Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Mad Sci-de Stories: The Igor Moot
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:48 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-The Sysadyne Demo-

Unresting Eddie tugged a nearby invisibility cloth off of what looked to be a large, dull gray cannon. What seemed to set it apart was a bright yellow bit on the front. "We call this one the Play-Blow Custom Shape Exploder!" He grinned. "The initial design is fairly straightforward: It launches a sort of fissable putty that explodes once it has received enough contact with air. Simple, no? But the real appeal of this cannon, despite its basic design, is on the filter at the front! By changing your filter, you can change the shape of the launched projectile, and thus change the shape of the resulting explosion!"

Someone in the crowd shouted. "That's not how explosions work!"

Unresting Eddie just rolled his eyes. "I won't even dignify that with a rebuttal. Mad Science can make shaped explosions, thank you very much." He turned his head back to the device. "Granted, the opportunity to make your own cosmetically shaped explosions isn't a tremendous groundbreaking change in the field of Kaboomology, but for those who absolutely POSITIVELY *must* blow their agressor up in a shape of a crescent moon, this device is a godsend. This specific cannon comes with 6 premade molds, as well as an additional 6 blank filters you can use to make your own custom shapes. Aimed at the vanity exploding market.

He picked up the Invisibility Cloth, which of course was easily identifiable by the distinct smell of apples on the fabric, and covered it up. "For practical reasons, we won't be demonstrating this device. There's simply not enough room and this year we weren't able to lure a Claire onto a nearby field to use as a test target for the explosion. Some guy in a red coat chased us off with a spiked wiffle bat. But moving on!"

He yanked another cloth off. "This is a new one... we're calling the Green Glow. Unlike most of our cannons, it's not designed directly with destruction in mind. Rather, the intent is to make a "Radiation Gun" on a large scale. Powered by Plutonium, the long barrel allows one to focus and effectively fire a long-distance "radiation blast", which will helplessly irridiate the area it is pointed it. Accurate over a long distance but the half-life of the ensuing zone of death is rather long. Widespread and extensive use of this gun could and indeed would bring about the end of human civilization as we knew it."

There was a cheer from the crowd.

Unresting Eddie rolled his eyes. "I know, I know. Anyways, moving on. This next one you might like, we call it the Spirograph, and what it does is..."

(More to come tomorrow!)

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Prior to the Demo

Mina ducked into a corner outside the guarded door, and made sure her suit collar was extra-sharp. She had set her hair up in a bun for this one— she'd need it.
Taking a deep breath, she walked swiftly to the door, holding up her (fake) ID. "My name's Mina Williams," she said. "I'm here on behalf of the Moot staff, to perform a safety inspection."

Carefully, she willed herself to breathe normally, if imperiously, as the doorminders opened the door. She just had to get in, get the uranium, and get out before anyone saw what happened.

"...and we'll accompany you, Ms. Williams."

Crud.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:46 pm 

-Mina and Brian-

Igor looked at Mina. "That is unadvisable, as the proper madness test's results tends to... spill. You may wait outside the tent, and come in if necessary." He said, flanked by several other Igors. "Mr. Roth may, however, may have requests for inventory. You will need to gather them for him."

Some of the other Igors, at the request of the New Igor, started to encircle Brian to lead him to the tent...

-------------------------------

-Rose's Hotel Room-

There was a knock on the door. "Par-DON me... is there a LA-dy Ro-SE PRE-sent? She has won an aw-ARD for the Moot and we need her to take a MAD-ness test while the tests are still be-ING done on day one... There are no more Mad-NESS tests done after day one, and she has to take one to get to the A-wards cer-E-mony..."

There was a repetitive knock on the door. Continually knocking. In an odd rthym of 1-2, 1-2, 1-2-3, and then repeating.

