Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Official Mad Sci Wars Sidestory Voting Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

This thread is going to be about the MSW Sidestory that will be starting in the second half of March, ideally.

Here's how this will work:

Below you will find 3 ideas for sidestories, thought up by me. The goal of this thread is for people to ask questions about them, request more information, and so forth. The submissions I'm putting up here will be deliberately sparse for several reasons:

1) I WANT people to ask questions and work to get more information. Ideally this gets us a bit more back into the swing of things.
2) I want to leave room to surprise people, of course. The sidestories should have lots of unexpected and fun in them.
3) I want to leave room for people to change the sidestories in the game, so none of these will be too rigid. If someone works another "hillbilly" event in or someone else decides to throw in a plot twist or something, that is ENTIRELY in the spirit of how MSW has always worked and developed. If we use my ideas, I hope people take them and make them their own as well as mine. Mimic might be crowned god-empress of the universe for ten minutes or something.
4) The canon-icality of these side-stories, at least the three that I'm putting up, is debatable. They all "happen", but they "happen" in a way that, like with the Grand Prix, doesn't have a specific time in the normal thread of things. If other people submit sidestories they might have a set point in the timeline, but these are designed specifically to avoid that, since it's not going to happen in a main thread and shouldn't be "required reading."

Anyway, before we get to the sidestories, here's how this will work:

1) In addition to the side stories I'm putting up, there is a fourth option: the "write in candidate" option. Basically, if you have a cool idea for an MSW side-story, you can go ahead and submit it for scrutiny here as well, up until the 10th of March. Note that if you submit one, it's your responsibility to direct and run it, much as a maestro conducts a symphony. After the 10th of March, we will be closed for new submissions. If you put up a sidestory, also expect that people can ask questions about it here or request more information as well. It's up to you if you wanna answer or not, but just expect to have scrutiny.

2) From the 10th to the 17th, we will be "voting" for the sidestory. That means that anyone in MSW can post in this thread to "vote" for a sidestory, or post to change their vote, or so forth. People can still change aspects of their sidestory submission if they want, but if they do remember that people should have an idea of what they're voting on. If you decide to change your original idea from "MSW does fairy tales" to "MSW puts on a production of "Beauty and the Beast", people should know that you're making the change.

3) On the 17th, the final votes will be tallied and the final announcement will be made at the start of the gaming session that night (once everyone's there) whose sidestory won. Sometime during the next week the sidestory should start, and then huzzah and forsooth and so forth. (I have no idea why I wrote that last sentence. I'm in a weird mood tonight.) Please vote before the 17th or at least let me know if you need more time to vote!

Ok. Now that all that's out of the way, it's time to post the sidestory concepts themselves:

A ) Professor Zobot and the Telepathy Gambit: A sidestory set in the Negative Universe, loosely inspired by, well, Professor Madblood in general. The full events of the sidestory itself are going to be kept under wraps, but players will play their nUniverse characters (and possibly posi-verse characters as well if they somehow wander in) dealing with a new invention of nZobot that will cause problems in everyone's lives, as well as ensure that Rose's hair is perpetually frizzy and static-y and unmanageable. Because he's a bit petty like that. Vote for this sidestory if you want to see more of the nUniverse!

B ) The Igor Moot/Envelop of Insanity Awards: Sort of a Mad Sci Awards set in the nUniverse, originally suggested by Chic. Run by Igors, the "Moot" is an annual convention for Mad Scientist's henchmen, creations, minions, and so forth, with an awards ceremony for mad scientists at the end. This one is done for more zany silliness than anything else, as well as giving the nUniverse Mads a chance to shine a bit. But with a twist: Since the nUniverse hasn't been the focus of this game before now very much, the actual awards themselves are based off of a Mad's activities during the convention itself, rather than based off of stuff they've already done. Pick this option if you want to have a showstopping competition and sinisterly shallow plotting.

