It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Mad Sci-de Stories: The Igor Moot
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:03 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Part 1: Like The Pull of A Black Hole, Attendance is Irresistible

-Some history is needed before we begin.-

The Igor Moot started off innocently enough.

Igors and Igorettes, known as the universal butlers, servants, minions, and henchpeople for those who enjoy a diverse palette of derangements, would gather together in the same place once every few years to exchange stories, history, and work experience. It was a sort of tribal thing, a place where everyone around you was like you, thought alike, and most importantly, understood. It was a place of shared heritage, where the word "heritage" is interchangeable with the phrase "body parts". Igors don't, as a general rule, let anything good go to waste. Shared experience, community, and fellowship was the norm.

And it was Good.

Then, a young Igor, bright-eyed and unaccustomed to the social dynamics of the world, brought a friend to the Igor Moot one year. This in and of itself was fine. There were no rules about bringing other people along, be they Igors or Insect-Headed Minions or gelatinous furry aliens from the planet Rexlaro-II. But that friend told a fellow friend. And that fellow friend told two of her friends. And those friends told twelve of their friends. And more and more people, almost all of them henchmen, began to attend. Events grew more and more disorderly, until a Committee of Igors and Henchpeople met for the first time for the historic Crafting of the Laws, establishing the Igor Moot as a formal convention, with rules and guidelines and codes of behavior. And one overarching governing rule:

Henchmen Only!

The Moot grew pretty predictably from there: Developing panels and guest speakers, tournaments and product demonstrations. As well as Anime screenings and DDR, for no specific reason.

The trouble didn't begin until a henchperson misplaced their flier for the coming year's Moot one day. The story says that it got intermixed with the mail belonging to the mad scientist they worked for, who looked at it and thought: "...Trans-Temporal Particle Accelerator Demonstrations? I wanna go!"

The next few years were chaotic. Mad Scientists tried to sneak into the convention, as hapless security guards tried to stop them. With Transmogrification Rays and Invisibility Devices the conflict was fought, year after year. After years of bribery, negotiation, chicanery, and the saying of "Come oooooooooon!" over and over again, the Committee of Igors and Associated Henchpeople magnanimously lifted the rule of "No Mad Scientists". Over the next several years, the Igor Moot mushroomed into the entity it was today: a loosely organized conglomeration of panels, technical displays, entertainment venues, and awards, all punctuated by the occasional burst of maniacal laughter.

And once more, it was Good.

------------------------------------

-Meanwhile, in the Negative Universe...-

It began appearing in mailboxes, through postal slits, underneath bed pillows, and bizarrely enough, within cookie jars.

Just as it did every year. Few thought to investigate how the Igors got the word out, because the answer was probably less impressive than the actual speculation surrounding the question. Lavender invitations, announcing but a few of this year's events, found their way into the hands of everyone who had attended the notorious Igor Moot last year, as well as into the hands of quite a few who had not. Quite literally into their hands, in a few instances.

Such was the case of one young gentlevillian known as Professor Zobot (or nZobot to those universally right-shifted by a degree or two) who, while reaching for a wrench without looking, found himself pulling back a slip of paper instead. Gazing over the missive, his forehead wrinkled in thought. "Hm? The Moot? Has it already been a year? Yes, yes..."

He stood up from his worktable. Professor Zobot was a man in his early twenties, with shaggy brown hair he kept a bit longer in the back than his dimensional alternate. For the sake of vanity, the cybernetic appendage attached to his left shoulder was rather realistic, easily indistinguishable from a regular human arm unless under close investigation. He kept his face clean shaven, although recently he had begun maintaining a short goatee he kept around primarily for antagonistic purposes. Clad in a white labcoat stained in spots with black machine oil as well as a matching pair of stained jeans, he stood up and began leaving his lab, invitation in hand. "Blast. The Moot. Can't be helped, that. Andy will want to go, and it'll only annoy Rose more if she has to tag along with Freddy. Hate to leave a good project midway competed, but it'll keep until afterwards, and I DID want to to see who won the award for "Most Impressive Mutant Fish" this year... hm." He approached a sealed metal door, pressing a few numbers in on a console on the wall next to it.

The door slid open, and behind it, reclining and with his feet on the table, lazed a young man with small glasses and short blonde hair. Wearing a t-shirt reading "Ph34r t3h Cute 1s" and fiddling around with his Game Boy 4-D, the lab assistant of Professor Zobot, Sincere Male PC, looked up. "Hm? Something I can do for ya, boss?"

Professor Zobot had stopped telling him not to play games on the job. There wasn't really a point in even trying anymore. Sincere Male PC was an effective enough assistant and adjutant that he was more than willing to allow it to slide as long as Sincere's efficiency remained at it's peak.

That, and he was still trying to figure out what an "Entei" was and why someone would be so passionate about trying to catch one.

"Mister PC." He thrust the note, which was already beginning to develop small robotic limbs. "Our invitation to the Igor Moot has arrived. Be a good sort and murder it while I go see if Andy's received his yet."

Sincere's eyes widened. "Woah, the Moot? Dang, I forgot it was that time'a year again." He responded to his boss's command by drawing a large bowie knife from a sheath at his waist and leaping at the note, wrestling with its rapidly-growing electronic appendages. "You sure you wanna go this year, though? Kinda a bad time to leave "the plan" out where any jerk could sneak a peak at it before it's do-gggggk!" he gagged as a robotic tentacle slid around his neck and grew tight, trying to jerk his free hand up in order to pull it away.

"Perhaps it is a risk, yes, but the other risks outweigh this one. I've spent too much time obsessing over this as of late, and I worry that I ought to spend more time outside. Rose has barely even tried to stab me lately, and... perhaps I need to spend more time with Andy than I have as of late." Sincere Male PC's only response was to gag, causing Zobot to scowl. "Really, Mister PC, I hardly find it apropro to display such disgust regarding your employer's marital affai-oh wait you're actually CHOKING to death. My apologies, I withdraw my offense. Try to avoid dying, alright?"

He exited his private lab, sauntering down a hallway, and knocked on the door to Lord Tinker's private study. "Andy? Are you there? My invitation to the Igor Moot came, have you received yours yet?"

-Meanwhile, at the Igor Moot Itself-

A hooded figure stood in a line that was literally three city blocks long, stretching quite far into the center urban sprawl of Voyager City, in northern Minnesota, a land so desolate it was one of the few places to house large gatherings of Mad Scientists safely. Although the hood of this figure's mysterious cloak obscured his or her facial appearance, anyone watching nearby would likely be able to draw the conclusion they were upset.

"I really should have preregistered for this thing..."

(Please post character introductions now!)

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject: Re: The Mad Sci-de Stories: The Igor Moot
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 pm 

Rose

There was a purple piece of paper that had been shoved into her hands. It was bright*. She put it down on her sidetable, going over to the workbench in her bedroom. Stupid annoying correspondence... No one she wanted to talk to would be sending her mail that was bright.

A dark red cat-like creature laying on her bed stirred, making crackling noises. Proton, a sentient stabilized bundle of electricity, sniffed the bright paper. She let him. It wasn't like she was going to read it anyway.

A spark jumped from Proton's nose to the piece of paper. "Zzzzzzt?"

Rose frowned. The paper should not have sufficient conduction to-

Oh, !&%$#. It was turning into a giant mechanical spider thing. It was probably from $#@& stepdad.

"$#@*&#$%!&#@!" She pulled out her gun. That thing had better not destroy her bedroom...

JenJen

She looked over the list of Mads up for awards. ...why was Rose on that list. She TOLD them she could help with security as long as she didn't have to deal with Rose.

Maybe she wasn't signed up for the pertinent shift. She'd have to talk to the organizers.

Also, she wasn't sure who thought it was a good idea to make the security dress code 'suits and sunglasses', but she could probably get that changed before the convention, too.

Crash

Crash scanned the piece of paper. Interesting. It was going to turn into a spider-bot, but he ripped the paper right through what would become the power supply as it changed, so it wouldn't damage anything.

A rampaging spider-bot would probably upset Danny, after all.

Burn

Her badge came in the mail! Gleeeeee!

Sure, she had to agree to help out with the registration and organization for most of the con, but she had an Igor Moot 2012 badge AND hotel room paid for!

*shiny

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:24 am 
Heh heh heh.

Somewhere, in Cyon

In the house of a prominent villain, an automatic mechanism was activating. With the activation of the roadside and box pressure sensors, a set of metal tentacles extended, carefully grasping their precious cargo, before retracting underground and depositing it upon a conveyor'ed ramp. Slowly, it trundled down into the basement of the edifice.

At the same time, a woman was stuck to the ceiling of the very same house, waiting for her chance. She'd gotten in by careful wrangling with a glass-phaser and an opportunely placed skylight. Now, she waited on the top wall of the atrium, as her "GeckoSuit" kept her blended in with the surroundings. She'd planned things out pretty carefully, and now the opportunity she was waiting for was about to arrive.
Slowly, the woman crawled across ceilings and under the tops of doorframes, keeping her movements controlled so as not to leave any camouflage 'smears' visible to the security. When she came to the nearby ornate bathroom, she stopped, and slowly slunk in.
This particular villain had a special vulnerability that the woman had discovered, and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. Every 2nd Friday, he had the house cleaned by a professional service. And there were no security cameras in the bathroom, unlike the rest of the house.

After waiting just under 20 minutes, her patience was rewarded. The rattling of a lightweight cart reached her. The cart, loaded with cleaning supplies, slowly eased into the bathroom, followed by a woman in a stain-proof uniform. Reaching up for a sponge, she closed the door.

That was when the woman waiting on the ceiling acted, swinging down to the floor and holding a tiny bottle under the cleaning lady’s nose. She slumped over her cart.
Time for the real work to begin...

~~~

Several hours later, the intruder (now disguised in the cleaning service uniform) was thoroughly tired. She’d cleaned the house from top to bottom— and now, she was at the bottom of the house. The machinery in the deep basements loomed over the woman like a monolith, quietly whirring.
She rounded a corner, and there it was: the “Avalanchine”, as its creator had named it. A weapon of unimaginable power, albeit limited usefulness. What to do?
Taking out a spray bottle, the woman started swabbing down surfaces with cleaning fluid, slowly working her way up from the room’s floor. A badly-aimed jet of the stuff hit the camera, causing it to short.

The window of silence was all the infiltrator needed. Taking a small screwdriver from somewhere, she opened up a side panel of the device, reconfiguring a few slight things. The buyers of that machine were in for a surprise!
As the woman replaced the panel, the house’s mail conveyor belt caught her eye, along with a familiar lavender-colored envelope. With a quick grab, Maria Narbon opened the envelope and read this year's place and time of the famous Igor Moot.

About ten seconds later, her cover was completely blown, but she managed to enact a daring escape by running like hell in the confusion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:30 am 

Jeffee pours herself a glass of milk while waiting for her toaster pastry to pop up. ticktickticktickCthhunk! There it is! But why is it-"Purple?" Jeffee reaches for it cautiously. And reads it in disbelief.
"The IgorMoot? Why am I getting an invitation?" She's resolutely ignoring the post script about all recipients being nominated for an award.
"Hmm...Lord Tinker probably wants Xxxy and I along as bodyguards. Must be it." She quickly sprouts some extra limbs and rips the rapidly mutating invitation into confetti before anyone can see it. And tidily puts it in the recycling bin.
Although it might be fun to go, at that. Assuming she can attend incognito, of course.

Rand whistles cheerfully, and gives a quick rap on Rose's door. He hears gunfire-wonder what's dared to annoy her now? "Hey, Doll, are you ready for some lunch?"
"@#%&!!!"
Taking the muttered expletive for permission, he opens the door in time to see a mini rampaging spider bot blown into smithereens.
"Oh, you got an invitation, too! Wonderful!" He grins at her, both amused and attracted by the glare in her eyes. Rowr! "Come on, we can make plans over lunch. There's broiled salmon", he adds temptingly, offering his arm to her.

Francine (known as Chic to the members of this dimensional set) is giggling madly. "The IgorMoot! This is going to be sweet!" She tosses the mutating invitation to her monster dog.
"Sparks! KILL!"
The shaggy green death machine snarls happily, and gets to work with a will.
A gleaming, slithering bronze vine sulks. "I wanted to do that! He got to rip up the last one!"
"Now, Mecha. You'll get your turn." Francine smiles indulgently at her potted plant. "Think of all the fun we're going to have at the moot."
"...We?"
"Yup! I've added a special pocket, just for you!"
"Aw, Mom, you're the best!"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 pm 

Rose

"%&$#@ robots in my &$#$# room... I bet it was $@!&#@! Stepdad..." And now her room was all MESSY, too.

Proton rubbed his back against Rand's legs fondly. "Zzzzzzt."

"Hello, Rando... sorry about the mess. An invitation for what? I'm not accepting an #%@& rampaging robot as an invitation." She looked at the robot parts strewn across her floor and bed, then back at him.

"...do you mind if I clean this up before lunch? Just a little bit? It's going to bother me otherwise."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:09 pm 
New Madsci

Brian Roth was surveying the contents of his mailbox outside the small apartment he had rented near the university. So far, his time in the city had been ... disorienting to say the least. He pulled the pile of mail from the mailbox, and ducked under the entryway as a small airship sailed overhead. Some half-coherent rant about how chemtrail jets were madness, and low flying zepplins were the way to properly distribute mind-control agents was blaring from a loudspeaker mounted in the airship. Brian decided to get out of the line of fire - it was probably all talk, but then again there's probably a reason his fellow tenants had various tics. Lousy mind-control-agent dispensing neighbors, he thought. No wonder the rent is so low.

He wedged some laundry around the windows and air vents, and checked his computer for the upcoming schedule of classes. Most of them seemed pretty good. He was still trying to decide whether "Abusing Space-Time Topology for Fun and Profit" was going to be one of those high-level seminar type courses, or if it was going to include practical details.

He absentmindedly began opening the envelopes. "You're pre-approved for a new ..." - Junk! "Having problems with grey goo? ...." - Junk! "Cheap human-compatible organs, just call ..." - Junk! "Invitation to IgorMoot2012" - Ju ... waitaminute.

He paused and read the lavender card more closely. "You have been cordially invited ...". Now that sounded like something to attend! He had been trying to figure out how to meet the various scientists and technicians of his school and get to know them and their work outside a classroom environment. A conference would be just the thing! He put the envelope down to go look at his calander. Now what to take? He didn't have a lot yet to show, and precious little to pad a resume. Maybe the mini-gas-turbine generator thingy in the backpack? That might be useful. He turned back to his table just in time to have his computer lobbed at him by a mechanical spider robot.

What-the!? Brian backed away and ducked into his kitchen, fumbling under the table for a weapon. The spider robot began rummaging around in one of his drawers. "Hey!", Brain shouted. He brought his taser up and zapped the spider robot. It convulsed and appeared to shut down. "Lousy junk mail turning into spider robots!" The robot began to twitch again. Brian attached the taser to his backpack generator and fired it up. "Let's see how you take some more serious current", he said, firing the taser again. The robot rattled around on his desk, as blue electric arcs lanced towards any available ground. Brian took a few moments to savor his victory, before realizing he had run a gas generator in an enclosed and sealed apartment. "Blast!", he made for the door, holding his backpack over his head like an umbrella to shield against any raining mind-control agents from above.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:41 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!”

That noise was the noise of someone running from a homicidal metal spider wielding a craft knife.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

That noise was the noise of a homicidal metal spider running from someone wielding a broom.

A scratched and bitten Lexus stood over the smashed remains of a letter, breathing heavily.
He poked at it cautiously. Yup, dead.

The Igor Moot, huh…

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

Post subject: Helan holds the record for Furniture-based infiltration
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 am 

-Outside the Igor Moot-

They had left Igor watching the gates while Igor and Igor nipped off for a quick smoke. It was traditional for Igors to handle matters of Admittance, and while the thought of trusting Igot alone at the front door didn't really sit well with most of the convention heads (He had yet to prove himself as capable, unlike Igor, Igor, or Igorina) suffice to say he had earned a chance to prove himself. As young and inexperineced as he was, Igor was nonetheless enthusiastic and eager to prove his worth, and having to manage the entire line of hopeful entrees who hadn't preregistered for a full thirty minutes was a very exciting prospect for him.

His duties were simple. He had to check the name and id of anyone entering the Moot to make sure they were on the list, and if they or the pseudonym they chose to try to sneak in with was, to give them a con badge and a phamphlet identifying the various events and opportunities at the Moot. And lastly, to lead them into a modest reinforced concrete bunker and make them take the Test.

The Test was mainly done to ferret out Mad Scientists, as well as anyone else with the Madness gene. Participants were led into an empty room and left alone with a box of secondhand toys, notebooks, pens, genetic samples, electronic parts, chemicals, and tools. They were then sealed inside the empty, nondescript room, alone, for three minutes, while trained Henchpeople and an Igor or two stood by. If they heard manic laughter or sounds of construction, they entered the room to drag the Mad out before they built something dangerous. The Spark in question was then noted on the list. If, after three minutes, the person sealed inside had done nothing remotely insane, they were also released. Either way they were then allowed entry into the Moot proper,

Although many people objected to the test, claiming it unfairly singled out Mad Scientists and could be slightly discriminatory, everyone agreed it was better than the old days before Mads weren't allowed entry at all, and kept trying to sneak in. Still, there were always some who tried to honor the Old Tradition of "running the guards". These were the sort who missed the good old days of trying to bluff through the guards with a fake mustache, a false name that sounded entirely pedestrian, and a canister of sentient nerve gas. However, Hench-Security had gotten good at catching them before they caused too much trouble. Security standards had come a long way since the days of Helen Narbon sneaking into the Artists Alley disguised as a credenza.

As such, in modern times Mad Scientists and their ilk had to wear badges identifying their status while at the Moot. This wasn't a perfect situation by any means, and no one was really happy with it, but it prevented more doomsday device scanarios than it instigated.

It was such a test that was administered on the Gray Hooded Figure when he had finally gotten through the line. And so it was that approximately ten seconds after he had been sealed into the room...

"MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Hahaahahahahahahaha! MWEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

There was a frantic scrabbling as henchmen ran to the doors, throwing them open...

And finding the Gray Hooded Figure standing there next to the box, stuff untouched. He gazed at them, almost bored. "So is that what I needed to do? Are you gonna register me as a Mad Scientist or not?"

(Please continue to post introductions, preperatory posts, or whatnot! This post is mainly for flavor, not moving the game forward before everyone joins in)

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:25 am 
Heh heh heh.

Somewhere, Deep Under Xyon

Maria Narbon carefully searched the floor ahead of her. The secret tunnels under Cyon were well-lit, clean, and relatively dry, but there were still a few traps she'd never quite gotten around to disarming. There— a thin line along the flooring.
Taking a wind-up, Maria Narbon ran and leaped over the pit she was sure was there, trusting in her instincts to see her through. As she ran, the pit opened under her; she leaped— didn't quiiite make it— flattened herself on a dull corner the other side, half-in and half-out of the pit. Slowly, she pulled herself out of the trap and got to her feet.

Skirting the other few traps as she came to them, Maria Narbon walked through the tunnels, stopping at an unmarked, white door. The portal blended in with the tunnel walls; only a few thin lines showed it was there at all. Prying at a certain section of the wall, MN revealed a keypad, then typed in a code.
The door swung open; she walked through. Then, it fit back into the wall again, indistinguishable from the surrounds.

~

On the other side of the wall, things were different. A large space, a sort of 'hub', served as a central area. Three arches led out from it in different directions: One to a comfortable-looking living space, and another to a room with many screens and further (smaller) archways leading deeper in. The third arch showed the dark outlines of the machines that kept the secret base running.
After removing her shoes, Maria walked into the 'work' arch. For the Moot, going as herself would cause problems. Maria Narbon was persona non grata at many villainous events— for those villains that believed in her at all. Most thought of her as a bogeywoman.
The trick was finding some identity that would allow her to attend. 'Some random person' wouldn't cut it here. This was a technical conference. Dangerous, if you didn't have some measure of respectability. Or street cred.
Then, it came to her. She had the perfect identity.

Maria Narbon had created the alias— who was, to all appearances, a villain— some time ago, after finding that some of the people she tracked down would be put at ease if she presented herself to them as a fellow villain. She also found out that it was sometimes to her advantage to have someone's takedown be attributable to infighting among the forces of darkness.
Since then, though, she hadn't used the identity for a while, and a name that used to inspire fear now brought the response "Who?"

It was time to turn that trend around.
Walking into her closet (which was accessible from both the ‘work’ and ‘personal’ sides), Maria Narbon pulled out the devices she’d used in the past, and tsked slightly.
The microdart shooter was now obsolete, replaced with a new model. Fortunately, she’d gotten the new one a while ago, and it was even more slimline than the old one. The chemical-pack gloves, in black and purple, were still good, though. MN refilled them with some concoction from the chemical dispenser spigots on the far wall, lifting the note that said, “Note to self: THIS IS NOT THE SLUSHIE MACHINE” in order to get to the spigot controls.
The main parts of the disguise, however, were still good. The black wig still held the sheen it had before. And the dress was better than she remembered, with secret hidden pockets, space for weapons and devices, and an extra little surprise or two for anyone who was incautious around her.

Finished with putting on the dart shooter and dress, Maria Narbon set about attaching a different hairstyle. Her first stop was a bottle labeled ‘Wig Remover’, as she applied the bottle’s contents to her scalp and carefully pulled off the blond wig she usually wore (when it wasn’t one of a dozen others). After washing her (shaved) head with a washcloth, Maria dabbed from another bottle onto the inside of the black wig.
Then, with a practiced movement, she placed the new wig on her head, checking to see it was properly seated.
Once the wig had sealed into place, MN’s first reaction was a hair flip.

Only a few touches remained for the best impression. Maria Narbon pulled on the gloves, adding a small ring with an emerald underneath; a set of high heels added to her height, and gave an imperious effect; and MN pulled out a tube of lipstick from a container marked with 'DANGER' and 'POISON' signs and marked her lips darkest red.
Packing her purse with a few useful items for the first day, Lady Nightshade moved towards the secret tunnels. She was ready for the Moot; but there was going to be one small problem. She hadn't registered in advance, and she'd read someone else's invitation. In effect, she had to act like a villain— and gatecrash the event.

Maria Narbon, now unrecognizable, smiled. This would be fun. Challenging, but fun...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:36 am 
New Madsci

Brian Roth looked around the room. So, this was the "madness test", that the moot required of it's attendees. Build something ... something crazy ... out of what was in this room. In just 3 minutes. Even in the best of times, it would take me at least an hour or three to build anything good, and that assumes I come in here with an idea and the right tools., Brian frowned. How am I su .... .

Brian paused. A grin slowly spread over his face.

Igor limped into the room, and looked around. It had been quiet ... too quiet. What could possibly be ... ah, not a mad then. There he was, just sitting cross-legged in the middle of the empty room, suppressing a smirk. Igor was about to shoo him along, until the fact that the room was empty hit him.

"Whaa? Where did the equipment go?", Igor demanded, agitated.

"Equipment?", Brian asked.

"Yes! Our tools! Where did the chemistry set go? The electronics bin? We had three workspaces set up for the testing."

"Perhaps you were imagining it", Brian said. "After all, it could be you who is mad. Maybe you're failing the test?"

"What? Don't be ridiculous! My memory is quite reliable!"

"Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that you believe, that you remember quite clearly, setting up a room with several workbenches. Would it be possible for you to distinguish between a case where this is true, and a case where your memory had been altered? Or perhaps even your senses? How, hypothetically speaking, would you go about empirically determining whether or not you were working within the confines of a system wherein your senses did not correspond to reality ..." Brian's smirk grew slightly, as he proceeded to perform the epistemological equivalent of dividing by zero, and proceed along into the magical land of nonsense, where anything could become equal to anything else. I am soooo full of shit.

Brian recalled a situation not too long ago, when his old lab was running around trying to figure out what to do about several pieces of critical equipment that they were not supposed to have. *Obsolete*, the main office had declared quite randomly, even though they needed them for important work. Perhaps what they did to the inspector was ... cruel. But it was just too much fun to see how far this could go ... Just don't poke the ceiling tiles too hard

Igor Sr. waved his arms at Igor in exasperation. "What do you mean *what equipment*?! The equipment for the test!"

Igor hunched over even more than usual in confusion and embarrassment. "But ... but there *is* no equipment! The equipment is a lie! It isn't the equipment we are looking for!"

"Well, *I* am looking for it!", Igor Sr. said, "how are we supposed to deal with the backlog of applicants if we cannot compose a proper test of their abilities!"

"But there have been so many workbenches, so many mad laboratories, so many experiments. Maybe we've made a mistake? Maybe our masters have altered our minds? How can we knooow!?"

"Of course they've altered our minds, don't be ridiculous! Wake up! This is some sort of trick!"

Igor frowned. "I had him marked down as ... as sane. Does this even *count* as a positive result for the madness?"

Igor Sr frowned. "I'm not actually sure..."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:16 am 
Hyperkeeper

~A Universe Apart~
(Somewhere in nXyon City)

Mina, henchwoman for hire, woke up. Her head hurt like someone had let off hot steam within it, and her back felt like she had been sleeping on slats. Sitting up, she took inventory, and stock of her surroundings. She had everything she had had before she woke up, she was sure of that.
Mina noticed she had somehow fallen asleep on a streetside bench, which explained the stiffness. How had that happened? The last thing she remembered was... following up on a henchwoman's job offer... and then, a bright flash. Now, where was she? This looked like Xyon City... but not quite like any part she knew.

As she got up, a piece of paper fell off of where it had been placed on the unconscious Mina's abdomen. Slowly, cautiously, Mina picked it up and looked at it. It listed an address; when she glanced down the street, Mina could see that the building listed on the paper, a huge hall, stood at the corner of an intersection. A long line of people projected from the door. Having no better ideas, she set out for the building.

Moothall
When Mina got close to the building, she could see that there was not one entrance line, but three: "Henchpeople", "Mads", and "General Admission". The 'Mads' line was surprisingly short. A great banner over the doors read "Welcome All to the 2012 Igor Moot"— or, at least, it was supposed to. A pair of underage Mads were messing with the letters on the banner, so that it was halfway between the original message, and "A glooMy Wool-lit hectometre". As she watched, the second mad started arguing with the first, attempting to change the letters to "A cogWheel tooter mill Moot". Rolling her eyes, Mina took a place in the Henchpeople line.
When the line had slowly moved such that Mina was at the front of it, an Igor with a clipboard looked politely at Mina. "Your name, please?" he said.
"Mina Matthews," Mina responded, staring at the mild chaos visible inside the doors to the Hall. "Excuse me, what kind of event is—"
The Igor checked his clipboard. "Oh my! Someone thinks highly of you. Here's your VIP pass, Ms. Matthews." He neatly pinned a black-and-silver badge to her shirt front, then stepped aside. "Enjoy the Moot."

"But wait," Mina said, as she looked at the glittering ID card, "What kind of event is this exactly?"
"First time... I see," the Igor said. "This event is... well, it once was a convention for henchpeople only. Then, it grew. Now, Mads and others are admitted as well."
He handed a pamphlet to Mina. "This is a directory; it should help you find your way around. Enjoy— oh, one more thing."
He's chatty for an Igor, Mina thought.
"If you feel the need to top up your VIP pass's credit account, any of the terminals around the Moothall will work. Have a grand day, Ms. Matthews!"

So, someone's brought me here, gotten me a top-tier admission, and even provided me with spending money, Mina thought to herself as she wandered onto the Moothall proper. There's gotta be a catch. There's gotta be a catch. I bet that in a moment or two, a shadowy figure wearing a trench coat will come up to me and hand me a set of sealed instructions... or something!

....naah, I'm imagining things.

Unfortunately for Mina's imagination, what she had surmised was just about the next thing that happened.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:32 am 
Heh heh heh.

Lady Nightshade stalked through the line leading into the moot, quietly percolating like a black-and-purple serving of villainy-flavored trouble. Approaching the door, she was swiftly led into the Madness test room. The Igors closed the door.
And waited.

At first, there was silence. Then, so quietly it could barely be heard, there was a sound of a match being struck.
Suddenly, the sounds of creation, and maniacal laughter, fast and furious, grew to a crescendo from nothing. As the Igors rushed into the chamber, an explosion rent the testing room asunder.
The walls were scorched and stained, and Maria Narbon, along with all else within, was gone.

(Some ways away, the real Maria Narbon quietly walked into the Convention Hall in a delivery company uniform, holding a large package and wearing a 'I-don't-care-if-you're-here-all-day-I-just-need-a-signature" expression. The decoy had worked perfectly! She wasn't Mad in any case, but the opportunity for a distraction had been a useful one.
When she was in the hall, properly, MN ducked into a dark corner and re-emerged in her Lady Nightshade outfit. This would be a fun convention...!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:14 pm 

Mimic was, for her age, a behemoth of a betentacled monster, measuring 40 feet from head to armtips and six feet around in girth. She was, alas, not among the brightest of cephalopods. In terms of analytical faculties she more closely resembled her distant relative, the oyster. However, one does not necessarily have to be especially bright to enjoy creative pursuits, and she was quite pleased with her artistic rendering of herself tearing apart a small crab, picked out in bits of metal and soggy paper.

Dr. Geneve Beard sighed, just barely parsing out the blurry words "Igor Moot" if she mentally rearranged the largest scraps. She never would get to read the invitation herself first, would she? Ah well. It did make her favorite little pet so very happy. She could pick up a program when they arrived. Fortunately attendance this year wouldn't involve a two-day trip followed by a ten-day wait in the harbor, picking off cruise liners while trying to guess when and where the Moot actually took place. Just one more reason the move was a good idea, although she did sometimes miss her deep sea lair.

She wondered to herself what the odds were of a certain tunicate of a trespasser attempting a raid on HER aquarium while she was gone, and judged them at slightly greater than said blowhard buffoon actually following her there. Better prepare for both opportunities. Mimic couldn't stay behind of course, the dear loved the Moot, but there were some promising little side projects with the Physalia physalis she might be able to incorporate into the walls of the outer perimeter...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:13 pm 

Jeffee fidgets as the line slowly wends its way forward. A new identity was a piece of cake-she is a N dept. agent, after all-and a new look is child's play for the shy Chimera. She feels a qualm of remorse as how she ducked Xxxy, but suppresses it. As fond as she is of him, she's looking forward to a peaceful three days at the Moot. And if Xxxy was with her-

"Madness test! Bertha has somethin' to say about that!"
POWPOWPOWPOWPOW!!!
"Dr. Ironicus! I owe ya this for the Northern Lights incident! Take that!'
RATATATATATATATA!!!
"What do ya mean, NO SMOKING! I'll-"

"Miss? Miss?" Jeffee starts, as she's tapped on the shoulder. "Time for your madness test. Follow me, please."
She blinks. "Oh...of course.", and follows Igor into the building. Jeffee, like her posi-counterpart Jess, is the weakest of mads. Comfortable with madness, yes, thinking like one, yes, but building things? Please.
She's out and wandering the exhibit halls in no time.

Back at the entrance, Igor shakes his head at Igor. "So you just let her in? The Chimera-"
"Is not going to start any trouble. If she wants to lay low, let her. Publicly identifying her will mean old foes settling score, mads wanting genetic samples, challenges-it'll be less of a headache to pretend we don't know."
"Hmm...you know someone's going to out her or something will make her break cover. And if Xxxy or Lord Tinker deigns to put in an appearance...Eh, screw it." Igor throws his hands into the air. "Come on, this line's getting longer by the minute."

Francine breezes through the entry. Why waste time giving a madness test to an obvious mad? Everyone knows Lord Tinker's cousin. She's dressed in her usual black leather, bustier and pants and blue scarf threaded through for a belt. A matching lab coat is worn casually. Her teal hair is loose to fall in waves behind her, her clockwork raven, Poe, is on one shoulder-and a length of bronze vine is coiled in her pocket. Mecha uncoils, slithering out with a rustle to loop around her shoulders. Like a woman wearing a python...only not as harmless.
His leaves rustle, quivering with excitement. The Igor Moot!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject: N. Vorpelmeyer makes his debue!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:31 pm 

-Meanwhile, at the Moot...-

"Good morning, I am Nathanial Vorpelmeyer, or N. Vorpelmeyer if you prefer, and I am here today advertising my panel on biology this evening, with a focus on Terrestrial Supremacy."

His suit was crisp and pressed. A brown bow tie strapped around his neck, matching earthy suit coat drapped around his stocky frame. Muddy brown hair rustled along his head as he paced back and forth in front of a multitude of seated people. "As a quick answer to the question you're all likely wanting to ask... yes, those are Jabberwocks handing out phamphlets. Attempt to throw away the informative before the allotted hour-long timeslot and they'll eat you whole. Less of a mess that way. As a sidenote, they seem extra burbly today."

He folded his arms. "So let's begin. As any learned man knows, absolutely nothing good comes out of the sea. Japanese Tentacle Monsters, poisonous sea urchins, pufferfish, Jaws, the nightmare corpse-city of R'lyeh... the ocean is an impassive and murderous maiden, whom we have given little reason to care. There were seven authenticated, unprovoked shark attacks along the Pacific Coast last year, you know. And that's seven too many." He clicked a button on a remote, which began lowering a large screen at the back of the room. Another press of the button activated a ceiling-mounted projector, displaying an image of a lush field of wheat. "The average mile of earthen soil can produce exponentially more food for human consumption than an equidistant stretch of open ocean. Unprotected mankind cannot even venture 100 feet into water's depths without being at risk of nitrogen narcosis. And why is the majority of the space on our planet covered in a liquid we can't even drink without danger?"

He waved an arm out. "Have I caught your attention yet? Come to my panel to learn what you can DO about it."

And with that, he strode off.

-------------------------------

-Meanwhile: Mina!-

"Welp, that's the target." The Mysterious Hooded Figure, who was currently holding a half-eaten hot dog, watched as Miss Mina was wandering through the Moot. "Time to get to work, I suppose. Those shadowy and mysterious plots aren't going to further themselves." He pulled back the sleeve of his mysterious cloak, revealing a small watch with a single button on it, and pressed the button.

Suddenly the Mysterious Hooded Figure's form shifted and warped, as a holographic image formed encompassing his frame. That of... an equally mysterious figure. Only in a trench coat instead of a cloak.

SoItBegins wrote:
So, someone's brought me here, gotten me a top-tier admission, and even provided me with spending money, Mina thought to herself as she wandered onto the Moothall proper. There's gotta be a catch. There's gotta be a catch. I bet that in a moment or two, a shadowy figure wearing a trench coat will come up to me and hand me a set of sealed instructions... or something!

....naah, I'm imagining things.

Unfortunately for Mina's imagination, what she had surmised was just about the next thing that happened.

The Mysterious Hooded Trenchcoated Figure pressed an envelope into Mina's hands, and then took off running. He moved far faster than anyone wearing a trenchcoat ought to be able to, bobbing and weaving into the crowds. Most people payed him no mind. Intrigue at the Moot? The concept was almost passe.

The envelope itself, even before breaking the seal, had a single sentence written on it:

"SEEk The only Roth Under The convention's Halls before they find him."

And inside was written:

"You have only 30 minutes. Failure is not an option."

---------------------------------

-Around Brian Roth-

Elsewhere in the Moot, a man named Brian Roth explored the Igor Moot, unaware that shadowy figures were encircling him, observing him at a distance...

"Are you sure this is the guy Igor talked about?"

"I'm positive, Igor. He's the guy who wasn't confirmed as a Mad or not. We cannot allow such disrespect of our convention policies!"

... figures significantly MORE suspicious than two over-zealous Igors were also encircling him. They were just a bit better at not being noticed. And most of them were wearing trenchcoats that seemed not to have human bodies beneath them.

-Elsewhere in the Moot-

Two young figures stood in an alleyway. Figures that didn't belong in this universe. Anyone particularly attuned to the nexuses of dimensional energy (noticing if people were shiny or not) would spot them as interlopers right away.

Only one of them was there because they wanted to be, however.

Sarcastic Female NPC, from the positive universe, had her hands on her hips, and was glaring at her captor in indignation. "WHY? Why the Frig would you kidnap me? There's absolutely no reason to-"

Michael Toboz sat there in front of her, holding a paralizatoin ray in front of her. "The last time I spoke with my doppleganger in this universe, I threatened to banish him to the Phantom Zone."

Sarcastic waited as a moment of silence passed between them. "...AND?"

Michael looked away from her, scanning the crowd. "I needed a consultant. I don't actually know what the Phantom Zone is." His eyes glistened. "Oh hey. There's that Jeffee woman. We'll need her. Grab the Net Gun, ok?"

(More to come as more people take the Madness Test or get into the Moot!)

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:20 pm 

Francine flips through her program, Mecha looking interestedly over her shoulder. "Sysadyne's having a firearms demo. That sounds promising."
"But Mom, your stuff's better!", Mecha responds, loyally.
"Heh. Then I can be amused and superior. Worth attending either way. Hey, my cousin in law's giving a talk! Oh, and there's an ongoing job fair. What do you say, think we should bring home a hench?" Francine stops for a radioactive smoothie-raspberry for her, and an oil slick shake for Mecha.
"Why, are they giving out free samples?" Mecha rustles with amusement. "Seriously, with me and Sparks around? They wouldn't stay long enough to unpack."
"Yes, yes, I remember the last time. Sparks was grinning for days. Weelll....maybe an Igor would be made of sterner stuff. Eh, I'll think about it."

Meanwhile, a young mad is laughing maniacally. "The most impressive mutant fish award will be mine!! Finally, I shall have some fear and respect! This is going to be our year, Rexxie!"
The giant, terrifying bat-wolf twitches his large bat ears. Looks like he won't be playing with the kids at the playground this weekend....ah, well.
Posiverse Penny is a good aligned mad, who makes cute but deadly chimera pets. NegaPenny makes giant, terrifying beasties. Or tries to, anyway. The best word to describe them collectively would be 'goofy'. They purr, froclic, slobber delightedly over the heroes instead of munching their bones. And this Penny tries so hard to be a villain....but it somehow never quite comes off. Sir Ignomious will show up at the scene, but ends up leaning against a wall, arms crossed and smiling while things implode-again-and take her out later and commiserate with her.
NegaPenny arrives at the Moot, full of confidence.
The Igor on duty checks her name off the list, skritchies Rexxie behind the ears, then lifts an eyebrow at the large green satchel by her side. The one smelling of salt water.
"Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to open that."
"With pleasure." Penny grins, and flips open the latch.
"SQUEEEEEE!!!!" Before Igor knows what hit him, a betentacled monstrosity has leapt out of the bag, propelling itself right at his face.
"AAAGH!!!" The creature resembles a giant koi fish from the back, an octopus from the front. Gleaming orange scales, and it's face surrounded by a giant mass of tentacles, stubby flippers it can walk on when needed, lungs and gills. And said tentacles are wrapped around Igor's head.
"HAH! Tremble! Be afraid! My newest pet will surely-" Penny is interrupted by a high pitched voice.
"HUGS! MOMO HUGS!"
Igor pulls the tentacles down, with difficultly. Momo-fish wraps them around Igor's upper torso instead. "Huuuuugs....ooh,warmy!"
Igor runs over. "Igor! Are you all right?"
"I'm fine, Igor. Would you believe it avoided my nose so I could breathe? Come on, fishy, let go. I have to get back to work." Igor pulls out a handkerchief with difficulty, and wipes a bit of slime off his face.
"Igor! That rash on your face!"
Penny smirks. So, it is toxic after a-
"It's gone! Contact with the fish-thing cleared it right up!"
"Whaddaya know. Nothing I've tried has worked on that! Now, come on, little fella." Igor manages to finish prying it off. "Back you go now."
"Hugs?" It chirrups, as Igor gives it a pat and deposits it in it's carrying case.
"Friendly, isn't it?" A 'mad' badge is affixed to Penny. "Enjoy the convention, Miss!"
"huuuugggs...."
Penny sighs.

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 am 
Heh heh heh.

Maria Narbon— Lady Nightshade— moved through the crowds, scanning her program of events. A nearby villain she knew was tagged with a tracker, as she brushed by in passing. The question was, what to attend first?
Practical Gravedigging, with demonstration— not her style.
Tentacular Creation Safety— might be amusing, but she wasn't in the mood for that, either.
Vendor Check-In— not useful now, but it did give her an interesting idea.
SysaDyne Weapons Demonstration?

Now that sounded interesting.
She set out for the demo. How far would they have come compared to her own technology...?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:44 am 
Hyperkeeper

Mina looked down at the instructions in her hand, trying to figure out what "Seek the only Roth" meant. Some basic looking around failed to provide any clues. Finally, Mina decided to just ask. Walking over to the desk marked 'INFORMATION', she said, "Hi, I'm looking for something called a 'Roth'..."

The Information desk was occupied by a single raven. On seeing Mina, it broke into rhyme.

"Not 'what is Roth', 'who is Roth'!
That is your clue, the raven quoth."

"Ummm, did you just say you quoth?—" Mina asked.

"But that's not all, what you must do
is take a role unknown to you.
He must survive, so take his hand
and become his second-in-command.
Of course, you'll need to look the part
the right term here is 'scary smart'.
From there, you will be tested, tried
by forces seldom satisfied.
Once you're done, you'll've gained new skills,
should you survive as fortune wills.
So go away, don't waste my time,
and come back when you've figured out this rhyme."

After gaping for a bit, Mina said 'Same to you' pleasantly, and headed for a clothing store.

It hadn't been too difficult to figure out what the raven had been referring to. In her past henching jobs, Mina had sometimes worked with groups of other henchmen. Typically, Mads who needed large groups of help tended to have a second in command. Those who worked the job tended to be women who were exactly 93% the height of their bosses, with perfectly prim clothing and a starchy demeanor.
Mina had worked under one many times, but never been one... until now.

A short time later, Mina walked back to the information desk. She was wearing a light-colored business suit, along with glasses that (while having no corrective function) did provide information displays on the objects she looked at. She'd decided 'hair in a bun' was a bit much, though.
The glasses added the annotation 'AND PROPHECIES' to the booth's sign, she noticed.

"Hello," she said to the raven, "I'm Mr. Roth's personal assistant. I'm trying to find him."

The raven stood to attention and stuck out a wing. "Second hall on the left, middle of the room, blue shirt, no beard."
Huh, thought Mina as she walked away, back straight. I could get used to this...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:32 pm 
New Madsci

Brian went from display to display in awe (sometimes rather horrified awe), but awe nonetheless at the outpouring of creativity on display.

He walked away from the "Comparative Death-Ray" booth with ideas racing through his head, but stopped again when he saw another display, the sign depicting some rather outrageously improbable flying machines. No way! He walked over to the display, and eyed the mock-up appraisingly. Wait a minute, that isn't a mock-up! Brian thought, eyeing the carbon discoloration around the jet exhaust nozzles. Someone actually *built* a jet powered flying motorcycle!

He looked around intently for the display's proprietor. I have *got* to get one of those, or at least talk to the guy who would think to ... but was distracted by someone tapping him on the shoulder.

"Yeees", he turned, blinking. "Hello!"

"Good day", a young severely dressed woman said, extending her hand. "Mr. Roth, I presume?"

"Ah, yes! Yes! Brian Roth", he shook her hand. "And you?"

"Mina Matthews. I think I am supposed to be your assistant."

"Assistant?", Brian said, blinking in confusion. "Err, wow, I just got to Xyon city two weeks ago - Is there another Mr. Roth at this convention? Who would send *me* an assistant?", he laughed nervously. "There must be some mistake. Not that I mind help! Nice to meet you, anyway, Ms. Mathews."

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:27 am 

Lexus wandered through the crowds, trying to see every exhibit at once. A box of popcorn had appeared in his hand through some arcane process, and he was absentmindedly munching it.

(Outside, a miniature many-legged metal monstrosity with the words "Thanks for the letter!" taped on its side scuttled out from an acid-ringed hole in the Madness Test bunker. It had been programmed with only one directive: to hug as many people as possible. Preferably their faces.

It found a dark corner, and waited. Soon.)

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

Post subject: Admittedly I did this part just to make up weird weapons
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 pm 

(More will be coming tomorrow night, but for now I kinda wanted to do this)

-At the SysaDyne Weapons Demo-

"Good afternoon and welcome to SysaDyne's Tech Demo, where we will be demonstrating the newest fab and furious ways to maim, maul, and mutilate your foes." A man with short gray hair that curled around his scalp stood on a stage, separated from the crowd with a glass-steel barrier. He flattened a flower against his tweed suit coat pocket and cleared his throat. "As you'll note, this year we're opting to keep a firm boundry between ourselves and our viewers, both to prevent any potential "friendly fire" as well as to prevent anyone from nicking the demo models this year." He looked back at the crowd, glaring. "You know who you are. Don't worry, you'll still be able to hear the big booms, we promise. As always, I am your host, Unresting Eddie, bound by voodoo magic to die over and over again and continually return. But thanks to the efforts of my lawyers, this year we have a guarantee that there will be no testing of weapons on me."

There was a loud and united "AW!" from the crowd. Eddie merely grinned from ear to ear.

"First we'll be demonstrating hand-held weaponry and devices. As any connoisseur of weapons knows, often bigger isn't better, and this year SysaDyne is proving that with our new AltWare Controlled and Concealed line. As always, remember that our Altware brand stands for alternative use of firearms, such as in the case of our first product on display..." as he reached into a box and removed a small raygun shaped like a "U", holding it at it's base, with energy crackling between the two poles. "...which we call the Mad Hatter. Allow me to demonstrate."

He reached into the box again, removing a small toad, which squirmed in his grip. As it wriggled, he tossed it in the air and pointed the Mad Hatter at it, firing. There was a bright flash of light as the Toad's body contorted and wobbled, and then suddenly collapsed in on itself, turning into a very confused chipmunk.

Unresting Eddie fired again, and before him was a small ferret. And then a flamingo. "As you can see, the Mad Hatter is a polymorphing ray designed with a random variable system: You pull the trigger and the target takes on a random form beyond you control. Great for the vindictive, power mad, or just insane; each individual device comes with 5 preset forms: cow, chicken, rabbit, fox, and pekenise, and more forms can be added later with the handy DNA-sampling syringe mounted at the top pole, to a maximum of fifty in an unmodded version. While we're on the subject, SysaDyne reminds our customers that modding our weaponry voids the warrenty and may cause unwanted weapon explosion: don't be the guy who got turned into a sparrow just because you wanted your Mad Hatter to have 55 different flavors of polymorph. Moving on..." he put the gun back in the box.

"Our next model is known as Luna's Lick. Fortunately for me, we won't actually need another test subject for it as well." He removed what looked to be a small, old-fashioned Six-Shooter, except made of an odd bluish metal and with no hammer. "And trust me, you don't want Luna to lick you." He raised the gun up and pointed at the confuzzled flamingo, and pulled the trigger. There was no bang, no loud explosion, and not a trace of gore. The flamingo just suddenly started twitching and looking around at the world around it, as if awestruck. "This weapon is a bit more complicated to demonstrate, but it is essentially a weapon that emits vibrations that begin to induce in carbon-based lifeforms altered states of mind. While the general effect varies on one's body chemistry, the victim usually appears drunk, or extremely high on some form of drug, such as LSD or Pot. These effects generally wear off after two to three hours and never last longer than four, and as it effects primarily only areas of the brain, eliminates any tell tale chemical indicators of drug injection or use. The only downside is that it isn't discriminating, anything caught in range between you and your desired target will get effected when you fire."

He paused for a moment, then added. "SysaDyne would also like me to say that we are not responsible or liable for misfires or accidental friendly fire caused as a result of discharging this weapon. Now, moving on..."

As the lecture continued...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:23 pm 
Heh heh heh.

"Lady Nightshade" scanned the demonstration, and the audience. The weapons they were showing were imaginative, that was for certain. Still, as it stood, the display was only mildly interesting to her.
Time to spice things up.
Pulling a piece of paper out of her back, Maria Narbon scribbled a short note. It read:

"They say all SysaDyne weapons have a remote override hidden in them, and I don't think that screen blocks radio signals. Want to find out?
A Friend"

She finished it off with a drawing of an evilly grinning smiley face, then folded the note into a paper plane and tossed it at Francine.
When the note hit her, nChic looked around. MN waved a little. What would Francine's response be?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:49 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Demothesis, NegaDemothesis to the posiverse's observers, stood at a workbench face brightly illuminated by the sparks of his latest experiment. They were bright enough to wash out most of the details of his face for any looking on. All that could really be seen was that he had some goggles on, his hair was an unruly mess, and compared to the posiverse's Demothesis his face was less sharply defined. The bright sparks died down after a moment and he sighed, rubbing his forehead. The sparks hadn't been intended in the least, and had melted half the components of his latest device, leaving it a box with slag sloshing in one corner as it cooled.

"Ok, it'd didn't explode that time. That's... an improvement." He removed the goggles, his face now full revealed. Without the intense light it could be easily seen that Demothesis had a lot more scars than his posiverse double, none as big as the other's, but they all followed shrapnel patterns, as though things exploding in his face were a common occurance. Which they were, and a moment after he commented on the device not exploding, the slag set off a chain reaction in one of the ruined components and set off another explosion.

There was another blinding flash of light, this time in a spherical shape around Demothesis as his forcefeild absorbed the energy of the explosion and vented some of the excess energy as light and heat directed out. The much shorter and lightly built Demothesis sighed again, stepping back from the workbench. He was generally used to his experiments exploding or going wrong by this point, and knew he'd eventually get it right, even if it did take him longer than most mads when they had an idea burning in their brain. He turned and took down some notes at a nearby table before turning back to the workbench and jumping in surprise when he saw a letter sitting on the previously flaming workbench. He cautiously picked it up and read through it for a moment, looking surprised.

"Cutename! Did you get your invitation yet?! Mine says I've been nominated for an award.... I hope it's not "Mad most likely to die in an explosion of their own making" ...for the fifth year in a row. Rose's stuff explodes at least as much as mine." The last bit had trailed off into a bit of the petulant muttering most mads tended to drift into when complaining, but not angry enough to declare their rage to all within several miles.

Then the letter grew legs and started trying to strangle Demothesis and he got loud again as he struggled with the letter's new legs. "Cutename halp!!! It's doing the strangely leg thing this year!"

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:40 pm 

Francine frowns as she reads the note. Suggestions on causing mayhem during the demonstration? And from a mysterious femme fatale who likes evil smiley faces and paper airplanes? Hmm... bears investigation. But, a little later.
Besides, she has her own plans for snagging a demo model for her own use. The glass/steel barrier can be breached , but not without being very obvious. But it's just a impenetrable (mostly) wall. The floor, however...
Francine sits, to all appearances rapt. And something slithers from an inner pocket, hiding behind her long leather labcoat as it drills its way through the floor. Mecha stretches, one end rooted in her pocket, the other making its way under the stage. Imaging device clutched in a tendril, he makes his way under the SysaDyne table. Surface...take readings...there! Hidden by the tablecloth, Mecha carefully extends upward, positioning himself right under where Unresting Eddie has lain down the Mad Hatter. Wait for it...wait....and the second Unresting Eddie shoots a sparkly ray at a chicken, GRAB! Mecha pulls the prize back down the hole, moving faster than a zip line.
Francine smiles.

Rand nods to an Igor, as he strolls among the displays. Jagerkin and Igors have enough in common to understand one another-but they usually find time to chat at these events. Now, though, he's busy eying the merchandise while he has a few moments. Rose would like this Insta-Lab-so would Scientist, come to think of it, Ditz would love that necklace, so fashionable!-and dear Madness, oh, he can practically hear her cackling with glee over the SysaDyne Disrupto-matic. Not that Madness needs any help causing mayhem, but he thinks she'd find it enjoyable. Yes, best to get it all.

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:12 pm 

~Rose~

She finished unpacking in her hotel room and tucked her suitcase in the corner. Dad had said she had to come to the Igor Moot, but he also said that she could stay in the hotel room the entire time except when Freddy gave his speech. And Freddy had really wanted her to see his speech, so she would show up for that. Hopefully it wouldn't be too noisy. Maybe during the speeches people would pay attention instead of trying to do their own projects or attention grab.

Of course, during Freddy's speech she would be very cross if anyone was not paying attention.