Outside, a tall man with purple skin, fur in odd places, and a tall hat bristling with spikes stood, garbed in military dress and in rather good spirits, entirely unaware of why everyone kept sniggering when he had been given this assignment.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:56 pm 

Rose frowned in irritation at the disturbance, standing up and walking over to her suitcase. She opened an inner pocket, retrieving a pair of headphones. She paused, making sure the door was properly locked before returning to her desk.

Slipping her headphones over her human ears and earrings, she sat down at her desk again, and resumed reading.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 pm 

-Outside Rose's hotel room-

The tall man frowned. She obviously wasn't coming out, and he had his orders. He really didn't want to do this, because they didn't want to get on Lord Tinker's bad side, but they needed her at the Moot for this, and if it worked out...

He wasn't looking forward to hearing the chew out for this, but desperate times call for desperate measures. He withdrew a small remote from his pocket, pushing a few red buttons on it.

Rose felt a tingly sensation on her skin for a brief moment...

...as all of the stuff in her hotel room, as well as she herself, were teleported into the Vendor's Area of the Igor Moot, surrounded by people.

The tall, purple-furred man started walking off, with a swing in his step. He didn't know exactly what would result of this, but he had done his job. The Igors would handle it now.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:59 pm 

"Mom? Did you have a good time at the demo?"
Francine gives a satisfied smile, and pats the vine draped over her shoulders. "Delightful. I look forward to...testing some of these trinkets out later. And tweaking them a bit. Hmm...maybe I can catch my cousin in law off guard. Heh."
Mecha rustles. "But Mom...you know he'll get you back."
"Oh, he'll try." Francine grins. "That's why it's fun-he's no pushover. Your father chose well. Not that I'll tell cuz in law that."
Mecha rustles with amusement, then stills. "Wait....that means...Lord Zobot is my stepdad!"
"Huh, I guess he is." Her eyebrow quirks. "Does that mean you won't help me prank him?"
"What? No, it means this needs to be the best prank ever!"

Francine's enjoying her stroll around the moot, and it's not long before her glance lands upon a certain femme fatal. Hmm...that's the mad who threw a paper plane note at her during the demo.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:19 pm 
Heh heh heh.

'Lady Nightshade' strolled out of the demo, smirking. It had been quite the uproar when the holograms had been discovered and those Mads had been blamed for the 'theft'. Fires still raged in several parts of the auditorium. She wandered around, noticing the various booths.
As she walked by one, an idea for a specific booth came to her. A little side venture. She'd set it up tomorrow.

Several minutes later, a familiar, stylish black-garbed figure came into view. It was Francine— and, from the looks of it, she'd spotted MN. Maria wandered over. When she got close, she started flexing her fingers idly in a nonverbal code the two had set up in the past.

It's me, Maria Narbon. People watching. Let's pretend we're just meeting 1st time, maybe make a show of slight testing one another's strength.

And with that, MN walked over to Francine, saying, "I saw you at the demonstration. Very nice to meet you. I am Lady Nightshade..."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:56 am 
Mysterious Stranger

A few days ago:
"Really, is that all?" the boyisn man said, taking the letter in his hands. The mechanical limbs had been torn off by his latest invention, some kind of dog-like plant that was way too aggressive. He didn't remember doing it, which meant he would lessen the use of his specially brewed mushroom tea for a while. "Igor's Moot, eh? One would think they would use something more classy, like a face-hugger. I love me some face-huggers..."
___________________________________________________________________________________________
A few hours earlier, on the entrance line:
Giant paws stomped at the booth's wall, nearly destroying the not-so-frail structure. The Igors rushed inside with weapons in hand, ready to destroy whatever abomination this Mad Scientist had created. So far, they had suffered minimal losses, a new to the Moot, and didn't intend on breaking the lucky streak.
As they burst the door open, all they saw was the pale, chubby Mad Scientist, sitting on one of the many chairs. All around, the place was wrecked, like a little hurricane - not unread of - was unleashed in the room. By the previous poundings, that didn't seem to be the case. The dirty blond more-boy-than-man had a grin on his face. "Sir, we're gonna have to ask you not to hide the experiment, sir", Igor said, pointing the disintegrating gun everywhere. "If you make it come willingly, we can re-integrate the creature after the convention is over, for propper use of the mad creature."
Clydas Omega (Charles Alpha's Negaversion) giggled madly, bringing together the tips of his fingers in front of his face, in one of the best I'm-awesome-and-I-know-it poses the Igors had ever seen. "Why, my experiment is in the room" he said. "In fact, just look down for a second, and you'll see."
The Igors looked all at the same time, just to see a tiny, cute rabbit intent on eating a piece of... "Is that a finger?" Igor asked, to which Clydas' grin widened to an impossible extent. "My dears," he said, in an explanatory manner, not unlike a teacher. "Meet the Vizzerdrix" as he said, the tiny rabbit sprouted huge, sharp piranha-like teeth, along with arms and legs. "He is half rabbit, half piranha, a little more. My own making." the Igors tried to shoot the thing, but it was extremelly fast. "Isn't it lovely? It feeds on flesh."
Clydas Omega left the Madness Test with a cute rabbit in his hands. The Igors outside went in to clean up the mess. What else coudl they do? Anyone else going in would only be more fodder to the creature. He pinned his tag on the collar of his impecably white labcoat and entered the convetion. This should be fun.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Inside the Moot
"Look at all these people, Vizz!", Clydas talked to the creature, looking awed. "Soo many people to kill! So much to destroy!" the little monster grumbled something unintelligible, and Omega agreed. "Okay, but don't leave tracks back home. I hate when they come with the torches."
At that, Clydas dropped the monster, who promptly grew a pair of almost-human legs and ran away to do mischief. "Now let's see here..." The Scientist said to himself, looking at the map he was given. "Oh, great! That's what they must have named me for: 'The best Mutant Fish'. I better get going..."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:15 am 

Rose looked around.

Then she took a deep breath, and pulled out her phone, selecting one of her contacts.

"Hello, Rand? I'm at the moot- no, I wasn't supposed to be here yet. There was a problem with the hotel. Do you know a good one in the area? The one I was staying at apparently has really bad securit- DON'T TOUCH THAT!"

Her pistol cracked, sending a bullet through the hand of someone who had been trying to pour some sort of powder onto one of her bags. The recipient looked a bit startled- a lot of Mads were not particularly comfortable with the direct approach, or the idea of high precision, high velocity chunks of metal.

"...is there any way you can come help me? I don't know if you're busy right now or not..."

There were so many PEOPLE here and no order and she really hoped Rand could help.

~Elsewhere~

...well. That was a reason to cut the lecture short, although it was probably less than ideal. "Jeeeen-Jen? Is Rose on the schedule for right now?"

"...the tone of voice you are using implies that it is time for my break." Jen-Jen flipped through her data tablet, looking at her outline for the convention. "Explosion, fire, explosion, explosion, laser duel, explosion... Freddy's speech is tomorrow. She's not supposed to be here until then."

Burn's eyes were out of focus as she paid attention to something else. "...so she shouldn't be sitting on her suitcase, fuming, over by the petting menagerie?"

"Lookatthatit'stimeformybreak. Since I'm off duty, you go talk to Rose."

"...ok?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:08 am 
New Madsci

Brian Roth looked around the testing tent. There were the same group of tools he had left in the testing bunker. But the tent was a bit more spacious.

"So, the objective is to build soemthing", Brian said. "Well, there are a few things that I've always wanted to try. Do you suppose I could get some sheet metal?", he asked, eyeing the power supply for an arc welder.

The Igors looked at each other, then back to Brian. "Of course, shir. How much will you need?"

"Oh, say, 3000 square feet of sheet aluminum, 5 mils thick to start with", Brian said blithely, expecting to be told to work on something less ambitious.

"We certainly could", the Igors said, looking at each other.

