Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Eccentric Scientists and/or Professionals Friendly Skirmish.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

You realize, of course- said the air- that this will change things.

"I know. Of course I know. For gods sake, thats the point." the man was looking down, through space, and time. This eas a difficult thing to do, because, on reflection, he hadn't quite picked the right shoes for this. It was also a little difficult because time was fighting back. It was like holding ground while standing in an incoming tide, holding ground on wet sand as the waves ripped and tore at you.

It really will change. I mean, everything. Just being here is enough.

"I know, I know. But things will find a way, right? Cynical desire not to rely on you for these answers, I do need to know that. Things will find a way. Like Ravel said." he took off his coat, twisting it tightly in his hand- it took two flicks to anchor it in the waves of time, the spray not but almost completely like the oceans ripping at the fabrics edge.

You mean, will you know the same people, have the same relationships, be... the same person?

"More or less."

...well, yes. Sort of. By different routes. You won't always know people from the same times, in the same places... you won't always be the same person, for the same reasons. Some things won't happen, some things will happen different ways. Some people, or places, will be called different things.

He nodded, dragging himself forward, fixed down on the spot in the teeming surf.

"But the important things?"

Yes, Andrew. The really important things.

Only I won't be here.

The sounds were sucked away quickly there, in the spaces between time. But it was a little more silent.

"No?"

Afraid so. Thats the payoff. But I figured you'd be happy about that. I should have realized a lot sooner to leave well enough alone, and let you make your own decisions. I don't think I'd be so happy with this kind of situation.
You won't miss me.

He smiled, pulling himself, cursing as the red material ripped under his hands fromt he strain. Things spilled from the pockets, here and there. But they were things, and not important things.

"I think I will, a little. If I remember to. It wasn't all bad, all this time. But I hope you'll forgive me for finding the trade off worth it."

I'd be disappointed by anything else.
Thanks for being there with me while I grew up a little, Andrew. It's far past time for me to let you grow up, too. Any last requests, before it's goodbye?

The cloth held long enough for him to reach the right spot, as the looming shadows of the coming waves rose up over him.

"Different middle name, if you please."

Anything specific?

Andrew looked up at the wave, snatching something as it fell out of his pockets, curling his hand around the sword.

"...Something from Peter Pan, I think. I'll trust your sensibilities, as I always have." He held his sword up before him, and lept, crossing his arms over his chest against the oncoming wave.

Where the waters of time streaked his hair, the shade came away a starry silver, taking time with them as they rolled.

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known!"

And there was silence, once more, as he vanished..

Somewhere else, far away in literal terms, but not very far in four dimensional time stream terms, a young man was grabbed firmly by the arm before he could reach his car, dragged in a scrape, scuffle, and yelp aside.

"What th' durn hell do ya think you're-"

"Keeping you from making a mistake. Listen, and listen good: Theres nothing wrong with you enough that could make you 'not worth' your friend." the boy, running awkwardly into being a young man by now, was twisted so he couldnt see who had him. They had a rough voice, and something in the tone was familliar. He could smell sugar, and faintly under that, the faint ozone of electricity.

"Especially because she needs you as much as you need her. It doesn't mean what you're planning to do isn't a good idea, but the way you're doing it is five kinds of ass backwards, kid. Get a good cellphone plans, help her move into her dorm, make sure her dad knows how the damn post office system works. Go on some roadtrips together."

The boys cigarette was plucked out of his mouth, and flicked away at speed enough to extinguish it.

"And do yourself a favor, pick up some tootsie pops or something. Filthy habit. The point is, you're only young once." he was spun around, and shoved back towards his family home, stumbling under the blue Nebraska sky.

"Don't waste it because of something you never could have helped. It won't be worth it."

When Primary turned around, the source of the push was gone, with only so much as some footprints in the grass to prove. He checked the trunk of Das Vadanya once or twice, just in case, but whoever it was was nowhere to be found. He shrugged, and after a long, thoughtful look at the open road, he turned away from the car, finding his old treehouse.

He pulled himself up to wait, pulling his arms around his knees. He slipped his cigarettes out of his pocket once, and looked at them thoughtfully, before setting them aside.It was too much of a hassle to dig out the pop-caps his very best friend kept hiding in them, anyhow.

It was, depending on how you looked at things, either a few months, a few minutes after everyone finished their affairs, a few hours after they had vanished, or a few hundred years of sad, patient waiting, that a group of varying professionals or scientists of an eccentric, and often quite genius manner, appeared again in a infamous germanic city, more or less the same people they had been when they left- but if they were different, it was hard to say if anyone would remember for long.

Most of the important things were still the same, after all.

Andrew Tinker pushed back his greying hair a little, and checked his pocket-watch briefly, before giving up and drawing out his cellphone. A flick of the thumb coaxed the machine to re-calibrate from satellites the date and time,as well as his location, scores in several competitive finger swipe based games, weight, astrological forecast (Aquarius, 'Today is a good day to spend a little extra time with loved ones, be wary of your sodium, if you have been considering changing careers, today is the day to move forward), and several other nonsensical bits of data which all lead up to one important fact:

"I believe we are back. Now, forgive an old man his dottering, but can anyone else here remember more clearly precisely where we have been *to*? Because the whole affair seems to have gotten rather vague.

But of course, between all manner of things that had happened, or would happen, or had not in the past happened yet, a lot of things must still be recorded.

But it could all take its time to do so.

Post subject: Re: Eccentric Scientists and/or Professionals Friendly Skirm
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 pm 

((Hello, all genteeled persons of my acquaintance.

Now, not all details of the reboot are hammered out, just yet, so it'll be slow, and I would kindly ask not to establish anything for anyone else's characters without asking the author in question(s)- and major changes could/would be recommended to be passed by other writers to see what they think.

No one remembers more then vauge impressions, or some noodly specific details of what happened during the time travel- but they can remember as much or as little as you please of their own specific decisions to change the timeline, within reason. Again, run it by people not other peoples characters so on and I have driveled enough.

Perhaps a little suddenly to begin again, but what better a day then today?

Happy anniversary, everyone. Thank you for being so patient.

Yours, Friendly Troll/Luc.

EDIT: Andrew just isn't fourth wall aware! Thats all that meant! For clarities sake.
Edit Edit: Its been a few hours in [germanic city] since the crew left, Andrew is in his fifties, avoid using 'Heterodyne', 'Mechanicsburg', or 'Jagermonster' until we hammer out those points the rest of the way 'offscreen'. And all other etcettera. ))

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm 

Claire looked around. "I can't remember all the places I went to... wait, can we remember places we didn't go to? Because we didn't go to the moon an we didn't go to that one space station with the really good burgers and we didn't go to Philadelphia unless that was the place with all fish. Da, can I get a snack? They have gingerbread."