C ) Time Travelers Deux: A sidestory centered around the "next generation" of the MSW, where children of the current cast are coming back in time, each for their own reasons. In particular, my part of this sidestory revolves around 3 faces we've yet to see much of: Cassius, Cassandra, and Cleopatra, the three children of Lady Drezebel and Richard Toboz. Pick this option if you've got characters you want to showcase that haven't arrived in the main game yet.

D ) The Write-In Candidate Option: See the statements above, but this basically is here so that other people can offer their own ideas for sidestories. It shouldn't all be my show, after all!

And that's it... let's see some activity!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject: Re: The Official Mad Sci Wars Sidestory Voting Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:35 pm 

Okay, questions and comments on the ideas listed.
The first one sounds interesting-hey, who doesn't love the negaverse? But the description is just a little too vague for me to vote for it.
The second one-I'm a little confused. Yes, nega mad awards is an awesome idea, I grinned evilly when I suggested it. But why does a convention run *for* creations, minions, ect. have an awards ceremony for *mad scientists* at the end? If the minions are running it, isn't it about them? Who has the worst/best boss, who has been resurrected the most, who has the most style, ect. And just plain old getting away from the boss? And who would judge the mads-the minions who work for them? Who would pretty much have to vote for their boss? I'm probably misunderstanding completely where you're going with this, but that's why I'm asking. Still, it sounds pretty fun!
The third-future kids? I love the idea of us playing all the future kids who've mostly just appeared in chat-but I don't know how it'd work playing them coming back in time to our present. It has the potential to be a bit much to juggle, since our present characters will be there, and need to be played, too. It also has the potential to be awesome, for the same reason.
I do like these ideas! I just have questions. And I'm looking forward to seeing what else gets suggested, too.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:38 pm 
Heh heh heh.

So far, looks like we have 2 negaverse stories and a next-gen story... of those, stories 1 and 3 hold the greatest appeal.

I'd be in favor of the Telepathy Gambit. The negaverse seems acessible to all, and it would most likely be a fun idea!
For #3, the Next-gen, I'm a little worried. Some writers don't have future characters planned at this time (most notably Sarah), and I wouldn't want to leave her out... so, generally, I'm leaning towards Negaverse, but who knows what people will come up with...!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:13 pm 

I'll answer questions about the sidestories tomorrow. Sorry, gotta get up early tomorrow to work so I can see you guys tomorrow night.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:17 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Okay, questions and comments on the ideas listed.
The first one sounds interesting-hey, who doesn't love the negaverse? But the description is just a little too vague for me to vote for it.
The second one-I'm a little confused. Yes, nega mad awards is an awesome idea, I grinned evilly when I suggested it. But why does a convention run *for* creations, minions, ect. have an awards ceremony for *mad scientists* at the end? If the minions are running it, isn't it about them? Who has the worst/best boss, who has been resurrected the most, who has the most style, ect. And just plain old getting away from the boss? And who would judge the mads-the minions who work for them? Who would pretty much have to vote for their boss? I'm probably misunderstanding completely where you're going with this, but that's why I'm asking. Still, it sounds pretty fun!
The third-future kids? I love the idea of us playing all the future kids who've mostly just appeared in chat-but I don't know how it'd work playing them coming back in time to our present. It has the potential to be a bit much to juggle, since our present characters will be there, and need to be played, too. It also has the potential to be awesome, for the same reason.
I do like these ideas! I just have questions. And I'm looking forward to seeing what else gets suggested, too.

Answers.

First Story: The description is vague but I hope that it's also tempting. There's actually a lot of ideas I have for this sidestory, but I will drop the hint: it involves a satellite and SPACE! As well as a fair number of Professor Madblood inspired jokes.

Second Story: I will admit it seems like a bit of a mishmash. I wanted a story that was like the Mad Sci aWards, but different somehow. I think if we do it I may just set it in the posiverse, adjust things so that the event is for both Mads and Henchmen, but primarily focused on henchmen and mad creations... I imagine that Mad Scientists mostly go for the awards at the end, where there are awards handed out to various henches and creations, mostly so that the Mads in question can gloat about theirs.

Third story: I will admit it runs the risk of character overload. But it could be fun... heh heh heh.

quote="Jane Narbon"]So far, looks like we have 2 negaverse stories and a next-gen story... of those, stories 1 and 3 hold the greatest appeal.

I'd be in favor of the Telepathy Gambit. The negaverse seems acessible to all, and it would most likely be a fun idea!
For #3, the Next-gen, I'm a little worried. Some writers don't have future characters planned at this time (most notably Sarah), and I wouldn't want to leave her out... so, generally, I'm leaning towards Negaverse, but who knows what people will come up with...![/quote]

That's a legitimate concern, and one I overlooked. Hm...

Feel free to suggest ideas if you have your own sidestories in mind!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:36 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

I'm in favor of #3 more than the others because I have no negaverse characters and two yet-to-be officially introduced ones, but other people's character balances should be taken into account too...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:59 pm 

Hmm..still don't know which one to vote for!
Story three-does everyone have future characters/descendants? It's not like making up a throwaway character if you don;t-you'd be committing to your character having offspring, and not just a vague 'someday so and so has kids', but a 'so and so has a kid, and it's character x'.
Plus, there may be another player to consider, if your future descendant's other parent is someone else's character. For that reason I won't bring in any offspring of Chic/Wally/Rad. Not without working out with Tinker and Wally just who the offspring were, and which players they belonged to. I'd stick to Estrella Atomic-it's be fun to develop Kid's Atomic's daughter, anyway. Or one of Claire and Rolf's kids,(or Rand and Rose's), since Claire and I decided a ways back which kids were her characters and which were mine.
Still, option three sounds fun.
So does option one-wheee, negaverse! But it would mean anyone without a nega character would have to make one up. And I don't want to leave Dr.Beard or anyone else out. It is fun to imagine what Nega-Beard and Nega-Mimic would be like, though!
Right now I'm wavering between ideas one and three-I'd be happy with either.

I would love a 20's Xyon city story, all prohibition and gangsters.(Tinker's write up of that way back was pure gold).
Or a Wild West alternate history type of tale-with character alternates like we used in Pirate and Alchemy. But I don't know if I could get a story worked up in time, and don't want to commit unless I can do it.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:11 pm 
Heh heh heh.

I'd personally like to suggest a slight twist to Option 3. Instead of having future characters travel back, let the story be set in the future, with the next gen the lead characters. Chic, regarding your concerns, there IS plausible deniability— if someone doesn't end up liking their future character, they can just say that this side story was an alternate universe where that character's kids were these people instead of the new set. That's the nice bit about the MSW. We're a loose canon. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:21 pm 

I'm going to have to comment on Z's suggestions another time (although the nega-verse awards ceremony looks fun) but here's my sidestory suggestion.

Noir setting!

The quasi-mysterious 'Mister Gold' is holding an art and jewelry exhibition. In addition to showing off a large collection of valuables, he has offered a moderate sum to anyone wishing to exhibit something of their own. Characters are invited to come and admire his collection, although some might chose to add to their own collections...

(Ok, so this noir setting would be a really, really loose story- I don't have much planned. Anyone can show up to the exhibition, and people are invited to offer up stuff to be put on exhibition so they can design their own security systems, as well as trying to steal stuff and trying to catch other characters who have stolen stuff. Or everyone can just hang out and have their noir characters interact. I'd just ask that people try to keep the technology level and such thematically appropriate for noir!)

(If people do want to do mystery/stealing stuff they can PM me and I'll post to keep it a secret what's going on, so other characters can actually try to figure out clues, or they can post themselves- if people want to do this sidestory we can work out more details later.)

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:16 pm 

Hmm..we could be exhibitors, or just there to admire, thieves, reporters, security , ect ect.
I do like the idea of a Noir setting!

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:14 am 
Heh heh heh.

That could be good!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:15 pm 

This is difficult, with having several good ideas to choose from. But I'm voting option #1, because I can't resist the siren call of the negaverse. I do hope we get to do Claire's noir story, too, later. It was hard choosing between those two!

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:49 pm 

For my money, I think the nVerse awards, OR Kates noir thing are the winners.
But I do NOT think we should do the Future Kids thing.

Nothing is more boring to me in an RP then locking characters into place. It stifles creativity, because suddenly you can't make decisions about your own characters the same way. You already know who survives, where they live, who they love, and a multitude of other little details. Id be one thing if we were writing a novel, but its a multi-person collaborative RP.

If I opened a DNd game by telling my players two of them were going to get married, one would die, the rest would live no matter what they did, and X event would happen to Y, I think I would have only myself to blame if one spent the game trying to kill self amusingly, and another contracted amnesia and ran away to the dwarf mines, to open a speciality leather shop.

You could compare it to chat, but in chat we're just coming up with ideas. We can change things up until its put down into the forum- it gives us ideas, but its purely voluntary. Actually setting events in the future... that winds up with people pinning other people in place, story wise, without their consent, just by the act of setting things for sure in the future. Everything is too intertwined for that not to happen.

....I had to think about this a lot for the time travel chapter. My two cents.

Edit: And no, making it a 'parallel universe' does not solve the problems and amount of not fun I would have with this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:46 pm 

Ok, I've thought about these a bit.

#1- Nverse sidestory with nZobot having an evil plan.

This could be a lot of fun! I like the nega-verse and anything stirring up trouble is always good. My only comment on this is that it might be a bit tough for people to pop in and out as school/work fluctuate, since it has a more defined structure.

#2- Nverse sidestory with awards

Also fun! I like this one a bit better than #1, just because I think that it'll be easier for people to come and go. It also seems more 'side-story' ish to me.

#3- Future kids story

I'm not so fond of this one. What Luc said about locking things into place summarizes my feelings pretty well. I'd also like to add that if we just decided to set it in an alternate universe it's rather unsatisfying from a story standpoint. In addition to having everyone create (even potential) future characters (for those who haven't already) ...well, I just don't think this one would work very well.

#K -Noir story

I wouldn't have proposed this one if I didn't think it was a good idea. I tried to make it flexible enough that people could come and go whenever they wanted, and we'd just see characters interact, but people would have to make up Noir characters. It'd also be mostly story-driven by people who aren't me, which I suppose could be a plus or a minus depending on your opinion.

Final vote: I think #2, because I've wanted to do nega-verse for a really long time.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:52 pm 

1st preference, story one, with nega zobot.. 2nd preference, Noir. Third preference, the nverse awards. But I'd be happy with any of these.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:30 pm 
Heh heh heh.

I vote for... Noir as first choice, then Negaverse (the nZobot, not the awards).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:02 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

I'll go with #2, it's negaverse, which is fun and it's very side story-ish which is good for current events.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:01 pm 

Ok...

At last vote, since we haven't heard from everyone (SIB, Dr. Beard, and to my knowledge Sarah) and we're currently tied, we are having an EMERGENCY SECOND ROUND VOTE!

Basically: The nConvention (Aka Igor Moot) and the Noir story are tied for first, so we're going to have a vote off!

Please post here if you wish to vote for:

A) The Noir Story

Or

B) The Negative Universe Convention

Votes will be tallied by saturday night at the game! The sidestory will start in the days after it!

Thank you for reading!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:06 pm 
Heh heh heh.

I vote for the Noir story. It sounds very, very fun and I hope it wins!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 pm 

Hmmm. I vote for nConvention.
Gah, another tie!

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:33 am 

This was a really tough decision to make. I want them both! But I'm going to vote for the negaverse convention. Claire, I hope you do run Noir later. I'm looking forward to that a lot!

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:48 am 

hmmmm, I'm going to vote for the nverse convention story.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:45 am 
Hyperkeeper

I vote for Noir.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:31 pm 

nVerse awards.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:43 am 

Noir: I I

nConvention: I I I I

It looks like the nConvention has won the tie-breaking vote!

...wait... that means I actually have to do WORK. Crap. I didn't think this through.

REGARDLESS! The nConvention will be beginning soon!

-Xin Yun

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]