Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Sci Wars: The Second Battle
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:15 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-Jack-

(Note: For the foreseeable future, Whiteknight, Sgt. Diede can now be controlled by you as a playable NPC. If I feel that you are running her in a way that runs contrary to her character, or that her unique viewpoint is needed in a DM post, I will write for her again. Feel free to develop her as you wish.)

Sgt. Diede nodded, and the two of them traveled back to Jack's home. Within 3 hours Jack had managed to dismantle Zeta into several pieces. The first thing he could discover was that this machine was quite old. Some relatively minor servos and nonessential extremities seemed to have broken even before Jack had encountered it, and the inside of the casing was covered in a disheveled coat of dust. From his studies, it was entirely possible that Zeta was much, much older than he was. The second thing he discovered was that nearly every part of Zeta's outer hull was socketed and easily detachable. Her remaining hand, her arms, her shoulders, even her head, all of them were connected in a manner that made dismantling surprisingly easy. And several of the outer parts, such as the fists and the feet, had small weapons of sorts built into them. In her other fist he found a container of a greenish gas wielded to the frame, and he easily found the needles built into her arm that he'd seen before. All the weapons she had seemed quite easily concealable.

The third thing he discovered was how eerily similar to current technology Zeta was. She was old, it was true, but he'd seen a lot more complicated things during his days crawling through the ruins of old Mads. If she was as old as she looked, the technology she was comprised of would have been futuristic about a hundred or two hundred years ago. There was even what he believed to be a primitive wireless broadcasting unit, motherboard and hard drive inside her head unit... the motherboard slightly damaged but still serviceable, the hard drive untouched. All three looked like they had been handmade. But it was difficult to learn much about Zeta itself from merely dismantling it, save for what would be required to build the body of a copy of it. To find out any further information about it he might have to find a way to access the hard drive's memory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Brian-

(OOC: Rei Jin: The same goes for Renolds. As a character you're allowed to control him now if you wish, although I'll still be writing for him if for some reason he's needed to do something outside of your posts)

A brief meal and some small talk later, and Brian was surprised to find his cell phone ringing. He picked it up, hearing the voice of one of the techs from before ringing in his ear. "S-sir? I've looked over the prosthetics personally. From what I've learned, only the most recently built models were affected; the ones we assembled at the on-site factory just after you made your first visit here. Otherwise we'd have been swarmed by prosthetics earlier today!" The tech yawned loudly, and there was the faintest sound of what may have been an NES game in the background. "The chips in question are quite insidious, though! They seemed to be multipurpose and adaptable. I've never seen hardware like this: it seems like the chip almost adopts the function of whatever it would be replacing on a motherboard. But it also serves as a sort of remote control device: if the circuit it's integrated into has access to radio signals, its purpose shifts and it allows for manipulation of the entire system via emitted electrical charges that change depending on what radio signals it receives. So basically, someone was remotely controlling the prosthetics. Although... it's kinda strange: I recognise the brand logo that was printed on these chips: it's of a canadian computing manufacturer. But the strange thing is, I went to their website and searched for the chip's serial number, and they don't sell it. I don't even think they make them! Odd, huh?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Nicola-

(Snark: The same is going to go for Amy as with the previous people above soon. There's a few things that I need to have Amy do regarding getting into contact with the Narbonics and stuff, but after that she's yours if you want her. Just as SiB's been controlling multiple characters, feel free to run Amy as your own character once I give the ok, and I'll step in if necessary.)

Amy tilted her head. "Huh. That sounds pretty complicated. So what's gonna stop it from infecting the computers we don't want it to infect and ruining them or something?" She asked as they left the library, the computers inside already beginning to experience technical difficulties as they began spreading the "virus" into the internet. Amy hailed the bus that was going to carry them back to New York, and paid the fare for both of them. She folded her arms. "Not that I'm not ok with causing global chaos, but surely you've developed some sort of countermeasure or something that'll let you control it, right? It's just common sense, after all..."

The trip up was surprisingly uneventful. Oh sure, there was that lunatic that tried to hijack the bus and make it fly, claiming that his destiny was to "become the bus tour master of the sky" or somesuch nonsense, but that was a problem Amy solved with precision violence upside his head. The group pushed his unconscious body over into one corner and eventually tied him up with an extra-stretchy violet sweater someone's grandmother had knitted them. The two talked and kept a low profile for a while until they entered New York City limits. Once they departed from the bus, Amy led Nicola to a nearby internet cafe. "Hey, just wait here for a few hours, ok? I've already paid the bill for about 4 hours use of the computers here, and I need to find the girls on my own. If I'm seen walking around with a stranger they might act funny. Ok?" Amy smiled down to her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Thomas, Molly, and Randall-

Thomas noticed that the seals were indeed holding. He had, for the moment, prevented any further gas from entering into the room. However, he had yet to find a way to deal with the fact that he was still trapped in the locked down prison wing, and it was a safe bet that any moment the guards would catch wind to his little trick and come back in to try and capture him again. What could he do to escape?

(Molly and Randall's situation will not change until their players post again. Same with Reiniger)

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:11 am 
New Madsci

Randall grinned at the two guards as they brought the collar close to him. "Oh, well, I was just wondering if you were up on your wrestling lingo, mine is terribly out of date." He lashed out at Tandem Poetry with a kick to the stomach. "See in my day," he continued, as he knocked the obedience collar farther out of reach, and grabbed Poetry around the neck, "we called this one" and threw himself backward, slamming Poetry's head into the ground "a DDT." Releasing the poor guard, he rolled over and was on his feet with shocking speed, facing off against Flower. "But I'm willing to bet they've renamed it by now. Pity you weren't fans, I might have gone easy on you."

