing urges.
LEFT!LEFT!LOOP!TURN!DODGEDODGEDODGE! (maaaaaybe sneakily occupy a competitor's only escape route from imminent collision) DOAFLIPFORNOOTHERREASONTHANITLOOKSCOOL! FIREMISSILEATTHATSTALAGMITETHAT'SUNAVOIDABLEDODGETHEDEBRISEEKWHEREDTHOSESPIKESCOMEFROMTHOSEAREMOVINGGETOUTOFTHEWAYWHYDIDN'TYOUPUTAGRAPPLINGHOOKONTHISTHINGWOWTHATROCKSPIKESHUGE,BUTTHATJUSTMAKESITEASIERTO - is that water?

A massive splashy sound effect occurs.

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

Post subject: Police are still searching for the frog-dressed man with bri
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:32 am 

-The New Ten Gents Recruitment Take 1-

Flux regarded the costumed man in front of him placidly. "So your name is..."

"Brrrrrrick Frog!"

Flux raised an eyebrow. "So I see you're dressed up like a frog... and that you... throw bricks?"

"Yup!"

"And... do you have some sort of brick-related superpower? Can you jump really well, like a frog? Or do you have like, a prehensile tongue or some kind of extra ability to swim?"

"Not at all!"

Flux folded his arms. "But you've got some sort of bag of infinite bricks there, right? Extra ammunition?"

"Nope, it's just a Costco bag."

"...with bricks in it."

"Yup!"

"That you throw at villains."

"As long as the police don't catch me, sure!"

"As long as the-" Flux sputtered. "You mean that the police are hunting for you?!?"

"What's a villain, anyway?"

Flux looked around the stand he'd set up. "Uh, is there some kind of panic alarm or auto-911 dialer or something on here?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-The Mysterious Racer G!-

A car approached from behind Axel at enormous speeds, whizzing past him in a sharp turn. As it did, it took advantage of an oil spill from a recent crash and used it to slide smoothly along the turn, dipping in front of Axel, spattering his front windshield with oil as a side-effect and making it really hard to see.

The Mysterious Racer G, with his suspiciously modified car, had entered the race...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:34 am 
Heh heh heh.

Dr. Momma Bosco's car had caught up with the tail end of the racers... as she made her way through the spikes. The normal controls of a car had been replaced with knobs and buttons.
As the spikes and stalacpikes attempted to grind Dr. Momma B into hamburger, she carefully concentrated on the path ahead as her fingers hovered over the knobs.Then, as the car headed on a direct course for one bright stalagmite, she twisted one.
The car dodged to the left, as if it had been pulled by an unseen hand. As the obstacles came in thicker and faster, further twists and button-pushes sent the car zipping left, right, up, down, and even forwards or back, like a hummingbird-powered jetpack. With one final loop-of-the-loop, the obstacles started to thin. Dr. Momma B knew what was coming next: Crystal Lake. And she was ready.

Pulling back on the shifter, Dr. Momma B sent her car into the gear marked "U", for "Underwater". A shield of brightly colored disco-esque lights appeared around the car. That should hold it for a while.

So far, Dr. Momma was catching up, but soon, she would be in line with the main pack of racers.
Then things would get interesting...

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:50 pm 

Some cars have been derailed at the junkyard. Well, as least they have plenty of building materials for repairs... Others are still zipping through the Xyon Underground. Many of them even make past the rogue experiments! The Gnasher accounts for a fair share of them, but amazingly enough there's still cars in the race!
Zooming down the ramp with a SPLASH!
Crystal Lake.
There's no road here. But glowing lights hover in the water. Widely separated balls of red, green, yellow, blue-it's like a strand of christmas lights. A soft glow that doesn't illuminate the surroundings, but leads the way.
There's the usual trash that sadly enough accumulates in any large body of water. Junked cars, old appliances, the occasional small boat. Any car that is running along the lake bottom will have a bumpy time of it, as well as plenty of obstacles to steer around. Zipping through the water is faster. One car is sailing along the surface, like a motor boat. And as long as the car is at least half submerged, and they follow the trail of lights, that's not prohibited.
Flying above the lake, however, is. One vehicle that tries it is snagged by a gigantic tentacle, and dragged under.
Desdemona nudges Kid Atomic. "Eddie, you never did tell me. What's the obstacle for this stage?"
He loops an arm around her shoulders. "Isn't one."
"...what?"
The Kid nods. "Think about it. The mutagen, all the chemicals. The abandoned or escaped experiments. And Petey, the Giant Clockwork Squid? Babe, there was nothing I could add that could top that. If they can get to the other side-while following the path, natch-they've made it past the obstacle."
Desdemona frowns. "So this entire leg of the race is one big obstacle? Seems pretty dangerous."
"That's why those hep cats are racing, Mona. If it wasn't dangerous, it'd be too boring for them. Besides," he gives her shoulders a squeeze, "Nobody's leaving this race wearing a wooden overcoat. That would be decidedly uncool."
Desdemona relaxes a bit. "That's good. Hey, do they know that?"
Kid Atomic grins, a mad glint in his eye. "Heh,heh,heh..."
She grins back despite herself, and settle back to watch Round h2o.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:42 am 

Axel's car is not entirely watertight. Most aren't. As soon as he goes under the surface, water starts seeping in immediately. The cracks from the impact in the tunnel, that Buggy didn't have time to fix, aren't helping either.
Thankfully the lasers still work. Hot water rises much like hot air.

Axel reacts to the water pooling in the footwells like a cat. Noisily, and in a panicked manner. Buggy is much more calm. It proceeds to start welding cracks shut, spraying the ones it can't with quick setting sealing foam.

Axel realises he's drifted off course a bit while he was busy being hysterical, and he turns back towards the lights, carefully avoiding the water with distaste. It's probably ice cold.
Looking back later, he probably shouldn't have turned the headlights on at that point.

------

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:08 am 

-The Mysterious Racer G and the Race of Doom!-

And so the race led onto Crystal Lake, where cars zipped around underwater.

The Mysterious Racer G, in his G-Car, made use of it's incredible gadgets to evade a number of obstacles on the bottom of Crystal Lake. Shock-thrusts deploy, springing his car over rocks placed in it's path and allowing the car to "jump" over obstacles, especially so under the water. Little metal blades cut through underwater plantlife in front of the car.

The G-Car stretches the distance between itself and the other cars, pulling into the lead.