"What, really?", Brian said in surprise. "... Okay! Now about that arc welder - I'm going to need a bigger power supply, and we'll need two contact heads mounted on rails - one on the inside and outside of the tanks we will be constructing - do you guys have steel girders anywhere? I thought I saw a drill back there, and a pile of 3/4" bolts. Now where would the socket bits be?" Brian started digging through the tools.

Bit by bit, an unusual structure was erected in the tent. The flickering light of an arc welder could be seen under the tent folds. Igors came and went with tools. Occasionally a truck would drive up and unload. A larger tent was erected next to the first.

Inside, Brian was deep in the process of his work, almost oblivious to the fact that it was actually happening for real, instead of just in an idle daydream. He suddenly looked up at the bell nozzle exterior that was being lowered onto a corrugated channel shell by a crane hoist. He glanced back at the brazing torch nozzle in his hand, then back up at the bell nozzle.

"Wow! That is actually a very complex piece of work, extremly difficult to get right, or so I've read - it looks ... it looks exactly right. You guys are *good* at this!", he exclaimed. "... Just one thing: why would you go along with all my ridiculous ideas? This must be tens of thousands of dollars worth of material and equipment."

One of the Igors suddenly rushed up to Brian. "But your work, sir! It's not ridiculous at all, is it? Weren't you telling us about breaking the bonds of gravity and sailing the void of space? Is that not *worth* the effort?" He eyed Brian cautiously. He showed *some* of the signs, but these periodic lapses, where mundane lucidity returned and the subject realized with embarrasement the audacity of what was being attempted, were jeapordizing the completion of the work. And that wouldn't do at all. He must be prodded.

"The work!", Brian said, attention returning to the design. "Well, it must happen someday. Why not today? Well, gentlemen, our good ship is a beautiful piece of work, but it's just a pile of tankeage and pressure vessels still. Next, let's work on the engine! We'll just have to clear a ... oh - it's already set up. You guys *are* good at this!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:17 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

There is a rushing whisper heading towards the entrance to the Moot, the type of resounding hush that can only be made by something impossibly huge. Water begins to run down roads and over grass. It pools around the Madness Test tents until it becomes a shimmery layer smelling of strange chemicals and sea salt.
A woman and a giant octopus ride into view atop an enormous creature, part crab and part Xyon City park, while directly above a large and perfectly circular blue cloud pours sheets of saltwater over them. At this point things make about as much sense as anyone can hope for.
"If you hadn't eaten the invitation we wouldn't have have had to wander all over town to find the place," Dr. Beard complained to an inattentive Mimic, who was debating the edibility of half-drowned squirrels. In the background a radio whose lineage could be traced primarily to the Hexacorallia reported on the freak flash floods throughout downtown Xyon, some of which had been accompanied by a rain of tiny herring. "I do hope we'll be able to get in without it. Condemning the volunteers to a watery grave right at the gate seems like poor form to me."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:22 pm 

Francine smiles slightly at 'Lady Nightshade'. "Charmed', she drawls, one hand lifting to stifle a dainty yawn. "So, your first Moot?"
Lady Nightshade raises one elegant eyebrow. "What makes you say that?"
"Oh, I'm familiar with most of the experienced mads, villains, and heroes, dear, so I assumed you were a newbie?", Francine asks in an artless tone. "I'm known as ChicGeek-perhaps you've heard of me. So, which are you? Mad, villain, or hero?"
Francine takes a sip of her hot tea to hide her grin. Well, Maria did say to test her a little...

Rand smiles as his sharp ears pick up the sound of gunfire in the background. "I'll be right there, doll. Just hang tight." The blue jaeger lopes easily through the crowd, making his way to Rose.
Ah, Rose. So fight-y and fierce, lovely as her namesake. She can give him a smile that makes his heart melt, then scowl at a fool annoying her, sending precisely aimed bullets and curses his way. And Ditz is sweet and fun, and Madness, oh the thrill and challenge of her! The knives and traps and the sheer chaos she spreads! And Scientist...well, he respects her, but wisely realizes if he wants her to tolerate him at all, he should leave her alone. And if any two of them team up, well...Rrow!
A woman like her makes him not mind having the Dictator as his future father in law.
"Hey, Rose." Rand casually kisses her cheek. "Let's get your stuff to another hotel. And as long as you're here, want to walk the Moot with me? Oh, I picked up a little something for you. Found a chem lab that packs down into this." He holds up a small black cosmetics case. 'Thought maybe you'd find it handy."