He is still grinning, somewhat maniacally, as he closed on the second guard, preparing to body slam the fellow. "The Great White Question Mark has returned! Muhahahaha!"

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:23 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

Professor Zobot wrote:
-Brian-

A brief meal and some small talk later, and Brian was surprised to find his cell phone ringing. He picked it up, hearing the voice of one of the techs from before ringing in his ear. "S-sir? I've looked over the prosthetics personally. From what I've learned, only the most recently built models were affected; the ones we assembled at the on-site factory just after you made your first visit here. Otherwise we'd have been swarmed by prosthetics earlier today!" The tech yawned loudly, and there was the faintest sound of what may have been an NES game in the background. "The chips in question are quite insidious, though! They seemed to be multipurpose and adaptable. I've never seen hardware like this: it seems like the chip almost adopts the function of whatever it would be replacing on a motherboard. But it also serves as a sort of remote control device: if the circuit it's integrated into has access to radio signals, its purpose shifts and it allows for manipulation of the entire system via emitted electrical charges that change depending on what radio signals it receives. So basically, someone was remotely controlling the prosthetics. Although... it's kinda strange: I recognise the brand logo that was printed on these chips: it's of a canadian computing manufacturer. But the strange thing is, I went to their website and searched for the chip's serial number, and they don't sell it. I don't even think they make them! Odd, huh?"

Brian nods as the tech head speaks to him over the phone, listening and taking in every detail.

Well, it's either that they don't make the chips and someone else is trying to shift the focus to them, or that they do and they're not doing it publicly. Black ops, or something like that. Relations between the US and Canada have never been good, and with the mads on the loose at the moment...

Seeing that there is someone out there who is targetting your company, to get to me to get my prosthetics, and we've got some kind of proof of it now, we should probably go to the military. Hardware like this will be very interesting to them, and they might have some idea what's going on.

Does our company have a military contact?

Internally, John is coaching Brian in the right things to say and think.Through this, and slowly, the two are becoming more close, starting to work together better, think more alike, enhancing their own abilities by co-operating rather than competing.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:27 pm 

-Brian-

The tech paused for a moment. "Not...as such, no. We've been hired by the military in prior occasions to provide prosthetic limbs for select distinguished personnel that have recieved purple hearts for injuries incurred that cost them a limb, but that has always been on demand and usually for specific use when it's been more cost-efficient to buy a single replacement limb for a specific person rather than to buy a large number and have the excess prosthetics lying around. For large scale demand the Military has previously gone with American Replacement Medical Services since they're a considerably larger company and have more mass-production facilities than Wild Arms inc. does. But we've always been the High Quality choice, sir!"

"I should mention that most of the chips are worthless now anyway. After you fried them they aren't holding a charge anymore. Happens a lot with devices that get EMPed. I got lucky and found a chip in an Arm that Renolds had already smashed offline and had been out of the range of your EMP thingy. After you entered into the final deal with our CEO she had a pull box set up for you in the lab just like all of us have; if you like I'll slip it into yours so you can play around with it later. As for the military stuff, I don't know much more than I've told you. You'd have to talk to someone in marketing or on the Board of Directors, or contact the military yourselves. But if the news is any indication, they've got their hands full lately anyway. Did you know a couple of hours ago some lunatic tried to terraform the entire state of Oragon into a giant swamp? They showed a team of Navy SEALS taking him down on the news after it happened."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Randall-

As he charged at the "Flower Arragning" guy, he noticed his opponent grinning, as he darted left and grabbed Randall's arm, using his momentum to flip him over and toss him further down the hall. "Flower" grinned. "Flower arranging... and Judo, eh buddy? You up for a little East vs. West action, tough guy?"

Meanwhile, "Tandem Pottery" guy was firmly out cold on the ground, his sidearm having slid along the floor.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:17 pm 

Hmm...

Put that chip aside for me, I'll have a look at it later. I might have to contact someone myself later.

Do you know of any way to trace where the signal came from or is going to? If we can get a lock on it, then we might be able to find out who's been acting against us.

John pipes up inside Brian's head, uncomfortable about the present situation.

What are you thinking about Brian?

Contacting Prast. He might want to know about this, or maybe have some information that could help us out.

Not sure that's wise... the guy wasn't too far off killing us off.

Perhaps, but we haven't done anything wrong at this stage, he's got no reason to think we've gone bad.

He's not so worried about bad, just chaos. And this definitely counts as chaos.

Nonetheless... he's our best chance to get further with this. If he has no idea about who's doing it, he'll probably be interested to know that someone is out to cause chaos and hurt innocents in the process.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:52 am 
New Madsci

Randall slams into the floor hard, or so it sounds. He lies there for a second, then jumps back to his feet. He isn't cackling, though he is still grinning. "Ha! Nicely done. Been out of the biz too long, and I underestimated you. Well done, well done indeed! He stretches the kinks out of his back, then charges toward Flower once more. But instead of trying to grab him, he turns at the last moment, and makes a dive for Poetry's gun, rolling over and spraying ammo wildly in Flower's direction, aiming low, in case it proves to be something fatal.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:23 pm 
New Madsci

Thomas

Satisfied that the gas was contained for now Thomas turned back to the real problem,the large and very firmly shut security door blocking his path. He examined it for a few moments while he decided what to do.

"Man the is one big door. Looks solid too. It's time like this I wished I had a blow torch with me not a screwdriver. Hmm I wonder if I can do something with this control panel." Tapping a few combinations in and not coming up with anything Thomas quickly comes to the conclusion that hacking high security doors is beyond his skills.