And then, it deployed one of it's strangest modifications to date... releasing three red shells which began to circle around it protectively, like a shield.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Petey the Clockwork Squid-

Petey fussed with it's tentacles, preening. There were odd things in it's lake. Things that it's mutagen didn't seem to turn into tasty, tasty herring if they drew near it. Odd whirring things that zipped through the water at speeds close to even it.

This confused Petey. Annoyed it. It wanted more herring. Not more whirring things.

It decided to investigate in a manner only a giant metal clockwork squid could.

Tentacles protruded from a large grotto near the designated course, snatching up cars and pulling them inside.

Clockwork tentacles flailed after Mama Bosco and Axel, drawing dangerously close...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:21 am 
Heh heh heh.

As Momma Bosco drove through the waters of the lake, clockwork tentacles surged out to meet her, ensnaring her car. But somehow, the Mad with an attitude didn't seem concerned.

"All right!" Momma B said. "I've been wanting to do this ever since I put this thing in here."
With one hand, Momma B grabbed a handle under the dash, and suddenly— suddenly, she was striking a pose, her minidress and go-go boots playing off of the underwater stylings of the discotheque somehow superimposed over the background of the grotto of Crystal Lake. A polyester-attired clockwork squid danced opposite her. With one graceful twist, Peter the Squid twirled Momma Bosco around, moving her across the floor as the lights and the mirror ball flashed on...

...and then, the song ended, Momma Bosco staring at the audience as if to say, "And it's Dr. Momma Bosco to you!" There was applause... which sounded faintly like the engines of cars and the gurgle of water... until the effect gradually fell apart.

Things were back as they were. Dr. Momma Bosco was back in her racecar— on the other side of the race, with the clockwork squid fondly waving goodbye to her. The effect had allowed many racers to move ahead (though some had stopped to gawk), but there was one key factor about Momma B's progress that was different than all the others'.

Dr. Momma Bosco had traversed the lake in style.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:39 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

DR.KINESTRO!(TM)

Before the Race

Ashley finished the last few adjustments to the kinetic car, stepping back to admire her work. She'd never been so inspired to build new things since her breakthrough and was thouroughly enjoying herself just making the car. It looked like a scaled up soapbox racer, and not a professional one, all wooden panels and sharp angles, cheap wheelbarrow wheels along the bottom and a wooden frame with no glass at the front. However, the seemingly useless car hid several gadgets of Kinestro's design. Rubbing her hands together triumphantly she turned to Isaac, and fond him looking a bit forlorn, holding a strange blue turtle shell.

"What's wrong?" she asked, completely oblivious to the gaming reference.

"I don't wanna get you disqualified..." Came the response from Isaac, prompting a huge grin from Ashley.

"Disqualified? I'm not even registering! We show up attack a few folks, probably get kicked off the course a couple times, and try and hold the whole thing hostage! It'll be fun!"

A pair of very evil grins lit up the room.

Present

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!(TM)!!!

A soapbox racer came shooting onto the course with a gleeful Ashley at the steering wheel, while Isaac tossed blue shells onto the course with careless abandon. The shells all shot through the course, chasing after the leader in the race, and if one succeeded and knocked the leader back, then the next shells would target the new leader, providing an annoying course obstacle. The kinetic car wasn't sporting one of the race stickers, so it wasn't jettisoned from the course in the usual manner. However, there were certainly other defenses set up and soon the Kinetic car was flung from the track.

The rest of the race Ashley, Isaac and the kinetic car would continue their appearances, attacking all the racers with equal ferocity, in essence an unexpected obstacle to the racers.

Captain Cape

"Sorry I'm late, Dr. Centripetal Force was making a ruckus at the bank ag-you!" Captain Cape, looking his usual tired and harried, entered the tryout area, and halted mid explanation when he saw Brick Frog. "The Xyon rest home told me you broke out again." He took a step forwards, arms outstretched slightly to try and grab the costumed mental patient, only to get beaned by a brick.

"Feef muffer uff a waefer!<Sweet mother of a Jaeger!>" The captain covered his bleeding nose with a hand, squinting through the stars of pain as his cape caught Brick Frog by the ankle and quickly upended him, leaving him without his bricks... or leverage for much of anything really. "gah... liffe I faid, forry I'm bate...<Gah... like I said, sorry I'm late>" He winced and hoved sharply on his nose, setting the cartilage back where it belonged and tried again. "Sorry I'b labe... gah... gobba soub like amb ibbiot all bay...<sorry I'm late... gah... gonna sound like an idiot all day>" He took a long breath, looking like a cop who'd had a long day in many respects, except the costume... or cape which was currently tying Brick Frog up.

He started speaking in the tone a person does when they've memorized a message they don't particularly like. "Abbyway, de subrebe hubbred woub libe to welcomb you to Aberida amb rebimb you dab you are cuvvenby in der durisdibsion so amby acdions shoulb be run drough de local rebresebandive.<Anyway, the Supreme Hundred would like to welcome you to america and remind you that you are currently in their jurisdiction, so any actionsshould be run through the local representative.>" He looked slightly apologetic for the message.

Wolf

Wolf sipped at his coffee for a moment, before looking at Sarcastic seriously, appraising her. She was young, very young and inexperienced, but she had a talent and snagging that talent would help the Progressors greatly. "Now, as I said. Some of us with specialized skills and abilities want to help the world, and not like the majority of hero groups. We operate outside the usual realms of law, even moreso than the heroes that take to vigilantism. You would be working to observe Mads of dangerous natures, uncovering their secrets, and working to prevent them from doing the worst things imaginable." He folded his hands together and looked her in the eyes, imparting as much weight to his words as he could. "You would have to make hard decisions, and honestly you're already doing a lot of good working with that David kid," He smiled faintly "As small time as he is. But your ability, condition, could help take down some very dangerous mads."

Liam

Liam nodded silently as Natalie left. surprised by how un sitcomm-ish things were going. Not that he drew on sitcoms for life advice, but they generally portrayed the worst possible outcome in situations like this, and Liam tended to be a bit pessimistic. So he waited, slightly nervously. She hadn't seemed upset, but she did seem a bit n edge about something, even as tired and on autopilot as she had been. Hopefully this wouldn't be the part where he got dumped, he rather like Natalie.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

Post subject: Oh god why are all my new characters giants?!?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:55 am 

-Khan-

He stirred, rolling over on his pile of furs and snuggling against his little stuffed human. It was a guilty pleasure for him, still carrying around a childhood toy, but it was nice to have a bit of his home with him while at college dorms.