Penny Bright is carrying a valise smelling strongly of salt water, while Rexie the giant Bat-Wolf pads fiercely beside her...Okay, as he frolics beside her. How can something that looks so fearsome be so..goofy?
An orange tentacle extends from the valise and waves around, and Penny smiles. "I'm sure to win the best mutant fish award this year!" After all, a Koi-Octupus facehugger? She'll be a shoe in!

Penny's jaw drops at seeing the mad with her giant octopus. Riding a giant crab. An immense crab. An enormous crab. With her own cloud of seawater hovering overhead.
Chirruping is heard from Penny's valise, as a small tentacle snags an errant herring. "Momo hugs?"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:14 am 
Heh heh heh.

Lady Nightshade smiled a little. This was fun already. "Let's say I'm a villain, today," she replied, nonchalantly. "Tomorrow, I'll be something you'll never see coming." Extending a hand for a first-meeting handshake, MN added, "As for why you're not... familiar with me, let's say that my best work is done out of sight, and out of mind."
It'd be interesting to hear (and see) Chic's response to that...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:41 pm 
New Madsci

" - so then von Braun was like 'We aim for the stars! But sometimes we hit London instead'", Brian said laughing. The Igors believed it was only polite to laugh along. Brian paused. "Wait, why am I laughing? That was awful."

One of the Igors tugged on his sleeve and pointed to the floor of the testing tent. Brian glanced down at the water pooling on the floor of the tent, over to the machine power supply, and from there to the LIQUID HYDROGEN TANKS! "Gaah!", he exclaimed, and ran for the breaker switch. "Shut it off! Shut it *off*!" He grabbed the rather antique and somewhat dangerous wooden-handled contact switch and pulled down plunging the tent into darkness.

"What on Earth? Is it raining or something?", he poked his head out of the front of the tent, and spied a woman riding a giant crab. He glanced up at a torrent of water that was pouring out of a portal in the sky. Nevermind how surreal it all was, it was interfering with the project! Brian went over and tugged on one of the crab-monster's feet. "Umm, excuse me? Could you close your portal, ma'am? It's sort of shorting out my equipment in there."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:10 pm 

~Rose~

"Thank you, Rand." The box was a bit bright, but, well, it was from Rand, and it was mostly just folding anyway. Besides, it was a chemistry set. That Rand had gotten for her. "Can we drop my bags off at the hotel room first? I'm worries that something will happen to them if they stay here."

People at the Moot did not tend to be good at respecting other people's belongings. Or personal space, for that-

Arms grabbed her from behind, forcing her into a hug. "Hi, Rose!"

If she hadn't recognized the voice, she would have used the gun again. As it was, she pulled the hands off herself. "Burn, don't do that! You're just lucky I knew it was you."

Burn had at some point learned a very good 'sad, disappointed' look. Rose sighed. "Well, don't be so sudden about it. Rand, you remember Burn, right? Arthur's daughter?"

"Hi, Rand." Burn waved, still a bit shy around him, especially after their first meeting. "I'm better at etiquette now, and Papa made me promise to use my mallet if-"

"We're going to a hotel now, Burn. My suitcases had a problem at the last hotel."

Burn thought for a moment. "Oooh! Ok. That's good! Then I can go deal with the giant crab!"

"...you should probably leave that to the convention staff. Rand, the hotel you're thinking of doesn't have a giant crab, right?"