Jennifer blinked, looking around. "...my head hurts. Claire, please don't make it worse."

"But it's really GOOD gingerbread and I think people poked an important thing or something and changed stuff and Da SAID we should try to remember."

Jennifer sighed. "Just talk to Primary about it. Quietly."

"Okee!" Claire skipped over to Primary. "Prim I don't think Jennifer likes time travel. We should get her some pie so she's less sad." Claire knew that, if nothing else, at least Prim was dressing properly now because something something cell phones.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:57 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

Xyon City

The decision made is a turning point of change; the stereotypical flap of a butterfly’s wings. It ripples over the planet, and as it does some things are naturally lost. Other things, previously resigned to a lifetime of existence in potentia, come into being.

In a garage a young, oil stained man begins tinkering with the radio, before a firm but not unkind admonishment sends him back to work on the shock absorbers of the car on jacks. He will receive a letter from an organization that didn’t exist.

In a house that look like its seen some explosions in its day, another young man frowns and chews the end of a pen. Surrounding him are an increasing number of balls of screwed up paper, and in the end he shakes his head and puts away the notes for the day. He is the latest in the line of a family that didn’t exist.

On a street in Xyon, a young woman takes a photo for a pair of tourists posing in front of a fountain. Two shots, one before and one after they get drenched by it. She whistles and shakes the Polaroids as they develop. She is on her way to patron a shop that didn’t exist.

Things have changed but remain fundamentally the same; the world still spins, Sparks still invent, Xyon still exists and people are still at heart themselves. The kind of world a time traveller would examine and then shrug. “Close enough”.

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:09 pm 

"<I suppose it is close enough.>" A pair of eyes glinted in the darkness, reading off data from a number of oscilloscopes, a thermometer, a seismograph, and several of what appeared to be ordinary rocks.

A woman peered in the doorway, a green cat-like creature draped across her shoulders. "<You could have just asked, you know. And I think Primary did a good job, anyway.>"

"<It's still faster for me to read data than it is for you to explain, Vienna. And Primary's changes are fine in and of themselves, but between those, and the arrangement with Rasputin, and, well, just look at all of them- it's more than I like to see from one jump. They're getting into cascade territory.>" Clawed fingers ran through his multi-colored hair as he examined one of the rocks more closely.

Vienna rolled her eyes, petting the creature, whose fur sparked slightly. "<You're just grumpy because you want to meet that Ravel boy and examine his time-travel theory. It's not like you've ever cared about cascades before. Besides, most of the effects don't look that bad. Like you said, it's close enough. Marconi, be a dear and charge the battery again, and then we can have something to eat.>"

The green creature crackled, and was near-instantly standing next to a port on the wall. Crouching, it lowered its nose to touch the port. A single spark jumped to the port, allowing the room to once more become illuminated.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:38 pm 

Chic blinks. "Well. That was surreal. I know we had an adventure, but it's pretty much a blur. Something dinosaur something something muffins...and we fixed something? I'm pretty sure we fixed something." She shrugs,and grins. "I guess it's back to vacation now!"
Maybe vagueness after time travel is normal? Probably some physics quantum thingamajig. She idly wonders if Wally would know, but decides not to ask. After all, unless it has to do with electricity, radio, or mechanics it'll fly right over her head. If it's outside her field, she doesn't bother with it!
Maybe when they get back from their trip she'll finally introduce Wally to her mom.
Jess looks annoyed. She know she pulled off some kind of heist-maybe more than once-and she barely remembers it!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:06 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane got up from where she had 'landed', spread-eagled on the ground with the snow melted around her. The air was chill, and for a moment, Jane felt... different, like the breeze had blown through her head. What had happened? She ran through her mind as she ran her fingers through her hair.
My name is Jane Narbon. I'm twenty-s...? Twenty-e...? In my late twenties... I think. I work at the League of Villains as an intern, or will. I start when we all get back home.

Everything made sense. Still, Jane couldn't shake the feeling she'd forgotten something. What was it....?
We were here, exploring in— The city name was a blur for a few seconds, just out of mental reach —this city, and there was...? a hole in time, and then a single winking light...

JN shook her head, hard. It wasn't worth dwelling on the past, sometimes. It was time to look forward, to the future.
Beside her, Jane's friends were waking up from what had befallen them. She turned to Chic and raised an eyebrow. "So, how much vacation time do you think we have left?" she asked.

Xyon City

There is a shop, small but deep, within Xyon's commercial district. It's not ostentatious. There's a small sign— "N. R. SMITH, GUNSMITH"— above the door, in a practical serifed font. 'No Mad Sociologists' is painted in a corner of the window. Inside, the décor is glass and steel, a little more bright than gunmetal. Along one wall are racks of conventional weapons, behind unbreakable glass; a sign advertises "Special— Null Sisters 'Unicorn' Sniper Rifle, $2500.00". Along the other wall are energy weapons and other products of the Mad art.

Towards the back of the shop, just before the workroom door (but after the laser cage shells), a staircase leads downwards from the side. Another sign denotes, "Cannons / Giant Lasers — DOWNSTAIRS". From the staircase, Nancy Smith herself climbs, followed by a skittish customer who has just come to a decision.

The customer points to one of the medium-size lasers, and Ms. Smith nods. From her belt, she takes a special hammer, keys in a code, and swings. It smashes through the unbreakable glass; she picks up the laser and hands it to him. As they move over to the front counter, the glass reforms behind them.

Dodging around the sign saying, "Special Requirements? Unusual Ammo? Custom Work and Repairs Available", Ms. Smith— or Ms. Gunsmith, as some know her— takes the customer's money. All cash. She's been seeing more of those purchases lately... strange. Still, it's her job. Everything from laser pistols to nerf darts is her bailiwick, and she's proud of what her store's become.
As the customer leaves, she sits back behind the counter. It is time to see what the rest of the day will bring.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:23 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Wally shakes his head, trying to shake off his blurred double vision. Some people looked a little different, some didn't, but things slowly settled back into place, and he blinked once more. Somehow, he knew that things used to be another way, but this was the way things settled out, and that's okay. Besides, it hadn't changed him too much.

Smiling, he walks up behind Chic and hugs her, giving her a kiss on the top of her head. "An actual Vacation would be nice. Things should probably be calm enough at home that we don't have to worry about it, right?"

Xyon City

Lagos blinked, and suddenly had to roll to the side. The missile hurtled past her, exploding against the opposite wall of the lab. War's android body lurched through the doorway, sparks erupting from his shoulder. "You Should Know Better Than To Sneak In Here Again!"

