Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gizmos and Gadgets!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:06 pm 
Heh heh heh.

~ Shady Glen Technology Center ~

A blimp, holding several dozen cybernetic great apes and one slightly-irate Mad, hovered over the three buildings of the Shady Glen Technology Center. The Mad was none other than Morty Maxwell, the Master of Mischief! He began to speak:

“Listen up, you barrel of mechanical monkeys!! We are now floating over the Shady Glen Technology Center, ready to begin more mischief-making. I am preparing to take over as Head Scientist here, so that I can be in charge of all the research about science that goes on! I don’t want anyone getting any smarter than me, so I’m stopping all OTHER research!!"

The 'mechanical monkeys' listened intently.

"My spies tell me that one of those pesky Super Solvers has gotten wind of my plan, and is on the way to challenge me to a scientific duel of wits to win the position of Head Scientist! Ha!
"Now here’s my plan: I’ve set up 15 different races that the Super Solver will have to win before outsmarting me. But, before we race, the Super Solver will have to find the parts to build faster vehicles than mine! I’ve hidden the parts in the Center’s warehouses, and the science puzzles I’ve used to lock the doors will make things tricker."

One of the chimps— the slower models, bipedal instead of single-wheel, slowly drifted off into sleep mode.

"Just to make things even more challenging, I want you Cyber-Chimps— Hey! WAKE UP THERE! — I want you Cyber-Chimps to roam around looking for the best parts for me. Try to steal the parts that the Super Solver’s picked up as well. Just... stay away from those bananas! I don’t want any of you sleeping on the job!"

The sleeper, who had awoken with a start, guiltily hid a banana it had been chewing on behind its back. The chemical composition of bananas was something Morty Maxwell had not counted on when he decided to give his chimps an organic fuel system— it would send them into an immediate low-power mode until they were done processing the sweet fruit.

"Now! Let’s go!"

This was what the chimps had really been waiting for. In a big line, they and Morty dropped from the blimp doors onto the roofs of the Technology Center, acting to secure the buildings' corridors and hallways. The Master of Mischief smiled. No one would be able to stop him now!

He didn't notice the Super Solver, trekking through the parking lot to the first building door...

~ OK, So what exactly is this? ~

I have a copy of the edugame Gizmos & Gadgets!, by the Learning Company. I thought it'd be fun to make into a forum topic. Here's how this'll work:

1. The Shady Glen Technology Center has three types of races: Automotive, Alternative Energy, and Aircraft. There's five races in each category, and one from each'll be available at any one time.

2. I'll control the Super Solver, but you'll be telling me what to tell the Super Solver to do. Your options for a race are as follows:

Search the warehouse for parts: Each race centers around a certain type of vehicle, which must be constructed from parts scattered in the Technology Center's warehouses. This command will have the Super Solver find enough parts to make a working vehicle. Note that there are multiples of the same types of part scattered around the warehouse, but they may have different usefulness levels (for example, two car engines might be more or less powerful).

Toss a part: The Super Solver only has space to store two of each type of part at once, though there are four different versions of each part in the warehouse. If you already have, for example, two engines, and want another, you'll need to toss one. Tossed parts are sent back to the warehouse.

Build a vehicle with....: This is the moment of truth. You can specify what combination of stored parts are used— then it's off to the racetrack to hopefully show the Master of Mischief what for! The video will be recorded and linked from here— if the Super Solver wins, it's on to the next level. If not, it's back to the drawing board...

=======================================
RACE STATUS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aircraft L1 ~ Blimp

Envelope: [ ]
Engine: [ ]
Gondola: [ ]
Not painted; no decal

No stored parts.

Search for parts

Alternative Energy L1 ~ Pedal-Powered Racer

Body: [ ]
Gears: [ ]
Brakes: [ ]
Wheels/Tires: [ ]
Not painted; no decal

No stored parts.

Search for parts

Automotive L1 ~ Downhill Racer

Not painted; no decal

No stored parts.

Search for parts

Post subject: Re: Gizmos and Gadgets!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:10 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Blimp, search for parts!

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:56 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Quote:
Blimp, search for parts!

Search Results

2 Chimp-related incidents
The Super Solver was able to grab a bunch of stuff! Found:

Narrow envelope (uninflated), medium-thickness envelope (uninflated), blimp engine designed to be mounted in front of the gondola (x2), kit for gondola inside blimp's envelope, kit for rectangular gondola hung on wires, crate of yellow paint, crate of blue paint, rainbow decal, dragon decal.

Aircraft L1 ~ Blimp

Current configuration:
Not painted; no decal

Available Parts (pick one of each during build; decals and paint optional)
Envelope: Narrow, medium-thickness
Engine: Front-mounted
Gondola: Inside-envelope, rectangular on wires
Paint: Yellow, blue
Decal: Rainbow, dragon

Discard a part (this will let the Super Solver search for more parts)
Build a vehicle with...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

--> Discard a aprt, specifically the Decal!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:58 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Professor Zobot wrote:
--> Discard a aprt, specifically the Decal!

The rainbow decal was discarded. Note that in the future, you'll need to specify which instance of a part to toss, so "Discard the 12-HP engine" or "Get rid of the red paint".

The Super Solver went searching again, and found the Stars and Stripes decal to replace the rainbow decal!

Aircraft L1 ~ Blimp

Current configuration:
Not painted; no decal

Available Parts (pick one of each during build; decals and paint optional)
Envelope: Narrow, medium-thickness
Engine: Front-mounted
Gondola: Inside-envelope, rectangular on wires
Paint: Yellow, blue
Decal: stars and stripes, dragon

• Discard a part + search for replacements
• Search for a previously discarded part
• Build a vehicle with...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:21 pm 

Build a vehicle with...

>Narrow Envelope
>Front-Mounted Engine
>Rectangular-On-Wires Gondola
>Blue Paint
>Stars and Stripes Decal!

Then attempt to goad your nearest rival into a race.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:27 pm 
Heh heh heh.

The Blimp is made! Here it is:

And it's off to the races...

The Super Solver won!

Our blimp's optimality rating: 58%
The Master of Mischief's blimp's optimality rating: 47%

Congratulations! Now, there's only 14 races— 4 in Aircraft, 5 in Automotive, and 5 in Alternative Energy— left to complete!

==================================

RACE STATUS — Pick a race and search for parts!

Alternative Energy L1 ~ Pedal-Powered Racer

This vehicle is a cross between a car and a bicycle! Experimental pedal-powered vehicles have been made at real-life universities.

Gears: [ ]
Not painted; no decal

No stored parts.

Automotive L1 ~ Downhill Racer

This is the simplest race in the Automotive department. All the motive force will be provided by gravity this time around; it's up to the Super Solver to steer, and that's about it!

Not painted; no decal

No stored parts.

Aircraft L2 ~ Sailplane

This craft is a variant of the glider. It has no engine; instead, it is towed into the air, then left to catch updrafts and what air currents it may.

Fuselage: [ ]
Wings: [ ]
Controls: [ ]
Airfoil: [ ]
Instruments: [ ]
Landing Gear: [ ]
Not painted; no decal

No stored parts.