"Well I didn't really think that would work even if it was worth a shot. Time to break it open and see what makes it tick then. I love this bit I should make it plan A from now on."
Taking careful aim he uses the shrink gun to make the panel small enough for him to pull it out of the wall. Then he breaks open the back of the panel and starts tracing the circuit inside to see where the power would be applied if the correct password was entered.

After a few minutes he had it figured out and turned to the mess of exposed wiring hanging in the space where the control panel used to be.

"Ok so the red wire goes onto the orange wire and the green wire onto the neon pink one. And then blue onto violet and this brown goes here. Ok thats down now just the hookup to base power left. I hope this works. I really don't want to move onto plan C. It's not as much fun as plan B was.
"

After checking the wires one last time he makes the connection to the bases power grid and turns to see if anything happened to the door.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:38 am 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Amy tilted her head. "Huh. That sounds pretty complicated. So what's gonna stop it from infecting the computers we don't want it to infect and ruining them or something?" She asked as they left the library, the computers inside already beginning to experience technical difficulties as they began spreading the "virus" into the internet. Amy hailed the bus that was going to carry them back to New York, and paid the fare for both of them. She folded her arms. "Not that I'm not ok with causing global chaos, but surely you've developed some sort of countermeasure or something that'll let you control it, right? It's just common sense, after all..."

Nicola shook her head. "No. This isn't gray goo, Amy. The worst it can do is destroy an electronic communications network, along with any data connected to it. It's easy to keep backups on offline machines, so I have a way to keep my work safe, as does everyone else once they realize they ought to take this seriously. I can't really think why I'd want to counter it." A little belatedly, she glanced around to make sure nobody was listening, but the bus wasn't crowded; nobody was near enough to overhear without trying, and most of them looked preoccupied with their own thoughts.

"More practically, I couldn't have implemented anything like that. Right now, the program doesn't receive any input at all, so it doesn't have a way to receive commands, much less process them; it would have to be much more complex to do that, which would slow it down. And any safeguard I implemented could be found by other people But even if I had solved those problems, it wouldn't work. The entire design revolves around the fact that the program changes over time—evolves, if you like. There would certainly be pockets of the program in which my countermeasure was gone, or nonfunctional—and those would spread very quickly once I removed their competition. I really couldn't change that."

----------------------------------------------

Nicola nodded, and watched as Amy walked off into the crowd. She didn't really have a use for the computer, but it was a thoughtful gesture. It was also oddly... proprietary was not quite the word. Protective, maybe. A caretaker ensuring her charge would be all right. She supposed she understood why Amy thought of her like that—she'd been a hostage when they first met, and then a computer technician. People often thought of technicians as sheltered, especially when it came to computers.

To be perfectly rational, she wasn't wrong; Nicola couldn't sustain herself alone very well, and between the two of them Amy had far more combat experience. It might have grated on some people's egos to be looked at as someone who needed protecting, but after examining the option, Nicola discarded it as foolish and unnecessary. She really didn't need egotism getting in her way. She had plenty of problems as it was.

... or did she? Nicola considered what she needed to do. They needed a way to make a living, of course, but Amy was looking into that. No point dwelling on it until she knew what Amy's friends could provide. There was the matter of staying out of government hands, and away from Zeta, but both of those were largely passive problems. Unless she mysteriously figured out how to build a low-budget automated deathray, she didn't see anything she could do about it.

She paused, but the universe had apparently missed its cue to give her an idea of how to go about building a deathray. Not for the first time, Nicola wondered whether Amy was right about her being a spark; she seemed to lack that strange knack for building impossible machines out of garbage scraps. There were no inspirations for deathrays, no dreams of robot armies, no mysterious contraptions built in her sleep. Everything made a little more sense, but only because she was thinking about it rationally. Either she wasn't like other sparks, she'd concluded, or the media had simply portrayed them wrong.

There were no grandiose wishes to take over the world, either, which was almost irritating. Her goal in life had always been to create artificial intelligence, new life... and she'd found a way to do it three days ago. The biggest problem before her, it seemed, was that she wasn't quite sure what she wanted to do now. It might be interesting to experiment with alternative ways of creating intelligences, but she didn't really have the resources for that... How did mad scientists generally get the money to start building their death machines and robot armies, anyway? Were they sane enough to file a few patents and use the proceeds from those, or could they really work exclusively with junk and stolen parts?

It would have been nice to have someone to talk to about that, but Nicola didn't think anyone was going to turn up. Instead, she turned to the computer and began looking through the news since she'd been kidnapped. She'd gotten a vague picture of what was happening from Amy, but knowing more would never hurt...

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:02 am 

-Jack-

The two of them withdrew from Jack's home, as Sargent Diede drove them back to the military base with the remains of Zeta. Jack went over what he could discover from the dismantled body, while Sgt. Diede reported into General Heisenberg. Eventually, Diede returned and met with Jack. "Alright. New orders from the top. For the present moment, if you're done going over the machine you found, the General would like to have some of our engineers investigate the remains of Zeta. With your approval, of course. But the General does have something he'd like us to look into..." She reached into her pocket and handed Jack a list. "Recently there have been a number of computer issues with machines across the nation. From what little we know thus far the source is some sort of virus that's unlike anything we've seen previously. It seems to be programmed to adapt itself to it's environment, and left unchecked in a computer system it can evade and even erase typical antivirus programs before it has a chance to be erased. And from what we've seen, it's spreading over the internet quickly and getting more and more sophisticated the longer it's allowed to persist. While the United States is already preparing to issue a nationwide warning to people telling them to disconnect their computers from the internet and attempt to reformat their computers if they can. Hopefully this thing can be purged completely before it spreads too far, but as of the moment it seems like the end of eCommerce as we know it. If this thing isn't taken care of it will literally end the internet as we know it, and it could take the nation years to recover."