His ears perked up as he heard a crashing against his dorm door. With a silent yawn he stretched and stirred as the knocking got louder and louder. He walked over towards the door, reaching up to bat at the handle, flicking it with a paw and unlocking it. The door swung open...

He rubbed an eye with his paw. "...Natalie? Huh?"

Natalie stood outside his room, hands on her hips, not wearing anything more than a pair of boxers, a bra, and a towel draped around her body to slightly protect her modesty. "Hey. Let me in."

Khan blinked. "You're... acknowledging me? Just like that?" His body began to tense itself. At any moment the world could end.

Natalie scowled. "You're still a nonsensical talking tiger. I just need someone to talk to, and Sarcastic's gone." She shifted uncomfortably. "And... uh... you're the only other friend I really have." She thought of Sarah, who had officially been promoted from "stranger" to "drinking buddy", and added a bit abruptly "That I know the residence of." She frowned. "So are you going to let me in or not?"

Khan frowned. "Without my *face* on? Look, I'm NOT a morning person. My fur's all poofy in the wrong places and it'll take me FOREVER to get my claws sharpened and I need to brush my teeth and besides I'm going to ask Sahara out in an hour so-"

Natalie raised an eyebrow. "She left for the weekend with that other nonsensical talking tiger we've been seeing on campus. I thought you knew."

Khan snarled. "THAT CAD! I'LL-" At this Natalie stepped forward and shoved him back, causing about a predatory mammal with nearly twice her bodymass to lose his balance and stumble backwards as she slammed the door shut. "-listen to you about whatever your problems are now. What ARE your problems, anyway?"

Natalie folded her arms. "Boy troubles. He's got about a half an hour before he starts to question the excuse that I'm showering." She folded her legs and sat down on the floor, setting a plastic carrying case of toiletries she had brought with her down. "Now just shut up and listen, ok?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Flux-

As he watched Captain Cape start restraining the Frog, he clapped. "Nice. Good intro. Ok, now go ahead and get in line, there's a bunch of other people ahead of you, although I'll admit you're looking better than most of them so far. That's to your disadvantage, by the way. According to my list of resumes' Competitive Man! and The Overachiever are both auditioning today, and now they're both probably going to be looking for ways to make you look bad, and-"

Flux felt an arm on his shoulder. "Hey. Actually listen to him." At this, Flux jumped, whirling around.

Behind him, hand on his shoulder, was a tall, tanned skin man with a wild mane of graying brown hair that, instead of just falling, literally cascaded down his neck. There was an air of certain seriousness about the man, mainly in his tone of voice, but also in his poise. This man stood up straight, nearly 7 feet of body in a rigid, monolithic stance that could only be described a looming. His outfit consisted of a leather coatwith streaming, dangling bits of leather running down the sleeves, and a similar pair of leather pants, didn't do much to make him stand out less. A wrinkled face smiled at Flux

Flux scowled. "Sheesh, Biome, don't DO that! Why are you even her, anyway?"

"Radiant sent for me. Last acting member of the team. Helping with the hiring." Biome smiled and took his hand off Flux, waving it and causing the grass of the park beneath their feet to grow and knot, until a large grass-chair had formed just to the right of Flux's behind their recruitment table. He sat down it it, putting his arms behind his head. "Aaah..." Reaching into a pocket, he pulled out a long pipe and lit it. "Again I say. Actually listen." He yawned and closed his eyes as Flux looked up at Captain Cape.

"Ok, say that again, please..." Flux listened to Cape as he mangled a reply. "There's got to be some mistake here. The Ten Gentlemen don't have to care about Jurisdiction. UN Sanction says we operate wherever we need to."

Biome opened one eye. "Actually..."

-Radiant Again-

"Wait, WHAT?" Radiant, in civilian duds (A business suit with a tie and a briefcase at his sidefor when he went to M, a cell phone against one ear.) looked shocked.

Another man's speech poked through the receptor. "Do you need me to repeat it? Effective immediately, the Ten Gentlemen are being put into Inactive status. Any international privileges the three of you remaining enjoy are being suspended until further notice. We expect full compliance with the corresponding laws and regulations of different nations. That means NO vigilantism."

Radiant scowled. "This is insane. The Ten Gentlemen need absolution from typical laws to function at all! Are you telling me that we're being dismantled?"

"Right now it's political suicide to support people who, unlike so many other super heroes in this world, actually made the recent outbreak of chaos WORSE rather than better. You can sit back and cool your heels, Radiant."

The man in the business suit covered his face with one hand. This wasn't *supposed* to be his job. Marcus was the one who handled politics. He sighed. "So that's it, then. It's over."

"No."

Radiant blinked. "What?"

"Despite how this looks, the Ten Gentlemen are still considered an asset, even without the guidance of The Man Who Did The Impossible." The voice sounded firm. "However, several people are of the opinion that you've been given too loose a leash. The current Commander of the Ten Gentlemen is being called to the next hearing the United Nations to give an accounting of himself. While you aren't officially part of any government's military, we will be re-evaluating what privileges the collective nations of this world have given you. If you still believe in this, you're going to have to make it work with a tighter eye of scrutiny around you, Radiant. Recruiting new members is a good step, but keep a slot or two open. From what I've been hearing, some people may have some suggestions for you to consider."

Radiant frowned. "And if we don't?"

"The Ten Gentlemen have never been officially in the Employ of any government or nation. You're all free to leave, of course. But you've all grown pretty used to your cushy positions, haven't you? If I recall, the Ten Gentlemen have never been affiliated with any superhero registry, nor have you all ever had to worry about the expenses for any collateral damage or potential laws broken. To say nothing about no need for passports, OR the privilege to ignore restricted or private property laws while in pursuit of a hostage."

There was a moment of pregnant silence.

"The Ten Gentlemen is an old institution among superhero-ing. Enough so that none of your members really have had to deal with a lot of the legal side of things, have you? The world's changing, Radiant. You will have to make some concessions if you want to avoid having to change with it. You will meet with us at the next UN hearing. Or you will have to deal with a lot more than just red tape."

-Sarcastic-

She regarded Wolf cooly. While trying not to show any hints of it, he'd got her attention. A great deal of what motivated Sarcastic to keep DOING this sort of thing was intrigue and excitement, which she found she started looking for in her life if she didn't get steady doses of it. And he did a good job making it sound like moral high ground as well.