Jumping from the couch, Lagos dived through the other doorway, flattening herself against the wall, poking her head back through to return fire. "What are-" Suddenly, between one breath and the next, awareness crashed in on her as her mind caught up with the timestream. War had gotten together with Beetlebrox, and the two of them had staged a revolt while Wally was away. Staged being the right word, since this was mostly just a way for War to blow off his steam and keep them both on their toes. Still, it was new, and while she processed the knowledge, the wall behind her exploded, throwing her across the room. Shaking her head, she looked up to see War striding through the door, pointing his hand cannon towards her.

"...I've had better days."

Post subject: Change #1 for my characters. Colored Text. I am SO novel :-p
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 pm 

The world can be cruel to broken things. To be broken is to be seen as worthless; something only fit to be thrown away and forgotten. Broken things are seen as unable to fulfill their specific purpose. Most broken things can only aspire to be consigned for the landfill, the dump, or the waste bin. It is a fate typically set in stone, one that only a few broken things are ever able to escape. Yet such is the case with two young men currently waking up after a seemingly-ineffable jaunt through the temporal aether. Both related, yet not in any biological way. Both broken, yet in different ways. And neither is quite as they seem. The first is a young one-armed boy, yet at the same time he is not. Though by his height and gait he is an adult of his species, yet he sees the world around him through the eyes of a child...

The muddy hair on his forehead tickled against his eyelids as David Toboz stirred. "Ah..." he sat up, feeling like the world around him was pounding into his head. He opened his eyes and thought to push himself up off the ground using the mechanical arm crafted for him by a friend. It felt so long ago that he had asked it made, yet something in a dusty corner of his mind reminded him it was only weeks since he had obtained it. Despite his desires, his body lay as still as concrete. With his single arm he reached up and brushed the hair away from his eyes. "Ugh... guys? I remember vaguely all of us going on an adventure through time, but I don't remember much about it. Did we save the day? Or date? What do you say when you're successful in setting something in time right? Aw, I wish I had my copy of the Adventurer's Correspondence Course manual. I bet A. Famousse Hiro knows what you call it..." He was a bit confused. Why wasn't his mechanical arm working? Did something happen that left it useless?

After a few moments of thinking through the haze of a headache, he remembered. "Oh no! It blew up. Aw, I've lost another arm. I feel so weird without one." He sat up, the torn, tattered green rags that had once been his shirt, before his most recent adventure, swayed in a breeze as he pushed himself up to his feet, wobbling a bit as he tried to stay on balance. He looked around at all the people with him. Those he'd honestly started considering his friends, and one in particular a bit more. He smiled a bit as he looked over Andrew, blushing slightly as he remembered the day his grumpy red-coated man had found him sitting in the debris of a destroyed building. "So, um, now that we're all wrapped up with that, anyone want to go get some food somewhere?" His gaze fell over the blond haired, grumpy grouch sitting opposite to him on the ground, his lips locked into a scowl as he brushed some offending dust off his shirt. "Oh! Michael! I almost forgot!"

The second is almost the opposite. A young boy, but his shoulders droop as if he were Atlas, toting the weight of an entire world upon his back. Eyes shining with intelligence yet a mind clouded with the blackened smoke of an experiment gone wrong...

A pair of blue eyes glared back at David. "What is it, Uncle? I am neither of the inclination or the mood to talk, you know..." He folded his arms, looking away. "All the stupid normal over-the-counter aspirin in the world wouldn't be able to get rid of this headache I'm dealing with and I just want to crawl into my bed and fall asleep." He reached down for the touchscreen-enabled smartphone teleporter he had made to replace his original cellphone one. Then an arm fell on his shoulder and a shiver ran down his spine. "W-what?"

David glared down at him. "We really need to talk! I've got some questions to ask you, and I kind of want to know what your deal is."

Michael rolled his eyes. "Oh my. I really can't wait for that conversation. No, and let go of me."

David's eyes watered a bit. "Please? I sort of feel like you could help me figure out a lot of what I don't remember. I would really love to know more about who and what I was before I got exploded and woke up in those ruins..."

Michael sneered. "No, you don't. And what would you say if I didn't want to?" He looked up at David, in deliberate challenge.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:20 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Ariel scanned the assembly of returned travelers. Some people's checksums were off by a little, though they reiterated as 'correct' even as she watched them. Her own memory had a single bright spot in the whole area of the travel through time: A place, silent and with water lapping. Little else.
Now, there was snow in the air, and the city... she recognized parts of it. Other parts were unfamiliar. Again, checksums corrected themselves within seconds.
She turned her sensors to the new-yet-old world waiting for her.

For some odd reason, she had a sudden desire to play the trumpet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:50 pm 

Boris sits stock still, while the cheerful chaos of the bar surges about him.
"So...", he murmurs.
The letter is carefully folded and tucked inside his jacket. Standing up he makes his way to the door. Never breaking stride when a chair comes flying through the air, his massive hand rises absentmindedly to knock it aside.
Boris's face is studiously blank as he walks, not hurriedly.
Voices call out to him, but are regulated to mere background noise.
this is an imprecise science....despite what the letter says, very possible his estimate could be off by hours. Or days. More.
On autopilot, gracefully walking around obstacles without consciously registering them.
arrival location could easily be off, too. wouldn't be surprised. horseshoes and hand grenades.
The town square is lovely under its coat of snow. The lightning fountain crackles merrily, the blue sparks against the white snow, drawing appreciative glances even from the jaded locals.
So many winters gone by.
hope is that thing with feathers...
Destination reached, he nods. Leans against a wall, the cold unnoticed, unfelt. Doesn't pull out his watch. Either the message is right or it isn't.

Whomp! Puffs of snow flying up in the air. A three armed man who wasn't there before shakes his head to clear his vision, then walks up to a diminutive purple haired woman. He hugs her from behind and kisses the top of her head, smiling. A distinguished, greying man checks his cell phone. A bright eyed cat girl skips over to a short green haired man, tugs at his sleeve. "...gingerbread..." A one armed man struggles out of the snow, then starts an earnest looking conversation with a moody teenager. A tall, stylish woman climbs out of a snow bank, and grins.

Boris watches, in silence, smiling slightly. He's waited this long. Give them a moment to shake off the disorientation. Then, a particular face comes into view and something cracks inside him.
And somehow, with no memory of moving, Boris is standing beside the man with the mismatched eyes, with his arms wrapped tightly around him.

The Frog Prince, or Iron Heinrich, or Faithful Henry-
(“No, no, my lord, it’s just my heart. When you were living in the well, when you were a frog, I suffered such great pain that I bound my heart with iron bands to stop it breaking, for iron is stronger than grief. But love is stronger than iron, and now you’re human again the iron bands are falling off.”)

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:08 pm 

The Director of █████ ████████, more often referred to casually as 'The Commander of M', felt somewhat off balance as he brushed the snow off his sleeves. As he looked at his lifelong friend Claire, he felt a sensation that, had he chosen to attempt to explain verbally, probably would have been labeled 'Like Deja Vu, but not.' If he was explaining in english, at least.
In bianary- which he 'spoke' with a accent, and a little slow, because there were limits on the speed of a human vocal chord- the explanation might sound a little more like this:

"I have information which is in some manner corrupted, and failing my checks for accuracy at varying percentages under 60%, but is matching consistently above 40%, causing a repeated recall error."

The third language which he primarily spoke, fortunately, was simply: 'Claire.' And it was in this strange, mostly english based dialect, that he expressed the sensation he had been left with.

"I have really bad paradox tickle." he grumbled, rubbing his forehead. It'd take a day or two, but eventually his subroutines would finish picking through what was failing authenticity checks, and relegate it out to long storage, or deletion. The efficiency of the pruning of lingering paradox memories was so neat that, were it not for the note in his pocket, and a lingering suspicion about an odd event when he was 18, he might never have remembered changing the course of his own life at all.

But at the moment, he was distracted.

"Baby jennifer's just cranky, hon. Time travel makes her have a headache, remember? We'll get her some water. And maybe pie." his voice was monotone, but he was in no way sarcastic- in the finest tradition of older brother/cousin figures, Xerox had never quite gotten a handle on the idea that Jennifer had grown up. In his mind, he was fairly certain she was still very small, with big eyes, and rowdy older siblings/cousins.

"...anyone seen Jess? If I have to go back in after her, I need 15 minutes to grab a candy bar and a chronological map." he asked, idly grabbing Claires sleeve to make sure she wouldn't go bounding off through the snow.

Andrew smiled down at Chic, patting her on her free shoulder.

"I suspect we'll all be a little vague... I think I remember something, or pieces of something, and I am remarkably sure one of my socks is in a ancient fossil somewhere confusing the ever living dickens out of some poor oceanic paleontologist. But in the *meantime*, I suspect some people are *very* worried about us all..." he gestured up at the wintery city of AMSTERDYNAMO, home of the ancient sometimes heroic (but on average more often very very nasty) family liniage of the ZU BLAUBART family, commanders of their monstrous and equally ancient fighting force comprised of experimental humanoids often considered more beast then man, known as the DANKE SOLDATEN, or to anyone local enough to dare (or able to beat one in a fight), the Danke Boys.

"For now, shall we head back to Castle.... castle...." Andrew trailed off, furrowing his brow. He took off his glasses and rubbed at them with a handkerchief, as if some kind of smudge was laying over his memory as a whole.

"Castle Blaubart, Da." piped fredric, a pale, somewhat gawky young teenager, in the curious state of being mostly elbows and knees that colors many an adolescence.

"Yes, yes, of course. Thank you, dear. Goodness, wherever is my mind wandering to...?"

As Andrew recollected himself, Ran Dao Shau-Di gathered his long black coat around himself a little more, blinking down at the little kitten humanoid named Teal. She had acquired, somewhere, a jumper and a little carrying pouch for him to wear, which seemed to insulate from the cold. He stepped up to laitu and gave her a grin- vaguely recalling he was * pretty* sure they were friends now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:53 am 

As Xerox finishing speaking, a pool of shadow rises up behind him, the darkness filling in with streaks of color, as its shape swiftly contracts and defines itself, all in a moment too swift for most eyes to follow. A slim, red haired woman gives him a lopsided smile.
"Heh. Looks like time and space hopping plays hell with my morphic field. Still want that candy bar, babe?" Jess pulls a long gone brand of candy from her pocket, and hands it to him.
Leaning forward, she brushes her lips against his cheek, and whispers in his ear.
"I remember. You did good, Primrose. Thank you." A moment of clarity, something Em changed, or tried to, that Prim's selves past and present helped make possible.
She winces suddenly, rubbing a hand across her forehead. "Ow....what was I saying?" She shakes her head. "I don't remember. Babe, let's go somewhere else on vacation next time, okay?" Things have been changed. She doesn't know what, but has the dim certainty that it was for the better.
"Damned if I know what happened. Like the aftereffects of going on a bender without the fun first." She stretches.
"Screw it. Let's have fun storming the castle."

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 am 

Claire nodded, patting Prim on the back because paradox tickling was always unpleasant. Jennifer tended to get confused by time travel, but that was probably because she was mostly human. She would've gone to find water and pie and a candy bar, but Prim had grabbed her sleeve. And Miss Jess had candy bars for Prim anyway. Maybe she could help Prim with the chronological map. Except it was always hard to find paper with the right number of dimensions.

But they were in Amsterdynamo, and that meant that there were lots of fun things to do. If Da said it was ok. "Daaaa can I go to a Danke Boys party while we're here? Pleeeaaase?" She hadn't had a chance to go to one with Rolf yet, and all the Amsterdynamo places had REALLY sturdy bar stools. And they were gonna get to go back to the CASTLE and she HAD promised Eustace she'd help him steal the cookie jar.

Things were still a LITTLE confusing, but that tended to be the case a lot. This one wasn't THAT bad, as far as tangled up mushed together timelines went. She thought. It was hard to compare things that remembering didn't work so well on.

Laitu waved at Ran Dao. "Hi! Did you have fun?" She liked going on vacation with Mommy and Daddy and Uncle Prim and Uncle Andrew and Aunt Chic. She didn't get to remember playing with timelines as much as Claire had. Usually. And now she was friends with the boy they met AND he had a little tiny kitten.

The kitten peeked her head out of her pocket, gave a tiny fangy yawn, and looked around at the snow. "Peep!"

Jennifer decided to ignore strange temporal anomalies in favor of watching Michael snark at his uncle. Because it was amusing. Besides, David Toboz took an awfully strange approach to information gathering.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:12 pm 

Rolf grins at Claire. "Later, Liebschen. Ve vill party mit de Danke Soldaten, but first, they are expecting us at de Castle. Ve heff time." He picks her up suddenly and twirls her around, setting her down lightly on her feet with a grin. "All de time in de vorld."

Meanwhile, back in Xyon City-
Sparky barely twitches an ear at the explosions coming from Wally's place. She's in the lab Wally had set up in Chic's basement. Beakers are bubbling. Mysterious liquids bubble through glass coils. Scientific books are haphazardly piled around the place, some propped open, some with a whole pad of sticky notes marking places. Right now she's devoting herself to the archives of Mad Science Madology Review.
"Um...Sparky?" Mecha's voice is hesitant. "You know Wally doesn't want us in his workspace. Are you sure we should be doing this?"
"It's fine. rrrI can't sequence my dna in Chic's lab. If Wally was herrre, he'd say yes." She scans another page, eyes intent, then adds another drop of something glowing to a beaker before returning to her reading.
"But...he isn't here. Lagos isn't here. Even Godfrey stays out." Mecha wrings a couple of vines together, agitated. "Mom won't be happy if we blow the place up."
Sparky ignores him.
Mecha tries again. "Sparky? Why don't you take a break? You haven't slept for a while, and organics need that, right?"
"Not. Tired." She growls.
"Okay, then come outside for a while, at least. I'll throw your ball for you, " Mecha coaxes. He could just drag her out, but then she'd be angry...
"Ball?" Sparky hesitates,the intense light in her eyes flickering for a moment, then she shakes her head. "rrrI'm so close, Mecha. Poor old Doctorr Neutron....Doctorr gone, base blown up, notes 'r gone. But maybe he published something, in one 'a th' rreviews...'n even if not, w' Wally's set up herre, I can rrrun tests myself. Wi' Wally 'n Chic on vacation, this is my only chance."
Even sentient mechanical plant life isn't immune to the Pleading Doggy Stare (tm).
Leaves rustle, in his version of a sigh. "...all right."
Mecha ponders. He's the tool and parts supplier, the defense system, and sometimes Chic's lab assistant. This situation is beyond him. Sparky makes a good case, but what if the lab blows? Oh, he can rebuild, but she could get hurt! Maybe he could call someone for advice. M? No, what if they decide they need to subdue her? Lago's still hasn't answered his last call. Dad is with the others on vacation. Godfrey? He would tell Chic, and then Sparky'd be in trouble! Archimedes? Hmm....

C Valente

Post subject: Aah character breaks. I missed you so dang much.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:06 pm 

-David and Michael-

David paused. "...I guess I can't really force you to do anything. I'm sorry, I'll let go." he released his grip on Michael.

Michael smirked. "Good boy. Now if you all will excuse me, I'm leaving to sleep for a week-" he began fussing with his teleporter.

David's face drooped, his eyes misting up. "It just bothers me, not knowing how my little sister died. Sarcastic said she couldn't find any records in the obituaries. I didn't even think anyone outside of me and my brother even remember she existed at all before I met you." He sighed, standing back up and turning to walk away.

The skin under Michael's right eye twitched. "Hate hate hate hate HATE." His left fist started clenching itself so tight observers almost would have believed he would break a finger off. "Fine." He pushed himself up off the ground to glare at David. "Once you get back to Xyon City. I'll make some time the day you get back and tell you the whole story! And then I'll never have to think about it again and we can go back to just pretending each other doesn't exist and I can just FORGET about this!" He looked around. "Mister Demothesis, I am going to head back to the hotel room I rented. Once you're done visiting around the castle or doing whatever you feel like doing, feel free to join me.[/color]" And with the push of a button or two on his smartphone teleporter, he was gone.

-------------------------------------------

-Sarcastic Female NPC and Khan-

"Ok... I have basically no idea what I was doing to end up here, but it probably would have made for a good story." Sarcastic Female NPC rubbed her head, surveying the scene of where she had awoken. She was sitting on the branch of a tall oak tree, clutching a paintball marker and wearing old clothes that she was sure she had thrown out a year ago. The tree itself was covered in blotches of multicolored water-soluble paint, with odd spikes made out of rock candy growing up out of the trunk.

Nearby here, trapped in a net and dangling on the other side of the tree was a large orange-striped tiger with a paintball helmet on his head. Khan thrashed his tail angrily. "...we never play paintball with anyone in this dang city ever again. Promise me that, Sarcastic."

Sarcastic blinked as she heard a loud explosion. "Khan, did you hear that?"

Khan put a paw on his head. "I felt that."

Sarcastic started climbing down the tree. "That could be something really bad! We need to go see what's happening!" She pushed herself to the ground and took off running towards Wally's lab. "I'll meet you there!"

Khan watched her leave, flabberghasted. Eventually, he snarled. "Oh! Right! Because I'm so very MOBILE right now! Sure, the guy with no HANDS can get himself out of the net! Don't mind me, I'll catch up in just a second!" He growled and grumbled. "...frig."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:59 pm 

Xyon

“Axel!”

Damien clattered through the junkyard. Afternoon mist curled through it, reducing visibility to no more than three meters and making the scrapmetal gleam with dew. Most likely some Mad somewhere with a weather machine had decided they wanted Xyon to have a more Victorian London feel today. He fought off the clammy chill and continued searching.

Axel! Don’t make me come find you!”

No response. Either Axel was getting smarter, or he wasn’t here. Or the fog was more muffling or the junkyard larger than he’d thought. He huffed, his breath joining the already copious amounts of vapor. He should be somewhere warm and dry by now. But a missing Axel tended to escalate until next thing you knew you were standing in the rubble of your own house listening to him babble on about skylights.
He fretted a little. That had not been a fun day.

After an hour of fruitless searching, Damien gave it up as a bad job and turned for home, before realizing he was now hopelessly lost. Not one to panic, he began to climb one of the nearest mounds of disintegrating technology in the hopes of a vantage point that could reverse this state of affairs. He was halfway up when something gave under his hand and caused him to tumble backwards quite a distance in a clatter of components. Sprawled out upside down with quite a few objects poking him in an uncomfortable manner, he had just enough time to roll to the side before something heavy and roughly rectangular bounced after him and into the mist.

He managed to get himself the right way up and prepared to try again, this time a little more carefully, when the spark of curiosity, dulled by years of living amongst Sparks but not yet dead, flared. Picking his way whence he’d come, he sought, and found, the object that had nearly so cheerfully bashed his brains in.

A typewriter. Old, corroded, with half the keys stuck down and quite a few teeth missing. The word ‘…emi…ton’ was somewhat less than proudly emblazoned on the front. Damien huffed again, more from wry amusement than exasperation this time. He’d always had a fondness for the things. So lucky he’d escaped the irony of being injured by one.
He picked it up, sat on a nearby tractor tire and pressed a few keys experimentally. They were badly in need of cleaning, but sufficient force managed to get them to connect with the imaginary paper. No sooner had he done so than the keys he’d touched began to glow, picking the letters out in increasingly bright white.

H. S. V. I. E. U. B. W. A.

He swore and flung it as far away from him as he could, before running for the nearest cover, which in this fog meant going around in circles with the only indicator of direction the white glow behind him. Stupid! Stupid! Mads dumped their cast off experiments here. Anything could have potentially dangerous side effects.

The light flickered, whined, and then abruptly shut off. Damien slowed down to walking pace, breathing harshly, but did not stop scanning the surroundings for any kind of exit. Climbing was now out of the question.
After a while, it became clear he was not alone. Occasionally there would be the sounds of clattering metal, far more frequent than the natural settling of the piles would normally allow. If he held his breath, he could occasionally pick out a second set of lungs hard at work. His only response was to turn his collar up and walk a little faster. Until whatever he’d woken revealed itself, there wasn’t much else he could do. The sounds began to fade, and after a while he began to wonder if he hadn’t imagined it, before slapping himself for the thought. Nevertheless, his attitude became a little more relaxed.