She looked at him. "While our background check showed that your specialty isn't in programming, intelligence believes that this is definitely the work of a Mad, although not one that we know anything about. So the General has asked that we try to track down the person who created this thing. It seems like we're looking for a needle in a haystack, but..." She smirked. "Tracing backwards the list of computer complaints that seem to be linked to the virus, the United States intelligence network has identified that one of the earliest places that had any computers infected was a state Library in the heartland of America. It's possible that that library was where the virus was first exposed to any computers. But one of the interesting things about libraries in the United States is that most of the state or federally funded ones require anyone using the computers to access the internet to be a registered member of the library, and to log on using their Library card or something along those lines. And this one wasn't any exception. What I just handed you was a list of everyone who used a computer in the library for internet access in the last seven days before they reported the first signs of computer difficulty. And what's particularly interesting is one of the names on the list: Amy Ferrington. One of the 3 terrorists that attacked New York recently with a Gearspider. You were hip-deep in that incident, remember?" She grinned. "This is just speculation on our part, but for the group to have operated a Gearspider, they probably would have needed the help of a Mad Scientist. And now one of the 3, Amy, is registered as using a computer in a library?" she smirked. "It's too unlikely to be a coincidence, or so my gut says. Our current orders are to track down the genius programmer responsible for creating this virus, and I would recommend that we try and find Amy Ferrington first. We've been given clearance to access what resources we need, within reason, for this job. What's your opinion?"

-Nicola-

Reading a news website, Nicola learned a lot. Indeed, it seemed like there was a lot of chaos in the word currently. India was currently fighting a war against a single person who had created an army of animated statues, and Des Moines had lost all power due to a self proclaimed "Lightning God" attempting to rewire an entire power plant. Strange events had begun occurring around the world, and almost no governing body on the planet was unaffected. Strangely enough, though, there was little news regarding the status of Canada.

It was shortly afterwards that Nicola's computer began to experience odd errors, until it began to crash entirely. A small number of other patrons in the internet cafe had migrated to one of the representatives and were complaining about similar problems. Nicola eventually felt a hand on her shoulder, and she turned to see what looked to be Amy's face, but with a completely different outfit and hairstyle. Amy nodded. "Hey, come on. We've gotta go. I've got a new disguise for you too, we'll find someplace to change on the way. I found one of the old gang, a girl we call Suetwo, and I've arranged for a meeting, but we need to move fast. She's really anxious about meeting with us... something happened here and a lot of the gang isn't around anymore. I don't want to give her any reasons to skip out on me and we've only got an hour to get to the meeting place.

-Randall and Thomas-

Randall dived for the gun, pointing it at "Flower", only to discover that the gun fired what looked like a bolt of lighting. It hit "Flower" who twitched and went flying backwards into a wall, his hair standing on end and his body spasming randomly. He blinked as the gun leaked smoke out of the barrel. "Flower" wasn't moving anymore, and a loud hissing noise was escaping from his body. For a moment he looked at the weapon, surprised.

Meanwhile, Thomas was manipulating wires. The wiring job was surprisingly simple, he was disappointed. He was going to have to complain later. The door sputtered and lurched open.

Back in Randall's room, a loud noise caught his attention, as he saw a door that had previously been shut jerk open, revealing an oddly dressed man with several balls of foam stuck to his body, followed by what looked to be a gigantic rat, both entering the room. Two Mads had just encountered each other for the first time. What would result?

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:08 pm 
New Madsci

Randall looked down at the gun, his face a mixture of shock and interest. With a shrug, he tossed it on the floor next to Poetry. "Well, I suppose an advanced taser is well and all, but I really had expected something...more." He moved to check to see if Flower had the same kind of weapon.

The loud sound of the door came as a distraction, but what stood beyond it made the distraction quite pleasant. He wondered for a moment about the balls of foam, those might be organic, but then all that disappeared. "Wow, tell me that's not a robot! Green fur, multiple tails... and the size!" His eyes light up once more. "Oh, man! Random mutant, or genetically engineered? And was it born that way?" He moves toward the hapless mouse, wanting to study it, understand it, and has completely forgotten about his escape plan. Which is just as well, calling it a plan in the first place is being quite generous.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:59 pm 

Well. Her work was spreading faster than she'd imagined. That time with the virus protection programs had apparently been worthwhile. News websites that were frequently accessed and linked to would be among the first to succumb, of course, but it was still a good sign. The news was more or less what she'd expected... save Canada's relatively untouched status. It was likely that they'd kept the media from reporting on emerging Mads in their territory, but the fact that they'd been able to do that made her wonder. Clearly, they'd had nothing like the incidents in India or Chicago, or they wouldn't have been able to cover it up.

Nicola looked up, recognized Amy after a second, nodded. That made sense; even if nobody was actively looking for her (which was hardly a certainty, between Zeta and the government), she didn't really want anyone she knew recognizing her. "All right."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:28 pm 
New Madsci

(sorry about missing the last post. Totally my bad.)

Jack

Jack was frustrated. Poring over Zeta had been interesting, and the design... it was phoenomenal. It even gave him a few ideas regarding humanoid automoton construction, and at the time it was constructed, it must have been the work of a truly incredible Mad. It was almost like the old days... only now, he had a great deal more insight into how the thing functioned, not just its history.