But Sarcastic wasn't one to bit down on a shiny hook without at least nibbling on it a bit first. She put a finger in her half-drained coffee cup and spinned the beverage around with it, trying to avoid making eye contact with him. She didn't want to betray any suspicions. "Ok... so let's say I'm interested. Is there any way I can ride shotgun on something like a mission of some sort before I sign up for my membership badge or whatever?" She picked up the glass and took a subdued sip. "Mom always told me to try something before you buy it."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:10 pm 

Captain Cape

First a quick lesson on the UN! If you already know plenty about the UN's workings, or just don't care/want to get to the action, skip ahead to the "And now the important bit"

The UN, believe it or not, has absolutely no authority over any sovereign nation states. The main body can pass non-binding resolutions of everything from the environment, to the treatment of a nation's peoples, but they're just that, non-binding. They're more like a large club country's belong to that offers advice to each other. Usually intrusive, criticizing advice. So how could the UN give the Ten Gentlemen such broad powers that other nations had to recognize? Simple, while the main body of the UN is devoid of any binding powers, the security council does have a good deal of authority. The only problem is the permanent members who can one vote veto anything, even veto something being brought up in the council.

After WWII "The Man Who Did The Impossible" had a lot of respect and his proposed ten gentlemen was approved by the permanent members of the council, with the understanding that the Ten Gentlemen would be a neutral organization for the already fracturing relationship between the democratic nations: The United States, United Kingdom of Britain, the Chinese Republic and the Provisional Government of the French Republic; and the communist nation Soviet Union. Since then things have gotten a bit petty with The Soviet Union, and later the People's Republic of China vetoing almost anything the United States or United Kingdom put forth, and the latter two vetoing anything the former put forth.

The Ten Gentlemen came to be considered an institution of the Democratic western nations by the Soviet Union and later People's Republic of China, so the two often put forward votes to have the Ten stripped of their broad immunities, only to have it vetoed out of hand by the United States or United Kingdom. Until the Red Sign event. Suddenly the United States was clamoring for the Ten to be made responsible. The United Kingdom suggested the more reasonable action of having the ten reevaluated and all five members voted to pass the measure, The People's Republic of China gleeful to see a hated institution brought low, and the possibility to inject more of their own mindset into the Ten.

And now the important bit

The Ten Gentlemen, stripped of their powers, however lacking in permanence as it may eventually be, was in a tricky spot. For the moment, all they could really do was recruit members with the hope that their broad powers were restored, which would likely mean making concessions to the communist state of China, and recently reinvigorated Russia. In the meantime, there were organizations of meta humans around the world itching to rub the loss in the faces of the Ten. This of course, included the Supreme Hundred, a sort of meta human FBI/posse with jurisdiction within the United States. Uberman was gleeful in being able to remind the Ten at every turn just how little power they had at present, and if he got to do it through Captain Cape, an uppity child who dissagreed with Uberman's methods, then all the more joy for the superhuman hero.

"Er, sir... ib's by uberbanbing dab the den dendebmen are ubber rebeiw... ab sud de subrebe hubbred do hab durisdibtion...<Er, sir... It's my understanding that the Ten Gentlemen are under review... as such the Supreme Hundred so have jurisdiction...>" The nervous hero explained, holding up a PDA with the e-mail detailing events and complete with copies of the orders. "dere is no pwobem wib you hobing rebrubend, bud, I hab by orbers...<There is no problem with you holding reqruitment, but, I have my orders...>"

Wolf

Wolf nodded, thoughtful. It was good that she questioned, that meant she wasn't likely to just be taken in by some Mad. "The problem with that request is that our missions are not usually short events, they involve years of gathering information on possible threats to make sure, if they do prove to be someone that needed to be killed, that we could do it without one of the many ways mads have for avoiding death popping up." He drummed his fingers along the side of the coffee mug and reached into his jacket, pulling out a PDA and sliding it across to Sarcastic. "This PDA has all the information, including blueprints, relevant theory, and manifesto of one Dr. Shive." The name would ring a bell to almost anyone in contact with M, he'd been a Mad who had been about to actually pull off a destroy the Earth plan, before being shot, liberally, along with his cult, by two mysterious figures. "It also contains the mission logs from the five years my partner was working undercover as one of Shive's henchmen, and the over all mission summery. If you want to understand how we do things, and why, this should explain it. I only ask that you do not show anyone this information and do your independent research in a manner to avoid notice."

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:26 pm 

Dr.Nefarious and the Amazing DuctapeMobile! Petey the Giant clockwork squid reaches out a tentacle, grabs-and finds the ductapemobile firmly stuck to it. Giving a cephalopodic shrug, he brings the tasty treat to his mouth. All that dancing worked up an appetite!
Only to have it slip from his grasp, somehow. The degree of adhesive is firmly under the control of Dr.Nefarious. Who is currently driving-piloting?-his machine up and over the tentacles, in a manner reminiscent of a roller coaster ride.

The Kid grins at the soapbox car lobbing the blue shells. Desdemona lifts an eyebrow. "You tossed out the clowns for the gunpowder pie, but not them?"
Kid Atomic shrugs. "Eh, those throttle jockeys aren't contestants, they're a course obstacle. No reason to get the heebie jeebies. Honestly? I'm surprised it took this long for someone to pull a stunt like that."

C Valente

Post subject: Change in perspective
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:58 pm 

Damien is halfway down the street before facepalming. He never actually found out Sparky's address!
Drat. Now where would a large, green, possibly radioactive dog hang out?
He guesses the park, and starts following street signs towards it.

Sarah is slumped on her bed when her cellphone rings painfully in her ear.
She picks it up.
"Axel, if that's you, go pester Damien. Damien, if that's you, then just knock out Axel."
"Heh heh, nice guess! Planning for both eventualities!"
"Oh, hi Kunda, I'm really not..."
"Been at it all night, eh?"
"Look, can you call me back later?"
"You wanted information, you're getting it! Or, maybe I should rearrange my life to the convienience of the person who implied that they'd destroy my stuff if I didn't give it to them?"
"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. You figured it out?"
"Weel, yeah, sleeping on hard cobblestones and then getting woken up and arrested at 3 am for loitering isn't really conduitive to good mood, no. And the sounds of a junkyard are pretty unmistakeable. So! That device, it's a tracker."
"I know that."
"Really, do you now. Amazing! Anyway, that device was developed to detect rifts in the spacetime continuum, by detecting leaks of the energy unique to the Void. And as a bonus, it can also trace objects that have passed through it! I've refined it a little, but it's basically unchanged."
"What are you tracking?"
"I don't know."
"I don't believe that."
"No, it's true. But whatever it is, it's making me nervous. Anyway, that's all you're getting! Bye!"
"Oh, great, you're gonna c-"
"-ut me off in the middle of my sentence aren't you? Yep. Thought so."
Sarah sighs, and turns the phone off. So predictable.

