Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3000 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:56 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Aww! Pouts. But it'd be fun-well, maybe not for Xerox, but for us. Oh, well.

You know, I've said Jess is a Mad, but I've only shown her shapeshifting. I've never shown her Mad. I need to put some thought into that one of these days. Hmm....Darn writers block.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:17 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Aww! Pouts. But it'd be fun-well, maybe not for Xerox, but for us. Oh, well.

....fun. Mmm-Hmm. Yes, it could be... that. Sure. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:24 pm 

Where did we last leave Xerox, anyway?

Did I mention that I love Frederic and Michael hanging out? I half expect their lives to be turned into a sitcom of some sort...

And it amuses me that Claire feels the need to destroy something every day. It's so cute.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:34 pm 

yeah, Fredric and Michael are fun. So are Claire and Sarcastic.
The hench and the sidekick-should be interesting.
I have this mental image of the local stop smoking group wanting a donation, but Claire deciding instead to show them her patented stop smoking technique-the one she perfected on Xerox.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:39 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
I have this mental image of the local stop smoking group wanting a donation, but Claire deciding instead to show them her patented stop smoking technique-the one she perfected on Xerox.

Oh, she would, too. She thinks it smells *nasty,* and causing explosions right in front of people's faces is always fun.

Actually, there might be people smoking at the horror movie...

:twisted:

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:51 pm 

Regarding my most recent post: We see more of Sarcastic's not-quite-LG personality, and Michael likely seals his own doom. If he doesn't die because of what he's planning, it's likely that Xerox and M are gonna finish the job.

But it was SOO what he would have done. He'd die with no regrets.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:35 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
But it was SOO what he would have done. He'd die with no regrets.

Hah! He's not getting off the hook that easily now. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:39 pm 

So, Zobot, when does the Grand Prix start? I may have to make up a new character.
Normally I'd drag Des along for a hench, but he hasn't been here for over a week. And if something's up, and he can't join us-I don't want to take over his character.
Hmm, maybe Chic can blackmail Farnsworth into acting as a hench? Mecha's helpful around the lab, but not terribly mobile. And Sparky-the whole no opposable thumbs thing kind of puts the kibbosh on that. Although it would be funny...And I doubt they'd let her draft the Chimera as a mere hench, although that would be cool, too. I'll have to give this some thought.

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:56 pm 

If everything begins as planned, the Grand Prix begins tomorrow, sometime, when I get the time to put up the first post. The first post will be a doozy.

Here's a list of the events that should happen during the Grand Prix, in order, assuming no one is foolish enough to try and mess with the judges:

1) Registration
2) Pregame Madness test
3) Pregame Show
4) Event 1
5) Event 2
6) Midgame Entertainment Fest (More on that later)
7) Event 3
8) Event 4
9) Award presentation
10) Mandatory Destruction of the building (Conducted by the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd place participants of the contest, as tradition dictates.)

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:02 pm 

Oh, wow. This looks like a lot of fun. I think I might just have to bring in a character to compete...

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:13 pm 

Claire wrote:
Oh, wow. This looks like a lot of fun. I think I might just have to bring in a character to compete...

Well, remember, Henchmen have their own tasks to follow... and in several events are necessary. Aren't you gonna help out Jane?

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:18 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Claire wrote:

Well, remember, Henchmen have their own tasks to follow... and in several events are necessary. Aren't you gonna help out Jane?

Of course Claire's going to help out Jane. But that doesn't mean I don't want to use this opportunity to annoy Claire, and what better way to do that than have a Mad she knows mock her for being a hench? Besides, then I get to write for a character competing in all the events.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:23 pm 

Alright... that's fair enough.

I will say that these events WILL be a serious competition and player characters can be eliminated during early rounds. So be on your best game.

Also, as a reminder: Dimensional alternates are not permitted during this competition. So people such as Nega-Tinker, Anti-Wally, and Opposite-Amino will not be allowed to join in. And there's a SPECIAL way of dealing with them that the Mysterious Shadowly Corporation has in place for such problems... mwa ha ha. :twisted:

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:31 pm 

Oh holy geeze... I just read Andrew's latest post. This won't end well. This won't end well at all.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:05 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

When will the Prix take place timeline wise? Did that already get answered and I just forgot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:05 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Oh holy geeze... I just read Andrew's latest post. This won't end well. This won't end well at all.

Hah! Well, Xerox... his work is important to him. In the end, more important that he would like it to be.... at any rate:
So in the case of finding someone who has already tampered with M, showing talent in the meantime, he has a response ready.
Recruit or Destroy.

Heh... it makes sense if you understand how he thinks of himself....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:11 pm 

That Guy wrote:
When will the Prix take place timeline wise? Did that already get answered and I just forgot?

Timeline-wise: Technically, there's a bit of a snafu there. There's reasons why the Prix can't happen AFTER Bluelight, and reasons why it can't happen BEFORE Bluelight as well. So it's technically assumed to be running sometime during the project Bluelight Arc.