But still, he couldn't crack the thing. So maybe this new project was just what he needed. Something to get his mind off.
Certainly, let them have a look at it... but tell them to be careful. And tell them to make sure it stays in the shielded container I built for it - the thing's got failsafes all over, and I have a suspicion it's designed to reboot itself at intervals. Don't want her... it waking back up. But I have had time to make a few other sketches... He grinned Why don't we see if we can track down this other Mad. If we have a few extra days, I might be able to whip up something extra special... though I will need a few... supplies. He grinned wide. His mind was full of gears and grand designs, and the list he handed Diede was... extensive, to say the least. Whatever he had in mind, it was Big

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:47 pm 
New Madsci

Thomas

As Randall rushed past him Thomas took a few steps into the room to avoid being run over in the doorway. As he began looking the room to see if anything of interest was in he area he began thinking about the large imposing man who was now examining Molly.

"Holy crap that guy looks like he could snap me in half. Doesn't look like he will though as focused as he is on that mouse they gave me. He must be a Mad, they're the only ones who can just totally focus like that. Still he could have at least "

"Hey is that a gun on the floor!"

All thoughts of Randall fled from Thomas's mind as he rushed over to the fallen guard to examine his weapon. As soon as he got close enough to see it a broad smile appeared on his face.

"Amazing, a fully functional mega Taser. I've never seen one that was intact before, and this one has some kind of souped up power supply too." As he started disassembling the gun something sparked in Thomas's mind and his face slowly took on a look of amazement.

Thomas immediately started taking the wires and components he had taken from the control panel out of his pockets, and started scavenging his other two weapons for parts. His only concern now was finding enough parts to build the weapon he had just thought of, and some test subjects to use it on of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:07 am 
New Madsci

Molly 022

She was passably annoyed. Freedom han't been what she expected. Of course she had expected a lot of bad things to happens . Small (although not so small in her case) rodents alway did. But she expected the danger tot take the form of needles, claws and fangs. she certainly hasn't expected the boall of foam.
No matter how much she clawed and debated herself she just couldn't get rid of the stuff. And it was still expanding. But, worst of all, it wasn't even comestible !
she was still hungry and feeling a weird sensation in her back. Although she couldn't exactly put her claw on what it could be, dhe had a feeling it couldn't be good.
She kept following Thomas, but her tiny little mind was so tense that it was obviously about to snap.

When they enterd the room, Molly felt the presence of onther of those weird mamals. Tense, she put herself in a defensive position, expecting anything from the newcommer.

"Squeeeeerngrrrrrr" (this is supposed to be a mix between a squeek and snarl)

"Oh, man! Random mutant, or genetically engineered? And was it born that way?"

Well, she had expected almost anything, insane scientific curiosity hadn't been part of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:34 am 

-Jack-

Sargent Diede looked over his request. "All this stuff? Well... it's more or less do-able, I suppose. Some of it we can get from our surplus gear, and I'll see if we can get a few grunts to get some of the other stuff." She put the list in her pocket. "Give me a day and I'll get you most of it. One or two of the rarer things might take a bit longer, alright?" She folded her arms. "Don't worry about the robot. We are taking every precaution." She folded her arms and turned to walk away.

(You can skip ahead to when you're done with what you're doing if you'd like with your next post. It'll take a few days in-game for everything to get set up, anyway)

-Nicola-

Amy led Nicola through the streets of New York City, moving carefully and with purpose. "I wasn't actually a member, since it was after my time, but I used to be pretty good friends with a girl who joined a gang around here. Her name's Sue, and we've kept in touch since I went off for college and fell in with that organization. I've only heard what she's told me and what I've heard through the grapevine, but apparently the Narbonics are a pretty significant group in the city. If there's anyone who could hide us, it'd be them."

She led Nicola to an alleyway in the middle of nowhere. "She said to meet here. It's got some Wifi access if you get bored." Amy tossed her a Palm-computer she had pickpocketed from someone. "So... I guess we just wait here for her? Keep a close watch for her, ok?"

Unbenownst to Amy, there had been a person following them for the past 3 blocks... a man in a black trench coat...

-Thomas, Randall, and Molly 022-

Thomas had found himself in a large lab room, with a wide variety of tools, parts, and chemicals he could play with. His mind buzzed at the possibilities. However, it looked as if there had been some sort of fight here, as everything was disheveled and laid out in disarray. Several liquid chemicals had been knocked over and dripping on the floor, forming pools of various odd, sometimes acidic smelling, sometimes tasty smelling liquids.

Randall, meanwhile, was fascinated by the odd giant three-tailed rat with green fur, which was responding by growling at him.

"Ah...so these three are the causes of rebellion..." Col. Phelps moved out into the room. "I never would have two newcomers and a lab rat to be so much trouble." He was holding what looked to be an enormous gun of some sort. "The three of you won't be leaving here alive." He scowled, his mustache twitching.

-Brian-

The lab guy sighed. "No... The chip's inert again now. We can't trace the signal without knowing the frequency that activated it originally, and that requires it to be contacted by whatever the source of this whole thing was. If we knew what sort of frequency was broadcast to activate it we could probably trace it if it was still being broadcast, but we'd have to pinpoint an exact frequency between within the range of about 3 Hz to 300 GHz. It could probably be done, but it'd take a while to figure out which signal works with the chip. If you really want to try I suppose we could experiment on it, but it might take days to identify the exact signal. You sure you wanna try it?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:38 pm 

Brian sighs

No, don't worry about it, I'll look into it myself later.

Thanks for everything though, put that chip aside for me and we can talk more later.

Goodbye.

Brian then heads back to his hotel room, leaving Renolds to go home for the day and get some rest. He'd likely need some time to recover from his injuries anyway.

The next day...

Brian was in the office at Wild Arms Prosthetics, using the internal database as well as the Yellow Pages to try and get a contact within the military. Ideally, he'd like to talk with someone in Mad Research or the command group associated with the Gear Spider incident.

Seeing that the military are denying that there was EVER a Gear Spider on the loose, perhaps pursuing that avenue would be a good way to go...

Eventually he finds the number for the local command post and dials in.

Good morning, my name is Brian Johnson, and I was hoping to speak to Mister Timothy Prast. I met him when the Gear Spider attacked downtown, he seemed to know what he was talking about in regards to Mad Tech, and I have information on a possible national security risk relating to Mad Tech that I need to discuss with him. Can you connect me through?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:52 pm 
New Madsci

The next couple of days flew by. Frankly, they were mostly a blur to Jack. But all through them, he could feel a hand on his shoulder and a whisper in his ear, always pointing out the little things he'd missed. Adjust the flow compensator here, love. Make sure the pressure shield works all the way around. Recalibrate the gravity nullifier for more power.

It was so Nice of those Army gentleman to give him everything he needed. Well... not everything. The first day was spent simply making tools. Well, at first, it was just tools to make tools to make... Ahem. In any case, he made a lot of tools. Yes... oh so many. And then, of course, there were less. Curious. It seemed that the more advanced things got, the simpler they really became. Refining. Like ore, perhaps. Mmm...

But in any case. It was finished. He beamed up at hit - at her, for these sorts of things usually used the female pronoun, didn't they? He turned as Diede walked in - the first person to be allwed into the vast construction hangar since he'd started. They might have been watching him, but they hadn't interfered. He certainly hadn't needed anyone mucking about, disturbing his work while he was busy... that wouldn't have done at all. But now it was done. So it was all right.

Diede stared for a few moments. Her jaw worked up and down, and then she closed it. Jack grinned manically at her.

What's the matter, Sargeant? You look like a fish out of water.

"A Zepplin? Why the hell did you need a Zepplin?"

Well, it's not really a Zeppelin when you get down to it. It's an airship. The "gasbag" is actually made of an alloy - titanium plus a few rare elements. And it's full of facilities. I just liked the aesthetic. I got the idea from some of the old superfortresses you see in the Museums. At first I was going to build a tracking device, but I decided a mobile laboratory/workshop/command center would be more... efficient. And it wasn't that hard.

"And... you don't think that will be conspicuous? Flying over middle America in a flying-frakking-fortress? Especially one that's painted in gilt-and-brass metalics and looks like something Verne would have built?"

"I happen to like Verne's aesthetic, though she's much more advanced than most of his works. And besides, it doesn't matter what color it's painted when the active camoflauge is engaged. So, when can you be ready to leave?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:21 pm 
New Madsci

Randall keeps studying the mouse, if from a distance because of the growling. "Fascinating. Oh, hey Phelps. Good to see you again. Got that situation under control yet? You should have your guards do more training, though. I mowed through them like they were a couple amateurs. Plus, they really need better hobbies. Flower Arranging? Tandem Poetry? Piffle."

Finally things seem to click together in his mind. He looks up and around the room. "Wait. Oh, I guess we are the problem? Well, shoot. I guess there goes my good performance review." Studying the chemicals around the room, he seem a whole lot of options, though the mixtures on the ground are troubling. No telling exactly what is in them. Still, I can guess... He decides to chance it, and knocks over another table, spilling more chemicals into the mix, and grins as one of them starts making a cloud. Though, he had no idea there were traces of unknown gasses in the air...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:20 pm 
New Madsci

Thomas

Thomas was busy at work on the Mark III version of his new gun. Mark I had been a primitive collection of scraps quickly abandoned once he found the lab he was currently in. Mark II on the other hand had exploded in his face while he was working on the power supply. Hopefully he had fixed that flaw. He didn't have any more eyebrows to lose.

Focused as he was on not having his work blow up this time Thomas didn't notice when Phelps or even when Randall started talking to him. What finally drew his attention was when a large cloud of the newly created gas blew into his face.

"Hey watch where you wave those chemicals. I'm in the middle of something over here!" Shouted Thomas as he looked around to see where the cloud had come from. It was only then that Thomas finally noticed that Phelps had come in.

"Oh hey, Colonel. I'm happy to report that I managed to get that gun you gave me working. Turns out it was a shrink ray. I can build you more copies if you want, but I think it was actually rather inefficient. Give me a couple of days and I can build you a much better one. Oh and a few of the test subjects I was using dropped what I can only call a large combat foam gun. Those were a snap to figure out. Just get me a computer and I'll be able to design a system to mass produce improved versions of the shrink rays and foam guns no problem."

Thomas finally noticed that Colonel Phelps appeared angry and was waving a gun around. He immediately jumped to the wrong conclusion.

"Oh wow did you want me to work on that gun next. Sorry I got a little distracted with this side project I came up with. Here let me show you."

Turning back to his work bench picked up the thing he had been working on. It looked more like an electronics project more than anything else, with wires and leds sticking out all over it, but it was obviously a rifle of some kind.