In the meantime, she had brought a few papers to read through, because she certainly was not bringing chemistry supplies to the Igor Moot. Hopefully these papers would be enlightening. There were a few journals that refused to publish anything not well-documented, repeatable, and with experimental errors listed, which was helpful. She sat at the desk, where she had set a small stack of journals and her notebook.

~Jen-Jen~

There was far too much chaos for security to consider something like order, but that was expected. At the very least they had managed to keep the convention from being destroyed yet. She would also get a bonus if there was below a certain threshold of property damage, which was a nice goal.

She strolled around the convention as she thought, quietly indicating to people when their behavior was not acceptable. That also didn't always work, but there were a decent number of people here from the school for Mads that Andrew Tinker had established, and they recognized her from her rules enforcement there. It helped to keep the confrontations down, at least. Of course, there were a few people she recognized that weren't from the school.

"Burn?"

The quiet girl with dark red hair checking death rays jumped. "...Jen-Jen? Hi!"

"Burn, please stop pretending to be on the security detail. And aren't you supposed to be at work?"

"I got time off and I'm not pretending..."

"...I am not covering for you if your father wants to know where you are." Jen-Jen allowed the last death ray wielder through as Burn bit her lip. "Why didn't you just ask him to take you?" This was going to end up with her being tasked watching Burn, wasn't it...

"He doesn't let me go to the really destructive panels!"

"I can't imagine he lets you sneak off and go to the Igor Moot unsupervised, either." Loooooong day. At least Rose hadn't shown up.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:00 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Maria Narbon watched the demonstration, quietly trying to think of something to do. The note to Francine was a good first step. Was there any other 'villainy' she could do here?
'Lady Nightshade' turned back to the stage just in time to see the Mad Hatter vanish, yanked down by something moving too fast to be seen.

That seemed promising.

Pulling a few hologram generators out of her bag, Maria Narbon programmed them to display something akin to a replica of the Mad Hatter. It wasn't a perfect copy, but it would fool anyone who didn't get too close.
Then, Lady Nightshade tossed the generators under her seat, spreading them to different parts of the audience. They'd project to make it look like the guns were being held by whoever was sitting in the chairs the generators would land under. It wouldn't take Unrising Eddie too long to notice the theft— and when he did, sparks were going to fly.

Maria Narbon smiled. This would be fun...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:51 pm 

Someone breezed past the long line outside the Test Tent. Nobody seemed disgruntled by this. Nobody checked her ID. Nobody batted an eyelid as she went straight past the assorted tools and geegaws lying on it's floor.

She smiled.

Sometimes, having to cross roads with spike barriers was worth it.

She surveyed the Moot. It was pretty much the same as the year before. There'd be some mayhem for certain, but nothing truly serious. She could afford to relax for once.

She sidled to the back of an exhibit, on the other side of which two Mads were whispering conspiratorially, and pressed the record button on her earring.

------

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:22 pm 

-Sysadyne Demo-

Unresting Eddie grinned. "But who really cares about the small firearms, anyway? Who wants to see some CANNONS?"

There were loud cries from the crowd. Unresting Eddie knew how to play to a crowd.

-Around Brian and Mina-

Igor was a bit frusterated. He wasn't sure who this new Igor that was so obsessed with Brian was. I mean, it had been Igor who had been manning the door when Brian took the madness test, but it was actually Igor who seemed to have gotten all hot and bothered over this.

Igor wasn't quite sure about this New Igor. He was definitely a New Igor. He seemed a bit less... grubby than most of the other Igors. Instead of smelling of science and chemicals, he smelled of... nothing. He literally had no smell. The New Igor was a bit slower to react to things than everyone else, too. No one else seemed to notice- it was just a split second slower- but it was there. Unlike most Igors, when no one was watching, he stood up straight and walked without a lurch. That didn't seem right. Still, Igors looked after their own, so when he asked some of the other Igors to help restrain someone who didn't quite pass or fail the Madness Test, they gladly volunteered.

And Igor didn't quite know what to make of the weird people wearing trenchcoats and fedoras that seemed to appear in any room New Igor entered, either... it made his inherited ear itch. But he did what he was told and approached Brian. "Excuse me, shir." He mentioned, prodding Brian's shoulder. "We need you to step over here into this room over here..." he pointed at a tent that had been set up. "By, ah, yourself. There is a matter which requires your attention..." He said, pushing between Mina and Brian.

(More to come tomorrow)

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:07 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Mina reimposed herself between the man and Brian, standing her straightest. The scan from her glasses indicated he was an Igor. In a tone that was strict, but not completely tart, she said, "Excuse me— I am Mr. Roth's personal assistant." She knew the glasses were designed to be reflective from the outside, both as a useful bluff and as part of the persona. "What exactly do you intend to do?"

She'd planned to insist upon going with Roth for everything up to and including the Madness Test— she was a henchwoman by trade, and part of the job was knowing when to duck. The question was, though, what was in the tent?
She looked at the Igor and waited for his reply.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:57 pm 
New Madsci

Quote:
(prior to being approached by the igors - a bit of a retroactive insertion)
(Earlier, at the Igor Moot)

"So", Mina asked, "what field do you work in?"

Brian was wandering towards the break area, in particular towards a given coffee stand. Mina glanced suspiciously at the setup, then put her hand on Brian's shoulder. "Why don't you wait here and let *me* get the coffee?". Brian was about to protest, but Mina quickly ducked into a back-area break-room, dumped the contents of a pot, and brewed something she could be sure was actually coffee.

1. This was a mad science convention - yes there are refreshments, but experienced convention goers bring their own. 2. There was another henchman sitting surreptitiously to the side of the stand with a notebook, looking eagerly around.

Mina quickly returned with two cups.

Brian laughed. "Umm, you really don't have to do that. Umm, so my field. I've been doing a lot of different things, mostly aerospace related, but there are a lot of other ... sub-disciplines. Also I've been trying hard not to get pulled too far away from actually building things. The problem was none of the people I worked with before were too keen on seeing the things I wanted to build actually constructed. Oh, there was funding for *designing* them as part of a study, or *modelling* the physics, but nothing for actually seeing them fly."

"What sort of things?", Mina asked.

"Heh. Let me ask you something - have you ever wanted to go into space? I'm not talking about just making it into orbit - I'm talking about actually building a vehicle capable of getting somewhere. Realizing that old dream that these days you can scarcely find in science fiction. See, the thing that has been holding us back is primarily a problem of the specific *energy* available in our fuel sources. I'm trying to build a different kind of rocket engine - one that uses nuclear energy. Then we could really get somewhere! I'd like to actually see Mars one of these days, you know?"

"Hmm, that sounds interesting. What has been holding you back?"

Brian, increasingly focused and agitated, launched into a lengthy rant on the difficulties of getting ahold of enough uranium. How it was such a pain to refine. How the NRC and the FBI kept meddling in his attempts. How chemical concentration was beyond his abilities due to the difficulties of getting ahold of the processing chemicals, let alone hiding a refinery - something that major governments can rarely pull off. So he had to invent an entirely new process. He was beginning to recurse down increasingly detailed trees of his endeavor, and would probably keep going ad infinitum, ad nauseum, if Mina didn't cut him off.

"So, basically you need uranium to build your rocket, right?", Mina said.

"Umm, yeah", Brian said. "I'm probably boring you"

"Oh, no not at all", Mina said. Her real employers wanted her to *assist* him, and it wasn't like uranium, even fairly enriched uranium was unheard of at a Mad science convention. But it also was a jealously guarded resource. After all, think of all the things you could *do*! So getting it would be tricky.

"So, suppose I could get enough uranium for you to continue your work? ..."

"Ha! That would be *awesome*", Brain said, not thinking much of it. Plutonium/Uranium had been on his Christmas list, half jokingly, for years. "Maybe some antimatter too, while you're at it. Then not only the solar system, the entire *universe* would be ours! Hahahaha!"

"Let's just stick with uranium for now", Mina said, unsure of the relative distances you would have to flee each, but guessing that an anti-matter rocket would likely be far worse.

Brian looked curiously at the Igor. "Ah, you guys again. This is probably about the 'madness test', isn't it?" He grinned slightly sheepishly. "Well, you asked me to do something 'crazy' right? I honestly don't know what came over ... I mean, sometimes you just get these ideas, and you *have* to see how far they can go, right?"

Brian hoped he hadn't offended his hosts too badly. It was just a harmless bit of fun, right? He also hoped they didn't mind that he still had half an electronics set and a soldering iron in his cargo pocket.

(Brian is willing to go along with the Igor for now)