Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Xyon City Map?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:26 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

There was a bit of a mention in Chat about a visitor's pack given to those new in the city by M, which, amongst other things, contains a map.
So, shall I make one? This thread's where you can say yay or nay, and give information (I've got some, but it's gonna need a truckload, more than the family tree.) Unimportant areas will be left blank for further story telling, with only certain landmarks pointed out (and if you don't want me to pinpoint thing's like character's houses, I won't (after all why would M point out, say, "Andrew Tinker's House" to visitors? Actually, on second thoughts, don't answer that. :wink: ))
So please, let me know!

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

Post subject: Re: Xyon City Map?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:16 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Allright, I know a lot has to be left vague, and any map should have plenty of empty space. But, to begin-

A big park. It has a lake, Claire and Rolf had a date there. They skipped stones and a kraken attacked them...
The Xyon Winter Wonderland lodge. And Xyon is north enough for snowy winters.
Mountains, at least on the outskirts of town. One for the lodge-Jane wrote in an avalanche during the slime clone martian madness. The kraken thing that Dr. Syllable called forth, where Dr. Beard met Penny? Wasn't that on a mountain?
Forests. Been mentioned lots of times.
Okay, Claire had an adventure at the docks, I think? Beard and Vorplemeyer are in town. Jane and Chic did a beach scene during the Comes a Hero chapter. And most of the gang took the TransOcean Express train to Europe. So seaside, and east coast at that.
Talked to hawk in chat, the city has at least two radio stations. His, of course. And Chic took one over during the Redneck Wars, and used iet again during Bluelight.
Newspaper, the Xyon X-Aminer.
Bio had a brilliant, brilliant idea about the Abandoned Warehouse District. But I'll let him describe it.
Lots of coffee shops. Michael has a chain of them, right? And there is the Coffee 'n Toffee, which is near Andrew's college. Desdemona works there.
Oh, the colleges. As Sarah pointed out in chat, an arrow's shot apart-remember the challenge, and the giant crossbow?
Andrew teaches at I.C.U., International Charter University. Home of Nemo, the Living Library.
Redding College is home of The Library, founded by Dr.Minerva Dries, now run by Farnsworth the jagerbrarian and his assistant, Zia. The Library must dwarf the attached college. Oh, and both colleges would have stadiums for Calvinball games, right?
The Aquarium, that Vorpelmeyer took over.
The Xyon City Zoo, which has a mad creations exhibit.
The police station-Claire and I made up the police force, once.
M has an entrance, somewhere....Need Tinker on this.
The Bright Idea animal clinic. The clinic, and the Bright's rambling abode, are on the outskirts of Xyon. They also run the Xyon wildlife rehabilitation center there.
The forest has a wolf pack. Thad's written them many times, and Rex had to come from somewhere.
Monorail tracks, just because.
Atomic Motors.
Oh, there's more, but I think I'll stop here for the moment.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:31 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

Despite my head swelling due to Chicgeek refering to my idea as brilliant (and hence leaving a great height to fall from when other's go "oh, that it!?") I shall describe the Abandoned Warehouse District idea.

The AWD is in a state of near constant move. From time to time a developer will buy up an area of waste land, typically what was/is the current AWD. They then clear it, and build a brand new business park complex that everyone wants to relocate their buisness to. There is then a mass shift to the new complex, leaving the OLD business district to become the NEW AWD and visa versa. The cycle repeats continuously.

PS This is my first post!! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:13 pm 
Hyperkeeper

chicgeek wrote:
Allright, I know a lot has to be left vague, and any map should have plenty of empty space. But, to begin-
M has an entrance, somewhere....Need Tinker on this.

If my memory serves, the [extradimensional] entrance to M is hidden in the grounds of a disused factory.

Also, wasn't there a beach, not necessarily near Xyon, but within a short drive? (Honestly, the place is starting to remind me of Termina.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:05 pm 

There's an inactive volcano in the middle of the park, I believe. It has an observatory on top. I remember getting the description while working on my (sadly still incomplete as of now) Scenes of Xyon project.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:29 pm 

I was randomly paging through the archives, and found this.
Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking... if you'll look out the windows to your left, you'll see that the plane has, in fact, been entangled by a giant clockwork squid. While I'd love to tell you that this has never happened before, the truth is that this is about the 17th time this year that this giant squid has crawled out of the depths of nearby Crystal Lake and menaced planes on our runways. It's evaded M, Interpol, Project: Skin Horse, and Local Clockwork Enthusiast Emily "Chicgeek" Viktor for so long that we here at Xyon International have taken to giving it a nickname. Everyone, say hello to Petey, the Giant Clockwork Squid. Wave to Petey while he's crushing the plane, everyone!"

So, looks like we have Xyon International Airport, and a Crystal lake-complete with squid.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:46 pm 

Great! I knew there was an airport somewhere. Would anyone object to me placing it in North of the city, or should it go somewhere else?

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums