Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Oscars! (for Mad Scientists)
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:52 pm 
Hyperkeeper

I have a question. If there was an awards ceremony, like the Oscars, for Mad Scientists, what would some of the awards be? I know the top 3 awards would be the Maddest Scientist of the Year award, followed by the Most Evil Madsci award and the Best Madsci Overall award...

...but what would be all the rest? This might just end up going into the Mad Scientist Wars, into which I'll probably be inviting more people as well.

In short: you could win one of these! Now you just have to tell me what 'these' are.

Heh.
       Heh.
               Heh. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:17 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Well, Most Nefarious Plot, Henchman of the Year, Greatest Monsters, and f course, the Order of Frankenstine (Which you only get if one of your plots has SUCCEEDED, and not on a technicality!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:24 pm 

Best henchman.Often awarded posthumously.
Most maniacal laughter.
Special effects? The Style award-say Dr. Amino takes over Poukeepsie, Dr.Zobot destroyed The Mall of America, and Professor Tinker rained destruction upon the entire eastern seaboard. In addition to awarding the main prize for greatest amount of destruction, you'd have the style award, for most style and ingenuity shown while wreaking havoc. Comparable to a consolation prize, or miss congeniality, but a nice trophy to display in your lair nevertheless.
Ooh, Miss Un-congeniality!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:28 pm 

Well, I think one of the awards should probably be for most original evil invention. While there are a lot of things that are universally useful in the world of the insane (such as jetpacks or robots) it is the mark of a good madman that he develops things that are truly his own, his own unique marks on the evil community. Examples of these that I have seen thus far:

1) Helen Narbon and her cure for Mad Genius
2) Professor Tinker and his Term Paper
3) Chicgeek and her steam punk Zeppelin

Basically, what I'm talking about is some sort of award for innovative mad inventions, rather than just the everyday ray, or irritated spider-monkey that anyone could whip up.

Another suggestion for an award: Something focusing on the most significant henchman of the year. While we only (Currently) have one traditional henchman in the main war right now (That Guy), there are certainly a lot of non-mads that fit the bill. Candidates I would suggest are:

1) That Guy
2) Lagos
3) Fluffy (Or Fredric, if you prefer)
4) Desius (Although he hasn't done any ACTUAL henching just yet, he's popular enough with the newer mads, and that thing with the raygun was pretty awesome)

That's just off the top of my head. I could probably think of a few other awards if I spent some time thinking about it, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:55 pm 

Perhaps we should consider a category for *ahem* Good Acts? Not that I would be too interested, but It could be considered. . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:13 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Perhaps we should consider a category for *ahem* Good Acts? Not that I would be too interested, but It could be considered. . . .

If we did, we'd have to kidnap said person and tie them to a chair for the ceremony. If nothing else, it's tradition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:22 pm 

Wallycaine wrote:
Professor_Tinker wrote:

If we did, we'd have to kidnap said person and tie them to a chair for the ceremony. If nothing else, it's tradition.

I like to think of it more like the Razzie of the Mad science world.

We need a up and coming mad science award for all the freshly mad out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:26 pm 

Most stylish labcoat :D
Most returns from certain death-"No one could have survived that!"
Sure, we need a Good Madsci award. If nothing else, it brings them to the attention of all the Evil Madsci. It's as good as painting a bullseye on them!

A week/weekend long event would be so much fun to play. Conferences, panels, room parties, floor show, banquet, the bar,huckster room-er, I mean dealers proudly displaying the best in madsci supplies, for you, the discriminating buyer! And the gigantic running battle when it all dissolves into complete and utter chaos.

Sigh. I haven't had this much fun in ages!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:31 pm 
Hyperkeeper

chicgeek wrote:
And the gigantic running battle when it all dissolves into complete and utter chaos.

Ok, but you'll have to figure out how to get around me first, because I, and a small horde of nanobots, will be handling the security.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:39 pm 

I would have to say 'Most Wanton Destruction' for sure.
I nominate one Fredric R. Tinker!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:40 pm 

Most Complicated Plot.

That is all for now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:48 pm 

Quote:
Perhaps we should consider a category for *ahem* Good Acts? Not that I would be too interested, but It could be considered...

*Points* He's plotting to switch sides! GET HIM!

*A crowd of miscellaneous mad scientists jump Doctor Tinker, armed with large, pointy objects*

Seriously though...I know I'm not in any position to judge, since my character currently *IS* a goody-two-shoes (and is incredibly fun to play that way, I'm considering keeping him good, even if mad) but I don't really think we should encourage good behavior in the Mad Sci awards. I agree about an "Up and Coming" Mad Sci award, though.

There should totally be some sort of special gag award, something like "Most Spectacularly Foiled" or something like that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:55 pm 

*fending off pointy objects*
How about the 'Curses! Foiled Again!' award?
Most dramatic Victory? Ooh! The Silver Q, for Best Puppet-Master!

And my intentions of vague alinement have been clear stated. Besides, it;s more fun if we have *real reason* to fight. Besides the petunias.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:25 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Best Technobabble in a serious explanation to a do-gooder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:02 pm 

Most Spectacular Death and subsequently, Most Spectacular Return From Death?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:27 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Most Spectacular Death and subsequently, Most Spectacular Return From Death?

Ooooh, I like that one?
How about 'Most thorough back-stabbing?'
OR even better: 'Most Idiotic Stunt'

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]