"ArGH! BAD SQUID THINGY! BAD BAD BAD!"
Axel is in a real predicament at the moment. One that perhaps could be solved with a few daring manouvres, but the water in his car sloshes dangerously when he even thinks about doing that. It's times like this he wishes he actually did planning and research before making a car instead of just adding things based on their coolness. Actually, no, he doesn't. Right now he is simply wishing he had something to get the water out. The idea of opening the door occurs and is immediately vetoed.
Sometimes it's just so hard to think.
And now the missiles are waterlogged and aren't working.
What's gonna go even more wrong now!?
Because it always does, for some reason.

------

Post subject: Not Quite Gentlemanly
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:33 am 

-Radiant-

"What? Look, I understand things need to be changed, but this isn't the right direction at all, sir!" Radiant scowled as he talked into the cell phone. "I'm coming to the meeting. We'll take your suggestions under advisement. But you can't just expect to tell us who to recruit to-"

"Unlike the other suggestions, Radiant, this one is not negotiable. I understand you've had bad experiences with... their sort... before, but if you want to have the Ten Gentlemen retain even a FRACTION of the authority they once did globally, then these concessions are mandatory. At least one representative of your organization must come from China, one from Russia-"

"And if they audition, I'm FINE with that! But I won't have something like that on-"

"You will and you must if you are to weather this storm. Your concerns are understandable. There is always opposition to progress. But they are also irrelevant when you consider that unlike yourself and nearly the entire rest of your team, the recruit we have in mind cannot be suborned. RELIABILITY is what this recruit brings to the table, Radiant. Unlike nearly every other member of your superpowered little club, we'll be able to TRUST this recruit."

Radiant closed his eyes. "...Hmmph." He frowned.

The voice on the other end of the cell phone sighed. "Radiant, I know you feel powerless by this. And it's not a good feeling. But I think you misunderstand your role. Regardless of what you see in comicbooks, there's nothing "hero" about you supers. The world doesn't need people like Othar Tryggvassen or Eric Tinker anymore. This is not an age of warfare or chaos. Such events are long past us. This is an age of order, and Beowulf need not apply. ENFORCERS are what's needed in an age of Law. For common crooks, there are the police. For people who can shoot lasers out of their eyes, we have superpowered individuals like yourselves. And eventually, if this new recruit works out, we won't need them anymore. The Man Who Did The Impossible may have held to such romantic viewpoints of gentleman adventuring, but he was stuck in the past."

The voice went on. "The age of heroes and villians is ending, Radiant my boy..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-...And there's just one more dragon left to be slain.-

In a cave in England, wearing a bright red necklace, Bahamut snorted, laying on a pile of stolen treasure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Natalie and Khan-

Natalie sighed. "Alright, here goes."

Khan raised a paw. "Wait, woah woah woah. Before we get this out of the way, let me guess. Is this about a miscarriage?"

Natalie looked confused. "What? No!"

"An ex-husband?"

"Close, but no."

"...are you gay? You're gay, isn't it?"

"No! Listen t-"

"...you know, I think Sarcastic's gay. Or at the very least she keeps picking the wrong guy to get attracted to. She had a thing for this henchman named Tha-"

Natalie folded her arms. "Ok. Either you shut up now or I tug off your tail. Understand?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:29 am 

-Flux and Biome-

Flux looked between Biome and Captain Cape. "...fine. Well, if you're gonna be here, Commander Cloaker, then you're going to help with the judging. I am not going to be "the responsible one" today without doing something markedly crazy. Welcome to the judging. The first rule is no protesting about what nicknames I give you." As Captain Cape began a reply, Flux narrowed his pupiless eyes and pointed antennae at him. "Ut! Ut! Ut! No disagreements. Biome, make the man a stone chair to sit on."

Biome yawned and looked over at the ground, waving a hand as the earth shook a bit, and a large stone slab began to emerge from beneath the soil, forming an enormous backrest. He glared at it, as the stone began to carve out of itself a smaller bottom for one to sit on, And then, closing his eyes and waving a hand, moss grew across the bottom to form a comfortable, downy cushioning surface. He nodded. "There. Sit."

Flux looked over the stack of applications. "Let's see... whose next on the list?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Petey, the Giant Clockwork Squid-

...Petey wasn't entirely sure what had happened with that hipster lady. It was a bit confused about that, still. But it's new toy was somewhat impressive! It shook Axel's car with a tentacle, making it zoom about in the water and watching it move, turning it upside down and rightside up and every direction in between. Eventually, it noticed the little moving thing inside.

And it got an idea.

Perhaps these things were just shells, and there was tasty, tasty Red Herring inside? It wrapped another tentacle around the other end of the car, pulling on both sides, trying ot get to the delicious treat inside while pulling it towards it's beak.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Natalie and Khan-

"Hahahahahahaha-ow." Khan was pinned to the floor, a hand rubbing his face against the surface beneath him, as Natalie sat on him. "Ok, I'm ready to stop fooling around and listen to you."

Natalie nodded and got up off of him, where the apex predator, who clearly could have gotten out of that anytime he wanted, sat back up and began cleaning a paw. His ears perked up as he tried to avoid seeming as interested as he was. "Ok, so what's this all about?"

Natalie closed her eyes. "Ok... well, first of all, let me start by telling you something that's not necessarily true." She folded her arms. "That sounds confusing, but this is... well, it's how it was explained to me when I first learned about all this crap, and it'll help put things in perspective." She turned away. "It begins like many things do, with..."

A long time ago, hairless plains apes began to organize and form societies. By working together, they realized, they could keep the tiger from taking their cubs while they slept, and make the earth beneath their feet obey their whim-

-I object to that Tiger comment-

-hush, you. Time went on and Man's desire grew. Beyond simple survival they began to wonder about the world around them, and since they did not Understand, they began to imagine reasons for why things were the way they were. They invented Story, and with it, they began to see the world The Way Things Should Be. The lightning in the sky was the work of a man who threw bolts down upon what displeased him. A lady lay in a lake, holding a sword and awaiting a hero to wield it. The great spirit Coyote played tricks upon Man for his amusement. Angel and Demon were locked in an endless struggle for the souls of Mortals. These things weren't necessarily FALSE, but they weren't true until Man chose to think of them. And because Man looked towards the sky and dreamed of all the things that were The Way Things Should Be, so they Were.

Natalie sighed.