That was, until the pile on his right exploded in a shower of nuts and bolts and something slammed into him, knocking him on his back for the second time in as many hours. While part of him idly wondered if this was what a heart attack felt like, the… thing pinning him down with its weight began to lick his face as if it was made of bacon.

This snapped him out of it. Obviously a stray had taken up residence in the yard. He struggled to get the almost obscenely happy canine out of his face and off his ribs, and managed it after a thorough saliva bath. When finally he got a good view of it, he blinked.

A stray with… no legs and blank white eyes? Well, that was hardly the worst thing the city’s mutagens could do to an animal of insufficient intelligence to avoid certain waterways. And the dog thing panting happily while sitting on its lack of haunches had ‘toilet drinker’ written all over it. He wiped his face.

“I don’t suppose you can talk?”

The only response was an ‘oh god he’s talking to me!’ whuff!

Damien sighed. “I thought not.”

He drummed his fingers on a nearby car hood, then remembered his decision not to touch anything. He took another look at the creature. No collar. He whistled, and it sat to attention, ears perked.

“The way out, boy. Find. Fiiiind.” The dogsnake cocked its head to one side, eyes darting over Damien’s face for some sort of clue.

“Well it was worth a shot.” It became quite clear to Damien that he would quite likely only be leaving by way of rescue party at this stage. Nevertheless, he kept walking to keep himself warm and out of a lack of anything else to do.

The creature followed happily behind him.

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:40 am 
Heh heh heh.

Now that Jane had taken mental inventory, it was time to take physical inventory. Her clothing was all there— dress, gloves, boots, winter coat, everything. She had a vague memory of her purse being left in an oubliette at a grand ball somewhen, so most of her stuff was gone. She remembered keeping a pair of knives in her boots; there was nothing there now, not even an indent where they'd belong.
Sticking her hand into her coat pocket, Jane did feel her wallet; somehow, it had survived the series of events. Just as well that wasn't lost, she thought.
A quick brush-over with her hands yielded nothing else, though JN couldn't shake the feeling that she was carrying something slightly heavy in some inside front pocket she couldn't get to. I'll check later.

"So, um, refresh my memory..." she asked, "What are we meeting up at Castle..." She tasted the new name, liking the feel on her tongue. "Castle Blaubart?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 am 
Hyperkeeper

Xyon City

A henchman, typically, comes in many classes and types. Aside from those hunched-over men and women who bear a resemblance to the 'Igor' of classic movies, there are others; henches who have some skill in some particular area, closer to an assistant than an unskilled grunt. There are henches who are nearly Mad themselves, and many beautiful and terrible things have come of the remains of their partnerships.

And, there are also henchmen and henchwomen who are... ordinary. They may have some minor skill, but their true area of expertise is service and resilience— a tough mix of loyalty, yet survival.
One such henchwoman has just been fired from her previous employment. Not by a whim of her employer, or for some mishap; she has been fired through two 3rd-story windows, avoiding serious injury only by virtue of landing in a trampoline bush. Groaning, she gets to her feet.

Disentangling herself from the bush, the woman looks up at the lab. It's a smoking ruin now, and so are the spaces on every side of it. The entire top of the building is blown away. There's nothing left for her there; no one to go back to, no charred yet triumphant figure standing in the wreckage. She'll need to find other employment, and soon... but Xyon City is there for her. The demand for henchwomen is always high.

The woman walks slowly away from the scene, trying not to limp as she presses her hand to a cut on one arm. She checks her appearance in a nearby shop window, brushing off the debris upon her clothing. Brown hair, tied into a ponytail with a silver clip of an ouroborous. A slim build. A height of 5' 8". A workaday shirt and jeans, and a pair of weathered boots. Everything practical; nothing unusual.

Her suitcase was burnt up in the explosion, but the henchwoman will survive. She always has. Once she finds a new employer, she'll be able to pack a new bag. And from there... who knows?

Mina Matthews walks through the streets of Xyon City, ready for what the future will bring.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:19 pm 

-Sarcastic Female NPC-

(Please note: I feel personally that this part is best read while listening to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZQMI6_4gLw)

She vaulted over a wall, landing swiftly on the concrete sidewalk in front of a lady Sarcastic didn't know was named Mina Matthews. Sarcastic barely even thought about it as she landed. "Sorry. People are blowing each other up and it needs to stop." She blurt out as she ran past Mina, crossing a street.

Right through incoming traffic.

"Yeek!" Sarcastic cursed herself in one moment, bending to her knees and leaping forward in one fluid motion to narrowly escape being impacted by a truck, it's horn blaring in her ear loud and shrill. Her landing wasn't nearly as graceful as she'd have liked. She landed on her right foot, skidding across the concrete of the sidewalk. Unfortunately, concrete isn't designed to be skidded across. At least not in Nike Woman's Athletic Shoes. Sarcastic stumbled, her body swaying and her arms flailing. The end result was that she landed, face-first, into the store window of a store reading ""N. R. SMITH, GUNSMITH"" with a loud THUMP! Recoiling in horror after leading a huge smudge on the screen, she rubbed her head. "Ow... ok, no more trying to do this like Boss would. I've got more sense than that." She looked up at the window, relieved to see only a very tiny crack where her forehead had impacted. A growing headache made its presence behind her skull known. "I don't have time for this. Gotta go, bye!"

She turned and took off running down the street at a dead run. A few blocks down, she passes right past the garage with a young man who had, until recently, been tinkering with a radio. She had never met him, and thought nothing of seeing him as he moved to work on the shock absorbers of a car. Thrusting her arms back and forth, she dashed towards Wallace Caine's lab, which had just made another explosion.

The path she took led her past the old Xyon City Junk Yard. It was still foggy, even after all these years. As Sarcastic ran past it, she recalled the story her mom had told her as a kid about Professor Phineas Von Pfogg, the rumored Mad Steam Artisan in the middle of the junk yard, and the endless fog and steam his machines pumped out, covering the whole area around the junk yard except on windy days. It was an amusing story, but only one children would take seriously. She had no idea that the same fog was currently inconveniencing Damien worse than a week long vacation to Mount Madahodo.

It didn't occur to Sarcastic during her mad dash through Xyon to stop and think about what she could do against something that could cause this many explosions. It probably would have, had she not been obscenely bored since most of the Mad Scientists she had met in the past year had left to visit AMSTERDYNAMO, city of wonder. Xyon City wasn't the same without them, or so she'd started to feel.

