Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: And Peace Was Restored to The Time Stream
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:48 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

After a lot of thought, I've come to realize that the best thing I can do now, for my own peace of mind, is to finally cut this sucker loose. I don't have the time, energy, or the muster to continue running my chapter anymore, and at this point I'm just blocking the story from progressing under other peoples more suitable direction.

That being said, I've been a little awol in general. And to be honest, I know very well why, and it can be summarize like this: I've been playing the same characters for far too long. I don't think its egotistical to say that my writing has improved a great deal since when I was 16, and writing characters who's concepts I came up with back then ranges from a little boring to frustrating. And in many ways the game has gotten a little out of hand in terms of power creep and reasonable bulk of characters I've wound up writing- the idea that I'm responsible for that much of a games universe is not, I think, fair.

(For that matter, I think we could use a very serious re-examination of the current story arc organization since some chapters have been dropped and peoples schedules have changed, AND I would like to propose that as a group we kinda need a size cap limit, but these are separate issues that can be discussed as well later.)

All of these problems aren't really anyones fault, they've just kind of built up over the years. But I think over the course of the summer I've come up with a solution that will smoothly pass the reins onto the next story arc, will fix my own issues with writing these characters and scenarios, and allow the newest members of the Forum to have a smoother place in our current story.

I speak of a reboot. Not a hard reboot, where, say, you loose everything you had open, were working on, andthe computer makes some discouraged noises at you. This is a soft reboot.

The gist is like this: Every major story event that has occoured here has, unless all parties involved agree, occurred more or less as it did. IE the frankenstein grand prix, the mad sci convention, the red item madness, bluelight. Every characters relationship stays the same, and no one suddenly vanishes.

But some things will have changed- my characters will have changed. If other people want, theirs can have to. I will not change anything about anyone elses story, save for some differences based on my characters shifts.

I had always planned to use the Time Travel arc to allow myself, and others, to change continuity, but I think now I may as well be a little more direct.

The gist is we pick up with the Time Travel arc mysteriously finished, and some confusion as to just what happened- but hey, time travel, right? Ravel will be back in the present, as I have discussed would occour, waiting for time to catch up to him at a safe distance. I;d invite people to treat the last half of the chapter as a kind of large scale Noodle Incident, where no one is terribly sure what happened, but for comedies sake might occasionally know several details. Presumably during this time, the changes that I am making were caused and the time stream evened everything out to make sense.

Eventually, at some point in the future, we might even finish the story properly. Until then, we'd have some down time, with possibly a mini story, and then the next chapter.

On my end, I want to rehaul the characters I have to make them fun for me again, and I'd like to try and narrow my focus down to the core again in the future as much as possible (this doesn't mean not seeing secondaries, like extended Tinker family members, just a little less so on sideline M characters and such unless relevant.)

The most major shift will be to Andrew TInker. I want to put the fire back in him. And I want to make him more age appropriate- for some reason when I was 16 I thought someone who'd done everything in the world by age 25 made a lick of sense, and now its just not even that interesting for me. He's going to be aged up quite a bit, and a lot of events restructured around that. He'll be more of a pissant again like in the very early days. Fredric's personality will be roughly the same, but I;m aging him up and down at the same time- he's now about 13 outside and in, and his humanoid appearance reflects it.

There will be some other shifts- some of it will just be implementing things I;ve worked on in private chats with people (Xerox and Claire never lost contact after highschool), but they won't be as big. I;ll discuss them in more detail when I;ve gotten it all hammered out.

We've been at this a long time. A lot of weird decisions have been made to try and keep things in line with what we've done before. I think a chance to smooth some things down and restructure is a good idea. And I;d invite everyone who's considered changing details about their characters histories or personality to take the chance to. :)

Post subject: I'm For It
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:21 pm 
Heh heh heh.

I can see you've reasoned this out pretty carefully, and honestly, I think what you're saying is a very good idea. It'll give us a chance to re-examine how everything stands, introduce Sarah (who's been hanging around for a while now), and perform the sort of 'natural maintenance' that I believe the story kind of needs.
(I know I'd cool Jane's power level down a bit for sure. Power creep and all that.)

I heartily approve.

Post subject: Re: And Peace Was Restored to The Time Stream
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:17 pm 

I think we do need the down time between chapter nonsense happening-and I suggest there be a bridging post in the main chapter thread to kick it off. It'll be a good way to work out the kinks, establish the changes people have decided about their characters, bring in Sarah, introduce Gina and IF perhaps?, ect ect before the next chapter starts.
Plus, since I'm up to bat next, I'd like a brief time to review my notes, and also see if any of the proposed changes affect what I have planned.
For myself, Chic's past is ridiculously complicated, and too mary sue-ish. I know I want to change things a bit, but I haven't worked it all out yet. Hmm...
Anyway! I think this is an excellent idea, and I'm looking forward to what happens next. Do we want to hash out changes in chat, post our new ideas here, just dive into between chapter hijinks to show them, or some combination of the above?

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:52 pm 

I approve! I certainly mess around with continuity for Claire a lot, but it's harder with the Umbras (I reeeaally need to tweak some ages) so a chance to do some tweaking of my own would be nice!

Claire: And I need to have glomped Prim more between high school and moving Xyon!