~Jen-Jen~

The problem with being on break was that everyone simply assumed you hadn't noticed the giant crab yet. Granted, it was a bit camoflaged, but still. It was just Dr. Geneve Beard and a huge aquatic monster causing flooding at the main entrance. Maybe people would calm down once Mimic had gotten a badge.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:26 pm 

Rand nods at Burn, as he easily scoops up Rose's luggage, balancing a heavy case on one shoulder like it was weightless.
"Hi, Burn. Is this your first moot? Probably a good thing you have your mallet." He flashes a fang laden grin at her.
"Rose, we'll go to my hotel. It isn't fancy, but it's close, and no giant crabs. If they don't have any more rooms, you take mine. I can always hang out with Igor if need be. He and I started comparing notes on henching one year, and we meet up every Moot now." Rand shrugs. "It'll work out. Wanna get some lunch after we stow your luggage? I'm craving seafood for some reason..."
Rand is very glad Rose chose to attend the Moot instead of the comic convention. That one year he had to accompany Freddy to the posiverse..'comic-khan', was it?, was one big headache. Apparently some character called 'Nightcrawler', sports the same blue skin and dark blue hair.
There's a reason jaegerkin from both the posi and nega verses avoid those things like the plague.

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:02 pm 

-Igor and Igor-

Igor had stepped outside of Brian's construction tent to sneak a smoke. He still wasn't fond of that New Igor, but at least he agreed that Brian was rather useful when he was focused on something. "Well, he's passed the madness test, more or less. Why are we still holding him here?" He looked over at Igor, who was puffing a cigar next to him.

Igor pulled his cigar out of his mouth and looked back at Igor, who had a cigarette pursed in his lips. "The New Igor seems to think we can get him to build that thing. You know, the engine for that giant rocket they've got embedded in the convention center?"

Igor nodded back, lighting his cigarette. "Yeah. Weird, embedding that thing in the earth. Aren't rockets supposed to be pointed up?" he shrugged. "Hey, you call him New Igor too? Weird."

Igor pulled his cigar back and blew a smoke ring. "Well, he IS new. Kinda creepy, too. You hear he honestly thinks we can get Lady Rose to make the fuel for that rocket?"

Igor raised an eyebrow. "He's crazy. Even if she DID, what's the point? Why would you make fuel and an engine for a rocket that's already crashed into the ground? Just seems loony to me. Eh, whatever. Igors don't work against each other." He shrugged. "Oh, hey. I think they're going to get him to try and build the engine now."

-------------------------------------

-The New Igor-

It walked forward, feet just narrowly avoiding touching the ground. It was still getting the hang of walking, and hadn't yet realized that the tactile contact with the surface below you was part of the whole experience. It looked up at Brian, only one eye pointing at him. "Excellent. Now, to complete your madness exam." It reached into it's jacket and pulled out a blueprint that probably was too large to fit inside. Emblazoned on the front were mathematical formulae, schematics and material lists for a very big, very powerful engine. "You must construct this. Materials will be provided for you. Begin."

-------------------------------------

-Elsewhere-

A tall, blond-haired henchman approached Dr. Beard. "Miss, do you have a permit to bring that giant crab around in the convention? Otherwise I'm afraid we're going to have to peacebond it's claws for the duration..."

Watching from the second floor, a man named Vorpelmeyer scowled. "...Beard." His hand curled into a fist. He shook it, mostly as a reflex.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:40 pm 

Nimble orange tentacles work in a blur. The latch is deftly undone, and the small creature inside climbs out. And immediately starts scuttling on its stubbly flipper feet towards the giant crab. Momo waves tentacles at the giant octopus, and chirrups at him.
<"Hihi!">
A flabbergasted Penny runs after her creation. "MOMO! Come back here! MOMO!"

Rand's eyes light up at the giant crab-maybe he'll have to wrestle it to get by! Then he sighs. He's toting Rose's luggage, and besides, the area outside is more than a little flooded. Rose wouldn't like slogging through that.
"...Would you rather go the long way around to the hotel? Drier, fewer crabs, but more people."
Better not mention the marmots.

