Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 41  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:40 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

[quote="chicgeek"...secrets are fun.[/quote]

Aren't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:15 am 

Quote-professor tinker-
"Reality warping around him obliginly"

I think we now know who Andrew inherited his power from...perhaps?

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:04 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

See, now you've got me wishing Wally had some dark family past, instead of the sitcom style home that seems to prevade whenever I try to come up with anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:33 am 

Eh, Dark family pasts are usually overrated.

Oh sure, they're fun to tell to others, but eventually some mysterious family member shows up and tries to kill you, or worse yet, expects you to do something, and you get dragged into some adventure as the unlikely hero and make friends with the oddest people and it ends up that you've invariably got some bizarre power locked inside you that ends up saving/damning the universe, and toward the end it just gets muddled with religious symbolism and overpowered villains and plot twists.

Err... not that I meant anything by anything... err...forget you heard that.

Prof. Tinker: That last bit about Eric was really poignant. Very stirring. I love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:57 pm 

Been hitting those RPGs a bit too much lately eh, Zobot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:24 pm 

I deny everything. Desius is lying. I have never played an RPG in my life. The computer is your friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:38 pm 

Trust the computer.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:09 pm 

Do you have clearance to think that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:22 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Quote-professor tinker-
"Reality warping around him obliginly"

I think we now know who Andrew inherited his power from...perhaps?

Bingo!! Between Eric's Quantum Physics, the Risk's rare 'common-sense gene', and the Twins in-depth knowledge of the Tropes that govern the world they live in, it;s very obvious where Tinker gets his skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:41 am 

Quote:
Eh, Dark family pasts are usually overrated.

Too true Zobot. After a while Thad's secrets are going to bite you all in the butt. Really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:00 am 

Uh Oh...

Methinks a certain henchman will eventually have a lot of explaining to do...

Best start warming up the Confesso-tron in the meantime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:46 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Well it is a bit obvious that Thad's secret is going to bite the people who know him in the butt, and possibly people who do not know much about him. Anyways Zobot, I do not think that you should be advising people to get something to make That Guy's character to confess, considering you are writing for an 'attempted' hero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:58 pm 

The Amazing Tinker Twins, and the Circus of Mystery.
Part Five-The plot thickens, or Mortimer regrets his new career choice.
A true story, written by Prof. A. Tinker, and Miss Chic

Two blond heads and one little furry one are bent together, conspiring. “Now, ve haff a few hours before ze zhow. Hyu know effreyone vill be on ze lookout for hyu two clowns. Do hyu haff anytink else hyu can wear?”
“Oh, I think we can manage something, eh Delta?”
“Indubitively. We should be wearing our labcoats for the final showdown, eh?
The mongoose rolls his eyes. “Oh, dat’ll be real inconzpicuoz. Hyu zientizt aren’t too beeg on common zenze, ya?”
“Now, Morty, do calm down.” Dr. Tinker grins.
“With your able assistance, I’m sure sneaking in will be a breeze.”
“Twin clownz, twin zientizt, vatever. Hyu don’t do zneaky very vell, do hyu? Just remember-I have ze keen zenzes of ze wild animal, and my magnificent brain, too. Zo ven I tell you timpit glumas to vatch out, hyu leesten to me, hokay?”
“Hokay…er, I mean, okay, Morty.”
“My, you are the little worrier, aren’t you?” adds Doctor Tinker.

Later, once the show is well underway, two slim figures in labcoats-(one wearing light blue, the other pale blue) slip past the tents and trailers. A small bewhiskered face peers out of Dr. Tinker’s pocket. “Zo far, zo gut.” It whispers. But zat open zpace ahead vill be tricky.
The Tinkers look at each other and grin. “Oh, I think we can manage this bit, eh Delta?” he murmurs. “Quite.” His brother replies dryly.
Dr. Tinker proceeds to run up the rope pegging the tent to the ground, grabbing and flipping his brother at the same time. They land noiselessly on a branch, leap to an overhead wire that has held nothing larger than a stray pidgeon, and run fearlessly across, flipping to an even slighter wire halfway across.He boosts Delta up on one hand to another branch.Delta flips, hanging by his heels, reaching a hand to Gamma. They start to swing, building momentem. Muffled squeaks are heard from inside his labcoat."One...two...now!" They fly through open space, soaring...then one reaches out and grabs a post. They swing rapidly around, descending, then break free to flip gracefully to the ground.

The mongoose is making a strangled noise.
“Told you it would be no bother, Morty,” Gamma says cheerily.
“You’ll just have to get used to it,” Delta adds kindly.
“For dis hy giv oop zhow biznez?” Mortimer mutters under his breath.
At last they are inside Dr. Pain’s magnificent personal trailer. “All right, Morty, you keep a look out while we search for plans.”
“Just hoot three times like an owl.”
“Do hyu zee featherz on me, timpit gluma?” Morty shakes his head, then makes a chittering sound. “Dat iz vhat mongoose zoundz like, hokay?”
The twins quickly get to work searching. “Oh, my, this is disturbing.”
‘Indeed-why are earth is there a zombie head, a vial of mutagen, and the secret recipe for kentucky fried chicken in his closet?”
“Best not to inquire too closely, brother.’
“I couldn’t agree more.”
“Zave der editorial commentz for later,” Mortimer hisses from the doorway.
Their search at last bears fruit. “Listen to this, Morty. Dr. Pain plans to induce the most horrible nightmares in the townspeople tonight.”
“And then harvest the malignmant miasma for his sinister purposes.”
“He’s going to play the cacaphonus calliope-it has special subsonic generators, you know.”
“And he’s given out free cotton candy tonight, laced with a sinister substance to make them more suggestible.”
“Enouf mit de alliteration, already! Do hyu have de plans?”
“Of course!”
“Is the coast clear, sidekick?”
“Ya,ya,” the mongoose says impatiently.”Let’z go, already!”

Morty leaps back upon Doctor Tinker’s shoulder as they make their leave. As they step out, eyes shine out from the darkness. A bloodchilling growl is heard to their left, then another echos it on their right.
“What was that about the keen senses of a wild animal, Morty?” Dr. Tinker says quietly.
“And don’t forget his magnificent brain.” Doctor Tinker adds dryly.
“…..Oops…”

C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: The Story
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:16 am 

Alright, you people came up with it, here it is. This what happens when you take youse guy's ideas, put 'em in a blender, and drink whatever comes out.
Enjoy.
-------------------------

The teenager was silent for the moment, preferring to sit in the farthest corner of the hospital bed, away from the man sitting in front of him.
The changed was marked. His bright blue eyes sparked madly, and seemed to look through the world. His pale blond hair had gone from messy to 'hedgegog', and he was even paler than usual.
Eric Tinker was sixteen years old, and he had gone Mad. A section of the city part- now looking like a Dr Suess page made real- could attest to this.

Finally he spoke.
"....... so, we are just experiments. Just like I worked out. everything.. our lives, our personalities. They're faked. We were made." he said softly, looking like he was about to cry.
.. again. He had been crying when he got here. Oh, god, that hadn't been pleasant.

"No. I mean, yes, but no. You- you and your brothers- you are- were- an experiment. But you're not fake. You;re people. Real, honest, wonderful people. I- I wish I could have seen you grow up. Gamma and Delta were great kids.... I guess that did a good job with you."

Eric looked up, eyes glinting oddly in the light.
"You.. you made us, didn't you?" he said, a little of the sorrow on his face giving away to wonder.

"I... yes. I wasn't alone, but yes. I was the lead Biologist for Project Tinker. Um, before you ask- stop glaring at me- it dosn;t stand for anything. We just liked the way it, um, sounded. Like Tinker toys, you know?"

"... I got a box of those from Santa when I was five."

"... I know. That was me. I- I sent you guys a lot of stuff, over the years." he said softly, smiling quickly.

Dr. Io was a nervous fellow, tending to fidget constantly in his seat, almost in a pattern. Blink, crack knuckles, look around room, swipe at hair, blink, crack knuckles, etc, etc. He was... familiar looking. Blond (grey-streaked, however), thin, tall, pale, the only odd thing being green eyes rather than blue.
... he looked like.. a Tinker. A bit different, older, but...