"Sorry about the appearance, since this is only the prototype I didn't worry too much about making it look nice. Anyway I'm sure you don't care about that so I'll tell you what it is. Working on that shrink ray gave me some ideas on how matter can be affected on a molecular level. So using that as a base I made this. Theoretically it can shrink targets just like the original shrink ray, but it can also make them grow again or affect their internal layout and structure changing their shape. I haven't thought up a good name for it but I'm sure I'll think of something."

For a moment stared proudly at his creation, then his face took on a look of frustration. "The only problem is the stupid controls refuse to calibrate properly. It tends to switch around and cause random effects on the target. It's really annoying to be trying to test the shrink function only to have the test object turn inside out, or randomly twist into the pretzel and grow to twice its size. But I'm sure I'll work it out eventually."

Smiling Thomas walked towards the colonel and waved his prototype rifle a bit. "Here you can take this over to another engineer to see if they can spot what's wrong with it, and I'll work on figuring out that gun you have."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:22 pm 

-Nicola-

"Come on... where is she? Suetwo didn't stand me up, did she?" Amy looked around, folding her arms and tapping her right foot at a rapid tempo. She looked around the alleyway, scowling.

Abruptly, a hand from the shadows darts out and grabs Nicola. A man in a black trenchcoat glares out at the two of them, withdrawing a knife. "Don't...make a move... remove any and all your valuables and put them on the ground now or you're both dead."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Brian-

The receptionist on the other end of the line considered the statement. "I'm sorry, but we have no record of any Gear Spider incident on file, and the military has gone on record of stating that the incident described by the press was merely large gas leak that caused an explosion. I understand you are confused, sir, but occasionally the press forgets to double-check the information they get off the street with official military records. You're not the first misinformed citizen wanting to know more about the event. I apologize, but if you insist on speaking with someone from the military about it, you'll have to come in person and provide evidence as to why your claim is important. With the recent chaos our nations military is running around the clock putting out fires all over the States." She took a breath and snapped a bubble on her gum. "And you are mistaken about Mr. Prast, sir. Timothy Prast is not formally employed with the United States military... he's a freelancer that was hired in order to help with a Mad tech-related incident. From what I understand, since he's one of the last remaining people alive who actually lived through the times this stuff was being built he's pretty much able to name his own price due to his now-unique expertise. If I remember correctly he's worked with several nations in the past few years. But I do have some contact information I could give you for him if you have Level C military security clearance."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Randall, Molly 022, and Thomas-

Several things happened in rapid succession.

First, the chemicals Randall spilled together began to pool and intermingle, until they started producing a green cloud of some sort of airborn chemical. The cloud grew and began to fill the room.

As Thomas began to move forward, waving his odd looking gun, Col. Phelps shouted angrily and fired at Thomas, firing what appeared to be a bright purple beam of energy. However, he had been somewhat startled by the cloud, so his shot went wide, whizzing just to the left of Thomas and rushing past. The enormous purple beam narrowly missed Molly 022, burning one of her tails badly and leaving a charred mark on the wall.

At this point the green gas cloud had completely engulfed the room leaking out through the opening Col. Phelps was standing in. He began to fire rapidly, but no longer had any vision, so he had started firing wildly.

Meanwhile, everyone's exposed skin began to feel somewhat tingly as it came into contact with the gas...

-Jack-

Sgt. Diede looked up at the "Zepplin", honestly surprised despite herself. "I-I think I could be ready to leave in a half hour. But how... how is that thing powered? What sort of crew are you going to need to fly that thing? Does it really have a cloaking device?" She sighed and shook her head. "I'm just... I'll just go get my things and get back to you. You're going to answer my questions once I get back, got it?"

She returned in about 20 minutes, carrying a backpack slung around her back. "What? When you've been in service for a few years you learn to travel light." She resumed staring back at the "Zepplin" in awestruck confusion. "So how is that thing going to help us with the manhunt, anyway? You have a plan?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:14 pm 

Brian sighs, and glares at the phone, although that does nothing for his situation.

Obviously I was wrong when I thought that the military might be concerned about the risk to their infrastructure when there is a rogue Mad Scientist who has developed a chip that can mimic any other type of processor, but give it's developer remote control via an RF transmitter... I've seen it in action, and it took an EMP to knock the devices out.

Oh, and whoever is installing them is getting into and out of high security locations without detection.

Would you prefer to put me in touch with someone you have in house then? Or shall I just leave you to sit in the dark about this?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:57 pm 

-Brian-

The receptionist sounded a bit confused. "Sooo... should I go get someone in high command, or what?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:38 pm 

Obviously sarcasm was lost on some people.

Yes, you should get SOMEONE who actually understands what the hell I'm talking about, and has clearance to do something about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:58 am 
Hyperkeeper

The man leered as the two women began to slowly reach for their wallets.
"Thaaaat's right. Now put them on the gr--"

Suddenly, the man's eyes rolled back in his head, and he collapsed. Probably the result of SueTwo hitting him over the head.
Amy blinked. Where had she come from?

"Sorry about that," S2 said, "but we just wanted to make sure there wasn't anyone following you. ...which there was... ...anyway, come on."

Quickly, S2 let them through the maze of cramped alleys. When they got close to the Narbonics' new lair, she stopped, producing two cheap blindfolds.
"I'm even sorrier about this, believe me," she said, "but Lily insisted. I know you, Amy, but you," she indicated Nicola, "could be anybody. So, if you don't mind..."

The two grumbled, Amy somewhat louder, but wore the blindfolds anyway. After being guided a slightly roundabout route to the lair and climbing down the ladder (under careful direction by S2), the two's blindfolds came off.

"Ah," said Lily, "welcome to the new home of the Narbonics. Or what's left of them, anyway."
She looked the two visitors up and down.