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:51 pm 

Hmmm....Chic is still the result of a fling between her mom and Vladimir Viktor. Still the genetic experimentation by Lopez, Inc., thus the triplets still exist. Her and Vlad finding out about each other at the Mad Scientist Convention stands-her mom hadn't told her. Changes-her mom is alive, but has divorced Chic's stepdad. Who is a jerk, mysongynist, no love lost between him and Chic. Chic still runs off with Jess the summer before she goes to college, but more rebellious teenager than terrible backstories. Chic still gets an evil Uncle Ricardo Lopez. Because I'm keeping the evil munitions firm that's been around since forever, never know when you'll need a good conspiracy/villain someday.
I still like her being the mad mechanic, and radio/electricity expert. I'm still keeping how she went mad, with the sexist jerk who was the head of the department taking her research.
But...the whole child prodigy zipping through college and becoming a professor at age 19? That is a bit much. I haven't decided quite how I want to change that yet. I know it's acceptable for mads to declare themselves doctor this and professor that (which I'm sure cheeses off the ones who earned those titles) And she could have earned it, but I don't want to age her up that much.
Pondering.
And, right now I don't have changes to make to my other characters. I may try to rotate which ones I use more.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:14 pm 
Heh heh heh.

chicgeek wrote:
Do we want to hash out changes in chat, post our new ideas here, just dive into between chapter hijinks to show them, or some combination of the above?

Yes.

EDIT: Okay, been thinking. Jane's past will pretty much stay the same. The main changes applying to her will involve powering her down.

• Prehensile Hair Symbiote: Gone. One of those Dave-never-smoked things

• Martian Slime Clone: Heroic sacrifice. Jane doesn't talk about it.

• Lair: 5-7x smaller. Kinda cruddy now, and due for a remodel (the trapdoors stick). This will happen during downtime, so everyone will be able to help with destruction and rebuilding.

• Volume of personal possessions and devices: Less. I'm handling it by saying she takes apart old items to make new ones.

• Proficiencies: Refactored. Classic dependence on chem remains; lesser dabblings in bio (plants and such), but it's not her prime field. Has some mechanical ability as well, but it's focused very specifically on miniaturization and creating smallish, useful, often sneaky things. If a device has a computer in it, she will be able to use it but not program it. Any device too large (a car engine!) is a complete blind spot, and there's other, more arcane restrictions (she can't handle the high voltages that Chic most feels at home with, for instance).
Her primary and secondary abils really are Chem and Gadgets. Bio's just a hobby.

• Combat: Exclusive focus on close-range, backed up by high speed. More fragile; tuned more to a Glass Cannon. Still has blueLight emergency mode.

Last edited by Jane Narbon on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:18 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

I was going to use the time travel story arc to extend Mimic's lifespan (from tragically short to respectable for mostly-human society) anyway. Otherwise I don't think *much* else needs to be altered, though I would like the go-ahead for Dr. Beard to definitely work at the university now. Other things I have planned for them, I'd rather act out. Since I don't have any other (officially introduced) characters, that'll do for me.

I think this was the best thing to do. =) Little spring cleaning in the space-time continuum.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:35 pm 

I approve, and I'm really excited about this. I know there were a few changes I need to make to some of my characters.

I'll post more later. In many ways, this feels like a new beginning. :-)

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:41 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

well, not much of my characters will change. About the only thing I can think of is to officially acknowledge that James Umbra occasionally visits(see: breaks into) the Progressor's base to talk with his "little brother". Which of course is a set of time shenanigans all of itself.

on another, related note though: Yay plot progress!

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 pm 

oh! I do have one question. Regarding the between chapter bit: does anyone have dibs on running the mid-chapter after tinker's done with this one? If not I'd be interested in doing my God Emperors of Sumer Return! mid-chapter a bit earlier than initially planned.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:25 pm 

I've got nothing planned...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:28 pm 
Heh heh heh.

OK, so now that we've made the decision, how's this going to work? Are we going to just cut and start the downtime, or will there be a transition post ('a flash of light' or something bridgey like that) to smooth the way?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:53 pm 

I can't wait to get started!!! I'm looking forward to both between chapter randomness and the Gods of Sumer.
And, I thought about it and I'm not aging Chic up. She can still be the prodigy and all, but will have a narrower focus. Yep, keeping the mechanics/radio/electricity knowledge, and the Tesla fan girl schtick. But anything outside of that will be either incomprehensible or dismissed as irrelevant. She'd be more useless than a high school freshman in a chem lab, for example. Biology? Nope. She'll admire the things Wally and Andrew have done, but no aptitude or interest in the subject herself. And it's probably a good thing Prim invented Godfrey to be her personal AI for computer stuff. She's not quite Andrew being puzzled by doorknobs, but you get the idea. ^_^
So, easing up on her past as per my earlier post, keeping most of the Lopez, Inc. stuff, still whip schmot (hey, she was an experiment, I can justify it!), but her lack of interest in stuff outside her focus areas provides some measure of vulnerability and perhaps even a bit of comic relief when warranted.
And Jess is perfect as is. She'll just have had occasional run ins with Xerox all along before coming to Xyon, instead of that being the first time they'd seen each other since Bejing.

C Valente

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]