"You're our creator?" he said suddenly, blinking.

"Um, well, I- yes. Yes, indeed."

Eric blinked. he was still a little... raw after everything. He had expected an assistant, someone who didn't really have all of the answers.
Not the man who made him. And as for that not- not someone who had sent him toys. And the other 'Santa' gifts- The twin's collage fund?
Io smiled slightly and scootched his chair forward, crossing his arms.
"M-Maybe I should explain." he cleared his throat slightly, and began.

"Thirty years ago, had an Idea. A really, Really Good Idea: The World needs more heroes, hey! I should see if I could help with that! That was the easy part. I'm Mad. Not the best, but I am. Mostly, I just fiddled around with little projects- useful things. Small things. But this, this was big. I knew it could be the most important thing I could ever do.
I needed help, And I needed Funding. Both of these were easily available in only one place; the government.
They were more than wiling to fund my project; although I suspect that they figured that they were just paying to keep a Mad out of their hair and working for them.
The trick? I found it. Madness it's self- Science Related Mimetic Disorder, I suppose - is well documented. It;s cause, It's development, even the genome's position. All thanks to Dr. Tinasky- Gods bless him/her, wherever he/she is.
But I found the difference between 'Bad'-Memeticly focused on destroying, taking over- and 'Good'- Mimetically focused on Helping, Protecting. It's not very clear- but it is genetic. at least partially."

"How- How did you?"

"Hee! It's easy when you have both pieces of the puzzle. I have one part- My Mad genome is primarily 'Good' coded- probably from my mother, whole other story.
The other part came from my parter, Dr. Viktor. He- um. Well, he was- is i guess, 'Bad'. Classically so- he even had a 'Moose-stacheeoh'- he even said it, just like that. He worked with me when we started the project to pay off his community service. He, um, he ended up providing a healthy chunk of you, Delta and Gamma's genetic material too."

" I gathered- he sounds like as big a ham as the Twins"

"If not bigger. - think Snidely Whiplash meets Inspector gadget's evil twin, with a shot of The Grinch for good measure- He'd start rhyming. Eesh.
Anyways, with the info we had, the government finally started paying attention to us.
The only thing now was to try and do what I set out to do- put more heroes into the world.
See, the 'Bad' and 'good' genomes are both present in every mad, technically both paths open until the moment they go from 'latent' to 'mad'. Then, one or the other activates- actually changing the DnA slightly! Just a little bit, but enough to make a difference.
And the kicker? 'Bad' is dominant. So, my goal was to create humans with the 'Good' side Dominant instead, in the hopes of halting the dominance of Evil mad Science naturally- via um, well, let's just say that I hope one of the twins gets a girlfriend soon."

"You and me both."

"Right. Well, anyways, here we ran into a snag. It turns out that the genomes that control Madness are- well, stubborn. Seriously- there's still an government office building missing a floor and a half in area 42."

"Aria Forty-"

"- yeah. Apparently there's a lot of Douglas adams fans in the CIA. Go figure.
About a month after we hit the wall, we got lucky. A Unidentified Flying Object crashed into a section of kentucky, scattering it's self across about a square mile. No technology survived- nor did the pilot. Except a small fragment of unidentifiable metal inscribed with what seems to be a numerical sequence in Italian and *just* enough genetic material clinging to various local matter to work with.
Because, you see, whatever this being was, it's species has Madness in it. Just like ours."

For a moment, both Dr. Io and Eric were silent, each musing on that fact.

"..Thats- that's oddly comforting." said Eric softly.

"It is. And we know a little more about them than you think. See, whoever- wherever they are, they donated most of your genomes. Their genetics were- oddly human-like, and very malleable.
And, um, well, my DNA- there's no-one with blue eyes in my family. Or in Dr. Viktors. The only other source for blue eyes is... well. You see what I mean."

I'm from the stars. Thought Eric, his head suddenly feeling less.... overwhelming. I'm from the stars. part of me is from the stars, and part of me is this nervous man in front of me who wanted to Do Good.
.. and apparently a man with the personality of a cartoon villain, but thats fine too.