Francine smiles, thinking of the little byplay that just went down with 'Huntress'. Heh. Whatever Maria's up to, it should be interesting.
They need to make plans. She's looking forward to the awards ceremony.
In the meantime-she taps a passing Igor on the shoulder.
"I'm considering hiring an Igor. Is there a hiring booth, or do you just spread the word?"

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 pm 

~Rose~

Rose sighed. The moot was not something she enjoyed in the slightest. At least she would 't have to come back until tomorrow.

"...through the water, I think. Fewer people is preferable. And my feet will dry. The crab will-"

"I can deal with it!" Burn ran by, holding a heavy wooden mallet. "I think that's part of my job!"

Rose blinked. "...isn't she a bit young to have a job?"

~Jen-Jen~

Someone else was dealing with the crab. Probably.

"I'm sorry, Miss, but if you're a minor you MUST have permission from your creator to run a panel. I don't know who okayed this, but we're going to have to refund your money and cancel it."

The younger girl scowled. "I want to do a candy sciences panel! A whole bunch of people told me they wanted to see the spun sugar deathray design!"

~Burn~

There was a person on top of the crab. Using her running start and the mallet as leverage, she vaulted herself into the air, catching on one of the trees and using it as leverage to get further up.

Bleh, saltwater...

"Excuse me? You're currently blocking the entrance. Could you move out of the way while your badges and permits are sorted out?"

Something would have to be done about all this water, too...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:35 pm 

Last year, when Dr. Beard was asked to let the staff peacebond her various pets/weaponry, all of the glass in a three mile radius was shattered and people were still finding confused, angry hoversnails in the corners of their closets weeks later. This year she filed the permits. Wordlessly handing two of ten copies of said permits to people she assumed were Moot staff, she regarded the fellow who had complained about the flooding quizzically.
"...You mean to say you haven't waterproofed this device of yours?" she asked at last, in the sort of tone tech support might use to confirm that you really had stripped all of the wires on your laptop charger and were upset about being shocked while handling it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:05 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

The door closed, and (nega) Herr stood there a moment, wondering what the point of it all was. He shrugged and walked over to a table full of chemicals.
Hmm. These are a bit volatile to just be sitting- Hellooooooooooo.
Igor came in to find that all of the parts had quietly been stacked into a tower, which was leaning precariously over all of the beakers of chemicals. Herr was sitting on top, waving at Igor with a big grin on his face. The tower started to top, and Herr hopped off, landing and rolling to a standing position in front of Igor as the machinery landed on the chemicals, causing a massive explosion. “Ta daaaa!”
Igor, rather peeved, handed him his badge and directed him to the moot proper. Herr looked around, taking in all of the details.
Giant crab? This year is going to be fun!
He grinned and set off into the moot, looking for mischief and some new tricks.
A tent? This seems interesting. Ah, dark in here. Better rearrange a bit.
The Igors in the dark tent heard an awful squelching sound and a muttered curse, then saw a pair of green spots wandering around the tent accompanied by a voice.
"That's a LOT of liquid hydrogen, ohhhhhhhh yes!"
A lot of fun indeed, this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:40 pm 
Heh heh heh.

As a disappointed candy-themed Mad walked away from where Jen-Jen was standing, Lady Nightshade approached her.

"Um, kid?" she said, crouching so she'd be at eye level with the girl. MN'd decided against calling her "Ms. Cadbury" right off the bat, because that'd spawn the inevitable how-do-you-know-my-name question, and then she'd be sunk.
The girl looked back at her, silently.

"What if I told you," said MN, smiling, "that there was a way I could help you get a panel, and demonstrate your creations to the world at large?"
"What is it?" asked the candy-Mad girl, eyes widening only slightly.