Time passed, and The Way Things Should Be were recorded down on paper. These were Stories, not Truth. Lightning was a phenomenon caused by particles we couldn't see. There were no ladies in lakes. Coyote was a metaphor. Man began to wield the dread force Science, and The Way Things Should Be began to give way to The Way Things Are, forged in Experiment and encased in Reason.

But Man had believed in The Way Things Should Be for a long, long time. Too long for it to not be Real, in some senses. There really was a Zeus, even if lightning wasn't purely his domain. And perhaps there is an Excalibur hiding somewhere, waiting for one who is worthy to use it. And perhaps, just perhaps... Coyote is both a metaphor AND real. The Truth That Was a Lie still exists, and that people- Man, still dream of it, still read of it, and still write of it only makes it more so.

Natalie opened her eyes. "Do you understand?"

Khan looked at her blankly. "Not a word."

Natalie rolled her eyes. "It's how the supernatural world was explained to me. People believed in things, so they came into existence. That's not necessarily how it happened, but it's a useful tool for putting everything else I'm going to tell you into context."

Khan tilted his head. "So how does this have anything to do with you?"

Natalie scowled. "I'm getting to that! Just shut up and listen."

(Writer's note: The story-ish-thing Natalie told here isn't in any way canonical. It's just a parable I imagine she was told when she first was brought to Valhalla to help her wrap her head around how a world with Mad Scientists could have Sheath Demons or Supernatural Disorders, or Talking Tigers in it. But she's saying it here because it works. If you want to believe it's true in MSW, then it's possible that it is. But that doesn't mean that this is set-in-stone canon. Just wanted to make that clear)

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:01 pm 

Captain Cape

Captain Cape rolled his eyes and took a seat in the provided chair, making sure to give Biome an appreciative nod. He should be out patrolling, but he was also supposed to keep an eye on the Ten Gentlemen. So, if his boss didn't like that he couldn't be in two places at once, he could actually send a proper number of heroes to this city. Plus, the chair was surprisingly comfortable.

He couldn't help but smile a bit as he noticed his cape inching across the floor and up the back of Flux's chair. "Fibe, nobe comblainds frob be. Bud Cabe ib a bid lebb ob selb resdraind. <Fine, no complaints from me. But Cape is a bit less on self restraint.>" Just as he finished, the cape dropped down the cover Flux's eyes, remaining firmly in place for a moment, simply to make the point that it didn't have to move, then slipped off again, making finger waggling motions at Flux.

Zvetta Tarnosky

"Hello dear!" A cheerful voice spoke from Khan's door, a slight Russian accent tinging the words as Zvetta Tarnowsky, security troubleshooter and mother of Bill and Natalie, entered the room. She was a tall, whipcord thin woman, contrasting with Natalie's bulkier build, with black hair restrained severely into a braid handing down her shoulders, hiding a set of professional lock picks. Her face was similar to Natalies, save a bit sharper, and eyes twinkled with mirth. "Wonderfully polite young man in your room. Made sure to assure me very honestly that you two had done no sleeping together." Her lips pursed, hiding the smile twitching at the corners of her mouth. "Nice butt too, you should snatch him up before some other girl comes along and gets him." She absently pet the green blob currently on Natalie's shoulder and sat herself down next to Khan. "Dropped off some of mama's Borscht for you and thought I'd see how you were doing. Oh, and haven't you told the local security they need to upgrade their locks yet? Anyone could just walk right in." Her shirt was conspicuously absent of a visitor badge most parents had to pick up to visit their children.

Liam

Liam is still recovering from his meeting with Miss Tarnowsky.

Bill Tarnosky AKA Laughingman

Laughingman was hiding in his desk bunker, as was normal for when something was happening at M he wanted to hide from. Today it seemed that with so many of M's upper management on vacation, he had somehow ended up in some manner of a position of authority. His first order of business had been to hide.

10 ghost tackles.

Post subject: Heheheeheeheeehahahahmwahahaha! Suffer, my creations!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:47 pm 

Axel winced as the beak schreached across the surface of the car. He was drenched now, there was no avoiding that. He was totally out of his element. Water, why'd it have to be water? Further screeches and scrapes recaptured his attention.

BADBADBADBADBAD SQUIDDY! BAD! GO BACK HOME OR I HIT YOU WITH A ROLLED UP NEWSPAPER!

Not exactly a viable option at the moment - the giant newspaper he'd packed for the purpose was so much soggy confetti right now. But he wasn't thinking with his brain at the moment, and his madness was entirely unconcerned with impending death and more by the refusal of the squid to do as he said.

Eventually, the sight of an approaching black maw managed to get something through. He furiously spins the wheel, directing the hot jets directly at the tentacle holding him.

The mutagen in the water? What mutagen? Axel doesn't know about any mutagen, does he? Whooops!

------

Post subject: But who is the mysterious racer G?!?
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:10 am 

-Petey the Giant Clockwork Squid-

Petey writhed and squirmed as it felt the hot jets of Axel's car, suddenly understanding. This was not, in fact, one of those crunchy metal containers that contained tasty tasty red herring. Instead, it was one of those crunchy metal containers that contained BURNINESS and Pain! With a single swing of a furious clockwork tentacle, Petey flung the burny thing upwards, sending Axel's car shooting straight out of the water and upwards towards the sky.

The mutagen in the lake water was, of course, the reason why swimming was prohibited in Crystal lake. Produced by a giant squid that has been living in the lake for ten years now, it has the unfortunate effect of slowly turning anyone who comes into contact with it into a tasty tasty red herring.

Meanwhile, the mysterious racer G was witnessing yet another of Dr. Kinestro's attempts to disrupt the race, watching with amusement. Racing down the track, he watched through his rear-view mirror Kinestro barreling towards him at speeds that could only be described as insane. He had to time this just right... with the press of a button, he activated the shock jumps on the right side of his car's chassis, activating the ones on the left side just a second afterwards, propelling his car up into a barrel-roll further towards the left, causing Kinestro's car to narrowly miss the mysterious racer's car and scream forward farther down the track. "You can't beat my timing, kid." He smirked through his mysterious G-helmet as he landed, four wheels on the ground, and began speeding onward to pass Dr. Momma Bosco and pull into first place.

-Natalie and Khan-

Natalie fell silent. "Khan? Something's come up. I should probably go talk with Mama." She started to stand up.

Khan's tail floofed. "But... but... you were just about to tell everything! I mean, we were SO CLOSE! Now I gotta know what's going on with you and all this crazy mythology stuff!"