Io coughed slightly and started again

"After we worked out the sequences, we made our first attempt."

"Delta and Gamma?"

"Nope. Alpha-Particle and Beta-Quark. They, um, well, we believed that they weren't going to work out, due to a odd bit of random accident causing them to get the 'evil' genome dominate. So, well, They took so much work, and I could finish everything else by myself, so- Dr.Viktor was gone with them by the next day. I-ah, officially was shocked.
You, well, you know the rest. I made your brothers, slight variations upon the same code. Then, some years later, I made you.
I- I wasn't- I mean, for the purpose of- I wish i had taken care of you. If-if I had insisted.. but I'm technically still on the project. Keeping funding going for the twins, making sure that you can live your lives. I- I heard that you figured enough out to- I'm sorry.
I Figured i had better explain. "

Eric nodded, thinking.
"so... Why 'Richard'?

"heh. several bad chemistry jokes, staying up to late, and too much tang. Also; everything makes more sense when delivered in melodramatic rhyming format."

"Hee!"

Eric ended up never telling Delta and Gamma the whole truth. It didn't matter, anyways.
Dr. Io kept in contact with his odd 'sons', and even got to meet Andrew. He keeps to himself, mostly just tinkering around with little projects here and there.

Alpha and Beta are still out there. They got to meet their brothers... once. heh. heh. heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:34 am 

Ooh, now I want to read about Alpha Particle and Beta Quark! Yes, I am greedy.
Good show, Tinker.

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:42 am 

In case something comes up or the story prevents me from doing this. I wanted to post what I think the first part of the showdown between Des and Narbon would be like. The second would be rather painful, and violent, and really bad for Des, but hey, I get the suspicion he would enjoy it.

Des bared his teeth in a forced grin, flashing Tinker a look. "You deal with your Mom." Des's hand slipped into his coat. "Narbon's mine."
Narbon gloated, smiling as she stood over the Tinker twins, waiting for the next challenger. Too easy, experience told her... she winced as the static increased in her mind, proximity rising as she could feel Des coming, an anger flooding the link between them.
Pellets flew and landed at her feet, smoke blossoming around her in a thick hazy cloud. Lightning snapped, scortching a burn mark into the pavement were she had stood, Narbon already charging forward, pulling a small metal orb from her coat and flicking a switch. Lightning snapped again, sending a jolt through her as she flinched, the metal orb bouncing into the air as the eletricity paseed through it and down her arm. The air tasted of ozone, and sparks flew as the lightning struck again sending the ball skidding across the pavement. Jane rubbed her arm, eyes narrowing as she held his eyes, Des giving a playful shrug, the smoke dissipating around them in the breeze.
The gun gave a small chirp, flashing red, the charge having been depleted, as Des charged, Narbon's face cracking with a small smile as she moved ever so slightly.
Crap. Des thought too late to move, Jane grabbed his arm, shifting under him, pulling him off balance as she turned, hip tossing him into the ground at her feet. Des bounced with a heavy thud, his breath rasping from his chest as Narbon drove her palm down to end this. Des moved with her, rolling with her arm and sending her to the ground as she rolled away into a crouch and whipped around. Des pulled himself to his feet, barely knocking aside a strike as Jane closed the distance quickly seeking to press her advantage. Des gasped, his lungs tearing at air as she slipped under his guard and knocked his breath from his lungs. Des dropped to his feet gasping half breathes as she stood above him smirking. "Nice try." she laughed, a twinkling sound that sent shivers to his toes and stepped in for one last strike. Des sucked air, his feint a success, his eyes hard as he fell to the side, watching her palm move closer to his face. He had a movement to enjoy the look of suprise spreading across her face before her palm glanced off his shoulder, his arm aching from the shock. He snaked his arm around hers and pulled.
Jane tumbled in the air, landing heavily on her face as his leg wrapped around her arm, locking her in position. She had only a moment to notice the small, almost tiny revolver held in his other hand slipped from who knows where, braced against the arm levering her into the ground. Her eyes widened, the flare of the shot making her blink back tears, the gunshot loud and violent as she felt her plans fail as the bullet tore through her.
Des watched the ragged gasp of terror with a chilled expression. He watched the confusion pass into shock as she watched the tiny smoking hole near her face, instead of feeling the pain of an imaginary wound, her tears snapping into a burning fury. "You're a sneaky manipulative %$#@." Des said firmly, "So am I."
He knew she would hurt him for this, and despite his bravado, he wouldn't be able to stop her. Worth. Every. Moment. God, she was beautiful when she was angry.

