Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Regarding Narbonic...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:13 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

...when did most of the people on the forum start reading it? I know this is only peripherally related to the strip, but I'm curious.

I got into Narbonic through Skin Horse, so I'm (possibly?) the member of the forum that's newest to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:43 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Wow its been so long ago I don't really remember. I think I started reading it when I saw a link from cascade failure. Or queen of wands. One of those ad thingies. Damned if I remember what strip it was, but I do remember spending a july weekend reading the whole archives during one of the "we're giving you narbonic for free for just this week" or something. When it was in the pay comic thingy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:00 pm 
Hyperkeeper

I found Narbonic (the original) long after it had completed. I read it all the way through... then found out I was just in time to start the Director's Cut!

So, I've been in almost since the (second-time-around) ground floor. However, I got on to Skin Horse at the very beginning. And so far, it's been one heck of a ride...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:13 pm 
New Madsci

I'm not real sure when, but I know I had at least a few months where I followed the daily updates before it ended. I'm guessing summer 2006.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:20 pm 
New Madsci

I think it was about 9 months old. I remember being comfortable with the Yahoo discussion group and resisting joining the new fangled Nice board for a month or two.

edit: out of curiousity, I checked and found I joined the Yahoo group in April, 2001.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:31 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

last year, i clicked a link from little dee and was hooked! i hate i missed
the first go round but the director's cut is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:34 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

Last Saturday, 12th of April. (Found it on tvtropes.org.) One positively epic archive binge later, interrupted only for Mass attendance the next evening (not, I advise, for any such pedestrian concerns as sleep), had a new world-favorite webcomic and a profound sorrow that the story actually came to an end (with resolution and everything, not just the artist wandering off into the sunset and updates ceasing until the fanbase vanishes! What is this nonsense?!). The Director's Cut is fun, and I'll pick up the print editions once my credit card stops being maxed out, but still...stories I enjoy so much aren't supposed to end!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:39 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Back oars, you did that in 3 days?!

Wow.

P.S: Would you like a mint? (innocent grin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:57 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

Sure, why not?* As an aspiring evil law student who used to be a science major, speed-reading plus the ability to unnervingly fixate on whatever captures my interest to the expense of rational needs is a valuable if oft-misused talent. Perhaps there are more reasons than I care to admit as to why I felt a connection with so many of the characters....

(Accepts mint)
Pattern recognition and learning from the mistakes of fictional characters, on the other hand...maybe not such strong suits.

* Also took a half-hour off to practice singing the Madblood Battle Anthem, to the pain of those around me. I've no regrets, though. Time mastering the "Dogs of War" refrain is time well-spent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:46 am 
Hyperkeeper

Funny, a while ago a certain Professor Tinker accepted from me a mint just like this one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:28 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

I found Narbonic via random wandering through the internet. I don't remember the exact path, but I know it involved at least two other web comics and tvtropes.org. This was sometime last fall, probably mid November. I spent the rest of my free time (and some of my not so free time), catching up. I loved the comic, and was glad to see that it hadn't fallen by the wayside but instead was undergoing re-runs. I actually didn't discover Skin Horse until Monday, so I'm glad to see the mad science continue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:23 pm 

I discovered Narbonic through Girl Genius-they highly reccomend it. I read the archives during my week off work,couldn't afford to take a trip. And I have DIAL UP! Took forever,but worth it. The print copies on on my buy when I get some extra cash list.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:13 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

Well, I was going to post my story of finding Narbonic, but I keep getting a "Mr Spammer" message. :( Oh, well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:28 am 
Moderationator

Pooga: I have been told that going back and editing your post once it's posted will circumvent the spam lock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:32 am 
New Madsci

Somebody on a newsgroup I frequent linked to a particular comic on a page full of comics by different people. They were all four-panel strips, so the page looked like a newspaper funnypage. I read all the comics and the one I liked best involved a bird ( a snowy egret, I believe) and a gator, and the egret seemed to be in love with the gator and I was curious. Immediately above this comic was a link to Narbonic, a word with no meaning that I presumed was the name of the egret or something, so I clicked it, and it took me to the Diamond Mines of Brazil. Which I thought was odd. I don't remember why I bookmarked it, but I did. It was on Modern Tales then and you had to pay to read the archives and we don't have paypal, but I came back a couple of days later and the archives had been opened up for promotional reasons.

I don't remember exactly why I needed a big distraction right then, but I did, so I started reading the archives. I read straight through but at that point there was so much of it that it took me the better part of a week. And lo, it was amazing.

But I still have no idea what the deal was with the egret and the alligator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:11 am 
Hyperkeeper

Quote:
...so I clicked it, and it took me to the Diamond Mines of Brazil.