"Now, what can we do for you?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:18 pm 
New Madsci

Jack

Jack looked confused for the briefest of moments before remembering what she was talking about. He knew he'd built this thing with a purpose! "Hmmm? Oh, yes, well... It's lightly armed, of course, but the main purpose of the Zepplin is as... well, a sort of mobile command center. It's got some very sophisticated sensor and communication suites - though I had to scrounge the software from other sources, since, as you noted, I'm not much of a programmer. All I need is a few computer experts and perhaps a few soldiers, if you have some to spare... and the plan is to go to the insertion point of this virus and track it down as best we can. In this 'baby', as I believe the term is, we can get where we need to be quickly, track down this 'Amy' person, and, if she turns out not to be the one, start from scratch and find the real culprit."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:10 pm 
New Madsci

Randall

Wondering what exactly the mist would do to him, Randall can't just run away from it, even if there were somewhere to run. So, he does the next most logical thing (in his own mind, anyway), and heads into it, away from Phelp's arc of fire. "You know, Phelps, I might have just stuck around. I really liked the opportunity you were offering. But an obedience collar? Yeah, while I'd have done the work, I'd much rather it be of my own free will. Well, except for the whole forcing me at gun point. Ok, so maybe this whole deal was a bad idea..." Trying to keep track of his opponent in the mist is hard enough without it changing him, but once he gets to what seems like the right area, he runs toward Phelps at full speed, and launches himself into the air...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:38 am 
New Madsci

Thomas

Chemicals were not Thomas's specialty so he wasn't sure what the gas cloud could do, but failed experiments in the past had taught him that most floating gas clouds did not have beneficial effects in people who touched them. So he began looking for a way out.

"So colonel I take this to mean that you don't want me to study that gun. In fact, given the way you keep shooting it would appear that you have demoted me to test subject. I'm afraid I can't let that happen. I've seen what happens to my own test subjects and I have too many things to build to let that happen to me."

Reaching down Thomas set his gun to shrink and began firing at where he thought Col. Phelps was. He rather hoped the gun would fail this time. If the colonel exploded messily like the last thing he had tested the gun on it would be much easier to deal with him. At the same time as he was firing Thomas also began moving toward the opening where Col. Phelps was, hoping to get out of contact with the gas as quickly as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 pm 
New Madsci

Molly 022

Molly had a simple mind and a pain in her tail (one of them anyway, she still had to fully understand what happened). Her skin was tingling and her ears ringing. She was hungry and furious. And that little weird biped just hurted her.
Squeeeeeeeeeck
Aproximate traduction:*screw inteligence, it's overated*
Obeying her long delayed instincts, she simply launched herself at Phelps, ignoring guns, waves, lasers, chemicals, gases and the also charging Randall, and bited as hard as she could. She then proceed to claw what might be left.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:32 pm 

-Nicola-

Amy folded her arms. "To be honest, Sue, we kinda need a place to lay low. I'm not saying anything, but it'd be better if we weren't seen for a while, if you understand. That, and I was kinda hoping you had some software or broken computers or something to keep Nicola happy. She's some kind of genius programmer. So, can you help us?"

-Randall, Thomas, and Molly 022-

The gas itself had began to do it's work, as anyone exposed to it soon found small green leaves budding off of any exposed limbs of their body... arms, legs, and even, in the case of one creature, tails.

Thomas' shrink ray shot went wide, hitting a poorly placed mirror on one side of the room and ricocheting off of it, flying bakc and striking Randall, who immediately shrunk 2 feet. Randall and Molly both charged Phelps at the same time. Phelps, not able to see it coming due to the mist, fired crazily and hit nothing as he was tackled, scratched, and bitten in a matter of moments. The gun he was holding went flying out of his hands, skidding along the floor far across the room out of everyone's reach. Phelps fought back as best he could, punching Molly on the nose firmly and pushing himself away. "Fools! Fools!" Wounded, he began to crawl away. "I'll find some more guards! You'll never live through this day! No one escapes from the Canadian Mad Processing Plant! Ok, well, Zeta did, but not on my watch..."

-Brian-

The receptionist gave Brian a brief apology and put him on hold for about 15 minutes. The music was surprisingly soothing. Eventually, someone else picked up, a gruff sounding man. "This is General Heisenberg. Before you begin, let me be clear that the only reason I'm speaking to you personally is because what you told our receptionist triggered over 19 different security flags. She's currently being debriefed. Now, I'm a busy man, so I'd appreciate it if we got to the point right now. What proof do you have of this alleged control chip design?"

-Jack-

Sgt. Diede nodded. "I'll fill out the necessary paperwork and get the General to lend us some men we can make use of." Within the next half hour they had selected several technology experts and a skeleton crew of 13 men to join the two of them on Jack's aero-balloon thing.

(Note: Just tell me where Jack's planning on going and what he's intending to do once he gets there and we'll make a quick mini-post updating it)

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:35 pm 

I have a working version of it in my possession, which I managed to salvage after I was attacked by several machines with the same designed chip in them, being controlled remotely. The chip was put in place during a break in at Wild Arms prosthetics. We have some security footage of the break-in, and I can confirm that the person responsible is personally targetting me, for reasons I'm not sure of. They left me a note, and signed it Z.

I'm not sure as to why I interest them, but it might be my EMP cannon, or maybe my newly designed advanced prosthetics that run from power drawn out of the earth's magnetic field...

Brian decided to try and do the General's head in, he was truly sick of the run-around he'd been getting for the last week and he just wanted to get to the point.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next