Natalie shrugged. "We'll talk another time, maybe. I'm not sure if I'll feel up to it or not."

Khan growled, looking crestfallen. "But I wanna know nooooooooowwwww..." His tail thrashed in agitation. "You can't just build up to something that's probably gonna be awesome and then skip over it! Come on!"

Natalie sighed. "Nonsensical talking tiger, you're acting like a kid. Grow up a bit." She folded her arms. "Come on,Mama. We should go grab some lunch or something."

"<censored for content!> you, Natalie! <censored for content!> Natalie's mama!" Khan expressed in frustration and general indignation, as the apex predator pounced at Natalie to try and prevent her from leaving. "Come oooon! Tell me already!"

-More Superhero Judging-

Flux scowled. "Cuddles the Cloaker, we are not going to be fun friends anytime soon." He teleported, appearing sitting on the cape, which provoked a lighthearted wrestling match between the two of them.

Flux looked up at the next applicant while wrestling with an entangling cape. "Oh? Sorry. Go ahead and start while I finish what I'm doing. And you are...?"

"The All-AmeriCan." Flux and the other two judges were looking at a man dressed like a giant soda-can with cartoonish arms-and-legs growing out of the sides, wearing a cape shaped like the American Flag and a label on his can that said "America's Choice Cola". Flux raised an eyebrow.

Biome folded his arms. "What powers." His speech, as always, was broken and refused to be a question, despite being phrased as such.

The All-AmeriCan grinned. "I can make and project torrents of american-made colas and other caffinated beverages. And with my patented Cannic Armor, I can take hits like-"

Flux looked down at the man, since he was currently hanging by one foot, suspended in the air by the cape he'd picked a scuffle with. "Er, is that the same sort of metal soda cans are made of?"

"Yeaaaah!"

"Because that's tin, then. You're wearing tin armor. That's not very effective."

The All-AmeriCan blinked. "But... but... I made it myself, and..."

Flux looked over at the others. "Ok, I think I've seen enough. 5 out of 10 on the Fluxometer. What do you guys say?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:44 pm 

As Doctor Mama Bosco exits the lake-in style-and starts on her way to the mountain, she notices the scenery is surprisingly beautiful. The track has left the city, and is heading through the forest. Anyone who cracks a window just might catch a refreshing whiff of evergreen! Or probaly just car exhaust.
And perched on one particular tree, a cute furry woodland creature bares its widdle fangs, its eyes glowing red.
Twin lazers shoot from the eyes. It's aiming for the rear tires, but hits just above them.
"Chitter!"<censored for content>
The death squirrel gnashes its teeth.

The sprawling forest is home to a great deal of wildlife, at least one wolf pack, freed/escaped mad creations, and more. Fairies have been rumored to hang out at the quiet pools. On the outskirts is the Xyon Wildlife Rehabilitation center, run by and adjoining the Bright Idea veterinary clinic. Reclusive mads have the occasional hidden lair. The local scout troop swears the place is haunted. The last troop leader scorned that as nonsense. By the way, they're looking for a replacement, if you're interested. See Mrs. Kaprinsky.
Up on the mountain itself is the Xyon Winter Wonderland Lodge. It has an amazing chef, roaring fireplaces, rooms that are the ultimate in rustic comfort, several ski instructors, and one pair of skiis. A pair of Dr.Viktor's abandoned 84 longs. There wasn't money left in the budget for equipment after hiring the instructors.
Any mad stopping there will be able to have a first class meal, and sigh with relaxation in front of the fireplace, hot drink beside them. Any mad in the race who ends up there is way off the track, and should probably check their route.

Our racers will find that the track starts to climb, and becomes very steep. They will go up the mountain, down the other side, and then start the last leg of the race, looping back around to Xyon. The obstacle? Aside from all the natural hazards infesting the area?
Random gravity generators.
A car will find itself in the grip of gravity strong enough to slow it to a snail's crawl, or have the gravity suddenly abate enough that they're in danger of floating off. Which could be unpleasant, if you're over a rocky gorge when it wears off.
These can suddenly appear over any section of the mountain leg of the race, and there's no way to sense where they are before you're caught in one. And they won't be accommodating enough to float you merrily on your way. If lessened gravity kicks in, it's in a spot that makes it as annoying as being caught in the extra strong field. The drivers will need to think creatively, and make clever use of their resources. Organic beings will be unaffected, just their vehicles. Anyone who is driving a living, breathing car will-well, we'll cross that suspension bridge when we come to it.
And just like with Crystal Lake, flying over the track is prohibited.

C Valente

Post subject: So there WAS one!
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:02 pm 

Axel can't get to shore fast enough. If he were willing to stop he'd jump out of the car and kiss the ground. As it is, he just opens a door and lets the slipstream take the water out, before opening the windows and turning on the heaters. The track is no less dangerous, but he feels the adrenalin starting to subside, and starts to enjoy himself more. He turns the jets off and lets the car move forward under the engine alone. Buggy takes a quick inventory of all the things that still work.

He's so happy that he doesn't even care when the car starts falling sideways towards a tree. A grappling hook bites into the bark of a tree on the opposite side of the road, and his momentum swings him around out of the gravity field, tripping up another car as a bonus.

He is slightly less happy when an angry death squirrel jumps through his open window, though.

------

Post subject: Re: Change in perspective
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:10 pm 

Quote:
Damien is halfway down the street before facepalming. He never actually found out Sparky's address!
Drat. Now where would a large, green, possibly radioactive dog hang out?
He guesses the park, and starts following street signs towards it.

Sparky is bored. Chic and Wally are gone. No Eta or Elleb to play with, they're gone too. She doesn't feel like reading at the moment, and there's a limit to how often even she can watch the Avengers. She sends Archimedies an email asking if maybe his dad will let him come to Xyon and visit sometime?
She rarely gets to see another mutated canine. All the mads in Xyon, you'd think there'd be more, really.
Sparky hits send, stretches, and lopes off. Maybe she'll go chase the ducks at the park for a while...

C Valente

Post subject: x2 abrupt ending combo!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:27 pm 

Damien is sitting on a park bench, watching the ducks. Normally, they would be gathering around any individual on a park bench in the hope of free bread, but this is Xyon City, and natural selection is a cruel mistress.
He blinks as a green blur races through them, barking loudly. It takes a few seconds for him to recognize her,
"Hello, Sparky!"
He walks over to her. She's panting happily, with a big smile on her snout.

It is with great satisfaction that Axel kicks the squirrel out the window. Thank goodness for the rear view mirror, that's all he's gonna say.