Lady Nightshade smiled. "Well, it's simple. If you're interested, there'll be some... shenanigans a bit later. But for now, here's what we'd have to do...

~~~~~

Some Time Later

Maria Narbon approached Jen-Jen as she was busy telling off a tennis-themed Mad for wrecking everything in sight with a superball-filled tennis ball.

"Excuse me," she said to Jen-Jen, "I understand that there is an aborted panel on the candy sciences, where the timeslot and raw materials are still there. I was wondering if I could apply to run such a panel..."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:24 pm 

~Jen-Jen~
"...you can run a panel on crystaline-sugar deathrays? Well, even if you can't, anything on candy sciences would be better than what we have now. A lot of people registered for that one." Lady Nightshade knew candy sciences? Well, that was... interesting. And useful information. Jen-Jen pulled out her handheld computer. "Just sign here, and if you want to re-name the event or change the description, you can alter these fields and I can approve it now."

~Dr. Cadbury~
She didn't have most of her equipment, but there were still a FEW things she could do... The cotton candy kit was small enough that it had fit in her suitcase, so she could use that. She approached a group of teenagers- she couldn't tell if they were Mads or henches, but it didn't really matter.

"Excuse me, would any of you like to try a free sample of the cotton candy I'm developing?"

Hmm, she felt like she was forgetting something. The registration forms had mentioned some sort of quiz attendees were supposed to take upon arriving, and between the giant crab and her shortcut through the fence, she wasn't sure if she'd taken it yet. Well, if it was important, someone would let her know.

~Burn~
She looked over the giant crab paperwork. It seemed to be perfectly fine. "Thanks, Miss! Not everyone is so organized. The Moot staff appreciates it!" From the top of the crab, she could certainly see a lot of the convention, too. Convenient. The flooding might be a problem, though. Maybe it would evaporate.

Ooooh, and it looked like Lady Nightshade was going to be running the candy sciences panel. Cool! Maybe she could sign up to be security for that one.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:25 am 
Mysterious Stranger

Clydas had been enthralled with the giant Crab-city-thing that had just arrived in the convention. God, that was awesome. He wish he had thought of something like that before.
Which sparked an idea in his head. He walked in an almost-run through the convention, and stopped the first Igor he could put his hands (or needles with paralysing poison) on. "Hey, I believe you can help me." he told the the stiff body on the floor. "You can still move your mouth for a few minutes, and the poison will only last a few hours, the dose was not lethal."
Igor seemed more annoyed than scared with the fact. "Yes sir, thank you sir. What exactly do you want, sir?" he asked in a monotone that hinted on an ease to deal with Mads.
"Ah, good, willing to talk." Clydas said, searching something through his pockets. "Where can I find biomechanical material? Is there a stand for that? Can I apply?"
"Sir, all Biomechanical Material is kept on the back of the convention due to the smells and noises of the engineered creatures. In the map you received, it's that part in slime-green." The Igor started feeling the inside of his mouth with the tongue, activating the tracking signal imbued in his teeth for the other Igors to come and help.
"Great," the boyish Mad said absently, opening the map. "I think will do just right..."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:45 am 

-The Sysadyne Demo-

"...and with that demonstration of the Sugarglass Shrapnel Shooter, our Applied Candy Sciences weaponry demo is complete! Wow, I feel sorry for anyone who got distracted and missed it, because you'll have to fork over some hard cash to see these weapons work now!" Unresting Eddie grinned. "Now let's move on. Our next weapon, moving out of our "Practical Equipment" field of products and into the "Unconventional" line of models, is a Clam Cannon. Yes, a cannon that fires bivalve molluscs at high velocities.. Conventionally, one loads this with Oysters, but nearly any bivalve mollusc can-"

"ABOLISH THE SEA!"

There was a loud outcry from someone in the audience. Unresting Eddie blinked. "Welp, THAT'S a new one. Never got an anti-oceanic protester in here. Alright, who was it? Come on, Sysadyne's got no time for this to get weird. Come one, the sooner we escort you out of here the sooner we can start demonstrating weapons again..." He clapped his hands as some of the Sysadyne Enforcement Officers stepped in front of the doors to the lecture room, looking through the audience.

(More to come tonight, I just wanted to write this bit and I'm out of time)

-Xin Yun