However, there's some complications there too, including characters being MIA, people wandering off, David being currently female, that sort of thing. So as far as the actual place in the timeline goes, we're adopting a "Just repeat: 'it's only a side story, I should really just relax.'" approach to it.

In short: The Frankenstien Grand Prix happens SOMETIME. It may connect with future events if people feel the need to reference it in the main game, or it may not. However, it's just assumed that it's happening sometime during the game, and understanding WHEN it's happening shouldn't be necessary for enjoying the Grand Prix itself. Hopefully.

If you're waiting for something to happen in the main game and want it to happen before/after the Grand Prix occurs, PM me about it and we'll work it out. I promise.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:26 pm 

Nonsense I'll work it out right now. The Grand Prix takes place in a small and irregular time bubble. These bubbles are formed of all of the misplaced time accreted into convenient packages.

That is, they are formed of those minutes that disappear when you sit down to a good book, or those times when the clock has seemed to just jump ahead.

It takes place in those small little pocket paradoxes that have contained every movie made from a popular TV series.

Characters are introduced and then killed off. And a completely different set of writers have been hired for the script. These writers can't make heads or tales of the "normal" continuity and just vaguely allude to anything they remember as being important in the main series.

So it all works out perfectly!!!!

You know what I'm going to go get some sleep. You may take my crazed theory or leave it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:37 pm 

Hmm... intriguing theory, That Guy. We may just adapt that for our own evil uses...

And regarding Claire's most recent post: Ooo! Do I detect another fan of Jasper Fforde's works?

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:45 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
And regarding Claire's most recent post: Ooo! Do I detect another fan of Jasper Fforde's works?

Maybe... just maybe... :D

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:47 pm 

Wooooo, long post. I was gonna have Xerox step in already, or maybe have Fredric do something drastic, but he kinda had.. different ideas.

You have to admit, Fredric makes a compelling argument. Micheal might want to step carefully with this...
Also, note that after the Madness voice was used, his accent is gone... now, what could that mean?

And Thad... you scare me, you know that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:00 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Another Jasper Fforde fan? I think the Thursday Next series is pretty good, myself. Particularly "The Well of Lost Plots".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:02 pm 

Heh... "Well of Lost Plots" is definitely among his best.

Actually, I really enjoy his Nursery Crime books as well. They're a unique spin on the genre(s) to be sure.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:06 pm 

Aw, Michael takes his first steps away from becoming the typical example of the stuffy evil scholar! It's so cute.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:37 am 

This is actually working out pretty well so far...

Quote:
Yea, Janet! Rah Rah Rah! And congrats for having the fortitude to put work first. You've got more willpower than I do! (I'm tempted to cut and paste the Transpolygnostic University Fight Song here)

I noticed last year that if you do it right, doing NaNo is a bit like going Mad. Everything Makes Sense. Every action is driven, every commitment pales before the Glory of the Plot. People tell you you're crazy, that you should sleep regularly, and when was the last time you ate? -but there's an undeniable logic that promises that soon you'll be able to show them, show them all. Willpower can get you pretty far - but if you can get to this place, your brain focuses on its own, and consciously-maintained willpower's unnecessary.

Unfortunately, I have little willpower myself, so I only noticed all this after spending the first couple weeks of NaNo 2007 not writing. Ended up doubling my word count in the last six days, so of course I was a bit insane when the realization hit me... :oops: Luckily, I seem to have found the madness early this year. WheeeEEEeee~! 83

Oooh, the Frankenstein Grand Prix is starting up? I can't wait! Heh heh heh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:46 am 

I'm looking forward to wresting the computer away from the family when I get home tonight and reading the first Grand Prix post.
And maybe by then I'll have figured out who I want to hench for me. :D

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:03 am 

The Grand Prix has begun! You may find the thread in the Mad Scientist Wars section of the board, as is to be expected.

The first phase of the event is to actually GET there... highly dangerous road trip, anyone?

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:10 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
The Grand Prix has begun!

Gleeeee! The Grand prix! Whahoooo!

And on another Note: Micheal is very cute, in an antisocial sort of way. Must... resist... Arm joke! *twitch*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:01 pm 
Hyperkeeper

If you can't think of any Arm puns, then I can give you a Hand... XD (runs off)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:59 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Professor Zobot wrote:
The Grand Prix has begun!

Gleeeee! The Grand prix! Whahoooo!

And on another Note: Micheal is very cute, in an antisocial sort of way. Must... resist... Arm joke! *twitch*

I feel the need to let one of my characters express a view point once more here:

Michael: NO! NOT CUTE! I'M A VERY BAD PERSON! I KIDNAPPED CHIC AND STILL HAVEN'T TOLD MY SUPPOSED FRIEND ABOUT IT YET! I'M NOT CUTE! NOT! ARRGH!

If you wanted a mental image, imagine him freaking out and tearing out some of his hair in frustration.

All this sensitivity stuff is ruining his evil persona.

-Xin Yun

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3000 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next