Post subject: let's just say that I hope one of the twins gets a girlfrie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:42 pm 

Oh, my poor henchman....
A crush on Narbon. Couldn't you find a safer way to spend your time? Wrestling tigers, a refreshing dip in the pirana pool, juggling exploding balls of acid, something sane and simple like that?
Hee.
Looking forward to the battle. And hope you get feeling better soon, Desius.

On a totally unrelated note-Tinker said, in his tale of Eric's madness-
" let's just say that I hope one of the twins gets a girlfriend soon."

The perfect one sprang into my brain unbidden. I won't write her, I need to work on my own character's backstory. But, hee.

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:03 pm 

Eh, for some reason I find it absolutely hilarious that he's got a crush on the person who's, so far, beat him up, injected him with a cure that he didn't want at the time, brainwashed him and wouldn't so much as comment on his crushed body as actually notice him. Besides it's how he'd rationalize the commands she's placed in him, though he doesn't remember any of them. It's going to get funny how every times he's around her, he's going to do something to get her to notice him, often to her irritation or annoyance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:18 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Isn't it obvious? Once JN cottons on to the fact that Desius has a crush her, she'll figure out how to fake the emotions going over that link, then start using Desius for all he's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:33 pm 

Oh-ho! I smell a little bit of a challenge here.

Des may not be Mad, or able to do some pretty crazy things anymore, but he is still a crafty son of a gun. And I keep warning you, he's just as devious in his own way.
One last warning, Des, even without understanding the link between them, can still use it too.
And be careful of hiding behind a mask, even if you only use it to control another person. Wear any mask too long, and it ceases to be a mask at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:52 am 

Des-Ahem. Just-
Clap.clap.clap.clap.clap. (Insert applause sounds here.)

Chic also has the habit of turning those close to her into family. She's smart enough to realize why she does, but it just makes her shrug.
The Des/Chic relationship is spot on. And I shudder to think how the Narbon storyline will play out. As firmly as Chic is convinced she herself is not a nice person(there's a great deal of backstory I've never written), she can't match Narbon's evil cunning. Chic herself may not realize this...

Anyway, well done. Get bored more often, okay? :D

C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:55 am 
Heh heh heh.

Desius wrote:
Des: Ah yes, Des has had an interesting and tragic childhood. This is probally the main reason he doesn't fear Narbon. He thinks of her as a spoiled rich kid. In his mind, she's only cashing in on her family name rather then earning it.

Be careful what you say... it may come back to bite you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:29 am 

Heh. I know it will, thats the point. He doesn't know any better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:46 pm 

.... hee hee hee!!!
Oh, this is *so* perfect. *cackles evilly*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:47 pm 

Wait, what?

Well, if you're talking about the interviews, I agree. They ARE perfect.

We should totally bug the other players to each do interviews. I'd love to have a full set.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:05 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Wait, what?

Well, if you're talking about the interviews, I agree. They ARE perfect.

We should totally bug the other players to each do interviews. I'd love to have a full set.

I'm thinking about it-it's tough coming up with ideas. Hee, I love all the ones so far.

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:08 pm 

Hmm, I should do Fredric...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:24 pm 

I wonder, should we make a new topic for the interviews or keep them here in the Tales section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:29 pm 

I think that they count as tales Of Madness, but i dunno. Could be good as a New topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:30 pm 

Keep 'em here unless we get two more people joining in, I say.

If there's enough interest, it would warrant a new thread, but three people doesn't necessarily constitute "enough interest."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 41  Next