------

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:20 pm 

"Damien!" Giant green dog galumps over to him. Sparky wags her tails happily. It's the nice man who bought her food!
"Good to see ruu! Rrr you finding yourr way around Xyon all right? And while you'rre here..." She drops a stick at his feet, and looks at him expectantly.

Dr. Mama Bosco's car is zooming merrily along, when a gravity trap is triggered. The car begins to float up between two trees. That prompts something large, gray and leathery to squawk angrily, as she gets uncomfortably near its roost.

Thor is busily wrestling the giant squid. He should have, and could have, evaded it, but old habits die hard. By the time the battle royal is over, he's gone from having a comfortable lead to trailing the pack. Better luck next time.

C Valente

Post subject: Speak of the devil...
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:43 am 

Damien smiles. "Good to see you too, Sparky! And yes, I've been getting around fine." It's nice, he muses, to just have fun and hang out for once, and not be wound up tight over whatever idiotic thing Axel's gonna do next, or have to listen to Sarah's snarking.
He picks up the stick, tactfully ignoring it's stickiness, and throws it as far as he can. Which isn't that far. Sparky snaps it before it even hits the ground.

Axel's car slows to a grinding crawl as it suddenly weighs ten times it's usual weight. Buggy is flattened against his shoulder, pushing down on it uncomfortably and making him somewhat lopsided. He pushes the throttle wide open, increasing it's speed, which backfires spectactulary when he leaves the gravity field and the sudden acceleration causes him to slam into the back of the car ahead, causing it to career over a cliff.
Whoops.
He wishes he'd actually thought of doing that instead of it just happening. Oh well, can't look a gift car in the extremely crumpled rear because it's currently in a million tiny fiery twisted pieces at the bottom of a precipice.

Sarah's still recovering from her hangover. We'll just leave her to it, eh?

------

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:57 pm 

The game of toss the stick is a bit one sided, but Sparky doesn't mind. It's a nice day. Eventually Damien claims a bench, Sparky claiming the ground beside it.
"Did you hearrr about th' race? Chic'll be sorry she missed that."
"Chic? Is that your owner?" She mentioned something earlier about a mad...
"Nope! Well...perrrhaps technically? 'm a rregister'd sentient lifeform, but sometimes having a human to be respon'sble is handy. rrI live there. Say, rru play chess?" She pauses and adds, "rWe don' have to play a game-it's just a nice day t'be out, but rrit's yourr turn t'choose, if you want."
Or maybe he needs some one to show him around? Well, if so, she's free.

C Valente

Post subject: Oh, yeah! 50 point Flawless Transition bonus!
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:37 pm 

Damien looks embarrassed at the gaffe. "Sorry for assuming."
He looks at her. "Yeah, chess sounds f- race? What race?"

This race!
Axel wonders idly if falling over a cliff onto a lower section of road counts as cheating. He is wondering this because he is currently plummetting at the standard acceleration of 9.8 ms^-2 after another gravity trap greatly increased his speed when going around a corner. He activates the jets, steering the car to over the road, then hits the ground at a relatively safe speed, wheels spinning before gripping and zooming off.

------

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:21 am 
Heh heh heh.

Dr. Momma Bosco was moving along merrily when her car rose up into the air— and something big and leathery rose up right behind it. But she was ready. One booted foot stomped on the accelerator, as the car's rocket engines kicked in, throwing the car forwards... right into another gravity trap. And this one pulled to the side.

Momma B's stylized Packard Hawk began to careen all over the mountain as the gravity trap she landed in tossed her into another, which threw her into another, and another. Far from being in control, soon it was all Dr. Momma B could do to hold onto the sides of the seat.
Gradually, the car was thrown farther and farther away from the racecourse, being conveyored up the mountain by the shifting gravity fields. Soon, one last powerful one threw her forwards and up, into a direct collision course with the mountain's very peak.

Uh-oh. Time to bail out.
With a gloved hand, Dr. Momma Bosco pulled a large handle labeled "EJECT" beside her seat. Two things happened. First, the 8-track tape player (which Dr. Momma B had installed specially) ejected the tape inside it.
Second, the car ejected her, its roof opening up to allow her to pass through. The seat and the inertia of the car tossed her up, past and over the peak of the mountain— right into the claws of a peeved eagle-bat hybrid that had been following Dr. Momma Bosco ever since the car had woke it up from a doze.

Gotta think fast, Momma Bosco thought to herself. I left my funkblaster gun at home for the race, and most of the stuff I had is still in the car. So, I guess I'll have to—
Then, Dr. Momma Bosco had an idea. An awful, terrible, evil idea.
Speaking to the bat-eagle, Momma B said, "You know, you could probably swap that chilly alder tree of yours for a nice palmetto somewhere down south during the winter. All you'd need to do is take me up on this offer for a time-share—"
About half a second later, the hybrid dropped Momma Bosco, flying away as fast as it could. Dr. Momma Bosco struck a midair pose, before falling down through the chill mountain wind to land with a FLUMPH head-first in a snowdrift.

After she dug herself out, Dr. Momma Bosco took stock of her surroundings. She was a good ways around the mountain, nowhere near the racetrack, and her car had probably returned to somewhere it thought she'd come back to. There were no major landmarks around her, except for one: the Xyon Winter Wonderland Lodge, a few yards away from where she had landed.
(While she was looking around, a bat-eagle hybrid far above Dr Momma B screechittered something unintelligible about "there's your time-share.")

Which gave her an idea.
Running into the lodge, Dr. Momma Bosco was greeted by a sweater-wearing instructor. Before he could say anything, she blurted out, "Do you have any skis?"

~

A short period of tinkering later, Dr. Momma Bosco skimmed back to the racetrack, triple-time, on her brand-new pair of all-terrain rocket skis. Behind her, the Xyon Winter Wonderland Lodge (now completely skiless once more) receded into the distance. As Momma B headed down the correct side of the mountain, the gravity generators kicked in. First, a heavy one, pulling her down— then, a light one, slingshotting her up and forwards into an impromptu ski jump.
Yelling "YA-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~" as she flew (in the right direction, this time), Dr. Momma Bosco landed on the track leading out of the mountain area, her new rocket skis hovering a few inches off the ground as she pushed herself along with a pair of custom-tinkered rocket ski poles. She didn't notice that the tag from her car had somehow migrated onto one ski's bottom surface.

The "Mistress of Mojo" was back on track, with a brand-new (if highly unorthodox) ride. Things were going to get interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next