Strangest story I ever heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:18 am 
New Madsci

Then may I recommend that you google "giant shrimp laundry room" and embark on the wonderful world of weird? Also words like "Fortean," "window area," and "Oz effect." Much stranger stuff than that goes on all the time!

I'll come back in a minute with a direct link, but this is only my third post and I'm pretty sure that's not enough to reassure the spam patrol.

Edit: Here we go. Oh, and Obi-Wan's UFO-free Paranormal Pages has good stuff, too. Look under "D" for "Dancing Cows."

http://www.strangemag.com/firstperson.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:25 am 
Moderationator

Peni Griffin wrote:
But I still have no idea what the deal was with the egret and the alligator.

Ah...that was a series of guest strips I did for the wonderful Little Dee, by Chris Baldwin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:35 am 
New Madsci

Okay, thanks! Now I know. (But now I have another comic to read, too. Big hardship.)

I also know exactly why I needed to be distracted. Sheesh. Thank God I had Narbonic to distract me from that!! 2005. Worst. Year. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:55 am 
Moderationator

Same here, only 2002.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:37 am 
New Madsci

I think every year is "that year" for somebody, and that's why the arts are so important! Sometimes, the only way to retain your sanity is to escape reality for awhile.

Post subject: Sanity
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:17 am 
Mysterious Stranger

I did not know you had done some of little Dee that is how I found Narbonic and thus skin horse. Comics have been my Prozac for a long time at least since my year in 1993 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:04 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

I registed a while back when we were still on The Nice.

My approval came through shortly before the forum move.

Post subject: Re: Regarding Narbonic...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:11 pm 
New Madsci

I think I found Narbonic when I was first started reading webcomics (say, within the first year). There's some vague memory of cruising the web cartoonists' choice awards for reading suggestions. I think I read through the archive within a week only to read it would be ending within a month. It was like making a friend and having them move away.

So I was very glad when Smithson and Skin Horse were announced. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:28 am 

I found Narbonic through an interesting maze. i was googling for "Agatha Hetrodyne" because I was bored one day. I found a fan picture showing a bunch of female characters (I think they were mad scientists) that included Helen in it. The person gave links so I followed them. The first two where not that interesting but when I found Narbonic, it caught me instantly. This was like a month ago. I actually started reading the director's cut before the archive.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:30 am 
New Madsci

When did I start? Very recently actually...

I came home from a meeting with my boss. We just made a new mutant virus and I asked if he wanted to try it out on the mice. He said something like, "Well, I'd love to, but the mice facility people wouldn't be too happy, because we have no idea what it does and it will probably be super-lethal, spread, and kill all the mice in the building." When I got back to my place I wikipediaed "Mad Scientist" because I was thinking how accurately it describes a lot of scientists I've met. One thing linked to another, and I procrastinated my way to the "Narbonic" page. I completely stopped studying for my final exams and went through the archive, reading some stories twice. Then I caught up on Skin Horse (AWESOME) and Lil' Mell (also awesome) as well as reading over Trunktown over the next couple of weeks. I tried Smithson but I just never really got hooked. Now I eagerly await new strips, follow the reissue, and save up to get some books. Oh yeah, and the next time I am in SF, I am SOoo going to the museum.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:26 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

I believe the path (recently taken) was Get Mediaeval --> Dumnestor's Heroes --> Skin Horse --> Narbonic.

I read the Narbonic archives over the weekend. :)

The Auld Grump

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:46 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

Hawkwolf wrote:
I found Narbonic through an interesting maze. i was googling for "Agatha Hetrodyne" because I was bored one day. I found a fan picture showing a bunch of female characters (I think they were mad scientists) that included Helen in it. The person gave links so I followed them. The first two where not that interesting but when I found Narbonic, it caught me instantly. This was like a month ago. I actually started reading the director's cut before the archive.

By any chance, do you remember the site with that picture? It sounds familiar, but I cannot seem to have any idea where I might have seen it....

The Auld Grump

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:13 pm 

had to search for it again. Do you know how many dusty lairs I ha to search through to find it? Anyways here is the website where I found it Grump http://madaboutu.keenspot.com/d/20061101.html

EDIT: Just found out with som actual looking of the website that it is a webcomic, who knew?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:20 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

Okay, that is just sad. Guess what comic I started reading yesterday, starting with the archives. :P

Thank you for the paleontological Google-fu that you have demonstrated in finding the link - it is indeed the picture that I saw before, most likely linked off of another web comic. I am sorry that I never knew what links were there, I would have found Narbonic much sooner.

Thank you again,
The Auld Grump