After more running than she'd felt comfortable doing, Sarcastic Female NPC stood before the source of the explosive noises. She wasn't sure if it was a Mad Scientists lab or not, but it looked like a house that had been flattened, leveled, blown up, or some mix of the three. She wasn't entirely sure if the source of the explosions had left after destroying the house or if there was some kind of hidden basement or something. Sarcastic walked towards the leveled house, eyes open for any sort of hidden door or abnormality to discover.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:28 pm 

As Sarcastic Female NPC approached the former house of Wallace Caine, a large, fuzzy shape came flying out of a pair of basement doors, followed by an explosion that finishes blowing the doors off their hinges. Lagos, as the fuzzy shape usually preferred to be called, bounced twice, before firing her thrusters and rolling to a stop.

Lagos ground her teeth, watching as War emerged from the smoking doors. "Oi, ugly, what's the matter with you? I swear, you're better at hitting the broad side of a barn than me right now!" She chuckled, and then coughed. "Course, you're still kicking up enough smoke to make bacon, so that's annoying."

War cocked his head, before blinking once. "Analysis Indicates You Are Deviating From Expected Behavior." War fired an ball of electricity, which arced past Lagos, who had dodged to the other side. "Compensation For The Difference May Take A Few Minutes, Unless You Wish To Provide Information About The Alternate Timeline."

Lagos sputtered, then sighed. "Look, don't spread it around." Hopping into the air, she fired her front rockets, flipping herself over and strafing War with a spray of machine gun fire, causing him to dive behind a mostly destroyed wall. "Sides, there's a distraction right over there!" Pointing towards Sarcastic, Lagos smiled and winked to her, before getting behind cover of her own.

"I Will Not Fall For That Trick More Than Three Times." War lumbered upwards, exchanging fire with Lagos from behind cover, neither really gaining the upper hand for the moment. "...Perhaps It Was Four Times."

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Mina Matthews wasn't expecting a near-collision with a young woman running at the speed of sneakers, but she stopped just in time. As the woman— brown hair, red tank top— passed by, Mina could her her say, "Sorry. People are blowing each other up and..."
Blowing each other up? That sounded promising. In this city, where you had explosions, you had Mads.
She began to follow the young woman.

Mina had experience with running— Xyon City was also the only place where it was possible to outrun some explosions. She followed the woman, waiting for a break in the traffic. She was almost out of sight when Mina was across; a tiny crack in a store window betrayed her passing, as did a tank top turning a corner at the junkyard. Once she had passed through the fog surrounding it, the running woman had crossed the street and was just turning another corner.

When Mina caught up, she understood what was going on. A chunk of flying door hurtled past her, followed by a flying mechanized rabbit yelling at a gun-firing android. The woman Mina was following was also there, looking a bit stunned.
When a spray of bullets from an explosion scattered over Mina's head, she took the hint. Leaping after the woman in the red tank top, she followed her behind a giant chunk of stone that had embedded itself in the ground.
As the two crouched there, Mina looked at who she'd been following. "Hi. I'm Mina," she said. "Lovely weather, isn't it?"

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:27 pm 

The brains of cephalopods are significantly different in structure from those of humans. Notably, they are far less centralized. There are so many things their bodies can do that they require a certain amount of delegation- the octopus, for instance, has individual nervous systems for each of its arms, and it is believed the squid may be able to detect and match colors with its skin.
Mimic's neural structures are a hodgepodge of 37 different species in 5 different genera. One isn't even in the same phylum as the rest. When she left on the trip, she was a hodgepodge of 36.

At the moment, about 2/3rds of Mimic's limbs aren't sure what size they are supposed to be, she is overwhelmed by the range of colors she has always been able to see since hatching, and she has an intense craving for a smell she cannot properly identify as a food.

Dr. Beard is concerned.
"Does anyone here know where to find a veterinary hospital? Or an aquarium?"

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:27 pm 

-Sarcastic Female NPC-

Sarcastic Female NPC was currently pressing her body against a large stone embedded in the ground. The presence of an immediate explosion nearby her had been sufficient to remind her body that danger was, in fact, dangerous. Biting her lip, she tried to focus in spite of the baser parts of her brain telling her to run like a scared forest imp.

It was dawning on her she came here without any real idea of what she was going to do to stop the explosions once she arrived. Lacking any equipment save the cell phone and wallet she carried with her for everyday use (she was kicking herself for not bringing a purse today) her mind worked feverishly to try and come up with some justification for her decision to come here. She wasn't good at fighting. Aside from being a bit tricky at times she didn't really have many skills here, except for what she hoped was a smattering of common sense.

And then a lady named Mina introduced herself. Sarcastic turned to look at her. "Charmed. I'm Sarcastic, although the second my clothing gets covered in blast debris you probably won't remember it." She frowned. "Sorry. I'm a bit stressed right now. I'm just thinking."

An idea occurred to her. She wanted to try and stop the explosions, but she didn't have any way of stopping either of the things causing the explosion directly. But... maybe she could stall it at least, to think of something better. "Hold on right here. I'm going to try something." She resisted the urge to add the word "stupid" to the end of her sentence. She didn't know what sort of hearing these two entities had, and it was best not to hint she was doubting herself.

She stood up straight, letting her hair out of a ponytail so it would cascade down her head. She didn't want to be recognised by anyone for this, if ideally her "condition" even worked on robots. She walked out, shoulders squared behind her and what she hoped was a bemused smirk on her face. She strode towards War, pretending in her mind that she was Jane Narbon and hoping that pretending hard enough made it a little bit less fake.

"I wondered what all the noise was about. Are you two quite done with your amateur detonation exhibition? It's jarring, and beyond that, slipshod." She narrowed her eyes. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you both to stop. If you won't, I'm afraid I'll simply have to challenge you both. I can't abide all these noisy explosions so near my residence, but moreso I can't abide them being done so POORLY. Unless you're prepared to see which of us three is better at destruction in a properly judged competition, you will be stopping now."

She felt rather stupid, but her strategy banked on one of two things: Either she could appeal to their pride and convince them to accept her challenge, in which case she could dicker over time and place while she came up with a better plan, or they would be so amused at her silly attempt that they would take her up on it just to laugh when they witnessed her failure.

Either way, it would buy her some time. Assuming they didn't just decide to shoot at her and be done with it.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:16 pm 

Claire beamed at Rolf, hugging him. "Lots of time!" That reminded her... she peeked in her pocket, to see if she had gotten that item she needed. It didn't seem to be in her pocket. There was a baby pig in her pocket, though. It was the piggy Da had gotten her as a pet for Christmas. It was napping, so it didn't seem too alarmed by time bopping.

Jennifer scowled. Of course Michael would just take off. Stupid aloof M intern. Not everyone had the option of just heading back to the hotel when they didn't feel like talking to family. And she didn't really want to go to Castle Blaubart, either... if nothing else, she was overdue for a dentist appointment, and worried that someone might notice.

