Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Eccentric Scientists and/or Professionals Friendly Skirm
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:43 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Crash wondered if the muffin wrapper things would work as cupcake wrappers. He hadn't been able to find any actual cupcake wrappers. Maybe they could transmogrify them if muffin wrappers didn't work.

A green six-legged dog ran by, chortling maniacally. He blinked. Where had he.. ooh, it was Sparky! She was friends with Archimedes. And rampaging.

How nice! He sent Archimedes an email, letting him know. Maybe Archimedes could bail her out later.

~Elsewhere in Xyon City~

In Michael's alleyway, there was a slight crackling in the air, and a tall man in a labcoat was suddenly standing next to him. "Don't worry, that's why Primary said you should stay with us~" The man gently took hold of Michael's elbow.

There was another crackle, and suddenly they were both standing in a kitchen. "Do you want some cookies? There's milk, too. I know you were involved in that time travel snarl, so I'm not sure if you last ate... or I can make you a sandwich or something." Michael was steered to the kitchen table. "I'll see about getting your suitcases from the hotel, too, so you don't have to worry about them."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:33 pm 

-Michael-

Michael blinked. "Wait, what? what. What?!?" Any angst that had been in his mind was completely sidetracked by the stranger holding what appeared to be snickerdoodles. "...setting aside all the things that are obviously wrong with that statement, are you SERIOUSLY offering some kid off the street sweets in order to have them come home with you? Am I the only person in this exchange who sees something wrong with that?" It was then that his teleporter/cell phone began to snap, then crackle, and then pop. He sighed, remembering that right now he wasn't in any position to look a gift roof-over-his-head in the pan of hot cookies. "Alright. Tell you what. Hook me up with a Philips head screw driver, a snarky robot head, and a soldering iron and I'll go along with you, whoever you are. I'm pretty sure if this explodes it'll create a dimensional portal that, I don't know, Endermen or whatever will start spewing out of, and I need to do some calculations before then." He looked around making sure this wasn't some sort of trap. Also, I may require some cookies, just to keep my sugar levels up."

------------------------------

-Sarcastic-

She blinked, not at all expecting that resolution, or ANY resolution that involved less than utter destruction of one of the two combatants. "...er, um, yes, I'm Sarcastic." She looked down at Lagos. "Um... well... er... so fun's over? Lagos wins, you guys are settling down?" She looked at Lagos and War cautiously, prepared to bolt if necessary.

------------------------------

-The Painted Lady-

Smoke wafted into the air from a nearby ashtray as music intermingled with it. She watched the smoke dance as she sipped a gin and tonic. The beverage was bitter, but she needed the taste right now. It helped her keep perspective. Remind her that she was still a place to stay, a way to make money, and a method of transportation away from being able to feel good about her situation again.

She idly wished that leaving home hadn't involved also leaving herself destitute. She'd grown accustomed to certain comforts, and adjusting to doing without was going to be a long process of doing without. She lifted her glass to take another sip of her drink-

"You know, he's not worth it."

A masculine voice likely lubricated by liquors rattled around in her right ear. She turned on her barstool, looking over at the short brown-haired man suddenly seated sideways against her. He smiled weakly, and was making an effort to gaze at her eyes rather than her chest. She idly wondered what he had been looking at before she turned around. "Who, pray tell, isn't worth it?"

"The guy you're waiting for." He folded his arms and rested them on the bar. "See, I've seen plenty of people like you come in here all the time: Slumped over a bar, hair a bit of a mess, drowning drinks as bitter as the feeling of longing they've kept hidden beneath their beating-"

"I am waiting for no one." The Painted Lady tried to sound stiff. "Look kid... If you are looking for someone to bed, I would really rather you look elsewhere. If I was looking for something like that, I would have picked a single's bar." She turned away to look at anyone other than him.

The man reached out and put a hand on her shoulder. "There's no need to be rude."

The Painted Lady turned back at him, locked eyes with him, and for a brief moment showed him something she would have regretted had she been purely sober.

The man's eyes widened as he pushed away from her, stumbling backwards, causing a few of the stools at the bar to fall over. "W-What the-" His breathing was quick, and she could hear his heart racing.

The Painted Lady traced a finger along one of the curly black, smokey tattoos on her right arm as she looked away from him. "I think you'd be better off seeking a different mate for the evening, wouldn't you?"

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:49 pm 

James Umbra patted Michael's head. "Of course not! That doesn't even make any sense. You're already at my house, and NOW I'm offering you cookies. Besides, Primary said you needed a place to stay, so you're more specific than some kid. There's a screwdriver and soldering iron in the lab next to Primary's old guest room, along with most of the other tools you might need. It's a school night, though, so Burn can't come over and play. And if you open a dimensional portal by accident let me know and I'll close it for you~"

He slid the plate of cookies in front of Michael, and got a glass out of a cupboard. "Would you like some milk or juice to go with that? And I'm not sure what time zone you're in, so you might need a snack between now and dinner in addition to the cookies."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:57 pm 

-Michael-

It took him a moment to realize that he was in someone's kitchen and not in the alleyway he was in before. "...huuuuuh. Well... despite the fact that you're being creepily domestic, I'll take your hospitality. Wait, you know Xerox? Wait, am I still in the same city?" His cell phone began to have smoke rising off of it. "Wait... where did you say that screwdriver was again?"

He didn't really have time to raise any objections at the moment. He needed to figure out what was going on with his formerly efficient, clean-energy, high-performance teleportation solution before it did something stupid like explode in his hands.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:17 pm 

Sparky runs all out, only pausing for a bit of crazed yelping laughter. Suddenly, she twitches. Shakes her head, takes a step forward-and stumbles an a tremor hits her legs. Full body twitch. Shake.
Suddenly, a young woman with long green hair and a deranged look in her eyes is awkwardly on all fours on the sidewalk. She stands up shakily, and starts to stumble forward.
"iT wOrkEd. Heh...huMan dna...cHilD's pLay. UneleGaNt. bUt uSesFul.""

A fancy restaurant has a crazed woman stagger in, a fixed grin on her face. She snatches a steak from someone's plate, and starts to gnaw on it.
"Bah. pUny tEeth. Barely aDequaTe."
"What the hell? Waiter!! My steak!"
"MY steaK."
The hapless diner's face pales, as Sparky bares her teeth and growls.
Screaming starts when the crazy woman suddenly gives a twitch, and becomes a giant dog.
Who howls, grabs another steak, and runs out the door, to the cries of "MAD DOG!"

The crowd prudently scatters from her path.
She chases a convertible. And catches it.
The driver finds the passenger side suddenly occupied by a monster dog.
"OUT!"
Who's aiming a ray gun at him.
They slam on the brakes, and then freeze.
ZZZZAP!
The driver, now an orangutang, blinks, and leaps onto a nearby awning.
"Heh."
Sparky twitches, and becomes human again. Driving should be simple enough, ordinary humans do it every day. She'll be at the zoo in no time!

Perhaps not.
...Well, even a mad genius can have trouble driving for the first time. Especially in a body with unfamiliar reflexes.
Passersby see a convertible wildly careening down the road, and then crashing into some rubble from a fight between a War-Bot and a bunny-bot. Human Sparky pulls herself from the wreck, shakes her head to clear it, and becomes a shaggy green behemoth once again.
Sparky looks at the carnage, grins, and tilts her head back and howls.
MUAHAHAHAHAAAWOOooOOooOOOO!!!

...It's probably a good thing Khan isn't nearby.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:23 pm 

~James~

"Of course we know Primary! And you want to go to the lab right now? Alright, you can bring your cookies~" James took Michael's elbow again, and with another crackle they were standing in a bedroom. Blueprints of engine schematics had been hung up all over the walls, and someone had mounted a power adapter to the side of the bed. In addition to the pillows on the bed, someone had made a nest of extra ones on the floor, which James stepped around.

"There's a lab through this door that should have most of the basic tings you need. Eliza or I will come get you at dinner, although if you want to explore before then, feel free. Do you want me to find you some introductory books on teleportation?"

~Archimedes~

"<Dad, Crash says Sparky is going on a rampage in downtown Xyon City.>"

Edgar poked something under a microscope with a toothpick. "That's nice. Maybe you can go bail her out later."

Archimedes wagged his tail. "<Can I go downtown?>"

"Did she invite you on the rampage?"

"<Well... no... I could go watch, though...>"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:58 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Dr. Beard followed Penny to the moat, struggling to think what the problem could be through the pop-fizz-spark of ideas, good, bad, and bizarre, that normally presided. Somehow, the balance of the three seemed to have shifted.
"Penny? Building a giant mechanical tripod-fish designed to target and annihilate all natural predators of the Australian Cuttlefish within a five mile radius would not be helpful, right? ...It should be the predators of the Giant Pacific Octopus, probably..."