Back in Xyon City, Crash was at the grocery store. They were out of the little cupcake wrapper things and needed more bacon. There were some explosions, but they didn't seem to be destroying the check-out area, so it was probably fine.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:26 am 
Hyperkeeper

Mina watched as the woman stood up and— a completely different woman was there all of a sudden?! It made no sense. The mystery woman had to be a Mad, then— or something.

From behind the rock, Mina shrugged. She was a henchwoman, and 'Sarcastic'— or whoever had replaced her— was one of the class she was used to working for. Mina watched the woman, waiting to see if there was an opportunity for her to jump in and tackle someone, and/or drag her temporary partner back behind cover.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:29 pm 

-In Xyon City-

In an alleyway near an apartment building marked as condemned, space and time itself folded and then collapsed on themselves. Where there had previously been no one, now there was someone.

Michael Toboz stood in the alleyway, and blinked. "This... isn't my hotel room. How did I end up here? And where IS here?!?" He scowled and flipped open his custom built cell-phone teleporter. A quick use of the GPS app helped him identify the answer. "Xyon City?!? How did I end up on another continent! This thing was calibrated the last time I checked..." he shook the phone. "Dang it! Until I take this thing apart and make sure there's no electrical faults and all the components are solid I can't even be sure I can use it to teleport me back home!"

He stopped as a thought hit him. "...Home... which is where, exactly?"

He walked out of the alleyway. "Let's see. My last base was destroyed. I don't have the funds right now to build or buy another one yet. The Grues probably eat people who sneak in, so I probably can't crash at Frederic's. I guess I could try to teleport to... the small concrete bunker in the Caribbean I originally decanted in?"

He frowned as he looked left and right. The realization that the place closest to being "home" was an abandoned chunk of stone in another country wasn't a very settling one.

"I guess... I... don't... really... have anyplace I'd call home."

It wasn't a happy thought.

But he soon started having a less happy one as he looked up. The sky looked like it was about to start raining on him.

--------------------------------

-Elsewhere in the City, at a Train Station-

"Xyon City! Last stop, mostly 'cause last week all the track ahead of it got turned into a group of very confused giraffes!"

A young lady stepped off the train, a waterfall of white hair cascading down the back of her head as she lugged a bag behind her. Pale creamy skin covered with a series of black curly tattooed lines curled around her face and arms. She heaved a sigh. "Well... time to make a fresh start."

The Painted Lady walked out into her new home.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:03 pm 

Outside the Lab:

Lagos and War both turned towards Sarcastic as she walked up. Lagos smiled and twitched her nose, but before she could say anything, War cut in. "Who Are You? I Cannot Find A Match In Any Database Or Social Media Site. What Is Your Identity?" War shook his head in a gesture of exasperation. "You Also Do Not Match Any Known Indicators For Shapeshifter Identification. Therefore You Are A Complete Unknown And Immin-"

War was interrupted by the sound of a large rabbit colliding with his midsection, followed shortly by War falling over due to the physics involved with said collision. Lying on the ground with Lagos on top of him, he tried to reorient himself enough to prevent her from...

"Boop! Got your nose. Guess that means I win this round, huh?" Lagos leaned back. "Thanks for the distraction, Sarcastic... That is you, right? I really should be wrong more often when I assume people are you, but that's how Kent works, you know?"

Below her, War smacks his face with his palm. Muttering about Clark Kent Syndrome, he updates the scoresheet, before sullenly starting to get up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:17 pm 

As Mimic continued to coil and uncoil her arms in distress, Dr. Beard decided not to wait for an answer. She needed tools, and someplace quiet, preferably wet, to work. The castle had a moat. It also had a small family dynasty of mad scientists, who would presumably have tools. Various mental alarms regarding the wisdom of using moats or tools belonging to other Mads failed entirely to go off, so it was very lucky for most of those involved when Dr. Beard happened to run into her favorite student.

"Penny! Come here, quick! There's been an adventure and I lost my kit somewhere. Mimic needs urgent attention!"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:24 pm 

Penny rushes forward, eyes widening at the sight of Mimic's distress. "Dr. Beard! What-" She cuts herself off. No time for questions like 'what happened?' and 'where did you go?'
"Quick! The castle isn't far, there's a moat, and I still have all my gear and supplies on me-I was just treating the moat monster!" She grabs Dr.Beard by the arm and runs.
Fortunately, Olaf the moat monster should be smart enough to recognize Penny as the one who just helped him. She hopes.

Xyon-
A bleary eyed Sparky is surrounded by a nice array of bubbling flasks. Between what was left behind in Wally's old workspace at Chic's, and Chic's own supplies, she's managed quite well. Mecha, bored, has quit paying as close attention to her, since she seems to just be quietly reading now.
Journal Of Maddology, Issue XVI
"....So, while a healthy dose of mutagen seemed to have a beneficial effect upon the subject, there was still much to be done, Doctor?" Ah, so dear old Dr. Neutron did write up a case study! All signs of tiredness vanishes, as she turns the yellowed pages.
..."Wadddaya mean, how did I do it? You think I'm going to spill all my secrets, you young whippersnapper? Where was the journal when I created the Chibi Legion of Doom, eh? Eh?...
Sparky smiles, and looks more closely at the article. So, an interview, not a case study. Still. interesting. Her tails wag as the familiar words bring back memories.
..."She's strong, smart, and is tough enough to take care of herself, aren't you girl?"
Huh, a picture of puppy her, asleep under the lab bench. Aww.
"How smart, Doctor? Are you planning to produce others, for pets or guard animals? According to your projections, she's going to be pretty fearsome! Not what I'd want to run into in a dark lab.
"What? I don't do assembly line work, ya punk. My Sparky's one of a kind. As to how smart? Potentially, as smart as me. Heh, heh, heh....
..."You mean...?
"Yep! If she's going to be physically the best I can create, I'm not going to stint on brains, either. 'Course I used my own dna, too! Now, g'wan, ya whippernapper. You're boring me, and it's time for the Avengers."
Snap

(Listen to the first sound-or, any of them, really!)
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Laughing_Hyenas_audio
EDIT (They've changed the order since I linked to this! Sound 2, Laughing Hyenas is good, as is the Howling and Barking, and the Hyenas at Night.

Eerie, mad sounds echo in the lab. Then, a prolonged howl, and more crazed barking laughter.
Too late, Mecha's attention is drawn back. "Sparky? What's wrong?"
"R-r-wrong?" Her eyes are gleaming feverishly. " He was...rrrI'm...iT aLl mAkeS seNSe nOw!!!
She starts grabbing random items, building, mixing various fizzing and burburbling liquids. She chugs half of one, then carefully stoppers it, stowing it in a pouch around her neck. Other...things...are stuffed in another one.
A dumbfounded Mecha watches as Sparky runs out the gate. What's gotten into her?
Distantly, he hears a "Heh. Heh. Heh...."

C Valente