YEARS IN THE PAST, BUT NOT MANY:
A young undergraduate student has just rapidly hybridized over half of the faculty and roughly one third of the student body with Nucella lapillus, the common dog whelk.
Newly recovered from the terrifying high of the newly Mad, she is pretty sure both her career plans and her life are over.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:14 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Mina couldn't see quite what was going on, but she could tell the fighters' guards were down. Taking a deep breath, she sprang out from behind her outcropping and tackled War, aiming to catch the rabbit in the same charge.

"...gotcha!" she said, panting a bit from the exertion, before looking at Sarcastic. "Sorry I was late. I think that was a pretty good distraction, though."

Post subject: Sarcastic invokes the mystical rules of "Not It"
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm 

-Michael-

A few minutes later, he'd managed to totally dismantle his cell phone. He quickly went over the process of testing each component, looking for potential problems and signs of damage on the electrical setup. The process was long, elaborate, and by necessity comprehensive. Since he wasn't sure what was going on he had to take the time to inspect everything.

And to make modifications whenever he saw something that he came up with ideas to make it cooler. Michael wasn't sure if it was just him or if EVERY mad scientist couldn't resist the urge to improve upon things when they were neck-deep in circuitry and solder, but he didn't care.

However, most of this is pretty boring, so we'll just get back to him after he's done.

---------------------------

-Sarcastic-

Her eyes were wide at the person who just pounced on War. "That... that's good. That's good, Miss." She wasn't sure what was happening, but right now her biggest goal was to get this girl off of War before War got explosions on this girl. She didn't know how Mina would react to that, and she quickly decided she'd rather not find out. "Now that you've caught him, I recommend getting off him. To get rope. To tie him up."

Sarcastic felt a bit lackluster lately. She wasn't sure what she had been thinking, charging off into this. She didn't really have any special gadgets or any superpowers, how did she really think she could handle this? She was flying by the seat of her pants and "tie him up" had really been the best excuse she had. The only reason she'd ran here in the first place was because she'd made the mistake of allowing herself to grow bored. She wasn't sure whether it was due to growing up in Xyon City or something in deeper in the core of her being, but she did ill-advised things in the name of fun whenever she let herself get bored. There were times she really hated the dangerlust she got when she was bored. She was fairly sure it was going to be the death of her, someday.

It was at about that moment that she heard a rather purple-ish "MUAHAHAHAHAAAWOOooOOooOOOO!!!" coming from elsewhere in the city.

Sarcastic responded to this the only way she would after risking her life once already. "...Not it! One of the rest of you guys has to investigate that. Who is it going to be?"

-----------------------

-Khan-

Still hanging from the tree in the middle of the park of Xyon City, Khan nursed what he assumed was some sort of odd paintball-induced hangover while grousing about how Sarcastic had left him behind. In the distance, he heard something.

MUAHAHAHAHAAAWOOooOOooOOOO!!!"

A chill ran down his spine. He was glad he wasn't anywhere near whatever THAT was.

-----------------------

-Michael-

He had a sugar cookie hanging out of his mouth as he finally figured out what was going on. "I've got it! It's not the-" The cookie fell as he held his arms up in triumph and exclaimed. It shattered against the floor, unfortunately forgotten as Michael stopped. It just didn't feel RIGHT to talk to himself about this. He talked to himself all the time, but not about potentially world-changing discovery.

It felt like he needed someone to explain this to. He needed to talk to someone and share this discovery. But who?

This James guy was being weirdly domestic and it was creepy. He hadn't even laughed manically at ALL, or tried to experiment on Michael, or ranted about how he had Michael in his clutches, and all Michael's experiences of how abductions were supposed to go suggested that he should have done almost anything OTHER than offer him lemonade and sugar cookies. Frederic and Jennifer were both busy, as was Frederic's Dad. He didn't want to tell his uncle. He was actually a little embarrassed that he almost considered telling Xerox. Demothesis was busy, and he didn't have any other minions. Those Crash and Burn characters he met in Jennifer's family were busy, and he didn't know anyone else he would have wanted to tell. So that left...

He groaned and then walked back to approach James. "...Hey, can you teleport someone here if I asked for them? A little guy by the name of Cleese, a small red blobby fellow?"

-Xin Yun